Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    welcome texasrose!  We are both getting our ports tomorrow.  I didn't want one initially but as i look at my black and blue arms from injections and attempted injections I am resigned to getting one.  I may be starting aug 5. 
  • Scrabblelady
    Scrabblelady Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hello to All,

I start chemo on 8/23  AC, then TH, then H.  The unknown is terrifying. But I find knowledge comforting and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start this .  In an attempt to be positive, I  am finally calling these drugs "medicine" instead of" poisons' 

Is anyone else worried about the cardio side effects of Andriamycin and of Herceptin?  My onc is giving me the Andriamycin first, and then the Hercepton to minimize any cardio side effects.  I had an echocardiogram last week but don't have any results yet. 

I plan to get my hair cut really  short before I start chemo.  I also read about using a hairnet until all the hair falls out.

Best wishes to all for a very side effect free treatment! 

• mlv2356
    mlv2356 Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Wishing to joing the group now that I have a tentative start date.  Met wiith the onc and we both agree on an Aug 5th start of 4 rounds of dose dense AC and then 4 rounds of Taxotere every 3 weeks.  This all comes on the heels of a dbl mx on July 12th.  Originally dx on July 1st (one day after my son turned 1).  Path report came back with clean margins on the right of a 11.5 cm ILC tumor, a 4mm mass on the left breast and 25/26 pos nodes on the right.  PET came back clean for mets (greater than 1/2 cm) but we assume with so many nodes that we have micromets elsewhere.

My biggest concern right now is juggling two kids ( son-1 and daughter-4) while going through chemo.  Does anyone know how bad the Taxotere is?  I've heard it is less "severe" than Taxol but what does that really mean.  We are sending our daughter to Grandma's for a month while I go through rounds 1 and 2 of the AC.  Grandma and daughter return for rounds 3 and 4.  I will be on my own with both kids for all the Taxotere.  I fully anticpate I will be fatigued but to what extent?  

Thanks for letting me join this group.  I look forward to getting to know more of you as our treatments progress.  

Michelle 

• I'm grateful that this board is here.  I spent much of today crying.  This is the first time this has happened-- even after my diagnosis I didn't have this reaction.  I've been positive, relieved relaxed and fairly happy since my surgery.  I'm not panicked or anything - just weepy over EVERYTHING.  I suddenly feel in the great scheme of things, that I shouldn't have to go through chemo --wasn't the surgery enough??  I don't mean it's unnecessary, I guess I'm just having an "it's not fair" pity party today.  In my mind, I'm THANKFUL for the chemo and treatments, but just emotionally  I guess I'm zapped.  I've been doing great until now and now I've almost hit a brick wall as I look at this week which will be an oncologlist visit and probably scans and then WAITING for those to come back - maybe that's it - that I just can't endure the thought of the "waiting game" again....that was horrible.  :( 

Just feeling overwhelmed and weepy today.  I think I don't feel well either -my son has strep and the other has been having stomach problems --they contracted something at VBS this week.  My legs are achy (always number one sign of me fighting an illness) and I'm exhausted.  I felt better after my surgery than now, so I think maybe I'm just fighting off their bug...hopefully.  

Well, so that's my pity party.  I thought I was being brave but now with all this staring me in the face yet again,it just feels overwhelming.  

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Hello All!  Your fearless leader is back!!!!

I want you all to remember we are walking among people EVERY DAY who are alive because of the profound and life-enhancing benefits of chemo.   You must remember, this is not poison but rather a catalyst to annihilate every cell, in every corner of the body that may have gotten away during surgery.   I know it is a few months of waiting and wondering what the SE's might be etc... but don't wait for them to show or even expect them for that matter.  Don't sit around waiting for the car accident that might never happen nor the airplane that is not going to come through the roof of the house.  How do any of us know what this is going to be like?  Expect the best...please....because the last time someone told me worrying about something was going to help was NEVER. 

We have picked up some new members:

Please welcome:

Calamtykel

LadyinBama  (*love your signature tag line...very nice...starve your fears!)

