Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi all---I am also joining the August chemo group--I have read through the postings and it is a great communication. I would say that I am happy to join but.....not really happy but necessaryUndecided

I was diagnosed with IDC on July 5th, had partial mastectomy with SN biopsy and axillary dissection on July 19th. I am meeting with my oncologist on July 27th to get the rundown. They had told me after my biopsy that I was looking at chemo/radiation. This is my second cancer diagnosis in one year (previous was cervical--radical hysterectomy resolved that--didn't touch any lymph nodes or surrounding tissue). Then....just when I'm about to celebrate....

I am not yet sure on the type etc of chemo treatment--will learn more next week. I have shoulder length hair that I plan to cut short based on what the oncologist tells me about the treatment--then I will let my two young boys--buzz cut my hair (sounds good right now Undecided may decide differently then!) I wasn't planning on wearing a wig--but not sure how I will feel when I am actually bald--may change my mind then--I was planning on rocking the scarve look in the meantime--get some cool scarves.

For those that have already started chemo--any tidbits of info for your first chemo--stuff to bring/questions to ask.

Thanks to all, Rachel 

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

I get my port in on Monday July 26,...I start Chemo August 2,...

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hi all I need support...Below I will share my journey...The last two months has been a whirlwind...I never expect to get breast cancer at 37...

May 24 - Went to a GYN appointment for uterine fibroids and doctor found lump.

June 2 - Breast ultrasound and Mammogram, discovered two clusters of micro-calcifications in left breast

June 9 - Met with Breast surgeon

June 16 - Stereotypic Biopsy

June 21 - Diagnosis: 06/21/2010, DCIS, Grade 3 & IDC, Stage II, Grade 2, PR+ HER2+ER+

June 30 - Lumpectomy, 2 cancerous lymph nodes removed

July 7 - Pathology report stated 11/13 positive lymph nodes; in addition, my margins are not clear.

July 14 - Met with medical Oncologist, he wants me to start chemotherapy before another lumpectomy or mastectomy surgery to clear margins.  He gave me a BCRA test. 

July 20 - PET scan

July 22 - PET scan results... did not spread past lymph nodes and BCRA test results... negative

Port insertion scheduled for Monday July 26.

Chemotherapy scheduled for august 2.

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Lisa: I love Dave Matthews and have seen him a number of times.  Once I was quite close and could clearly view his facial dances!!!!!   Truly eccentric but I love his music!   A close from Manhattan and I do the summer concert scene and he and I get tickets together so if either falls out our agreement the other had their pick of who could go.   He kind of knew this was not going to be my summer so we only got a handful of tickets.  Some of the best concerts ever: Pavarottie at the Garden; Boccelli in Hartford; Ozzy Osbourne in NY and a few other places; Aerosmith in New Haven (a few other times as well); Billy Joel and Elton John in Miami (great show); Guns N' Roses and Metallica (unbelievable) at the Meadowlands and Skid Row---they were good.  New Haven was a great place to see shows but they shut it over a decade ago and leveled it about 4 years ago b/c of architectural inadequacies suffice it to say!!!!!!

Rachel: sorry you had to join us but nice to have you Wink  That is so cute to let your boys cut your hair!  BTW, speak w/your onc b/c MOST people lose hair with bc chemo treatments but not all so don't jump the gun.   I do believe, however, if we are to be "hair losers!" we will know slightly before or just after our 2nd treatment and I probably don't know what I am talking about!!!!!!  I feel that one of these docs I talked to told me that.  In any event, wigs are great but I am going to play with the scarves as it is too damn hot for nylon hair!!!!!!!   Think about it, too, we might not ever have this opportunity again to have fun with hats and scarves and wigs etc.... I think it might be fun!  I am serious but again, the way we arrived at this point was not very desirous.  Welcome just the same and let's commit to celebrating every little thing we can while we go through this because surely there might be challenges so let's stay positive.  Rachel, though, to be honest, your story did move me a bit.  I don't necessarily feel bad but I feel like you are having way too much of an experience with this and for this my heart goes out to you.  We will get each other through!

