Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

another question- What do you think of the lace slings that used under bras to give a push affect. The have the wiring across the sling to hold you up. Are these ok to wear and would they are the implants in anyway. They do push you in bit on the sides and really hold you down but they give you good upper pole fullness which I am sorely lacking with my reconstruction.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

sweetie2040 I have not tried a push up yet. I do have a demi that is pretty good. I would think if you have a good push up bra you would not need an extra thing underneath like a sling.  I have no idea about a lace sling I never tried it and they don't sell that at my store. I think the main thing is to get a good underwire that fits properly under the breast and does not dig in anywhere and the right size band  that is not so tight that it leaves marks. Wearing the underwire after surgery will help it shape nicely I had pretty amazing results after a month of wearing mine.

But as always please check with your PS they all have different opinions and each patient has different needs. 

• sweetie2040

hillck-yes that's the one I'm talking about. The wiring is horizontal so it lifts up the implants from the bottom, almost like a fan around the implants. It feels comfortable enough, just wanted to make sure it was ok to wear. Yes I remember MBJ loved it. They have two styles now on clearance on VS website for $19.99 which is a great price because they were over $50 before. I order small as it goes by your shirt size.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Sweetie-Lilah is correct. Red marks are common, especially if the bra is worn tight enough for shaping purposes -which is TIGHT! The red marks should disappear within an hour or so after removing the bra. Do realize that not everyone subscribes to the tight bra technique that I/my PS advocate. As for the sling, MBJ got her sling from me - it was too big around and didnt do a thing - so i do know a bit about them. I think it's a rather clever idea, but more for fun than function. The lace isn't supportive enough to provide much lateral support really. A bra with good lateral support -or a push-up style - would do better.

Sonnet - It's great to hear you had a wonderful experience at Nordies! We love them here. Wacoals are great bras. Glad you found some that worked!

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88

Hello, Carrol, or anyone else who might have advice,

I just bought my first underwire yesterday, I am 3 months out from exchange, I was at a specialty shop and tried on a bazillion bras, with the owners help. The bra I got was a chantelle Volupte and it definitely felt good, as I said, I tried on many!!! However, today after 6 hours in had to take it off... The wires inside, cleavage side, were not right and I noticed red marks... Like if I wear this bra it will push the implants out and away, instead of Up and in!

Do I just chalk this up to a $74 mistake???? How the heck do I not make a mistake (I was with a "professional" fitter). I just want to stick to the non-underwire... Any advice welcome!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    LMichele - Ack, it's frustrating, isn't it?  The first bra I purchased at Nordstom's after being fitted there felt awful on my sternum after wearing for a few hours.  It didn't just leave red marks, I actually felt bruised and the area was really painful for a few days.  I had already washed and worn the bra, but they had no problem taking it back.  I think if it's a specialty store and they fitted you they likely will take it back.  It's worth a try.  Good luck!
  • sweetie2040

Val-thanks. All very reassuring. I do get red marks myself after wearing the underwires. For me the sling gave me a lot of upperpole which is what I lack in. However by doing that they kind of look smaller because everything is SO pushed up. I ordered it in small and it's plenty big and I think your a lot more petite than me so that's probably why it didn't fit you.

• Sonnet
    Sonnet Member Posts: 10

Van - thanks!  I wasn't even paying attention to the styles when i bought them (just put on what the lovely and talented Chaeda brought me), but I now realize that one of the them was the highly-praised Wacoal "Awareness" bra.  It is awesome!  At my exchange, I also had my gi-normous dog ears from my LD flaps repaired (seriously - it was like I had boobs on my sides!), which involved removing some more skin plus some lipo'ing around the area.  So I've been wearing an upper body support garment to support these areas.  Pre-Nodie's trip, I was just wearing a Spanx-type camisole, but the bad thing about it was that the boob area was also stretchy - it was kinda mashing me down.  In addition to my new Wacoals, lovely Chaeda also introduced me to an item called a "torsette" - it's made by a company called TC, but i don't know if this is just their name for it, or if this is a generally known support garment term of which I was ignorant.  Anyway, it has bra-strap width stretchy straps, but then the entire front is scooped out so that it comes down the sides and across the bottom of the boobs.  The back, sides, and the whole below-the-boobs part is just like any other camisole-type support garment.  Anyway, other than the fact that it occassionally wants to roll up from the bottom :o(, I love this garment!  Not only does it NOT smash my foobs, but the way it comes down the sides (just inside the place where the underwire curves up on the sides) creates extra "side support panels" and a little extra "oomph" for the foobs.  I am wearing the Wacoal underwires and this torsette thing 24/7, with relatively good comfort.  So if anyone is looking for additional side support, here's another alternative idea.

