Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• nene2059
    nene2059 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi all!  I just wanted to chime in on the Clomid thing again.  I think it is strange that so many of us on here took it and ended up with BC in our 30's however I did ask about it when I was diagnosed and told that they did not believe that there was a correlation but who knows, right?  My oncologist and I were saying it must have been the big microwaves in the '80's or playing Atari as children...lol.  In other words no one knows why we got it or else they could cure it.  I would like someone to study fertility meds and BC, though.  So many of us on here took Clomid because we were in our 30's and trying to get pregnant and I know my gyno gave it to me like it was nothing so I assume that is a common practice.  I also know several women that took Clomid and have beautiful children now and no BC diagnosis. Who knows?  I am hating the cancer ride at this moment because I have to get an ultrasound tomorrow to rule out a swollen node on my left side.  It is most likely scar tissue but I have scanxiety again.  On a happier note our home passed our adoption inspection today with flying colors.  Next step BABY! No Clomid needed this time, no morning sickness, no stretch marks...I am really starting to like this idea:)

• tea
    tea Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady M -

Tamoxifen has been fine for the most part.  My only side effects have been hot flashes at the beginning (I don't have them very often now - 6 months in), mood swings, a bit of weight gain (2-3 lbs) and some skin issues.  Nothing bad enough to make me stop taking it permanently.

• zlota
    zlota Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi again everyone, I really need to talk to someone, I;m panicking right now, I wasn't even diagnosed yet waiting for my biopsy on the 14th but I don't know what to do with myself anymore,

Cant breath, living in a daze, shaking..... How did you all did this, the waiting...............

Is THIS NORMAL? HELP

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010
    Options

zlota, it's okay, the waiting is definitely the worst part.  We've all been there and it's normal!! 

Try to stay calm.  I know that's really hard right now, but there's actually a lot of waiting, even if you are diagnosed with bc!   

Are you still online with us?

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

zlota, I sent you a PM (private messagae...look at the upper right tab.)

• DanielleSurvivorSince03-09
    DanielleSurvivorSince03-09 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hey girls!  I've been on vacation (Outer Banks) and haven't logged onto a computer in a while.  I need to learn how to post from my blackberry since I can see all your posts there through the email notifications, which are so convenient.  Anyway, welcome to all the newbies (I'm actually still somewhat new to the message boards myself, even though I was diagnosed in 2009). 

Zlota, I'm so sorry to hear you are waiting on biopsy results.  I hope they come back ok, but if they don't, we're all here for you.  The unknown is the worst part of everything.  If you're looking for comfort while you wait and want to learn more about breast cancer and what's all involved in treatment, a good book is called Just Get Me Through This, which I think even has a section for while you're waiting on results.  There are also many insightful breast cancer memoirs out there.  Just type in breast cancer memoirs on Amazon.com and a ton pop up.  I've enjoyed a lot of them.

To all the Clomid takers, gosh, it seems like almost all of us have taken Clomid!  I wish someone would do a study on that!

• nene2059
    edited September 2010
    Options

zlota, so sorry you are having to go through the waiting game.  It is a very hard part of all this.  Take comfort from all of the women on this site.  We have been where you are, heard the worst news, and we are still here.  Take a deep breath and remember that.  Even if the news is cancer, you will make it through.  We did, or are still doing it for those in active treatment, and are here to talk about it.  Take an anxiety med if you have any and try not to give cancer one second more of your time than it deserves.  My best wishes to you and big hopes for b9 results!

• nene2059
    edited September 2010
    Options

It's official.....I am the thread killer.  You all were just chatting away until I got here.  I feel like I do this to all threads..LOL.  Better stick to lurking ;)

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    edited September 2010
    Options

nene- you aare not a thread killer!  It's always quiet on the weekends!  See I posted too- the thread is not dead :)

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2010
    Options

I'm here too - always around Laughing

I'm 5 days out of treatment 3 of TC and starting to feel back to normal again.  Unfortunately, I was up with a crying, congested baby all night last night - boo!  My friend offered to watch her on Thursday for me.  When hubby went to pick her up, he noticed that her two kids had runny noses.  Thanks!!!  So needless to say - I'm going to bed early tonight! 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2010
    Options

nene - how funny...I thought I was the only thread killer on bc.org Laughing

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

I'm a night owl and usually the last one to post-  Just think of it as getting the last word nene!!  Wink

In_cognito, I hope your little one is feeling better.  I can't imagine how you're getting thru chemo like that!!  