Sohard: you have been very lucky they found this and found it before it could move.   Also thank you very much for telling me what a Pet Scan is for.  My onc told me he wanted to have one and, of course, congruent with my general resistance to too much testing, I was complaining about it!   Geez....he probably just thought he would leave me with my thoughts for the day in hopes that I might wake up to what a pet scan does and it's value!!!!  Sometimes I feel bad for the onc's and what they go through with us!   That pet scan result and BRCA result is excellent, excellent news for you and you are SO LUCKY!  I am serious and they are managing your situation so that they kill anything with the chemo before operating which is exactly what they should do.  It sounds to me like you are in good hands and even though we are all going to have a hard year, we are collectively in good hands.  We are the lucky ones...we are being cured.  Please, please...I urge you to strongly consider the nature of your next surgery.   Just talk to all your docs to do what is the most advantageous surgery so you don't have to be in this position again.  I wish you well and I will be here for you.

UPDATE on me! still on Cipro getting over infection then the port and then chemo.  I would imagine I will be starting around mid-August so when I do our list tomorrow I will put myself at Aug 15th with a question mark.

Also, if any of you have questions about the SE's of each flavor of chemo you are on, there is an existing thread for it.  I want us to meet here so each one of us knows there is a place where everyone is just like us, going through a challenging time and here to make each other smile.  It is entirely possible it might not even be challenging!  

Keep smiling...it works!
    Liz

• zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137
    Options

I am assuming I will start chemo in august.  met with onc friday and recommendation is AC 4 treatments and 12 weeks of taxol.  I need a ct scan, bone scan, mugga test and port placement first.  You could put me down for aug 15 with the question mark. 

I plan to shave my head, get a wig, scarves, hats, etc.  I am not a positive person and can't see that changing now. 

• jet3648
    jet3648 Member Posts: 8
    Options

LizzyMack,  Dont put me on the list yet.  Appears I may not have chemo after all.   Oncotyping score came back 0  Yes !! Zero nada zilch  giving me a 3% chance of recurrance with hormone therapy.   Also Oncotyping website says women with low scores receive little or no benefit from Chemo and 0 is as low as you can get. SOOOOOOOOO!!!

See onco tomorrow  and   will see if her plan of T/C 6X changes now.    I will let you know what I find out.

Jet

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

Hello, I am also part of this Aug.2010 chemo group. I start chemo TCH Aug. 19th 18 weeks then herceptin for the rest of the year. I had a bilateral mx 7/1/10. Possible rad. after chemo. I'm not real worried about any of it, but I was thinking about skipping steroids because they blow you up so much.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello all:

Jet - you are hereby OFF the list!  Congratulations and I hope you are able to bypass this part of it.   The less treatment the better so keep me posted.

IowaSue: You are ON the list!   Welcome to this friendly group of 'let's be positive because  negativity only begets more negativity!'

If anyone wants me to change the list or do something different with it, let me know.  If you all would prefer I take the "type" of chemo out and simply put dates, feedback is welcome.  To be honest, I wanted to give tribute to every person, what type they are receiving and what their start date is but I want you all to weigh-in.

Let me know and keep smiling...it works!
    Liz

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Liz - My start date is August 2.  Thanks so much for putting the list together!

• rachel5738
    Options

Met with oncologist today--chemo for 4 months (every 3 weeks) will be on FEC-T protocol (Epirubicin, flourouracil, cyclophosphamide for cycle 1-3 with addition of docetaxel for cycle 4-6). Start date to be determined as they may need to take additional nodes out--BS only did sentinel node and as one was confirmed with cancer--they need to do axillary dissection--then with wait time for recovery. I may end up being sept start chemo--but will stick here for the meantime!Laughing

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    Options

IowaSue44-

Coming over from Jan 2010 Chemo Thread - See you are also on TCH.