Zachsmom

mlv2356 ****who is also starting to get healthier this week on 8/5*

Scrabblelady

I thank you for joining this group of people who are taking care of themselves and doing what they have to in an effort to achieve optimal health.   We are in this together and if the day is good or the day is bad I want to hear from you all.   The purpose of this is support.   In our every day lives we have good days and bad days and this is just our every day lives and the potential for good and bad days exists just as it always did.  There is nothing new  under the sun except for the fact that we have extra support from each other in this chapter of our every day lives.

I wish you all the best and please remember to check the "ON DECK CIRCLE" to wish all of those starting to get healthier our most positive vibes and best wishes.

Thank you all for being a cohesive unit and for helping each other.   Remember also that their are women out there who have yet to join us and they will look to us for guidance; what we share here will be here as long as bc.org is in existence.  We can have a powerful impact on those yet to join us so let's do our best to lend strength to the future.

Liz

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    Options

Calamtykel: I wrote almost your same exact post on the July Mast forum a couple of days ago. The weeping and worrying just hit me out of the blue!  I have no words of wisdom, except to say that it did pass. I just gave into it and figured I deserved a day to cry after all I'd been through and all I'm facing (I may be an Aug start; don't know yet)  I was ok the next day. (((Hang in there!)))

Regina

• 1WonderWoman
    Options
    WEEKLY UPDATE

Good evening, all-

This is to remind you of who is starting this week, who is in progress, a few port insertion announcements and my wishes that you all had a nice weekend.

We picked up quite a few new members this past week so warmest welcome to you all:

Deb J

Omaz

Wherria

Beccabrite

(wife of) Sundiego

Calamtykel

LadyInBama

Huntreiter

Zachsmom

mlv2356

Scrabblelady

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 

THE "ON DECK CIRCLE" IS AS FOLLOWS: Members who are beginning their path to a healthier life:LISASINGLEM 8/2

WHERRIA 8/2

SOHARDBNME 8/2 -

ENGLISHTEACHER 8/3

HUNTREITER 8/4

KATHLEEN17 8/4

MLV2356 8/5

LET'S ALL SEND WELL WISHES AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS THAT THEY WILL HAVE AN EASY ROAD AS THEY TAKE ACTION TO HAVE A HEALTHIER LIFE.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 

Port insertion announcements:Zenith and TexasRose are also getting ports tomorrow.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

CONTINUED Best wishes to those already getting better...we are all going to join you soon! BeccabriteMichelle1014SPTTM

We are all on our way. A year from now this will be a memory as we brush our new fur!

Don't forget to be very grateful we are living here, in this country, where medicine is unparalleled and we are all getting treatment and on our way to a better life. There are countless countries where this would not be possible. We have a lot to be grateful for.

I hope you all have a good week and keep smiling, it works!
    Liz

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    Options
    scrabblelady - check your private messages. I just sent you one about Chemo's as your dx is very similiar to mine. Only difference it seems is tumor size.
  • omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Thank you for the inspirational post Liz!  You made me feel stonger and brought tears to my eyes.  I am so grateful you are our leader.

Omaz

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Well I saw my onc again on Friday and we agreed on August 13 as my chemo start date.  I am doing TCH every 3 weeks for 6 cycles.  I have actually already started the herceptin 3 weeks ago and so far that is going pretty well. 

Welcome to all of the new folks to the group none of us ever wanted to join!  But I am looking forward to getting my chemo started, as the sooner it gets started the sooner it will be done.  I am sending positive thoughts to everyone starting their chemo this week!

• mlv2356
    mlv2356 Member Posts: 22
    Options

Thanks Liz for the warm welcome.  I agree with Omaz - I too am grateful for an insightful, uplifting leader. 

My prayers and best wishes to the following ladies as they start their treatments:

(((LISASINGLEM, WHERRIA, SOHARDBNME, ENGLISHTEACHER, HUNTREITER, KATHLEEN17.))) 

Looking forward to each of your posts on how you are feeling and how we can support you.

