Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options

redinrah -it should be better soon- i never had ain for more than a couple days. Maybe ask if you can get the shot tailored to your blood counts- when my wbc s were low I never had pain- the higher they were (the less I needed them) the worse the pain.

Sex and the City- I don't think samantha had any surgery! I think she just had chemo, I remember her having hot flashes, then she was all better and everything was just fine! Cured! Maybe I misremember (didn't have such a connection to the subject matter back then) but I think it was a pretty glossed over portrayal.

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010
    Options

yep, bc was a quick cure breeze for Samantha!  No wonder people have cute little pink fantasy ideas about bc!!  Then it was back to glamour, fashion, and fantastic sex!!!  No side effects at all!!!! Hahahahahaha, LMAO!!!!

redinrah, the pain lasted a little longer for me so don't be alarmed if it doesn't go away for a little while.  Unfortunately meds didn't help much either.  Sorry, hope you feel better soon.  

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited September 2010
    Options

Redinrah- Did anyone mention taking Claritin before your Neulasta shot to help w/ the bone pain?  My Onc office told me to take it about an hour before the shot and once a day for a few days.  I had little to no bone pain with Neulasta...not sure if the Claritin was what did the trick, but there must be some validity to it.  I know it seems weird that Claritin would have an effect on bone pain.  I had some bone pain with Taxol, but I don't remember if I took Claritin before Neulasta while on Taxol.

Sherrill

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2010
    Options

I was diagnosed about a year ago and am heading to my first young survivor's conference in St. Louis.  I'm so excited!  I'm hoping to network with other young survivors and really hoping to learn more about getting back in shape, what I can and cannot do concerning weight-lifting.  I'm excited!  Any of you going to be there?  :))

• Marion
    Marion Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hello Dawne-Hope,

I hope you get to meet a lot of survivors your age in St Louis. Going to a conference would have been a good idea for me because I did not meet many people my age.

I went twice to my local Young Survival Coalition and the women were anything but young. I was the youngest and the other women were all in their fifties/sixties. It should have been called "survival coalition" and not "young survival coalition."

Anyone had the same experience ?

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2010
    Options

this is 3rd day for bone pain- its just inbearable. I was told the taxol causes it too.

I took percocet and it didnt even help :(

• 2frogs1princess
    2frogs1princess Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello all,

Not on here much, but thought I'd chime in every once in awhile. :) I was diagnosed at age 30 in 2005. I had a 4.5 yr. old boy and 16 month old boy at the time. They are now 10 and 6.....plus I have a 2 year old daughter. Doing great.

Redninrah, I remember all too well the bone pain....how many taxol treatments have you had? The pain from Taxol was worse than the pain from the Neulasta shots for me. Had to take Vicodin the weekend after treatments and still was in some pain by Monday when I went back to work. 1st treatment made me feel like i had shin splints then each consecutive treatment pain got a little worse ending up in my hips. I hope you can get the pain under control!

Dawne-Hope, when is the conference? This weekend? I'll have to look it up. St. Louis is not far from me. Have fun!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

redninrah, I think I'm already blocking that stuff out of my mind but yep, I had it and it was awful!  I could barely walk up my stairs and it kept me up at night moaning in pain.  I'm so sorry.  Wish I could offer more help, but all I can do is assure you that it's nothing to worry about and tell you that it will subside.  It doesn't seem like the pain meds help since it's coming from inside.  Hang in there.

The young survivors: There are a few ladies in the Vegas area but it's such a small group that it often gets cancelled because of lack of participants.  That's why it's nice to come here to chat.  

Hi 2 frogs 1 princess... I only have the 2 frogs.  Wish I had a little princess!!   :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

• redninrah
    edited September 2010
    Options

thanks ladies, I called my onc and now am back to talking steroids for a nother week to help with the pain. I took a strong dose of percocet yesterday and not even that did anything for the pain.

But i can feel the steroids already kicking in........thank GOD! my pain has gone from 8/10 to about 6/10.

