Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Options

Comments

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited December 2015
    Options

Amen! To that one again

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited December 2015
    Options

So say us all.............

• suems
    suems Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2015
    Options

I was just filling in some disability forms, and realised I can recite my National Health number by heart!

• slappy-squirrel
    slappy-squirrel Member Posts: 199
    edited December 2015
    Options

ykyacpw... A week without any doctor appointments happens and it's like Christmas came early.

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2015
    Options

ykyacpw ....

You've spent your entire life being that person who can spell anything and everything without hesitation, and you suddenly find yourself completely unable to correctly spell the word "restaurant." Chemobrain is a chronic condition, apparently. Gah!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,835
    edited December 2015
    Options

"Restaurant" is hard to spell correctly under the best of conditions!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2015
    Options

lisa I am SOOOO right there with you. Sad

• GoDees
    GoDees Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Options

Or when you're making yourself a coffee and you put the coffee in the food processor instead of the coffee plunger (thanks tamoxifen!)

When everyone else is more familiar with your boobs than your SO

Love this thread!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,353
    edited December 2015
    Options

When you’re preheating your latte cup but turning the steam wand knob instead of the hot water knob on a machine you’ve been using for over 6 years.

When after you've picked up your car after its routine maintenance service, find that one of the radio presets has been changed to subsitute the mechanic’s favorite station for yours, and you can’t figure out how to change it back--so you re-tune manually.

When you need to use the nav system for a destination you’ve been to many times.

When you emerge from the subway downtown in your own city and need to bring up Maps on your phone to determine exactly where you are and which way to walk to your destination.

When you don’t remember where the outlet is to plug in the electric window menorah.

When you buy tickets or make reservations online and forget to click through to complete the purchase.

And I haven’t even started my AI therapy yet!!!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2015
    Options

Chi sandy--you cracked me up about not being able to find the outlet.....been there. My plastic snowmen (3 of them make a family ) in the front yard fell over 3 days ago from squirrels or wind, and everyday as I back out the drive, I think, you gotta stand them up when you come home. today, I just parked the car on the way out and went and did it....finallyh. Not one neighbor did it for me, nor the mailman.....

• jjontario
    jjontario Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2015
    Options

When you are wearing a strapless dress (braless) and you have no idea that one side has slouched down because of lack of feeling. Happened yesterday ....maybe tomorrow it will be funny....just not yesterday or today

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2015
    Options

Ah JJ, feel for you. Dresses are not designed for BC patients - End of. I suppose that's a good thing really, because it means we are a minority of women, and we certainly would not want that to change. Too damn many of us as it is. XXX

• catfurr
    catfurr Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2015
    Options

Jj--will be here ready and waiting to laugh with you on that one...tomorrow??? Hopefully it wasn't during family holiday photos

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015
    Options

JJ and Catfurr---hope it wasn't as you were standing up being introduced at a awards dinner....LOL... It can always b e worse. I remember pre-bc wearing a low necked dress and a rubber hold you in tight everywhere garment underneath that had push up pads in the bra. I thought I should sew them in, but the directions said no....... I wore it to our huge County party and the slip started "rolling up: and after tugging it down, I decided I needed to go the ladies and adjust. As I made my way out of the ballroom, and old man who clerked for me asked me to dance, and it was a fast number and he was fast on his feet. I politely declined and told him I needed to visit the loo---- I walked in to the Ladies and the door had not even closed and one of those rubber push ups shot right out of the top of my dress......like a bullet. Can you imagine that happening at a party on the dance floor with like 400 people?????

• jjontario
    jjontario Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks Catfurr and Readheaded1...you made me laugh!!! No more strapless dresses. It just totally freaked me that I couldn't even feel that it had slipped!!! Braless is not an option...DH also pointed out that my headlights point in different directions...yay DH got a cookie for that stellar observation.

Oh Redheaded1... The things we do as women ...I can't imagine a man ever putting himself in these kinds of situations!!

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2015
    Options

I really can't spell anymore! Words I've been able to spell since the fifth grade are just impossible. I was always my class spelling bee champ. I was a walking dictionary!

And it's not just the spelling. Just thinking of the word I want in the first place is often a challenge, and then I have to SPELL it too??!! Omg! I'm only 51...I think. Yeah. 51. That's correct.

Thanks, chemo and letrozole! lol.

