Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Profbee-sounds like your DH hasa the right idea!

nim- in my opinion, the right well fitted bra should provide perfectly adequate support for everyday activities - even considering your line of work. Sports bras generally provide a lot of compression, which you don't really need unless you're jumping around while doing those ultrasounds :). Besides. the sports bras that I recommended are pretty intense - they are not that comfy to wear all day - and that comes from someone who wears workout clothes most of the day. Between classes, I'll often change out m sports bra for a plain unlined underwire bra - which is exactly what I did today !

• val61

Pink butterfly-here's the scoop..... For the first 3 or 4 months post-exchange, the goal is to allow the capsules (pockets) to form in the right place. Underwires really help that process, but they do it best if snugged right up next to the implant. Any padding on the wire or the cup inhibits that. That's why I recommend unlined underwire bras. If you've hung around here long enough you know I'm not a VS fan - and it's primarily based on personal experience - they're designed more for sex appeal and fashion than function. I personally wouldn't wear a bra with that much padding this early. After 3-4 months, then occasionally is okay. I still find that even very lightly lined/"padded" bras aren't that comfy so wear them only when I need a smooth line. Sorry......remember though......just MY opinion!

• pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130

Thanks Val61. I did not know that the padding could inhibit proper settling of the implants.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304

Blerg.  Nordies isn't contracted with my insurance.  I just called the local place that is (the one with the grannie bras) and the rudest woman said that there wouldn't be an appointment for at least a week.  She was so rude that my heart is pounding right now.  I'm going to Nordstrom's down near Boston on Saturday and paying for the bras myself.  Maybe afterwards I can see if there's a contracted place that carries the same type I find there.  Arrrgh.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Herrom is having a 70% off sale!  

http://www.herroom.com/final-sale,1043,5.html

• HantaYo
    HantaYo Member Posts: 39

Namaste!

I am bra confused and challenged.  No Nordstroms with in 4 hours drive one way.  Local mastectomy shops only have small selections of prosthesis bras to try on and then you order based on what might work.  Pre BMX was 42 C.  During time I was in prosthesis I wore 42 B. Post exchange to Allergan 410 MX 685 I had a rib cage measurement of 38 and over mound measurement of about 41.  Charts on line put me at 42 AA.  VS measured me at 38 C, Penney's 40 A, Von Maur's (highest end possible in area) 40 C.  My current rib cage measurement is just under 35 (lost some wt) and over the mounds 39.5.  I have tried on hundreds of bras in multiple styles and sizes.  I have found no perfect fit.  I think I need to cut and sew one myself.  It is reall important for me to figure out a wired size because I am going to be having a revision.  (I have been going to have a revision since Sept.  but the consults and searches are taking a long time).  The revision will be for a non cancer side slippage in the inferior/lateral region.  Capsulorraphy was done at exchange because the TE had gone that same direction.  Sooooooo, as I have read I will need to find excellent lateral and inferior wired support to support the implant so it has a good chance to decide to stay in place.  I was in a non wired surgical support bra for 8 weeks 24/7 after the exchange with capsulorraphy but it didn't prevent the droppage. 

What is currently not working or partially working for me is: 

My mounds are very close together so wires can not go up between them.  Wire needs to stop low centrally or else they sit on the implants regardless of size.

An amoena non wired 40 B on the tightest hooks is comfortable (I cut out the pockets) but the side seams lie on the implants laterally.  This is the only one that I feel I fill the cups.

A 38 D wired Warner's padded plunge is the wire that seems ??? laterally to have the best fit with the wire, however the cup goes mostly unfilled and I must wear something loose because otherwise the cups collapse.

A 40 C Wacoal "Retro Chic" seemed a reasonable fit wire wize.  This try on was before I lost most of my weight.  I didn't buy it because there was so much of the cup that I did not fill.  This was the only bra that remotely fit me at Von Maur's. 

A 40 C wired Playtex padded on the tightest hooks also seems to fit wire wize, but I don't fill the cups and the cups seem to point out in a lateral direction as opposed to frontal. The center part, don't know what to call it, where the wires come together sits flat on my chest.

A 38 C wired Playtex padded is comfortable, but I don't fill the cups and the wire is partially pressing on the implants laterally.  The center part sits flat on my chest.

I tried on some 36 D wired (don't remember brand) and the wire seems to fit the implants but even on the loosest hooks it is hard to scootch it around after hooking in the front.  It feels very supportive laterally and band wize but of course I don't fill the cups.

So I think I need a D wire with a B cup in a 38 band.  Either the wire or the cup fittith but never the twain shall meet I fear.