Michelle

• Regina - I guess no matter how "well" we might be feeling mentally and emotionally one day, we can easily crash.  I spent most of yesterday crying and just had no real reason why.  I'm thinking about all the "everyday" life stuff and getting overwhelmed - so it's not even the CANCER that had me crying yesterday.  Finally last night I went for a run.  I had to do it - I'm afraid I need those endorphins.  My legs were achy before I went, which could be fighting what my kids have come down with or just could have been the effects of stress.  But I felt better once I went.  I took a hot bath (careful to keep my left arm OUT of the hot water ;)  and then a cold shower and felt a lot better. 

I keep telling myself one day at a time, but it gets difficult - I think about the car repairs, the repairs we need to our heating until before winter sets in - my 11 year old's birthday coming up on the 18th - just feel like I can't make any "plans".   But life goes "on"....... I want the courage to cut my hair off.  Maybe I'll just have to call my stylist and have her do it.  I have really long, thick hair.  My husband always has loved it.  This is going to be a difficult adjustment for us both.  I'm not a vain person so I don't know why this is bothering me so much at this point, but it is.  Maybe I need to get looking at wigs to make myself feel better.  I don't think I can match my hair though - it's many different colors especially now that it's summer......

Well, I have determined that today is going to be better than yesterday.Maybe I'll hit Walmart and get a couple of more of the sports bras I really love.  I'm tired of washing out the same two! :D 

Going to find some devotionals online and spend some time in prayer.  And let's find something HAPPY to do for ourselves today! :)

kel

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194
    Options

Cheers all! And Happy Survivor Day too! (That's not an official holiday, just my name for my first Tx Day -- feel free to apply it to any day you like!Laughing)

Well, I woke up in a better mood today than I have tasted in a long time.  Two reasons: finally, I get to start my chemo after more than three months of having it hanging over my head -- finally the unknown will become known and finally, with no more decisions to be made, I can feel like I am actively fighting this disease.  And second, because (it's funny you mentioned it calamtykel), I decided a few days ago that I wanted to go for a run on my first day.  I used to run marathons, then had a long hiatus from running due to injuries and other things, have started and stopped a few times in the last year, but I have really longed to get back to it seriously, but have let myself feel sidelined by the BC and two surgeries.  Almost talked myself out of it last night because my Tx team is worried about my weight being too low, and didn't want to dehydrate myself.  But I woke up at 5:00 this morning and said, "Phooey on all that, I want this fight to be on my terms!"  So I drove to a lovely forest preserve and ran for a little over a mile, not that much I know, but not bad for not having run in so long, came back, took a cool shower, pampered myself with nice oils and lotions, now sitting down to a little coffee, lots of water, and I feel great!  I highly recommend finding some way to make our Tx days belong to us and not to cancer.

On another topic, I'm interested in hearing more about how everyone is thinking about how to decide when to shave the fur.  I'm really considering doing it early (again, I want things on my terms, and I'm tired of having it hanging over my head), but there's some voice in my head telling me that this would be a weird thing for me to do, or maybe I think other people wouldn't understand why I would want to go bald even a minute before I had to.  I don't know.  My husband thinks it's a great idea, proactive, strong.  So does my best friend.  I know it's my thing and shouldn't depend on what other people think, but I still feel stuck. Anyway, I'd love to get your thoughts on this and to know how y'all are coming along with it.  Thanks. 

Good luck to everyone today, whether it's your first Tx, 3rd, or any day in between.  And thanks also to Lizzymack for being our committed, fearless leader.  I'm so grateful that you're doing what you're doing.

wherria

If anyone needs a motto for the day, try this one:

"The earth is crammed with heaven."  Elizabeth Barrett Browning 

• Zachsmom
    Zachsmom Member Posts: 39
    Options

I cannot wait to get back to exercising. I'm also a former marathoner and lifeguard so this is hard. Right now I have four drains and a picc line from my infection and the minute I'm given the green light, I'm there.

Today I was flipping out about the hair thing and my friend starting naming all of these celebrities who'd shaved their heads for film roles. Demi Moore is the one closest to my age so I pulled up an image of her from GI Jane. And all of a sudden I felt better. The image of being strong and muscular and.....well....bald sort of resonated. Not that I won't have a wig for work and socializing. But just looking at that picture gave me a weird strength. 