FYI on the steroids - they are part of the pre-meds to prevent nausea. I was on decadron - they gave it in IV form on day of Chemo, and then I took for 3 days after if pill form. I for one did not gain any weight on this chemo. Nor did I lose. Just wanted to mention that steroids are part of treatment due to the nature of chemo and really help on the nausea front. Definitely talk with your doctors if you really don't want them.

Overal TCH is very doable - just make sure to ice your fingernails and toenailss when they give you the taxotere. Will prevent you from losing them or getting the discolored nails. I did, and all my finger and toe nails made it thru chemo just fine. Didn't lose any of them. The oncology nurses gave me ziploc baggies full of ice chips. My DH helped keep them on my toes for the 1 hour infusion.

Hope this helps and good luck! 

• michelle1014
    michelle1014 Member Posts: 19
    Options

I'm on day 6 of my first chemo T/C.  I felt fine day 1-4, then day 4 late afternoon started to really feel tired.  I hadn't slept real good any night after chemo but chalked that up to the steriods.  Well Day 5 I felt horrible.  Like the worst hangover, ever!  I was soooo overtired, so last night at midnight I took two ativan and I finally slept good.  Today, Day 6, I feel 100% better than yesterday.  One thing I let get away from me was not taking the stool softerner/laxative after I got my first chemo.  I'm taking them since yesterday twice a day and drinking a lot of fluids and things are starting to move again.  Thank God.  Also got my first "fill" at the plastic surgeon.  I had bilateral mx with immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders.  The fill didn't hurt just a small prick where they access the expander port.  She doesn't want me back again for three weeks Tuesday August 10th right before my next chemo which is August 12th.  I'm really worried about my hair falling out and how I'll react.  I've been so "strong" according to everyone so far and keep waiting and wondering when I won't be.  I cut my hair a couple weeks ago just to get ready and I've had so many compliments I doubt I will ever go long again.  It's been so easy to style, but now that I like my short hair cut I get the pleasure of waiting for it to fall out.  Oh, well I have a wig styled similar to my new short cut and like everyone before us has said, it will grow back.

• jet3648
    jet3648 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Lizzymack and everyone else.

I guess Im getting kicked off this thread.  I do not have to have Chemo.   Only Arimidex for 5 years, and rads for 6 weeks.  

This is a great website. I learned so much and knew what questions to ask.   It also helped me understand other websites that I read that were not so easy to understand.

I will check back to see how you ladies are doing.    Good luck to all and stay strong.

(((((hugs))))) and prayers to all.

Jet

• donna_kay
    donna_kay Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello, I am starting AC this Thursday (July 29), and I decided this board was probably a better choice than the July group. I'm in for  four doses (every other week) followed by either 12 weekly doses of taxol or four doses (every other week) of taxotere. I'm very, very scared for Thursday's treatment but relieved that the waiting is almost over. My 81-year old mother was diagnosed with lung cancer on July 13 and my youngest leaves the nest for college on August 15. I'm doing my best to be positive and upbeat around my family and friends, but really, I'm an emotional wreck.

• lisasinglem
    Options

Michelle - I am the same way about my hair.  I cut it short and am really liking it - so much easier to take care of, and I've gotten a lot of compliments.  I also got a wig similar to my hair now.

By the way, I see you are in River Falls.  I grew up in Stillwater, MN just up-river from you.

stlcardsfan - I'm having TCH as well, and I asked my onc about icing my hands and feet to prevent neuropathy, and he said that the likelihood was low that I would get neuropathy.  I'm really concerned about it, so maybe I will bring ice anyway.  