Any suggestions on what sizes to start in ordering on line?  How long after receiving them do you have to return them?  I am thinking I need to get them here before my revision?  And will I need to be in the wired bra from the get go or will I wait until the drains are removed?  Should I try to fit the one not being revised (it is a bit smaller) or the side that is being revised (the anatomical is rotated so I don't know how true a fit I  am getting for the future.

I wish this would be more simple but I just don't know how to make it more simple.

Karla

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    karla without seeing you its hard to say what is best but I work at Soma Intimates and perhaps can advise you on bras that I work with that may work for you. If your rib cage is 35 in then you do want to get a 40 in band. If the the wire fits on a D cup but does not fill out the cup perhaps a demi cup would be best. Have you been trying on lined contour cups? I find that I have a little room in some of the contour cups but you can't tell. Soma has a few nice demi cups I suggest the Desiree or the Mimi you can check them out on their website. My foobs were a DD now they are a D but they look smaller more like a C because as most recon breasts they don't project as much as a natural or augmented breast. They are kind of flat even though I have high profile implants, I am told this is a limitation of recnostruction. But I like the way they look in a contour cup, and they do seem to help shape them as time goes on. I hope that is helpful. if your ever in the Kansas City area I would be happy to meet with you.
  • HantaYo

Namaste!

Carol thanks for the suggestions.  I will check out the website.  I don't know who will be doing my revision but Baby Doll's PS is a possibility.  If that is the case then I will definitely be down in KC a few times. I updated with a note on the picture forum today about my challenge/dilemma of choosing who to do it.  In my conflicted brain I think of it as "Breast Pocket vs Money Pocket"

Karla

• HantaYo

Namaste!

Carol, I just found out there is a SOMA here.  Somehow I have missed it in my Bra searches.  I will have to check it out after New Years.

Karla

• val61

Karla-welcome! I can imagine your frustration -you are not alone! We all struggle to find a good fit in a bra. First of all, the charts for fitting bras on natural breasts don't work very well on us. What does work is knowing the measurement from the center of your cleavage (may or may not touch an implant) up and over the implant, and ending on the lateral edge. With that number I can much better give you a cup size. Carol is right- a Demi may work best for you ( me too). As for when to get in the underwire, you need to wait til the drains come out. My PS took my drains out, then sent me to Nordies to be fitted, then had me return so he could choose the best bra for me a couple days later. Until the drains come out, you'll most likely be in a soft surgical bra or just taped. ( I had tape at first, then the soft bra til I came back to PS. I'm happy to help if you want to share that measurement. PM me if you want to keep it private. :)

• HantaYo

Namaste!

I made a mistake in my first post yesterday.  My over the mounds measurement is 39.5, so I did an edit.

Carol. What I meant by "padded" is what really is a contour cup.  Most do hold their shape even though I don't fill the cups.  However when I get to a 40 D wire, there is just too much empty cup and the cup collapses with any tightness of my top.  One thing I occassionaly do when I want the girls to be even in a bra is I use skin glue to glue the bra to the skin and shorten the strap on the dropped side. This pulls the abdominal skin up (and thus the implant) and makes the mound appear even with the non dropped side.  With glue I don't have to readjust all day long to keep the wire under the implant, otherwise the wire or band slides up onto the implant itself when I move.  HOWEVER, this makes for a lot of tension on the skin and to prevent breakdown of the skin I only use the glue when I can't turn my back for the gumby style twisting and readjusting (and occassional reaching under my shirt/bra) to get the implant back in the cup.

Thanks Val.  Here are the measurements.  I only have about 1/8 of an inch separating the implants at their closest part so it is really easy to choose where to start measuring.  Amazingly the measurement is the same at 9 7/8 inches give or take a pinch.  That is even with the left gummy having rotated 90 degrees. The top has rotated laterally and so the "swell" is directed more medially while the right one, has the swell toward the inferior aspect of the implant.  I really think that if the implant had rotated WITHOUT dropping I could live with this without revision. But no such luck.  The docs say it rotated as a result of the tissue failure in that inferior lateral area and not vice versa.

Thanks for your help. It is kind of a relief knowing I would not have a wire on a drain.  I was of course invisioning the discomfort.  And I am a drainer, I drain forever.  What kind of tape would they use to support the implant?  I am not allergic but my skin doesn't do tape very well.  What about something like coban, would that work instead or would it have too much give.

Karla

• Carrol2
    Karla yeah I should have told you to wait until your doctor says its ok to wear a bra. I was ina  surgical for a few weeks, and i had tape and a velcro strap for a few weeks. I think it was a month before he said to start wearing underwire. I had drains for abut 5 days. I met with babydolls guy Dr. Rast. He was super nice. I just went for a consult and he agreed with everything my doctor did so far. If you are in town def PM me I would be happy to show you around or assist you in any way. I may actually be in Omaha end of March. 
  • sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Hi Ladies-just wanted to let you know Victoria's secret is having their semi-annual bra sale. They have the lace sling that MJB talked about before. I ordered two in small (small is a 6-8) shirt size. Here is the item # if you want to check it out 275969 for $24.99. or just type in lace sling and it will bring up the three styles they have on clearance. The only bra I can wear from VS is the dream angels demi in a 34D. No padding, just lightly lined.