Rubalou - Still scheduled for exchange tomorrow?  If so, good luck!  Break a leg!  Or whatever it is that we're supposed to say! 

• Sonnet
    Sonnet Member Posts: 10
    Oops, I meant Val!
  • rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89

Hi Sonnet! Yes, tomorrow at 8am. I am past the panic and glad it's finally here. I am so looking forward to getting this over with and getting to go visit the lovely Chaeda myself.

Thanks for the well wishes!!!  I'll check in as soon as I can type. Laughing

• tinat
    rubalou - Smooth sailing!!!!!!!!
  • Carrol2

LMichele I agree with Tina take it back. Sounds like the cup is not the right size if it is pushing on the cleavage area. The front of the bra between the cups should be flat against your sternum so that the wire is under the breast completely and not touching your breast up in the cleavage area. I think maybe, hard to tell without seeing, but the cups sound too small. Some bras are designed to lift and separate for natural breasts so perhaps that was not a good style for you. The band should have a enough room that you can fit your finger under it easily when your on the middle hooks. The only bras I have tried myself are Soma since I work there. So I can only tell you that the vanishing back bra is super comfy for me and really helped with the drop and fluff.

everyone also

If you don't have a Soma near you you can measure yourself the instructions are on their site. If you become a passport member  and then you call me at the Soma in Leawood Kansas, ask for me, tell me you are from BCO and I can get you $20 off if you spend $100, shipping is free, vanishing back is about $48 and they have lots of other great sweaters, leggings and pjs. But I am off this week going to New Orleans wont be back until February.

• rubalou

Hi Everyone,

Had my exchange yesterday at 8am and was home by 12:30. My new squishees are GREAT!!!  My PS did such an awesome job. He ended up going back through the same incisions and put in the Allergan style 20 450cc. He brought my cleavage in and they are totally well placed.

Whippetmom suggested the style 20, 450cc and they are wonderful.

He also did some FG to my cleavage area and the tops of my breasts to soften the shelf. He took the fat from my love handle area. He told me NO bra for right now.

This was a piece of cake compared to BMX!!  I can't wait untill I can wear a bra!!!

• Carrol2

It has been brought to my attention that some people, or maybe the site moderators, may think that I was soliciting to members when i offered discounts at the store I work at. I just want you all to know in case there is any doubt that I do not, and did not intend to profit from this. I simply wanted to offer to any members a break on the price, which I cleared with my manager. But in fear of offending anyone, I will not post it again but if you pm me I will give you the details.

Sorry again if this was offensive to any one in any way. I was just trying to help out.

Carrol 

• rubalou

Hillck - I am so thrilled with them! I can't get over how SOFT they are - wonderfull. I really want a bra though. Really, really. Hoping he releases me to wear atleast a good side support sports bra when I go back on Friday.

Happy to be on the squshee team!!!  Laughing I'll be posting before and afters on the picture site hopfully in the next few days.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Ladies ... just for fun ...Laughing

I've had my eye on the Freya "Nieve" longline bra for a while.  I found her on sale at www.brasandhoney and my size was going fast so I took it as a sign that now was the time.  Wink

She's awesome!  I was concerned that the longline would be uncomfortable, would just squeeze the back fat into grossness ... but it wasn't that way at all!  She's fabulous!  She's comfortable ... and she would be great for uni's because there is some padding there and she really pushes the girls up and in.  Love this bra!  She wouldn't be good right after the exchange but for something fancy a while out ... she's great!  I'll post a couple of links where to find her ... the pickings are slim at bras and honey. I found her at another site but she's kind of expensive there.  Worth checking out!  Smile

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-nieve/u/w-padded-longline-bra/ 

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product=Freya-Nieve-Underwired-Padded-Long-Line-Bra&product_id=FRA-AA4063&size=&colour=Multicoloured 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

DH- The Nieve is SOOOOO cute! And how fantastic would it look with those adorable boy shorts?

I'm adding that one to my list for sure!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Did you get the longline version DH?  I think that this bra would be very good for support and lift.

Freya Nieve Longline Bra

• Estel

whippetmom - I did!  Love it!!  Lost nothing in side support ... very supportive and very comfortable too!  Doesn't give a ton of support in the cups (coverage) ... so wouldn't be good for right after exchange but I wore it all day and I didn't hurt at all ... which is huge for me.  And it is padded a bit so it would be great for uni's ... to even things out if need be.

And yes, Val ... the retro undies are awesome too!  Kiss 

• Estel

Also concerning "Nieve" ... I'd read that the band ran big that it ran small ... for me .... the band size was a little big.  Not enough of a problem to return it ... but just for FYI.  It definitely fits looser than the "Pollyanna."