• Estel
    edited September 2010
    Options

2frogs1princess - the conference is at the Sheraton in Clayton, MO.

• zlota
    zlota Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi all, here I'm new. From small lump to mammo to biopsy to DCIS. Then the day of my lumpectomy  they took another mammo and found another site of microcalcfications in the same breast but diffrent area, they said closer to chest wall. Well surgery got cancelled end up with another biopsy and this one showed IDC. God I was hoping this one will turn to be DCIS too. But I guess you don't really know what you have til final pathology after surgery. So I met with bs and ps and having my left breast mx on thursday. So scared of results both cosmetic and pathology. Looks like I have so many spots of this stuff in my breast. Anyone there in similar situation, with multiple spots?

I was told by bs since there is some invasive cancer I will need chemo. Can't stop crying. Went from a healthy 30 yr old to a cancer patient. Scared before surgery, chemo sounds like worst nightmare. How do you cope with all this? And this waiting for final pathology will kill me.

Trying to stay strong for my little ones but its so hard to pretend strong and happy in front of your kids when you are broken inside. Please tell what to expect from surgery and how to live with this diagnosis? 

• redninrah
    edited September 2010
    Options

Ziota, ive been through all that you have. You can only think of one thing now, and thats get better, quick do what it takes, you have your whole life ahead of you and your kids to think also. You have have to be strong. Its tough, but its do able. ive had my breast removed. Its a shock, but you take it., its short term. i just started chemo. Its challenging, but im just thinking one thing.......im on the road to recovery. Next yr, it will be behind me. Just think, you have got diagnosed early and it wont  beat you!!!!

chin up, and be strong. do lots of reading around the topic, it is reassuring to read some facts, and this site is awesome, i learned a lot. tak care

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited September 2010
    Options

Zlota- I'm sorry you have to join us, but this site really is a great place to come for support.  The beginning really is the most difficult.  You are shocked and can't believe this is happening to you.  But once you have a treatment plan in place, it gets easier, I promise. 

There are existing threads on every BC topic under the sun on these discussion boards, so find what applies to you and get whatever information/cybersupport you can.  When you find out exactly what type of chemo you'll need, you can find others who have already been through it. 

Any major health crisis is more challenging when you have young children to care for.  Mine were 5 & 7 when I was diagnosed.  Do you have family and/or friends who could help with the kids during treatments?

You may feel like you're falling apart now, but I think in time you'll see that you're stronger than you give yourself credit for.

Best of luck to you!

Sherrill

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2010
    Options

zlota,

Wish I could give you a hug!!!  We ALL felt exactly as you do in the beginning days.  I cried everyday for a month straight - until I had my surgery - at odd hours throughout the day.  When I was diagnosed, my oldest daughter was 2 years old and younger daughter was 8 weeks old.  My younger is now almost 7 months and I don't cry everyday anymore, nor feel that pit in my stomach.  I feel hopeful about things again.  Such a different feeling from the first days - it's amazing what 5 months will do. 

I have my last round of chemo tomorrow.  I am doing 4 rounds of TC - and I can honestly tell you it's been fine.  I think someone above spared me all the bad side effects because I have to raise our little babies with hardly any outside help.  I lost my hair - that was the biggest side effect - and my other annoying ones were constipation and flu-like symptoms a few days each treatment. 

The first month was the hardest.  You will have more tests, likely an MRI and chest xray to get you ready for surgery.  The MRI will show any other areas, it tends to see better than a mammo.  Waiting for results was scary for me, so do not be afraid to ask your doctor for something to relax you to help you sleep at night. 

The two surgeries I have had so far were a lupectomy and re-excision because they could not get all of the cancer out.  I am having a bilater mastectomy in November now.  With my first two surgeries, I woke up and thought "That was not bad at all."  I was very nervous because I never had surgery in my life.  You will also read on this site that you will feel better once you have a treatment plan in place.  It is very true - once you have the treatment plan, it will feel like you are actively fighting this.  The anticipation of everything we go through is far worse than the reality.  At least for me it has been.

