Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130

Dawne -Hope

Thanks again for the info.

Had my fitting yesterday at Nordstroms. The fitter seemed very knowledgeable. I measured a 34 D at 4 weeks post-op. she wanted me to come back in 2 weeks to confirm and try on some bras, after I'm officially cleared by PS. At least I know where I stand in terms of size. Definitely smaller than I was immed after exchange, due to swelling going down, but I think it suits my frame. Hoping for no major changes, except for this rads side to drop a little...

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

My dear bra buddies........I've missed you all!!  I just wanted to pop in and let y'all know why I haven't been on in awhile.  The first weekend in the month, my mom became gravely ill, and I had to emergently fly home, where I stayed for ten days.  Knowing that I couldn't attend to this thread, I asked Dawne-Hope to take over, and I know she did a fabulous job.  Thank you, DH!!!Smile The good news is that we got our Christmas miracle and my mom pulled through, leaving the hospital just a couple days ago and is now in a rehab hospital. Yippee!!  However, as you can imagine, my Christmas preparations are quite behind, so I'm madly trying to catch up.  But who isn't crazed these days, right?

I wish you all beautiful, peaceful, and happy holidays with family and friends........and may Santa leave you a pretty bra under your tree!   

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Val - Sorry to hear about your Mother but so glad that she is improved and in a rehab hospital at this time. Sending you hugs and prayers for your Mother's continued improvement.

• Val

So glad things worked out for your mom. I will keep the both of you in my prayers. Try not to let the craziness of this season take over. Blessings to you

Liz

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Hugs Val!  Glad your mom is doing OK.  Happy Christmas!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

val - Welcome back, we missed you!  Great news about your mom!  xoxo  Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317

Dawn Hope

When I talked to the Nordstroms near me, the specifically said that reconstruction was just like augmentation.  I even talked to the manager, mentioning that I had read on various online sites that Nordstrom's would help with the paperwork and insurance etc etc. 

But heck...if others have been able to get free bras and fitting from Nordies other places--jackpot! :)

Went back for my other bras today.  This is what I have:

Wacoal 856192 (I now have 2 of these in beige)

Grenier 8495 (in a pretty chocolate brown, black and beige)

Grenier 8564 (in beige)

Anita 5731X  (white with orange and pink flowers)

I like the wacoal the best for tee shirts and tighter fitting clothes. The others make me feel better when I wear them because they are so pretty.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Happy Hanukkah & Merry Christmas to all of you.  Thanks for your posts, recommendations for great bras, reminders that there can never be to many bras, misc. advice and for your friendship.  Hope 2012 will be a banner year for everyone.  Jan

• rayhope
    rayhope Member Posts: 75

I had my exchange surgery over 2 years ago, and one of my implants is too close to the armpit.  PS suggested wearing bra 24/7 for few months, but it didn't help. I really don't want to have revision surgery, so I'm just looking for a bra that will help correct the problem.  I need LOTS of side support. I've been wearing a VS bra, which I now realize is probably a mistake.  Surely, there is something better. Any suggestions?  

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846

rayhope,  I am sure one of the experts will chime in soon.  I was bra shopping today and saw some bras specifically where labeled with "side control/support", don't remember the brands specifically. 

• Estel

rayhope - Good side support bras are listed in the header.  Also look at the links posted in the header ... herroom, barenecessities list bras that give side support.  

Here are a couple of links to some bras that give side support:

http://www.herroom.com/fantasie-2182-elodi-underwire-with-side-support-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-5922-pollyanna-balcony-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-4201-faye-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

There are others ... and Val61 and whippetmom are the real bra experts but these three are all good and will give you the support you need. Also ... sleeping in a bra will help keep your implants front and center.  Some of the gals here sleep in an underwire.  I sleep in a zip up the front sports bra.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble.  It is a common problem for the implants to shift over to the armpits and why wearing a good bra (don't be shocked at the price, they really are worth it!) is so important.   

Keep us posted.  If you are near a Nordstroms it would be well worth it to go and get fitted by a 'surgical fitter.'  Call and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter' because they are especially trained to help women like us. It is important to wear the correct size if the bra is going to keep everything where it needs to be.  (see the header above for how the bra is supposed to surround and completely encapsulate the implants). If you are not near a Nordstroms, some specialty bra/masectomy stores can be helpful ... but go to a Nordstroms if you have one nearby. 

• Estel

CorinneM1 - That is so strange.  That has NOT been the experience of several women on here.  I don't have insurance so I wouldn't know ... but again, it is not the experience of several women on here.  

Nice bras!  Smile  Totally get it that wearing a pretty bra makes you feel good (and pretty)  ... even though nobody knows but you.   Wink

Edited to add:  Found something on their website about masectomy bras and insurance... I know there is more but this is all I could find for now.  Even though we don't need a prosthesis because we have implants ... we still need bras BECAUSE of the masectomy.  