• whippetmom
    Good to know.  I find that I can go down a band size in Freya more so than any other style.  That bra is so retro.  It is on my list now...Wink
  • Estel

hillck - I haven't been able to find "Edina" anywhere except Nordstroms and Nordstrom's doesn't carry it in a 30 band.  So ... when it comes available on herroom or barenecceties, or one of the UK sites ... I'll have to get her!  :)  

I can't wear Freya "Monet" or "Keisha" they don't work for me at.all.  They're made for perky breasts with projection ... that I don't have.  The fit/style just doesn't work for me.

I'm sorry that Nina doesn't work for you .... she's a beauty and on my wish list.  I have Lacey and she is ok on me. The cups are a little big but not so much that I can't wear her.  I've never tried "Faye."  Our bodies are so unique ... it is strange but kind of cool too that what works for one doesn't work for someone else.  I'm sorry you can't return "Lacey."  Sometimes on ebay ... you get irregulars even though the seller says it is brand new and perfect ... some I've bought on ebay have been different than what I've bought on herroom or bareneccesities.  So I wouldn't write them off forever ... if you get a chance at a store ... I would try them before you write them off forever.  

"Sophia' isn't a great fit on me .... the way the underwires hit my underarm area ... hits right at my drain scars and hurts.... so I have to fiddle with that one to get it to work.

All of this to say ... no I can't wear almost every Freya style and it is has taken a lot of trial and error to figure it all out.  But totally worth it!  Wink 

[edited for clarity.] 

• Estel

hillck - I'm not sure if "Sophia" is the same as "Naomi."  I pulled them both up so I could see them side by side and the lace part is cut differently on them ... not sure about the base.  You can like Freya on facebook and ask them questions about the different cuts and styles.  I've done that and they are good at responding.  As I was searching for "Sophia" and "Naomi" I ran across "Ingrid" which I cannot wear either ... same cut as "Keisha" and "Monet." Cameron is GREAT at being able to tell which styles are the same ... so PM her and she could probably tell you.  I'm not sure.

• Estel

hillck - was just parousing www.herroom.com and they have new freyas on there...the "Edina" you mentioned, longline, they now have and I came across "Beau" which looks very much like "Sophia" which you like....check her out. Here is the link.

http://www.herroom.com/freya-1101-beau-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

• susanwmcg
    susanwmcg Member Posts: 36

Hi Ladies!

I am one week out from exchange but have the NO underwire rule for 3 months from my PS. These stupid sports bras are smooshing the foobs like no other. Any good advice for some non-underwire choices?

Thanks so much for sharing,

Susan

• tinat

Hi Susan,

Whippetmom suggested two to me along the way.  The first was a Warner's Elements of Bliss Wire-Free Contour #2003.  That is one that should be easy to find in a department store to try on before buying.  The second bra which is very comfy and seems to be a favorite non-underwire is the Wacoal Wire-Free Awareness Bra #85567.  Be careful if you decide to order online as the Awareness also comes as an underwire.  I've been wearing underwires for a while, but this is still my go-to comfort bra.

Good luck!

• rubalou

Susanwmcg: Same here. I am having Bra depression. My PS does not want underwires but I want my foobs to come out great like the ladies who have been doing the underwires from day one. I can not find a sports bra that does not quish me to death and PS said nothing that squishes. So far the most comfortable bra I have found that actually fits is a nursing bra and I'm not a hundred percent certain on that either. :-(

The ones with the soft stretchy breast shaped cups have too much cup where my nipple should be when I get them to fit around the implants. I am frustrated.

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365

I saw the PS today for my 2 wk post exchange check up. I got the ok to start massaging & wear a non - under wire bra. I went right to Kohl's because it is so close to me & they had the Warner's bra that you mentioned. I bought that one & 2 other's by vanity fair #72297 & # 72243. I haven't fluffed & dropped yet :-(... But the implants look so much better in these bras than a sports bra.

• tinat

rubalou - You're not alone.  I have returned 3 bras for every 1 that has worked.  It has been very frustrating.  Even after getting the OK to wear underwires I had a difficult time.  I think the MX leaves some of us with bonier chests than we had before BC and it's hard to find an underwire that fits just right.  Hang in there.....it's a learning process, but you'll get there!

Have you tried the Warner's and Wacoal mentioned above?  The Wacoal is super comfy and really supportive for a stretchy bra, but the cups might not work for you.  What about the Warner's?  That was the "training bra" that Whippetmom suggested and the first one I wore after the surgical bra.

Good luck!

• whippetmom

The "Elements of Bliss" bra Tina mentioned also comes in a wireless "lift" version, for those who can use the lift. 

So you can go to Macy's or Dillards or Kohls - all have this bra - or if you know your size, buy one on Amazon.com [they have some colors on sale for $19.99] or Ebay...