Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Options

Comments

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2017
    Options

YKYACPW you see breasts everywhere......... and I wish I had a photo. But there is a boob tree decoration near town they light up every holiday. It is a huge round tree with white lights halfway up the limbs in perfect symmetry and the trunk has a little bit of red lights on it, just enough to look like the nipple. Thus an upside down breast. Now I don't think they think of it as a boob tree, but sure looks like one.

for those who asked, edited: update on my health, responding well to Irance / Femara, so hopeful to be gardening this year.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bluebird---so funny about the Boob tree.......Hope you are gardening soon. I was Iam) a Master Gardener, but the combination of B.C and treatment in 2014 and a sever wrist fracture in 2015 has impacted what gardening activities I can enjoy. My right wrist just won't let me dig in the dirt like I want to....but I'm not ready for a condo without any garden space yet.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited February 2017
    Options

YKYACPW you're sohappy to have a fever ---- because it means that dry cough you've had for a couple days which suddenly got worse is probably your husband's bronchitis and not IT in your lungs :)

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,822
    edited February 2017
    Options

I hear that!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    edited February 2017
    Options

Isn't it amazing after BC the things we are grateful for, when before BC we would complain to have that ailment!!!

• cliff
    cliff Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2017
    Options

here's one for you, how about the "look" you get from your kids when you stop a strange guy to ask if he has been checked for breast cancer? guys get it too.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cliff I can only imagine it must be an extra layer of difficulty to be a man who receives a diagnosis of BC Sad

Best wishes to you with keeping the beast at bay. XX

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    edited February 2017
    Options

My brother had a lumpectomy... fortunately it was benign, but they have to go through the mammograms too... ouch

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited February 2017
    Options

1. When you post on BCO and most here assume you are a woman.

2. When you wear blue at your local town's breast cancer charity day and get asked WTF?

• cliff
    edited February 2017
    Options

looks like another guy behind you.I have been pestering guys at work to get checked, in line in stores and generally any where. I used to be real shy, but this is important to me. important enough for two interviews on a local tv station so far. I plan to be there in blue when they have their pink days. at least doctors check for prostate cancer, how do you get them to check guys for breast cancer?

• traveltext
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cliff, we can't expect to have a public bc screening program for guys since it would involve needless testing for 99% of the male population.

However, men with a genetic predisposition to the disease should enrol in a regular screening program.

Which men should consider genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2
    • Those with personal or family history of male breast cancer.
    • Those with personal or family history of at least two men with aggressive prostate cancers (Gleason score of 7 or greater).
    • Men with a family history of ovarian cancer; a female relative who developed breast cancer at a young age (earlier than 50) or developed multiple primary breast cancers; or three or more female relatives with breast cancer at any age.
    • Men of Ashkenazi Jewish descent and personal or family history of breast, ovarian, or pancreatic cancers, aggressive prostate cancer, or melanoma.
    • Those with known family history of a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.

And if we can persuade the pink charities to raise awareness of male bc then men will learn to check themselves the way women do.

Good on you for speaking out on the topic.

• cliff
    edited February 2017
    Options

there actually is a public screening program run by the state of Kansas. on tv its advertised for women, I called them and asked, they will do mammograms for men too, up to 60 year of age, but not change their advertising. even an educational blurb on manual lump hunting would help. but nobody seems interested. couldnt the doctors do manual exams on men of the likely age in their offices? surely my lump could have been found before it got to 1.2 cm, if anyone had tried.

• traveltext
    edited February 2017
    Options

That's great that Kansas will do mammograms for men up to age 60. Unfortunately 65 is the average age men get this disease (55 in women). The fact that they don't advertise this means to me that they don't want the system overrun by males getting needless mammograms.

Like you, it took several months for me to persuade my PCP to send me for a scan, despite having benign lumps noticed 10 years previously and having a family history of bc. Doctors just aren't trained to look for it. As soon as my regular PSA screening results showed a concerning rise I was sent off to the urologist and was treated for prostate cancer in a timely manner.

Your 1.2cm lump would have been found if anyone cared to look for it. Often, though, these are dismissed as gynecomastia and valuable treatment time is lost while the disease spreads to become more apparent. As in your case and mine.

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited February 2017
    Options

YKYACP when you go for your MO check and instead of being excited by a 9lb weight loss....you're concerned it could be cancer again. *sigh*

• nativemainer
    edited February 2017
    Options

Clif, Travetext--thank you for pointing out the gender discrepancy in the way bc is thought of/looked for. Too true, and not right.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    edited February 2017
    Options

Traveltext,

My brother had a lumpectomy... found his was benign.. but just as scary for guys, maybe more.. and you have to have the mammograms too... totally understand

• nativemainer
    edited February 2017
    Options

Good heavens, it just occurred to me how horrifying it must be to be a man in a mammogram waiting room. I cannot imagine how much harder it must be for a guy to go through that process that is so geared to women.

• Bluebird-DE
    edited March 2017
    Options

Redheaded - maybe the left hand will suffice? I had a broken wrist, fingers and ankle from a head on back in 2015. Was in the garden anyway even with the walker, not so good but we love it right. Next summer the cancer was active and I didn't realize, no one did and not enough time in the garden. This summer, I need my garden! But don't know if I can even walk to it.

YKYACPW some peace of mind is found on breastcancerr.org

• Lulu22
    Lulu22 Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2017
    Options

YKYACP...

When the color pink makes you want to cry.

When you're excited for Halloween because you'll look no stranger than half the people on the street.

When you've watched half of every bad movie on tv (because you keep falling asleep before the end) and it takes you an hour to read 5 pages.

When you almost cause a guy in a delivery truck to go off the road when he whips around for a second look, mouth agape, clearly trying to figure out if he's seeing a man in full makeup and earrings or a bald woman.

When your kids joke about how they've never eaten as well as they do on chemo nights (cause all your wonderful neighbors are pitching in to feed them).

When you step on the scale at the doctor's office and say "Crud! Lost another three pounds."

When you have a favorite vein.

When the two things you swore you'd never get were tattoos or fake boobs and now you're happy to have both!

• feelingfeline
    edited April 2017
    Options

Good ones!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lulu---------on mark hahaha

• brneyegrl6608
    brneyegrl6608 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2017
    Options

When you joke with your surgeon about leaving too much side-boob...

• Bluebird-DE
    edited April 2017
    Options

Well I'm getting better but I sure identified with this one Lulu: "When you've watched half of every bad movie on tv (because you keep falling asleep before the end) and it takes you an hour to read 5 pages."

This topic needs the like button.

• feelingfeline
    edited April 2017
    Options

ThumbsUp

• tessu
    edited May 2017
    Options

YKYACP

when you're in tears from back pain and sciatica, but happy because x-ray showsIT'S NOT CANCER!

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017
    Options

Good news Tessu. Nerdy

• nativemainer
    edited May 2017
    Options

Smile

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited May 2017
    Options

:) Tessu

• blondedoris
    blondedoris Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2017
    Options

*black humour*

YKWYACPW Your dad is being recovered from a surgery to remove his prostate in a room with me, mum, my sister and SIL (who all have been through BC of various stages).

The Dr looks grim and says while the operation was a total success, they did discover throat cancer when they were inserting the camera. We ask, is this a prostate met or is a new primary?

A new primary, says the Doc and looks mortified as we sit about high-fiving that it's not metastatic.

(Dad is now cleared of both cancers and is finding his new normal after chemo and radio)

• tessu
    edited May 2017
    Options

ROFLMAO blondedoris! Would have loved to see that doc's face! So glad your dad's ok now :)