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194
    Options

Hello fellow Augusters!  I am new and hoping to join you ladies as I am beginning chemo (TC x 4) on Monday, Aug. 2.  And boy am I ready (well, you know what I mean).  I found out about my CA on April 22, had core needle biopsy, ultrasound.  Pathology report came back looking pretty optimistic.  Then stereotactic guided lumpectomy (Lord, did that wire hurt!) with sentinel node biopsy.  1 out of 3 nodes positive, path. report much less optimistic than the first one in terms of prognostic indicators, and dirty margins.  So then left mastectomy with total axillary dissection.  Since then (June 22), I've had a hard time with a number of things.  Ended up getting four opinions from onc.'s, two recommending AC→T, and two recommending TC x 4, which was approved by a tumor board.  What they all agree on is that my case is deceptively complicated, partly by non-cancer related things, but partly because my path. results indicate an aggressive, sneaky cancer, and I'm youngish (39), but my Oncotype score was only 14.  Some other stuff too, but I won't bore you with details.  I also have a number of other health issues, so lots of testing, especially cardiac, appointments with all my docs., lots of rehab and Lymphedema Tx.'s, and difficult decisions to make.  Not just about which chemo regimen to chose, but also about some other meds I take, psychiatric complications, and about how some of the chemo support drugs could interfere with other treatments and conditions.  Anyway, I made the decision to go with the TC x 4, in part because I am at higher than usual risk for cardiac damage from the Adriamycin in ACT, and in part because one of the doctors who recommended TC has been so helpful, attentive, thorough, team-oriented (reaching out to talk to my other doctors about anything that might be relevant), and all around impressive (especially regarding how seriously she is taking my other medical issues) that I just really felt she had earned my trust.  So I finally got the call yesterday scheduling my first Tx for Mon.  

Sorry for the long introduction, but I am already grateful to you ladies for the posts I've already read from this group, and would really love to be a part of it. 

• Unknown
    Options

wher- it looks like from your tag line that your cancer is pretty common and less agressive kind (grade 2 ERPR positive, etc)  - it's the same as what I have.  What do you mean sneaky aggressive?  A 14 is a low number also (mine was 11) and just one node is good, as is the 1cm.  Just curious because the first oncolgolist I saw was really positive about this kind of cancer and growth rate and had a couple of chemo recommendations.  I made sure I saw one of the top oncologlists in the state and he is the chief of onc for a major hospital here in NJ, and now specializes only in BC.  I'm going to see another one on Tuesday of next week  since she is much closer to home, to see if they line up and then jumping into the chemo  with both feet after that.  This leg of the journey is frightening, but I look at it like the surgery is over with and that was a big part...now onto the next "big" thing to help it be all gone.  :)

• DebJ
    DebJ Member Posts: 41
    Options

Hi.  My name is DebJ and I will be starting chemo in August also.  I will have port placed August 9 and not sure of first chemo yet.  I will have TC, and hopefully will be in clinical trial for Tykerb.  I am not recieved word yet if I have been accepted, but if not I will receive Herceptin for 1 year and Tamoxifen for 5 years.  I had a right mastectomy June 21.  I am doing well but still surprized at how tired I still get.  I am 57 and "Mema" to 5 grandchildren, as well as wife and mom. 

I am so happy to have found this site.  There are so many things discussed that they just don't tell you at the doctor's office, although I have been blessed with the best BS, PS, and Onc.  Thanks for letting me be one of the group.   

• michelle1014
    Options

lisasinglem - What years were you in Stillwater.  I have a real good friend that graduated H.S. from there and she now lives in Napa, California. 

DebJ - I'm on TC and my first chemo (July 22) went great.  My side effects have been minimal as well.  Drink lots of fluids the two days before, the day of, and continue to get as much fluids as possible.  My fears were so much worse than my experience.  Ask a lot of questions while your there and take control of your healthcare.  If you start feeling strange or hurt or whatever don't be afraid to let them know.  They are there to help us. And they can give you medications to help.  They gave me an Antivan before the infusion to relax me and it really helped.

Michelle

• lisasinglem
    Options

Michelle - I graduated from SHS in 1987.  Who do you know in Napa?

All - I met with the nurse practitioner today for my chemo "training".  She didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.  I was really glad I had already had so much information from my own research and from these boards.  I go in tomorrow for a MUGA scan of my heart - a baseline before I start Herceptin.  I'll have my first round of TCH on Monday, and my first Neulasta shot on Tuesday.  I'm really scared!  Even though I know that for everything that has happened on this journey so far, the anticipation has been worse than the event itself.