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi Wherria---I also have thought about how I will handle the hair thing. Originally, I thought that I would cut my shoulder length hair short and then shave--at one point I was thinking that I would be OK with no wig--but, I do want a wig. I went to the wig shop via the hospital and got talking to the person and it doesn't make sense for me to have a hair cut and then go about it dropping out, shaving then wearing the wig. I thought that probably after or just before the first treatment, I will go to wig shop--they will shave my hair "GI Jane special" and I can then just start with the wig. This seems to work for me--right now. I haven't started chemo yet--will probably start in a couple of weeks when surgeon gives green light.

• I need to run tonight too.  I am finding more and more that I think I'm addicted to the endorphins or maybe it's just psychological - like you said 'On my terms".  That is what fueled my running 2 weeks  after my surgery.  I felt like cancer was NOT going to steal this from me --not now at least - it's something I just recently discovered about 8 months ago, and I'm not willing to give it up right now!  I know that with chemo I may get knocked down, but until then, I'm going to keep going. 

I read a cool quote from Michael J Fox - he said something like "I realized the only think I didn't have a choice about was having Parkinson's - everything else was my choice."  That's true - we feel that we don't have a "choice" with surgery and chemo and treatment, but we DO have choices.  We COULD choose not to have those things.  But in choosing to go ahead with them, we choose to fight.  It's a hard and scary choice, but it's still a choice.  Somehow that makes me feel a little more in control. 

I've been thinking a lot about the hair today.  I'm getting scared about it.  I feel like maybe I should just shave it all off right this minute, but I don't have much to wear to cover my head.  I feel weird about wigs; I saw some awesome denim boat hats on one of the websites recommended, for only $14.99 - I'm going to order a couple.  That's more my style, then I can make a wig decision in the future.

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

I just got back from my first treatment.  I'm glad it is over.  But, like everything else, it really wasn't as bad as I had made it out in my head.

The first bag was steroids and Benadryl, which made me a little loopy - but I'm grateful for that.  It helped my nerves a lot!  Then the Herceptin, then Taxotere, then Carboplatin.  All in all the infusion took about 3 1/2 hours, but in the future should take more like 2 1/2.  I didn't have any reactions to the Herceptin or the Taxotere - they didn't expect any from the Carbo.  

The whole thing felt very surreal.  I kept thinking "How the hell did I get here?!?"  But, I'm home now and feeling alright.  I think the idea of what just happened is stranger than any physical effects.  I'm staying home the rest of the night just in case something strange happens.  My husband is here.  We are going to go for a short walk and then watch Mel Brooks movies.

Good luck to everyone!  Neulasta shot tomorrow. And I have a ton of medications to ward off the nausea.  The nurse said to be sure and take them as directed for 3 days, even if I feel like I don't need them.  He said that is sometimes where people get into trouble - stopping them because they feel alright,  So I have hope.

I am shaving my head on Thursday.  An acquaintance is a hairdresser and volunteered to to it for free and help me with the wig.  My terms!  Husband is afraid of my bald head, but I'm not. :-)

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Wherria, Lisa and others who started today:  I wish you all the best.  If you keep thinking it is going to be fine, it will undoubtedly never not be.  I know that sounds convoluted so I will leave you with that double-negative, grammatically incorrect statement!

Zachsmom: YES on the muscular and bald look!  I used to body build, not competitively or too "juicy" but definitely to keep a nice infrastructure and I totally wish my traps still looked like they did then because with a powerful, but slender, neck and well-defined traps, bald would look fab!  In any case, I lament the (not entire) loss of my well-defined traps but they sure aren't like they were!  Plus, it is summer.  Who cares about being bald?!  I think it will be fun and I am saving a boat load of cash on avoiding highlight sessions since dx!   Saved about $600+ so far (this is Connecticut!).  BTW, I also had 4 drains and the recumbent bike, albeit boring, is a good option.  I rode with all four drains in.   I know what you mean also about feeling pent-up, waiting to be realeased to workout.  I was not released, per se, but I just do what I want anyway!   I like working out.