Monday already--?!?

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi all,

I haven't checked in here in a while and just did and can't believe how many more of us young chicks are on here.. :(

Lady M- you asked a while ago (not sure if it was this thread) about periods returning....well I got mine this weekend...w00t!! hahaha...as much as it's nice to not have it for a while, I'm happy it's back, makes me feel a little back to normal.

As for the clomid discussion I can't belive how many of you were on clomid, I myself never took it, but my sister did who is also going through chemo right now with stage 3 BC.

Just wondering how many of you had the genetic testing done, I had mine done at the end of July and still no result, I am anxious to get the result since it will make a difference in my reconstruction desicion and whether or not I will remove the other breast.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday

Mo :)

• jpmercy
    jpmercy Member Posts: 94
    edited September 2010
    Options
    hi ladies, im not sure where i belong regarding the boards...here maybe?? i am 30 years old and have a seven month old baby, was having problems breast feeding and decided to stop and get a mamo since the year before i became pregnant they saw some calcifications they wanted to watch told me to come back in six month but i was pregnant so i didnt return until this past august. i  was dx in with DCIS mulit-focil grade 3. had BMX due to strong family history and just got pathology back, it came back with mulitfocil microinvation and 2mm Invasive infiltrating ductal carcinoma. i cant get into see an onc for a few more days but my mind is going crazy i am ER and PR postiive 50% not sure of HER2 as of yet. and 0/5 nodes negative my BS was going to try to send out for an Oncotype test. im just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience. im worried my number is going to come back high bc i just turned 30 and it is a histological grade three and a three on the richardson scale. my path says stage T1a and i know it is veyr small but was just wondering others situations and treatment. thanks so nuch!

Jennifer

• in_cognito
    edited September 2010
    Options

LadyM13 - I had a two meetings with a genetic counselor.  The first was to go over the results of my BRCA test which was "unknown clinical significance."  My second opinion Onc who I went with sent me to a genetic counselor at a major cancer center and they ordered more testing (BART testing, which is helpful when the BRCA test is an unknown variant.)  The counselor also went over my family history in detail, which I may add is only as good as how much you know about it.  I had the first BRCA testing done upon diagnosis and have had a lumpectomy and re-excision.  Going back for a BMX in November due to multifocal spots. For me, the genetic testing is more geared towards ovary removal at this point.  Hope that helps you! 

JPmercy - So sorry that you have to join us, but you will find a very supportive group here.  I am 37 with a 2.5 year old and 6 month old baby - I have 3 rounds of chemo behind me now.  Not fun, but I'm able to go about my business as usual - maybe a little slower, but diapers need to be changed.  The begininning part of this ordeal is the hardest - you will see once you meet with your Onc and get a gameplan you will feel a little better.  Come here and post often - we are all here to offer support!

• tea
    tea Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2010
    Options

Jennifer -

I also had IDC stage T1a within multifocal DCIS.  Since I had a mastectomy with clear nodes and because I was HER 2-  my doctors are just having me take tamoxifen.  I also got a second opinion with an oncologist at another cancer center and they made the same recommendation. 

• nene2059
    edited September 2010
    Options

Whew!  So happy that all of you kept me from turning this thread into a crime scene...lol! 

LadyM I had the BRCA1&2 test if that is the genetic testing you are asking about.  My breast surgeon, who did a lot of the diagnosis and staging testing, kind of made it seem like it was something they did with all of their "too young for BC" patients. I got the results from my Dr.'s office pretty quickly but the "official" results from the test company did not come in the mail for a few weeks.  I was negative for both mutations.  So the mystery of how I got BC in both of my breasts at 36 continues.  You guys may have had more extensive genetic testing but no one offered it to me.  I would like to hear what it was, though, so I can check into it.  Or not, I don't know about anyone else but right now I am over all things cancer related, except BC.org.  I am 1 year and 9 months from diagnosis and kind of going through a phase of feeling adrift.  I am not in active treatment nor am I later staged so I don't need constant monitoring but I still have some concerns and questions and I feel like the dr's are kind of like "she's done....moving on". If she turns up with mets or a recurrence then she can have concerns again. When one of them feels something then I get a test which just causes anxiety and so far have all been fine.  This sucks.  I am rambling..maybe that is why I am the thread killer.