• SunDiego
    SunDiego Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Add wife of SunDiego to the list starting August 9 (TCH x6) then Herceptin every 3rd week to finish out full year.
  • michelle1014
    Options

lisasinglem

My girlfriends maiden name is Lissa Abrahamsen.  She lived in Bayport but graduated from Stillwater H.S. in '82 or '83. 

Try not to be scared, I know that is easier said then done, it really isn't as bad as I imagined.  Ask them for something to relax you if you are really anxious.  They asked me if I wanted something because I was acting so anxious.  It really helped.  Good luck, you will do great!Wink

• huntreiter3
    huntreiter3 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hello All, Just got my call with my first appt. today. I'm officially starting on Aug. 4th. My treatment will be TCH every 21 days x 6 & Herceptin weekly for 1 year. Port is already in place. I already have my RX for my wig so ready to start shopping for that. Not shaving my head until it starts falling out in clumps. Not sure if I want to do it at a salon or with my family at home. Anyone want to share their choices on how you plan on doing it when the time comes? I hate that we all have to become friends this way but I'm so glad to have friends to go through this with.

• rachel5738
    Options

I also was thinking about how I will shave my hair--get it shaved at the wig place (no charge--what a deal...lol) or do at home and let me two boys do it? Not sure which way is better. Originally, I was going to get my hair cut short (currently shoulder length) but after trying on some wigs--and found one that I like--figure I will just either shave it right after first chemo or shortly thereafter--save the $ on the haircut! Never thought that I would be thinking through this process....In a year, will look back at this and laugh!

• DebJ
    DebJ Member Posts: 41
    Options

Michelle, Thanks for the reassurance.  I really have tried to research and talk with healthcare  providers and friends who have dealt with BC. Still I think of all things, I dread the port placement and having that foreign object in me for so long.  I think it's probably more of a mind thing--my husband had a PICC twice for recurring sepsis after shoulder replacement.  I hated it so.  But it was a totally different situation in all respects.  I just have to work through it.  It's so good to hear from you, and I have learned so much about preping for chemo here.  It really helps.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello AllSmile

Just so everyone knows, I will do weekend updates on our list. Again, any ideas on how to better structure the list are welcome. I think it is proper and fitting that each person be recognized and appreciated for not only their start dates but their duration of treatment and type of treatment as well. I hope you all are happy with the format.

Lisa: no problem on putting the list together and best of luck on your August 2 start date. The list is designed so we can all send positive vibes your way on each date. I will be thinking of you on August 2.

Rachel: I am going to add you to the ‘type confirmed but date unsure' this weekend. I wish you did not have to join us but I sure am glad to have you! You can stick with us right through as even me, when I actually start chemo, I am going to be going for 12 weeks so I will be lurking around this thread for a while as will many of us.

StCards: when I first your ice recommendation I thought it was worded as if I might lose my TOES!!!!!! I had to read it 3x's to realize you meant nails! Thanks, as always, for your contributions to our thread as we sure need all the help we can get!!!! Joking girls...we will be fine! I am your fearless leader....!!!!

Michelle: thanks for your information on your first treatment and how things are progressing for you. Also the stool softener idea...easy to forget unless we have thoughtful posters reminding us ;) I am glad day 6 is getting better for you and, as for your hair, when/if it does come out, 5 weeks after it is over you will start to get a decent amount back. I am pretty sure I am just going to do bald because of the summer heat, or head scarves, and you never know: you might like it bald for a while! Like I said before, this is the only time in our lives (hopefully!!) we will ever be able to see ourselves bald and to experiment with different options! Have fun with it!

Jet: I am going to miss your crazy avatar but I wish you well! Thanks for stopping by and happy trails!

Donna Kay: don't delete!!!!! Stay here and speak your mind...even if you are not on chemo!

Lisa: your short hair looks really good. Very nice cut.