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214

Hello, I wanted to find out how soon after exchange did you start wearing an under wire... I was on the pic forum and checked out the post your bras but there is so much I couldn't find where anyone commented on how soon they started. I did look over cameron's thread and she wears an under wire bra 24/7 , I keep thinking ok this part is done than I read and get stressed all over again... thanks for the info.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304

Okay, I have ANOTHER dumb question.  What/where is the pic forum?  (My doc said I could wear an underwire right after the exchange--each doc is different.)  I went to Nordies!  Not covered by my insurance, but PRETTY!  

• val61

Welcome, tracie! Hillck very succinctly summed it up - I don't have much to add! PS's are as different as we are, and although I ALWAYS recommend you follow your PS's directions, we are here to help if by chance you have one of those PS's who doesn't have firm bra beliefs. I still wear underwire pretty much 24/7, and my exchange was over two years ago. My PS uses drains at exchange, and my body LOVES those things.....wants to keep them as long as possible....:).....so when they finally came out (well over a week post-op), my PS put me in a soft bra (Warners's "Elements of Bliss" unlined #1003-I think) then sent me to Nordies to be fit in underwire. I returned a couple days later for him to choose from the bras I found. From that point, he had me wear the underwire 24/7 VERY TIGHT (band and straps) for 4 months. After that, he allows a non-wire bra for sleep, but for me - I had an implant that migrated- underwire for sleep provides more support. Believe it or not, you get used to it....honest!

Profbee- sorry about the insurance, but hope you still were able to get a pretty bra or two. It's amazing how wearing something pretty can make you feel just a little bit more normal!

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158

Hi all!  Hope your holidays were wonderful.

My PS said I don't have to wear a bra 24/7.  I now sleep in an underwire (Freya!) though, and feel like the foobs move too much if I don't.  It is more comfortable to me.

Nordies had some good bras on sale at the Half Yearly, too.  In case anyone is interested Kiss

• Carrol2
    Tracie my PS had me wearing underwire  2 months after my excahnge just during the day and a sports bra to sleep in.
  • tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214

carrol, Mine just said wear your sports bra for a few more weeks than what ever you want... I just get so confused as to what I am supposed to do... I am going to go get fitted tomorrow and see where I am at at least

Thank you everyone for your posts... I wish all PS had one freakin answer.

• val61

Bra sale alert!! If you have a Neiman Marcus near you, they may be in Last Call (or will be soon) and they have FANTASTIC prices on GORGEOUS bras! I popped in there today and in addition to restocking my HankyPanky collection ( my fave "knickers"), I got my favorite racer back bra - Chantelle C-Chic 3581 - for $23, retails $68! I also picked up a Le Mystere (which usually doesn't fit me). This one -#852 "Victorienne" - runs small in the band and big in the cups, so a 32C worked just fine. It has a 3-part cup, which we know is the BEST for support, right? It also has side slings for additional lateral stability. All this for only $25 , retails $72! That's all they had in my size. Im still drooling over this La Perla taupe sheer lace bra that was too big :( There are a few bras remaining on the NM website, and they're at great prices, too, so worth checking out. ( I won't tell you about the gorgeous black lace skirt I also got, though.........:).

• val61

Tracie- yes, PS's don't all have the same recommendations for wearing bras, but then again, physicians from any discipline differ in certain areas, so it's not surprising. Always follow your PS's rules, but if he/she says "do whatever you want", then do exactly that! If you need information to help you make your choice, then we are here for you. Your body will most likely let you know what it needs, too....

• HantaYo

Namaste!

Thanks for the PM Val.  I hear what you are saying about difficulties fitting a sort of eliptical anatomical gummy in a round wire.  (square peg into a round hole dilemma). And then there is the slope instead of fullness in the upper pole which thus makes it difficult to fill a cup.  Add my "bodacious" chest that swallows up the implants and you have a signifant challenge to success. 

But I must persevere because with my upcoming redo of the capsulorraphy for the bottomed out implant I have been told by the Ps that I will need to be in an underwire 24/7 for 3 months.  So I will try a demi cup that Carrol and you have suggested and in the several sizes you mentioned.