To all the runners: we are bound on this thread b/c of chemo but I don't know if you all had mx or bmx but I worked and lived in Manhattan, I used to run Central Park a few mornings with a friend and those FAT SACKS that I bid farewell (little gift from bc) I would have to TAPE DOWN and wear a sports bra!  I don't miss it and if any of you runners had mx or bmx please share how you feel now!  I was a DD/E going into surgery and am soo grateful for small breasts that will no longer move but I really like working my pecs....alas everything is a trade-off,,,yeah....like I had a choice!!!!!!

Working out: I rode my recumbent bike 2 days after my bmx and still use my home gym but I just don't do any chest exercises.  It is so healthy and probably the best we can all do right now.  I used to teach Step aerobics and I just set my step up, with cushioned floor, in my basement and dragged out the old Reebok and Jane Fonda tapes!   I have an old tv w/a built-in VCR that still works and I am happy to have it!  I find also that I did not want to go far from home so I just stay right in my neighborhood when I power walk.   I just don't want to get feeling not so good too far from home!  I am like reverting to the womb under these new circumstances I find myself in!

Keep working out because those endorphins cause us to smile and you know what I say about smiling!!!!!!!!!! 

BTW, on the Michael J Fox quote: it really comes down to 'you can't control what happens so the only thing you can control is your reaction to it.'   It is 1/2 art, 1/2 science and a gallon of wine!!!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

PS-

Mmahle46 made a move to the "ON-DECK CIRCLE" today!   She is going to start August 6th contingent on the results of a few tests.   Let's wish her well.  She is one step closer to better health and a better life.

Wherria and Lisasinglem:  I moved you both to the "already getting better" category today!  Congratulations again.  

Sohardbnme: I look forward to hearing from you as well so I know how your first day went.  I also want to move you to the "already getting better" category with Wherria and Lisasinglem.  I hope everything went well.

Best of luck to you all-

Liz

• Zachsmom
    Zachsmom Member Posts: 39
    Options

I think there's a wide divide between looking bald and powerful or bald and sick. Obviously not all of that is in our control. But there was a woman in my gym who I used to see taking boot camp classes and other challenging things. She was bald (and I got the feeling it wasn't a fashion statement) but was so kick-ass you didn't feel sorry for her for a minute. That's what I'm going for....

• Mmahle46
    Mmahle46 Member Posts: 44
    Options

- Purell-type hand-sanitizer. I'd recommend getting a couple travel sized bottle as well to throw in your backpack, glove compartment, etc. (Beware the scented ones; they can smell like cheap Tequila!)

- Tylenol (painkiller) or Ibuprofen (ask your oncologist which is preferred; some chemo drugs work the kidneys, others the liver so your doc may prefer one drug over another)

- Biotene mouthwash, Biotene also makes a small bottle of mouth rinse which helps prevent/treat sore mouth. Warning: Mouth rinses and washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride -- like Crest pro-health -- may stain your teeth. Seriously.)

- Imodium
    - Anticonstipation: Walnuts, pecans, almonds, dried apricots, prunes, prune juice, Colace, Miralax, Senekot-S, activia yogurt (No need to buy all of these. See what you need & what works for you!)
    - Pepcid
    - disposable flatware, plates and cups (for times when you're tired or immune-suppressed; plastic flatware helps offset metallic taste in mouth)

- Sugarfree chewing gum, sugar free hard candy (some people prefer lemon flavor) or breath mints
    - Protein food sources (e.g., peanut butter, nuts, clams, oysters, meat, avoid soy if you are ER+)
    - unscented moisturizer

I just realized the first part of my post was missing.  This is a list I found on a board here.  I couldn't find the link again so just posted it from the word doc. I saved.  I hope this will help y'all there were a few things on here that I know I hadn't thought of.

Thanks-Mary

• Mmahle46
    Options

Sorry I have to put this in several posts....

- sunscreen (for face and for everything else; SPF 15+)
    - new or washed shower curtain liner (minimize bacteria, mold)
    - new toothbrushes (mouth is really vulnerable to infections, sores; oral hygiene is super-important)
    - another thermometer (since tracking temp matters)
    - at least one extra box of Kleenex
    - indiv packets of kleenexes (disappearance of nose hairs = dripping nose)
    - a box/packet of the flushable moist wipes (I use these wipes the first few days after chemo to prevent the discomfort/burning that may accompany urination; these may help soothe irritated tissues. Others use a squirt bottle.)