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/prosthesis-program?origin=srcontent

Lilah or Val... do you know more information?

• rayhope
    rayhope Member Posts: 75

Dawne-Hope - Thanks!  I don't live near a Nordstrom's but I am planning a business trip to New Jersey in February.  I believe there is one near the hotel where I'm staying.  I may just wait until then.  However, there is a mastectomy/bra boutique about an hour from where I live.  I guess I could try that first.  I'm thinking that I've been wearing the wrong bra and, possibly, the wrong size.

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11

Hi ladies,

I need some bra advice. I am one week post my third revision. I went to PS today and he told me to wear a sports bra that would push my implants toward the center. He said an underwire is ok. What do you suggest? I still have some swelling, and am a bit sore, because he did some lipo under my arms.

Thank you for your advice.

Nancy

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304

Alright, I've got stupid questions.  I've been reading back through the over 100 pages (you're all awesome), but I still have a couple of dumb questions.

So, those specialty mastectomy bra shops can help us after reconstruction? (I thought they were for people who didn't reconstruct and wanted prosthetics.)  I think this seems like a stupid question after reading above, but I'm asking anyway!  :)

Here's the next one.  My ps said to wear a bra 24/7 until I see him next.  My exchange surgery was a week ago today.  I asked if it mattered what kind, underwire or no...he said it didn't matter, just a bra.  I've made a plan to go down to Boston to Nordstrom's and get fitted (been reading your posts and was so pleased to see how pretty some of the ones you recommended are), but I was waiting until I was healed, swelling was down, etc.  Now I'm wondering if I'm hurting myself by wearing my old underwire Vicky's (and even some Target--I'm not that big so I never needed much support) bras.  Should I go out and get something different NOW?  

I had the Allergan 20s filled to 500 and I'm 5' 10" and about 160 lbs. if that matters.  :)  Thanks so much!   

• Profbee

No questions are dumb, only the unasked ones. The speciality bra shops carry both regular bras and prosthetics bras, but their fitters are speciality trained to handle the reconstruction patient also.

Now I am sure the bra queens will be on to answer your questions, but I would not spend a whole lot on bras until the swelling goes down, but I would make sure you have a good fitting bra that encapsulated the implant and is snug in the band, so if that means getting a fitting knowing that yous size may change over the next couple of months but buying a couple to see you through this period when support is really important. I went to get measure 4weeks out from exchange after PS ok'd underwires since yours says ok now it isimprotant to make sure it is fitting correctly. I found the whole experience to be a little frustrating because I seemed to vary in size by manufacturer and sometimes even by style within the same manufacture. I felt the Wacoal brand fit me the best right after exchange, but now I really like the Fantasie as long as it is the plunge style otherwise the center comes up too far. The Fantasie brand has really great side support which I really like. Hope that helps. Congrats on your exchange and best wishes for continued healing.

Rayhope, I live outside of Philadelphia and work in North Jersey, when on your business trip in Feb I would be happy to accompany you to Nordstroms if you would like some company, just PM me.

• val61

rayhope, nim, and profbee - I'm just getting my head above water today, but am off to teach a class now.  Will do my best to adress your questions later today!     

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for my mom!  I feel like I haven't quit moving since I came back home, which has included subbing extra classes (I'm a fitness instructor), and it finally hit me yesterday that I'm TIRED!   I'll try to take some time to "chill" (as my 19 yr-old calls it) and catch up with all your questions.   Cool

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

profbee - I work at Soma Intimates (a division of Chico's) and they have a minimizer bra called Emma. It has a sling built into it to keep breast supported and the underwires encapsulate them well with the right fit. The other thing is that the fabric is slightly stretchy so it can accomodate some size change (one of our associates is pregnant and she wears it since she is changing in size frequently). I have been wearing it as the first underwire I wore, against PS desires but what the heck he doesn't know what a bra feels like but I know why he doesn't like underwires as the incisions the BS he works with uses the IMF incisions. Fortunately my incisions are a bit above the IMF as my implants were exchanged for larger ones. I sleep in the Emma almost nightly (alternate with Selena). The good thing about the Emma is that it is a bit less than Freyas and Wacol and gives support. Just my 2cents worth as an alternative for the short term at least.

• profbee

Thanks so much!  I may be heading down to the Boston area (where there's a Nordstrom's!) this weekend, so maybe I'll get in there.  :)  I called my insurance company today and got a completely clueless person who didn't know where anything in New Hampshire was, and said Nordstrom's wasn't on her list.  The little, local shop she mentioned had a website where they had like 6 post-mastectomy bras...it looked like something my grandmother wore...not the tender care I'm looking for right now.  :)

• amom438
    amom438 Member Posts: 15

OK just saw this website. I called my insurance to see if they cover and of course they are closed. I am going on the face that it says DME is covered and since I have hit my yearly max I am going to try to get some this year. Question I called Nordstroms and made an appointment they said I needed to bring my Ins. card and my precription. Who would I get the scrip from PS or BS?