Wherria: Welcome! I must say our dx's are very much alike...nearly same dx, same sneaky/surrreptitious cancer, same "why did this person get this," and you are a IIa and I am IIb. Our differences are negligible and the anomalous natures of both our cancers are quite similar. I love your avatar...looks like you prepared your fur already! It looks good. I was stunned when I read your post as our entire experience is nearly parallel. In fact, we were dx'd only 5 days apart. I am also TC x4 but don't have a start date b/c getting over infection I caused by helping someone else and causing my drain to have to be pulled prematurely as it was ejecting itself from my body and the pooled fluid got infected. Our only other difference is I went straight bmx right away; no lump or mx...I don't have much luck and was too afraid to hold onto the other one!

Most importantly don't apologize for length ever. Discuss, write, let it out...that is what we are all about. Welcome-

Calamtykel: Welcome! Our dx's are exactly the same except your tumor was about 150% smaller!! Mine, however, is a little on the sneaky side! I would not hesitate to drive to the chief of onc at the hospital in NJ for treatment even if the locals are on board with their treatment plan. The difference with him/her is that if you have to change/need a new type/something needs to be tweaked, that is when you want to be at the big hospital. Something to consider and thank you so much for joining us. We will all pretty much be together on this thread until Halloween! Let's make the most of this and, as I used to say to my friends who smoked cigarettes, smoke them before they smoke you!!!!! Let's smoke cancer, girls and have a nice holiday season!

Deb J: Welcome and thanks for joining us! A mom, wife and grandmother is why you get tired! Joking...honestly, I was bmx'd with immediate recon on June 22 and my energy peaks and falls hard daily, still. I guess it is going to take time. I am not really paying attention to it b/c with chemo starting shortly, I feel my energy might not be all that great for a while so we just keep marching toward the future and, as they say, today is a present and tomorrow is a gift so keep smiling!

Lisa: you make a very good point about how everything on this journey has been far better than the crippling anticipation of events yet to come. Don't fret...we are all in this together. At least you have an onc/chemo staff that is setting up appointments for you and taking care of what you need. I, however, have been submitted to a non-Yale, unprofessional circus where no one follows up or makes appointments. Alas I will deal with that this week as I am over the infection that stalled the chemo pursuit.

(wife of) Sundiego: Welcome and I will add you this weekend! We are going to make this experience as pleasant as possible for all. Nice to have you with us.

Huntreiter: Another August girl! Happy to have you join us. I will update the list this weekend. As for the hair, they say not everyone loses hair, but the preponderance do, and it usually starts to go shortly before or after the 2nd treatment. I am going to wait for it to start going and then I have an electric razor and I am going to have a friend buzz cut me. If I actually do a full shave, I am going to go to a barber especially as we will be in a sensitive position relative to cuts. I would stick with the comfort of your own home...you know how weepy everyone gets over bc!!! I would NOT want to be sitting in a salon! Rachel makes a very good point in that in 1 year we WILL be looking back on these ridiculous choices we are being forced to make and laugh! And if I have my way we are going to laugh our way right through chemo!!!!!!!

DebJ: the best prep you can do for chemo is mindset and everything else will be fine. Millions of people have gone through this and are walking amongst us talking, laughing, living and loving. This is only as big a deal as you allow your mind to make it. The only thing we can control is our reaction to the event because we have no control over what has happened.

On that note let's all take control of our response to the situation and, like that old 80's song goes, "don't worry, be happy!" The last time someone told me worrying was going to make a matter better was never so throw that tool away. It has no place in this space!!!!!!

What a journey we our collectively embarking on and we have only just begun. Let's roll!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello allSmile

Just so everyone knows, I will do weekend updates on our list. Again, any ideas on how to better structure the list are welcome. I think it is proper and fitting that each person be recognized and appreciated for not only their start dates but their duration of treatment and type of treatment as well. I hope you all are happy with the format.

Lisa: no problem on putting the list together and best of luck on your August 2 start date. The list is designed so we can all send positive vibes your way on each date. I will be thinking of you on August 2.

Rachel: I am going to add you to the ‘type confirmed but date unsure' this weekend. I wish you did not have to join us but I sure am glad to have you! You can stick with us right through as even me, when I actually start chemo, I am going to be going for 12 weeks so I will be lurking around this thread for a while as will many of us.