• chisandy
    edited December 2015
    Options

I’m convinced Spanx were invented by a raging misogynist. Their only upside is perhaps as a makeshift compression garment for truncal lymphedema. I have enough trouble pulling on normal pantyhose without injuring myself--dang scoliosis means they always seem to go on cockeyed; control-tops drive me nuts. I pray I don’t need to go to the can until I get home from whatever formal event for which I’ve stuffed myself into those overpriced sausage casings. So you can imagine how much I love torso-trimmers and slimming-slips....NOT.

Remember how years ago we threw away our girdles, longline bras and garters in celebration of liberation? Never thought we’d come full circle again to willingly torture ourselves for the sake of fashion. (Don’t even get me started on high heels, much less stilettos).

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,527
    edited December 2015
    Options

ChiSandy....I never wear panty hose!!! I didn't even wear them for my daughters wedding!!! If its really cold out, I may wear tights if I want to wear my clogs...otherwise I wear leggings with socks and boots when its bitter cold out....In doors, I'm too hot in tights or hose....I wear skirts and generally I'm bare legged even in the winter. Since I had my bilat, I don't even wear a bra, just a cami or tank top under my clothes!! Its all about comfort!!!

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2015
    Options

Chi, I know your younger then I am, but you said throw away the Girdle. As a 19 y/o in 1969 as a nurses aide, a patient complained about seeing my garters. I was counseled. I went to get a different uniform. Lo and behold, they're was a mannequin with a pantsuit. I bought the pant suit uniform. It was very nice. I had never seen a workmate in pants. I thought 'no one can complain about garters'. Went to work.

I was sent to the 'office'. Unheard of--pants in the work place on women. It was change of shift at 3pm. Two shifts of bosses. They walked around me in a circle. I thought of Indians and covered wagons. Seriously. All these women walking around me. Then they had a meeting. Then they said I could go to work.

It was pretty cool. Changed what was. But obviously never forgot those women walking around me---------deciding if I was okay.

As an RN several years later 1974, changed attire again in the hospital I hired into, in regard to nursing caps. I ditched it. The nursing supervisor asked "how will your patient's know you are a nurse?". I said " I introduce myself as their nurse.". They're was a meeting, but I wasn't required to be there. It was accepted.

Going back before nursing school graduation. The nursing school had nameplates made. We had to sign a form as to the name we wanted. I signed my first name and last name. The instructor said I had to have a title MRS. or Miss. and no first name. I countered with the fact that I had worked with patients for five years and patients were more comfortable when they had a choice of names. AND if marital status was a factor they could look at my ring finger.

No joke, the faculty had a meeting. 1974. Result. I had to make a choice on Mrs. or Miss. Pissed me off. I said MS. I took such chit on the Ms.in my post nursing school life it ended up in the jewelry box..

So, LOL pants, pin, nursing cap......all before 25 th year in 1974. Pretty cool as a past experience..

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2015
    Options

Wow! Interesting stories Sas! Love the covered wagon analogy!

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2015
    Options

Well I just put hair oil all over my face which is particularly dry this morning after several weeks of rain the weather is changing. Argan oil - I guess it can't hurt. Good grief!

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015
    Options

Marijen---that's good---at least you didn't put preparation H on your toothbrush......

• chisandy
    edited December 2015
    Options

Sas, I’m just a year behind you--born in ’51.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2015
    Options

Chi, Us half century mark gals are Mahvelous. LOved the half century mark made it easy to figure out how old I was Heheheh

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2015
    Options

Feline, definitely a good analogy. All the day shift and afternoon shift sups walking in a circle. Must have been a dozen and me in the middle. BTW it was a Catholic hospital. That made pants even more questionable. Five years later. ICU and CCU were in scrubs. That was considered so cool. Only docs wore scrubs. Then ER a few years later. Then everyone. LOL.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2015
    Options

I remember putting Brill cream on my toothbrush once as a kid. Only once. UGHHHh

• chisandy
    edited December 2015
    Options

Three years ago at a regional folk music convention, just before I was supposed to sing in a showcase, I grabbed my trusty bottle of Singer’s Saving Grace and gave a quick five spritzes to the back of my throat. Only it wasn’t Singer’s Saving Grace--it was Voltaren topical NSAID arthritis spray I’d bought a month earlier in Germany. (Same size, shape, color of bottle--even similar label design). AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!! I think I gargled and rinsed for an eternity. Somehow, I was still able to sing.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2015
    Options

ChiSandy thank God you lived!!! Loopy boy oh boy!

• sas-schatzi
    edited March 2016
    Options

Bump

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have to go back and read what I've missed while I was "away". But now can add:

YKYACPW

You can call off your radiation numbers for the techs! 17-7, 21-1, 3.5, 2.5 post, 10-3......