Thanks

• val61

rayhope - First of all, I COMPLETELY understand your situation......because I had the same problem.  My left implant slipped - although mine happened right after exchange.  My PS, who is a HUGE underwire bra guy, tried everything - including adding gauze pads and little pushup pads along the lateral edge of my implant in an attempt to exert some additional pressure on the implant to move.  No luck.  Now I realize he was pretty much just allowing me time to conclude on my own that a revision was necessary.  I did have a revision on that side, and although it wasn't much fun - it really is more painful than the original exchange - it was absolutely without exception worth every vicodin!!  However, whatever your ultimate decision, you could definitely benefit from a bra with good lateral support.  Underwire really is your best bet, and if you can teach yourself to sleep in one, I bet you'll feel more comfortable, especially if your implants are sizeable.  The bras that Dawne-Hope and Delilahbear suggested are all good options.  The bras that are in the thread header are pretty much only available online, but don't be afraid to try some anyway.  There are many similar styles in Freya, Fantasie, and Elomi that all offer side support, usually by the addition of a netting "sling.'  If all else fails, there are some Playtex bras that advertise side support (#4738, $4717).  I haven't personally tried any - or even really looked at them - but they are definitely easier to find.  If you don't want underwire, here's an option:

Bali Double Support Wire-Free #3820 - not underwire, but does have some encapsulation, so a good compromise

Hope that helps some.  Best of luck to you and keep us posted.  I'm happy to chat with you about revisions, too!  (and I also noticed our dx's were only a couple weeks apart.....and both of us have ILC.....)

• Estel

amom438- whichever one will write you one. ;)

Seriously, either one will work.

• val61
    nim - What a trooper!  Three revisions, huh?  Your PS is wise to recommend a good bra with lateral support.  It makes me CRAZY to hear that some PS's say we'll never have to wear a bra again.....ggggrrrrrr!   I digress........   If you need it for sports, then I have just the bra for you:  Bendon's "Max Out."  It is by far the best underwire sports bra with excellent lateral support that I've found.  Several running blogs also agree.  My second favorite is lululemon's "Ta Ta Tamer'.  It's wirefree, but amazingly does an excellent job of keeping the implants centered.  I've run in them and often teach high-impact aerobics in them, and have been very pleased.  And for everyday wear, look at the suggestions that Dawne-Hope, Delilahbear, and I gave rayhope in the past few posts - they'll all work perfectly for you.  Let us know if we can help more!
  • val61
    anom438 - Welcome!  Most likely, the prescription will come from your PS, as he's the one most responsible for your reconstruction.  However, if it's easier to procure a script from your BS, then that should be fine, too.  I've personally not tried to get bras through my insurance, but many here have, so most likely someone will offer some additional advice.  Good luck at Nordstrom's; most of us have been very pleased with the care and knowledge of their fitters.  Let us know if we can help you with anything else!
  • amom438
    amom438 Member Posts: 15

Thanks I guess I will start by calling the PS tom and see if he will give me one. So far he told me I could not wear a bra since my surgery until last Thursday when I went he told me to start wearing one so I started to look around to see what to get and found this thread. Hopefully Nordstroms knows what I need and what they are doing cause I sure dont!

• val61
    profbee - So glad you found our thread!  Don't despair.......you are NOT limited to the less-than-lovely mastectomy bras!  Those things are enough to terrify anyone considering mastectomy.......just because we lose our breasts doesn't mean we lose all sense of femininity!  If you want/need insurance to cover some bras, then I'd suggest pursuing another person with your insurance who might know more.  For additional bras, you can find beautiful ones online; you just need to know your size.  I'm happy to help with that if you can't make it somewhere to be fitted.  At least it would give you a place to start.  Hopefully you can get to Nordies in the city, though.  Keep us posted!
  • pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130

Hi Ladies,

I read a few pages back about VS bras not being very supportive. I am a big fan of the incredible bra; it's underwire with thick padding over the wire, and it gives a very smooth look under clothes. Is there any reason not to wear a bra like that? The wire goes all the way around, does that qualify as side support? I am 6 wks out from exchange, still a newbie at this.

Thanks, all, in advance.

• profbee

Thanks, Val.  Yes, as I looked up the ones in the header here and saw how pretty they were, my hubby said, "Oooh...maybe really pretty bras will be your THING now."  :)  I think I may just have to take him up on that.  

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

amom438:  I got my prescription from my MO.  I think any of the docs would do, so pick the one you relate to best.  In my experience you can get 6 per year, so have them write the scrip for more than one & hang on to it.

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11

Thank you so much. I will check out the bras. The PS suggested I wear a sports bra to keep the implants supported. Do you think any of the regular suggested bras will offer enough support at this point? I had my most recent surgery (new larger implants and some lipo on sides under arms), was December19. My job as an ultrasound tech requires a lot of reaching and pushing movements.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Nancy