StCards: when I first your ice recommendation I thought it was worded as if I might lose my TOES!!!!!! I had to read it 3x's to realize you meant nails! Thanks, as always, for your contributions to our thread as we sure need all the help we can get!!!! Joking girls...we will be fine! I am your fearless leader....!!!!

Michelle: thanks for your information on your first treatment and how things are progressing for you. Also the stool softener idea...easy to forget unless we have thoughtful posters reminding us ;) I am glad day 6 is getting better for you and, as for your hair, when/if it does come out, 5 weeks after it is over you will start to get a decent amount back. I am pretty sure I am just going to do bald because of the summer heat, or head scarves, and you never know: you might like it bald for a while! Like I said before, this is the only time in our lives (hopefully!!) we will ever be able to see ourselves bald and to experiment with different options! Have fun with it!

Jet: I am going to miss your crazy avatar but I wish you well! Thanks for stopping by and happy trails!

Donna Kay: don't delete!!!!! Stay here and speak your mind...even if you are not on chemo!

Lisa: your short hair looks really good. Very nice cut.

Wherria: Welcome! I must say our dx's are very much simpatico...same dx, same sneaky/evil cancer, same "why did this person get this," and you are a IIa and I am Iib. Our differences are negligible and the anomalous natures of both our cancers are quite similar. I love your avatar...looks like you prepared your fur already! It looks good. I was stunned when I read your post as our entire experience is nearly parallel. In fact, we were dx'd only 5 days apart. I am also TC x4 but don't have a start date b/c getting over infection I caused by helping someone else and causing my drain to have to be pulled prematurely as it was ejecting itself from my body and the pooled fluid got infected. Our only other difference is I went straight bmx right away; no lump or mx...I don't have much luck and was too afraid to hold onto the other one!

Most importantly don't apologize for length ever. Discuss, write, let it out...that is what we are all about. Welcome-

Calamtykel: Welcome! Our dx's are exactly the same except your tumor was about 150% smaller!! Mine, however, is a little on the sneaky side! I would not hesitate to drive to the chief of onc at the hospital in NJ for treatment even if the locals are on board with their treatment plan. The difference with him/her is that if you have to change/need a new type/something needs to be tweaked, that is when you want to be at the big hospital. Something to consider and thank you so much for joining us. We will all pretty much be together on this thread until Halloween!

Deb J: Welcome and thanks for joining us! A mom, wife and grandmother is why you get tired! Joking...honestly, I was bmx'd with immediate recon on June 22 and my energy peaks and falls hard daily, still. I guess it is going to take time. I am not really paying attention to it b/c with chemo starting shortly, I feel my energy might not be all that great for a while so we just keep marching toward the future and, as they say, today is a present and tomorrow is a gift so keep smiling!

Lisa: you make a very good point about how everything on this journey has been far better than the crippling anticipation of events yet to come. Don't fret...we are all in this together. At least you have an onc/chemo staff that is setting up appointments for you and taking care of what you need. I, however, have been submitted to a non-Yale, unprofessional circus where no one follows up or makes appointments. Alas I will deal with that this week as I am over the infection that stalled the chemo pursuit.

(wife of) Sundiego: Welcome and I will add you this weekend! We are going to make this experience as pleasant as possible for all. Nice to have you with us.

Huntreiter: Another August girl! Happy to have you join us. I will update the list this weekend. As for the hair, they say not everyone loses hair, but the preponderance do, and it usually starts to go shortly before or after the 2nd treatment. I am going to wait for it to start going and then I have an electric razor and I am going to have a friend buzz cut me. If I actually do a full shave, I am going to go to a barber especially as we will be in a sensitive position relative to cuts. I would stick with the comfort of your own home...you know how weepy everyone gets over bc!!! I would NOT want to be sitting in a salon! Rachel makes a very good point in that in 1 year we WILL be looking back on these ridiculous choices we are being forced to make and laugh! And if I have my way we are going to laugh our way right through chemo!!!!!!!