- Thing of Clorox-type wipes
    - artificial tears for dry eyes (consider Renew or Similasan brands)
    - acidopholus capsules for yeast infections if you're prone to them
    - nonlatex gloves to wear when doing dishes, etc. to reduce nicks and cuts, at least on those low blood count days toward the end of treatment.

Food

- unsweetened indiv things of applesauce
    - individ things of cottage cheese (I find smaller servings less daunting on a queasy stomach, and may be less wasteful in the long haul)
    - Eggbeaters (bland, protein)

- brown rice
    - crackers (inc indiv packets of animal crackers or Saltines to carry around or keep in desk drawer or nightstand for queasy moments. ER+ should watch out for soy -- it's in a lot of cracker sandwiches)

- dried apricots and fruit (helps with constip

- lentil soup, black bean soup, chicken broth, or some mild soup, just in case you wind up with an upset stomach and need something bland to eat
    - orange popsicles, orange Pedialyte

• Mmahle46
    Options

I bought a rice cooker as well.  I thought that would be an easy way to get bland carbs.  I made some brown rice with Lentils (protien) and it was pretty good!

Lisa-Hang in there! 

I plan on shaving my head as soon as I start loosing any hair maybe before.  My son is coming for a week from Oregon I told my kids we will have a head shaving party they want to give me a pink mohawk.  Figure it will make a nice profile picture for Facebook!

Liz-Thanks again for being our fearless leader! 

We are all strong woman and we are going to be okay! 

• youngmomof3
    youngmomof3 Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hello ladies, I think I will be joining your group since it looks like I will most likely be doing chemo at the end of the month. I am actually part of the Jan chemo thread and have already done TCHx6 which ended in May. I then had bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction on July 12th. I have had 7 lymph nodes removed and all came back okay however I still had a lump in my breast even after chemo. It does appear that chemo did help shrink some of the cancer but unfortunately it did not kill it all. My onc told me that even though there isn't any evidence of cancer in my body he wants to be extra aggressive b/c of my age(36 w/3 young kids; 8,6,&almost 2) and my type of cancer(grade 3, her2+) to make sure that no little cells snuck out of my breast before my surgery. I had a second opinion today who did not recommend more chemo b/c there is no data to support that this would be effective so she just recommended rads. However I am seriously considering doing more chemo although I'm not going to lie, I am dreading it.

I have been reading all of your posts & you are where I was 7 months ago, in the world of the unknown. I think not knowing what to expect was the worst for me but once I started chemo and knew what side effects I would have and how long I would feel lousy I was able to deal with it okay. I was very tired for about a week, very minimal nausea, food and drinks didn't taste good and a few other SE's that were just kind of annoying. Having 3 kids I was very fortunate to have help to take care of them but like I said once I got through the chemo week I had 2 good weeks which was good for me emotionally. This part of the fight is not an easy one but it is doable and you will learn to make plans around when you feel good and before you know it, chemo will  be done. I worked full-time during chemo except that I took off for the crappy chemo week. Hair loss was rough for me. I did eventually shave it off but only once it started to really come out. It took me a while to look at myself in the mirror and the first week or so I wouldn't even sleep next to my husband without a sleep cap. Gradually I became more comfortable with my bald head and now I rarely wear my wig, mostly wear my scarf in public and wear nothing when I'm at home. Kids don't even notice my hair(or lack there of) anymore. It has grown quite a bit since May so I will be sad to see it go away again but I am determined to do whatever it takes to make sure I am here for the next 50 years to watch my kids grow up and raise their own babies.

You all can do this. take it one day at a time. I would be happy to give anyone info about what I went through and how I dealt with SE's so just let me know. FYI: my chemo theme song was "Beat It" by Michael Jackson so my friends would wish me a happy Beat It day instead of wishing me luck at each chemo round. Gave me that fighting spirit and also a fun song in my head.

