Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Options

Comments

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited August 2017
    Options

Or understand your own writing if you do find it, and then confuse yourself when you manage to work out it says Wednesday 17th Aug........when Wed is the 16th..............<sighs>

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2017
    Options

And you know you put that paper in your purse but it's not there now, and you ransack every cluttered surface in the house and all your other bags, cry and wail in frustration, then finally find the thing....in your purse.

• Freya
    edited August 2017
    Options

Shetland, mischievous elves! They are responsible for a lot of things around here too. They are just trouble makers.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,816
    edited August 2017
    Options

I am sitting here laughing and counting up the number of times I've done the same things!

• Freya
    edited August 2017
    Options

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2017
    Options

Both every day. I amaze myself and I shake my head over losing things, forgetting, etc.

• Freya
    edited August 2017
    Options

When the conversation turns to chemo brain, I'm like, oh no, no effects at all Loopy

<might need to rethink that>

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited August 2017
    Options

chemo what? Never heard of, what🤷♀️

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 892
    edited August 2017
    Options

Something I often say to hubby and kids: "Listen to what I mean, not what I say!"

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984
    edited August 2017
    Options

You know you're a cancer patient ... when you realized you let a friend touch your new boobs and you are at the bar!

She did say they were really nice.

Coach Vicky

• Abracadabra
    edited August 2017
    Options

YKYACPW ...

You go shopping for some new tops, but it's hard to find anything that looks good because your prominent chemo port sticks out like a flesh-coloured doorbell, right below your collar bone.

Even when covered by fabric, the port still juts out, a weird bump on the otherwise flat landscape of your upper chest.

You start wearing elaborate necklaces and you artistically loop bright scarves around your neck, in an effort to distract people's attention. It works! You're pleased, but also ticked off that stupid cancer is making you feel self-conscious about yet another part of your body ...

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited August 2017
    Options

Abra, Shetland, Freya etc - total empathy here!

The only consolation I can offer is that if we were this stupid before BC we would not have noticed the difference Loopy

(OBVIOUSLY we must have been super bright in the past Nerdy)

I find (mid sentence) a sudden failure to recall a word, (usually I keep talking until either I get to it, or the listener works out what I am trying to describe!) Failure to make connections, like one part of my mind can know I have an engagement on Thursday but no connection will be made to it while I make another clashing arrangement for Thursday, aaagggh! Gnatty attention span, consequently now terrible at names, faces etc, where I used to be Mrs Sherlock....

Was reading yesterday about difficulties experienced by people who have MS, and the difficulties that they can experience in this area sounded sooo similar.

It really isn't funny.

• Abracadabra
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks Feelingfeline. I like your logic about being smart enough to see a difference ... I may have lost a few marbles, but at least I started with a full bag!!

Speaking of starts, I started a new job today (after being a stay-home mom for 20 years). I finished chemo 5 months ago, I finished radiation 2 months ago, and I'm just getting used to the hot flashes from Arimidex. Maybe not the best of timing? I'm an assistant teacher, and I swear I was in full chemo-brain mode today (who was that? what was his name again? where is my classroom?) ... and that's just after meeting the teaching staff. The kids haven't even started yet. Help!!

I must admit that despite all of the chaos, it feels great to have something to occupy my mind other than medical appointments, pills and thinking about whether that pain might be a new symptom of something! Onwards and upwards!!

• Freya
    edited August 2017
    Options

feelingfeline, forgetting words drives me crazy. Conversation I have had with my husband, you know that thing you put water in and drink out of, cup?, no the thing that looks like ice, a glass? Yes that's it. We have had this conversation about lots of things, I know what they are used for, but just can't name them.

I had a second scan (this year) of my brain last week, my MO was so concerned about my inability to focus and issues with balance. Turned out to be a viral infection, still having trouble getting over it.

Abracadabra I hope your new job works out well for you.

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017
    Options

Freya totally feel for you. I had a brain scan too. Thankfully brain healthy, however that makes no difference to the cognitive issues. Onc said it could have been the chemo. Brain surgeon said it could be the hormone therapy. In my case it only struck 2.5 years out from chemo....but I do know a gal who only had the chemo and has these issues so that seems pretty conclusive in her case. I really think these issues go under-reported, therefore underestimated and under-researched. On the other hand if docs warned us about these SE's maybe some people would refuse treatment so maybe it is better no to know, after all you might be lucky enough not to get the SE's.

Abracadabra love the bag of marbles! Best wishes with the new job. Notebook and pen for names maybe Loopy XXX

• Abracadabra
    edited August 2017
    Options

Me too on the whole forgetting thingy! Is it age or chemo brain or Arimidex or something else? Who knows.

Whatever it is, it's forcing me to develop a thicker skin and more creative modes of expression. Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped in one of those game shows where the other person has to guess the 'mystery' word. When they get it, I feel like clapping and jumping up and down. I'm afraid I'll start incorporating charade gestures in my everyday life ... you know, like when they tap their ear for "sounds like ..."

Freya and Feelingfeline - thanks for the kind words regarding my new job. It's going well, and I'm enjoying it immensely!

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017
    Options

Nerdy

YKYACPW when .... when.... when....

Loopy

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited August 2017
    Options

I can't blame it on chemo brain, Abra, but this is happening to me all the time. It's so frustrating! Maybe I'll start incorporating charades into my conversations....

MJ

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017
    Options

Tappermom dont forget the hormonal therapy counts towards "chemo brain" too. Loopy "Chemo brain" sounds snappier than "hormonal therapy brain" though!

• Tappermom383
    edited August 2017
    Options

I didn't know that, feelingfeline! Well, if that's the worst of my anastrozole SEs.... It just happened to me at lunch. I wanted the word "trust" but had to substitute "confidence." Then it came to me.

Edited to add: I just read a couple of articles on the topic. No suggestions on how to overcome this SE. I started a new thread in Hormonal Therapy, hoping for some input. I don't see my MO for four months - I'll mention it to him then

MJ

• coachvicky
    edited September 2017
    Options

A friend withTBI shared to eat without doing any other task so my brain could concentrate on nutrition. She also said to use post its to write down why I was going into another room going BEFORE I left a room.

Coach Vicky

• Tappermom383
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'd better buy stock in Post-Its! But your suggestions make sense - more focus, less trying to do several things at once.

MJ

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2017
    Options

ykyacpw.....you are drinking a milkshake for the nutrients.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2017
    Options

Shocked

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2017
    Options

You poor thing. Hope you can get some lovelier nutrients into you soon. Best wishes.

• Freya
    edited September 2017
    Options

YKYACPW you read the side effects of new meds - no problems, I have all of them already.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited September 2017
    Options

try ensure or boost. They do have a few vitamins and such in them.

• coachvicky
    edited September 2017
    Options

I drank Atkins French Vanilla shakes. Not as many carbs and really settled my stomach. I bought it by the case.

Coach Vicky

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited September 2017
    Options

YKYACP when you end most of your long range plan discussions with, "if I'm still around."

• Freya
    edited September 2017
    Options

Leatherette, I am in the same boat. I tried one of these supplement drinks, it tasted like sweetened condensed milk mixed with sawdust. It came straight back up again.