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi- not sure if you guys answered this or not, but i start my chemo on Monday.......how does it affect your periods, generally do you still get it, and is it heavier, or do you tend to miss it and then it comes at odd times? For those of you who lost hair, did most of you get wigs. I havent decided yet, but i went to a wig shop and walked out again, the thought of wearing a wig just didnt agree with me.....

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options

I got a wig and never wore it- I just couldn't, with the hot flashes. Skip it and get a battery powered fan is my advice! You will not be sorry! Generally your period stops and resumes later, but it doesn't always and I'm not sure how much later- for that I'll defer to the more knowledgable....

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2010
    Options

red - I didn't cover my baldness...it was too hot (AZ summer) and made me feel like I was victim when I tried scarfs, hats or wigs.   I had a period the week after my first chemo July 09 and then nothing until Aug 10, not sure if that was a fluke or if it is back for good...

• Poppalicious
    Poppalicious Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello all, just wanted to say "hi and me too" - am 33, married to a wonderful guy, no kids yet (was trying), had a MX and recon in June, just finished chemo (TC x 4) 2 weeks ago and my zoladex rounds as well. No radiation or drugs to do, so now 'just sitting' here bald waiting for my hair to come back :)

redninrah - I'm on zoladex (temporarily shuts down ovaries to 'protect them') but got my period twice while on chemo, both times were normal in terms of flow and timing. My dr said it's hard to tell when periods will come back as it differs for everyone (it's more likely to come back at my age but there's a chance it might not...so fingers crossed!) - she said some get it back 2 months after chemo, while others have to wait longer (and yes, the cycle can be odd when it comes back so it is a 'wait and see' game.)

Re: wigs, before I started losing hair I brought a range of head covering options (e.g. wigs, hats, scarves etc) as I was not sure what I'd be comfortable with and wanted to be prepared.  For me, it turned out to be a good decision to 'stock up' in the end as I was caught off guard by my reaction to being finally bald (am normally secure in my appearance) - did not want to see anybody for a few days as was depressed (would have been super stressed having to go out to buy wig etc during that time), and I then it turned out I preferred wigs in the end instead (when I was not really into them at first and thought I was going to be a 'scarf' girl.)

Anyway, hope the above helps and that the side effects of your chemo are manageable!  

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Redinrah...

As for the periods...I had periods for the first three months and then they stopped, I started having hot flashes and was convinced that I was going into menopause..but...JUST got my period this weekend...which is about 2 1/2 months post Chemo...I think everyone is different though as I know people who are still waiting 12 months after chemo.

As for the wig question...I DID get a wig, I got a really good one..real hair as opposed to synthetic and it looks EXACTLY as my old hair was...color, length..everything, honestly I felt the same as you the first time I went into the wig place, I walked out and couldn't imagine wearing it, but funny enough I wore it ALL the time and still do, it really made me feel more confident sometimes, since it looks so much like the 'real' me.

My hair is starting to come back, I have ALMOST half an inch now, but still thin in spots, so I'm not ready to lose the wig or hats just yet.

Good luck...It's SO hard at times, but try to make this a peaceful journey and you will get through :)

Mo

• aprilh
    aprilh Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello ladies.
    I was just diagnosed on 8/24/10 with IDC at the age of 36. I'm married with a 3 1/2 year old little girl. Trying to stay a full-time student and work through all this mess is tough! Anyone in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area wanna try to connect for support? I just started my chemo (AC) last thursday on 9/9..it's been tough.

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Pop, Hi April.  Welcome to our growing group of fab-tastic 30-ish ladies. 

Re: the period question, I had one after my first chemo and nothing since then (I'm almost three months out from last chemo and don't mind if my periods are done for good!)  

Re: hair/wigs- I bought a wig before I lost my hair so I would have one that looked like my natural hair (it's in my picture.)  Even though it's 110 degrees in Vegas I wore it through most of the summer.  It was important to my kids that I look like myself, so I bucked up and dealt with it.  I ran around bald or in a scarf at home alone or during the day running errands.  Now my hair has grown back a little and I'm experimenting with going out a'la natural.  People look at me with sympathy all the time though, and then they start asking questions.  Then I get the inevitable "But you're soooo YOUNG!" I don't like that!  For me it's really just easier to look "normal" and not have to deal with all that.  If I wear a baseball cap I look like I just have a really short haircut now, so I can at least start doing that and usually not get questioned.  