Tammy

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

To all: I asked Mmahle to share a pre-chemo shopping list she found on another thread on this site.  I figured perhaps it might be something for us all to look over as I had forgotten about the shower curtain liners.   It is a good reminder list in any case.

Mmahle- yes, we are all strong women and we are going to succeed :)    Thank you for putting the list on this thread.  I appreciate it.

Youngmomof3- Welcome!  Thanks for joining us but, yes, we all agree it is a dubious matter that afforded us the opportunity to belong to such a club!  We are, nonetheless, in it together so welcome and we look forward to pathing along with you to better health.  I notice you are in NJ.  I am in CT...did you do the Sloan/Dana/Yale gathering-of-opinions trip yet?  Might be worth it.  Certainly something to consider.  I am starting chemo at Yale later this month.  Yale is excellent and, even if you lived in North Jersey, travel to Yale is prohibitive especially with the traffic on I95 but to go one day, for an opinion, might be worth your while.  I can PM you the names of 2 oncs.  All things to consider.

I wish you all lovely sleep and sweet dreams!
    Liz

• justduit35
    justduit35 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello Everyone!

I start chemo on August 19th. Please add me to the list. 

I was diagnosed April 15, 2010. I had a BMX with expanders on May 25th. I was originally told that I had one 2 cm tumor and DCIS in the right breast. After the pathology came back after surgery, they found another 1cm tumor and the 2cm tumor was actually 3.3cm plus the 3rd area of DCIS. I have multi-focal IDC Stage 2A Grade 2. I had 3 lymph nodes removed and they all showed no lymph node involvement. My left "healthy breast" pathology came back from lab as pre-cancerous. I am so happy that I made the right decision to remove both breasts! I just had a feeling about it.

I was terrified of the surgery but I did way better than I expected. My only complication was an infection 3 weeks post surgery which I believe happened as a result of the saline injections. It did set me back a couple of weeks and my last drain did not come out until July 8th! The drains were the hardest part of the surgery for me.

I am now up to 820cc in each tissue expander. I have 2 more expansions remaining so I want to wait until after chemo to finish it up. 

Because my drain came out so late, my oncologist wants to let me heal before I start chemo which is why it was pushed back to August 19th. 

I am nervous about chemo. I will be taking Taxotere and Cytoxan for 6 rounds every 3 weeks. My doctor has prescribed me dexmethasone for the night before and the morning of chemo. I will also get a neurlasta injection the day after. 

Is there anyone else out there with no lymph node involvement that is getting chemo? I am 36 years old and my doctor says that because of my age, the size of the tumor, and the fact that it was multi-focal, it is necessary for me to have chemo.

I would love to hear from those of you with similar treatments this month. It is good to know that I am not the only person going through this.

Take Care,

Brit

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

I had chemotherapy today I will be taking Herceptin, Carboplatin, and Taxotere...  My next treatment is August 23, 2010...  I have 6 treatment...minus 1 today...I will continue Herceptin every three weeks for a year...Then I will be giving a pill name to be announce later for five years...  I do not feel like myself...I will post tomorrow...I been in bed since 6:00 pm...  I feel weird...

I just took my nausea med... I will write all meds I am taking for nausea tommorow...

One down...

• zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137
    Options

anyone else having horrific port pain and pain in the nect and shoulder on the port side? 

• English_Teacher
    English_Teacher Member Posts: 24
    Options

justdoit35:  I also had no lymph node involvement but will also be doing chemo (in my case, CMF).  I am also "younger" (41) and had invasive DCIS in the right breast (my oncotype score came back in the intermediate range).  Anyway -- just wanted to let you know that I was out here!  I actually start CMF later today.  Actually, I am not even that nervous -- like you, an infection stalled everything for a few weeks so I am just anxious to get this started so I am closer to being done!  Cheers, Dianna!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

Good morning all,

Add me to the group please.  I am scheduled to get my port on 8/16 and my first chemo (TAC) on 8/17.  I have a wound that needs to heal first so it may be delayed.  I am also having trouble with the A in TAC and may request a change to TC.  Too many decisions during this crazy ride.