Meanwhile, I would like to run by a bra past you and others that I tried on yesterday that fit good but I still had concerns about.  It was at Sears and was a Bali Lace Desire "minimizer" in 38 C.  Now, there is NO WAY I want to minimize any projection, but it did not seem to have that affect on me, just that the cup was more "Karla size". The wire also seemed to fit better than most 38 C wires.  The band and cup are mostly made out of a stetchy net type of material with the lower part of the cup lined with a thin smooth nylon (which unfortuately bunched just a bit).  The band was in two parts of the same stetchy net.  The back band and then a section that bridged betwen the wire and the main part of the band.

The concerns I had with it was that the fabric covering the wires was very very thin.  Also, while it felt very supportive at the time, the overall product seemed flimsy or fragile or cheap or something of that nature.  I did not get it because at $35 dollars (and I know $35 is not a lot for a bra) I thought it was too much for something I was not sure would be durable. 

Do you Val or anyone else have knowledge of this Bali bra, or the general durability/quality of Bali bras generally.  Or is their something that would fit very similarly in a higher end bra?

Thanks so much for your help.  This is like getting ready for an adventure trip.  One needs to take care of a lot of details ahead of time or your adventure might turn into a disaster. If I had approached my BMX and reconstruction from the get go like I approach planning an outdoor adventure trip, I would have had less suprises and probably smoother sailing.  I was so scarred at the beginning I was not operating on all cylinders.

Thanks you all,

Karla

• virtual
    virtual Member Posts: 8

Hello, I'm 5 weeks post exchange to 425cc High Profile Mentor Silicone.  I was measured yesterday at Soma and VS and both measured to 32C.  I'm 5'3", 110lbs. 

My PS said to stay in a sports bra for 3-4 weeks then no bra is necessary but I can wear a bra if I want to.  I'm still wearing the sports bra 90% of the time but will occasionally go 6-7 hours without anything and feel real good.  I did just order some underwire bra's yesterday though after trying some on.

I had minimal pocket work on my outer upper areas and no IMF work done during exchange.  I'm wondering if there is a correlation between underwire bra need, IMF work and overall size? 

• Carrol2

virtual which soma bras did you get?

• virtual
    virtual Member Posts: 8

Carrol2, I was given a $100 gift card to VS, so ordered VS bras. 

Both shops measured me at 32C, but I only tried on bras at VS and the sales associate moved me to a 32D in the VS Showstopper and Body by Victoria bras.  She initially gave me demi bras to try in 32C and I think I was shocked at how much was visible over the top, I've never been so full breasted before, so she moved me to 32D full coverage bras.  I literally looked like the VS models (breast area only!) and I'm still coming to terms with that being attractive.  I'm so used to the conical small breasted look.  I'm already getting used to them and getting quite the chuckle everytime I think of it.  I do believe VS bras run small to make it seem we are bigger.

I was pleased with both Soma and VS associates.  Treated me very kindly and professionally.  Soma measured across the back and missing nipples area.  VS measured across the back and above the implants but both came up with 32C.  I did the herroom.com measurement and came up with the same 32C/34B so it was nice to get confirmation. 

• Carrol2

virtual glad you had a good experience. I actually really like how I look in a demi cup but I have a very natural slope. Just came from my PS and he said the underwire is really helping. I am only 2 months out and he thought I was 4 months. So things should only get better from here. I am very happy with how I look in a bra. The instructions were to just keep doing what I am doing and come back in march to decide what the next surgery will be.

• HantaYo

Namaste!

Good news Carrol!  Have you updated your pics on the pic forum.

Karla

• Carrol2

OK Karla jsut updated my pics on the forum I am dislexic so thread is called

10 weeks post excahnge 

• val61

HantaYo- I personally don't know too much about that particular Bali bra, I'm sorry to say. In general, though, a "minimizer" style SHOULD be quite supportive, since it's designed to make "the girls" smaller than they appear......kinda like the passenger side rear view mirror......:). Bali bras fall in the "midrange" category - less "technical" materials and construction are used. Not bad, but the little things -like covering the wire, strap adjustments, etc are likely lower quality. If it fits, tho, then BUY it! Fit is more important for you than material, I think. And I'm totally with you about our preparations for BMX......though ji wonder just how prepared anyone can be to cut off parts of her body.......

Virtual -I'm glad you are comfortable without a bra for such extended periods. I have the exact same implants, and I can't go over a few minutes! There really isn't a specific correlation between size and underwire need, per se; anyone can benefit from underwire for stabilization and support. As for IMF work, my incisions are not IMF ones, though my PS did have to modify the IMF on one side st my initial exchange. For those with IMF incisions, underwires are often contra-indicated for the first few weeks, depending on the PS' preferences. Glad you had good experience with VS and Soma!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Carrol2- I went to Soma and they were great. I got the vanishing back bra. I will definitely be going back for some of those jammies that wick the night sweats away!