I've been so tired the last couple days.  I guess everything is catching up with me.  I'm almost done with radiation- only 6 more "boosts" and then I'm done.  It'll be nice when I only have to worry about Herceptin every three weeks.  And probably Tamoxifen, although I haven't even discussed it with my onc yet.  She'll probably just spring it on me at my next appt. since rads will be done.  

My yorkie puppy has an inoperable liver shunt.  I got him for Christmas and found out he was sick just a few weeks later.  He spent most of his first month in the vet hospital and then the night I brought him home is the night I found my breast lump.  So today when he was just lying around listless I just about lost it.  It's just not fair!!  He will only be with me for a short time... the operation that cures liver shunts would kill him because of his anatomy.  He has to be managed by diet only, but that means he'll have a short life span.  He's almost one year old, his birthday is September 30th.  I love him so much!  He's my first puppy!  This year stinks.  I honestly hope this is the worse year of my life.  I'm just a liiiiiittttle depressed today :(

Talk about a thread killer... Sorry, it's been a tough few days...

• silviazara
    silviazara Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi I am happy to find such an active thread of 30 something girls :-)

I was diagnosed at 31, my daughter just turned 2 at the time. This time year ago I was going through newly diagnosed nightmare and I am just so glad to be here feeling healthy today. What I find very difficult is the possibility of not having any more children, it's very hard to admire all new babies, pregnant bellies, and organize and attend showers of my friends. The cancer is always somewhere on the back of my mind.

• Poppalicious
    Poppalicious Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady Madonna - so very sorry to hear about your puppy.  Life is so unfair at times and especially when it throws something else at you on top of an already 'full plate'!  My dog means the world to me too (wow - I got her for xmas too and she shares the same birthday as your one!) and I can only imagine what you are going through.  I hope he's in comfort and is totally spoilt on the 30th.  Here's to 2011 being a much much better year for everyone, we deserve it!

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wow, welcome to all the new ladies - sorry you had to join us! But... we're really cool!Laughing

Red, I had my period the day I started chemo and didn't get it again. I'm guessing it will come back, I'm only 3 weeks out from chemo. I do get CRAZY hot flashes, at least 15-20 a day and they keep me up all night. I hate it!

I did get a few wigs but never wore them. I knew I wouldn't, I just bought them to shut everyone else up that kept telling me "get them so you have them - you never know how you'll feel". I knew it wasn't going to be for me. I'm happy in a scarf or baseball cap (bald at home).

LadyM - So sorry about your puppy! {{{HUGS}}}

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better today and a little embarassed that I sound like a little kid- literally whining about my puppy!  What can I say, emotions are magnified through all this!  Cosmo, my yorkie, is still at the vet's but she can't find any really huge problems with him so that's good. 

I'm down to four radiation boosts and then I'm done with the main part of my treatments!  Hopefully my heart will hold up with these darn Herceptin treatments- that's my biggest concern now.  Has anyone else gotten borderline to being taken off due to heart function?   My onc told me I could take fish oil tablets and now I'm thinking I might try CoQ10.  Guess there's not much else I can do. 

Who would've thought 30 somethings would be dealing with heart issues?!  Let alone cancer!! But yeah, we're definitely cool!!  Wink

Happy Hump Day!!

• in_cognito
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady_Madonna - So sorry to hear about your puppy!  Don't be embarassed - pets are family!!!  I'm sending good thoughts your way and virtual hugs!

• Marion
    Marion Member Posts: 116
    edited September 2010
    Options

I was 33 at diagnosis, had been married 2 years, no kids. As soon as I was diagnosed I thought "thank god I do not have kids!" because I thought I was going to die from this and did not want to have kids growing up without their mom.

My husband and I were never crazy about having kids anyway and now that I have to wait 5 years (Tamoxifen) to try to get pregnant (I'll be 38 by then), we just do not see the point. We are not looking into other options. Our option is to not have any! All the money that would have gone to kids will go into traveling and we feel pretty good about that.

All my family lives in France and my husband's family lives in Australia so we were pretty much by ourselves here in Indiana during the treatment. Coworkers and friends helped and that was nice. My mom flew in for my surgeries. The best thing about all this though was my husband. He was supportive and wonderful. I remember thinking : "I picked him well!"