DebJ: the best prep you can do for chemo is mindset and everything else will be fine. Millions of people have gone through this and are walking amongst us talking, laughing, living and loving. This is only as big a deal as you allow your mind to make it. The only thing we can control is our reaction to the event because we have no control over what has happened.

On that note let's all take control of our response to the situation and, like that old 80's song goes, "don't worry, be happy!" The last time someone told me worrying was going to make a matter better was never so throw that tool away. It has no place in this space!!!!!!

What a journey we our collectively embarking on and we have only just begun. Let's roll!

• pauljordan
    pauljordan Member Posts: 1
    Options
  • wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194
    Options

Hi all.  I'm really glad I found this group.  It's Friday morning, and I could use some cheering up.  My husband has been out of town all week, leaving me with a lot to do, including caring for a sick dog.  My best friend, whom I usually see every day, has been kind of unavailable.  I don't work anymore because of a disability, so I have been alone most of the week.  That's not a good thing!

Michelle: I'm very happy to hear that your first Tx has gone ok basically and that you're beginning to  feel better than you were before day 6.  

calamtykel: The way two of my doctors have talked to me about their concerns with my case is that the Oncotype test is very reliable, reliable enough to heavily influence Tx decisions.  However, it looks at the cancer in one way, while the pathology/cytology findings look at it in a different way.  My cancer was actually over one cm, but the system lists it as 1.  Not a huge difference, I realize.   And though my stage is still a IIa, there are some ominous findings on the path. reports (I've had 3) that would indicate a poorer recurrence risk.  I don't mean to bore anyone with details, but since you asked... There was only one affected node, but it was relatively far away from the tumor site, and the tumor inside the lymph node was on the large side, so a macroinvasion not microinvasion.  My surgical oncologist was surprised by both of these things, saying "It often means the CA is sneakier than it would first appear when a small early CA like yours has somehow move this far away and to this extent."  Docs are also concerned about some other things on path. report: extent of vascular invasion; extensive intraductal component (BTW, all the grades of the DCIS which was spread throughout the breast were 3's.); in terms of the invasive part of the cancer, it was poorly differentiated, with nuclear pleomorphism  score of 3 -- in short each of my docs explained that if my mitotic count had been just one point higher, the overall grade of my tumor would be a 3, not a 2.  They were also surprised at how much the comedo necrosis they found, again saying surprising for this size tumor.  So docs have told me that mine is a tricky case in terms of prognosis and Tx options.  I guess that's the best way I can explain it.

Don't get me wrong, I am very optimistic about my prognosis, and feel fortunate that we found the CA so early, and that it is a very treatable type.  It's just these are the things that made deciding on a Tx regimen rather complicated, for my docs and for me.Even the tumor board where my case was studied was mixed.

The other interesting things (which no one really knows how to interpret) are that I have several autoimmune diseases, which indicates that my immune system is overactive.  And one of my autoimmune diseases struck when I was 33 and caused my ovaries to fail putting me instantly into menopause, so for a woman of my age (39), I have had very little estrogen in my system for a long time (postmenopausal now for 4+ years), and yet my estrogen receptor number was 98%. So as the genetics counselor and my onc have said to me, I should have been protected from developing this kind of cancer, or at least I had extra protection than most women of my age for the type of cancer that I have.  

Anyway, enough about all that stuff.  The bottom line is I have a very treatable cancer and a positive attitude about my future and about getting through treatment.  Now that the decisions are all made, it doesn't matter anymore if my case is an "interesting" one or not. (Hope you're not sorry you asked calamtykel!)

• Beccabrite
    Beccabrite Member Posts: 5
    Options

I begin tomorrow.... can I please qualify for August?  I need the support.

Diagnosed May 27, thought first would be surgery but after my PET scan found a couple of node involvement they switched gears on me, saw the oncologist first time July 12.  Was going to begin chemo immediately, but they found a gum infection during dental work... so, two weeks of antibiotics and NOW have my port in and ready to go 65 Days after diagnosis!!!!

TC X 6 cycles neoadjuvant, then surgery, then radiation.