Good luck and please keep us updated.  Come here for support - we are a good group of ladies to share things with!

• zlota
    zlota Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi, I have family, they are very supportive but I'm sooooo depressed right now

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2010
    Options

HELLO GIRLS!  Just ran across this thread thought I would join! I was diagnosed sept 22nd at age 34. I have an amazing 5yr old little man named Zach and the fabulous Makena who just turned 5yrs old.  I am all finished with chemo and rads no additional meds for me because I am triple negative.  I had a hard time during chemo so I totally understand for those of you going through it now.  We had to stay with my parents while I was in chemo because my Husband is a police officer and he works crazy shifts and allllll the time and I needed help with the kids. It turned out to be a blessing because my Dad passed away in July and I treasure the extra time I got to spend with him. It was almost like he waited on me to get better before he left us. 

I was breastfeeding my youngest and continually had mastitis in the same breast and area that I had the IDC tumor and I believe that duct didn't work properly because the tumor was inside it at the time.  I can remember throwing bottles of milk I had pumped away because of blood in them. My OBGYN dropped the ball never ordered a mammogram or ultrasound.  I guess that's why my tumor got to be 5cm.  I am also BRCA1 Positive and have a crazy amt of breast and ovarian cancer in my family history. 

So glad I found all of you!!!

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi all - new to the 30's something site!! I am 37 and was diagnosed in April. Just finished my last Taxol this past Monday!! Still have bone pain/neurapathy in my face!!

I knew that I was BRCA1+ for 5 yrs. before they found the lump. I was going every 6m for mammos and 6m for MRI's - glad I did this because the MRI is what found it!! Couldn't feel it, see it in a mammo or ultrasound - Scary. My mom and her twin had breast and ovarian cancer. I will be having an ooph next summer. Had a BMX with TE's placed and can't wait for my exchange.

I have a 21 yr. old step-son and a 15 yr. old daughter. Can't believe how many of you have young ones and get through all of this! Prayers go up to you all.

Sorry to see there are so many of us. I will now add this thread to my favorites and hopefully keep up to date with everyone. It is really nice meeting new people and being able to talk with those who are going through the same thing. ((HUGS))

Kelli

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Zlota, Can't tell you how many times I've lamented going from a healthy young woman to a sickly cancer patient!  But the truth is that even though we didn't feel sick yet the cancer was growing inside and needed to be found and treated.  The surgery is the single most important treatment, as it hopefully removes all the cancer and possibly cures you.  All the other treatments after that are insurance.  It's very traumatic though, and I understand the fear and depression.  Then we have to be strong for the kids and it's so much pressure. 

Try to take one day at a time and remember that this is the worst of it.  You will feel better when  you have some solid answers and develop a treatment plan.  The waiting is the hardest for all of us.  The ladies here are your sisters, we will be here with you every step of the way.  I didn't have a bmx, but many others did and they will offer lots of info.  Good luck, and stay in touch!

Tiffany,  Welcome to our group.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  It's amazing how many people have  not only breast cancer, but the loss of a loved one, new babies, husbands with crazy work schedules, and so many other challenges at the same time.  It reminds me how incredibly strong women really are.  I'm not sure men could handle a diagnosis like this and juggle all the things we do.  Are you having an ooph?  I'm glad you found us too!  

Kelli, Congrats on finishing!!! I have numbness in my finger & toes 3 months after taxotere, I'm not sure it'll ever go away.  Didn't know you could get it in your face, how awful!  Why did you have the BRCA testing?  Did you have a positive family member?  Wow, and how weird-I've heard so, so many people say their lumps weren't seen in mammo's or u/s.  Wonder what the point of doing them is if they don't find anything??  

Quick question to everyone, are you still using your regular deodorand/antiperspirant?  I'm done with rads now so I can go back to whatever I want but because of the possible link with aluminum and bc, I'm thinking of sticking with an aluminum free version if I can find good products.  Has anyone found anything that works well?  I used Degree natureffects honeysuckle + tea tree oil deodorant solid and it smells nice and works pretty well.  Anyone have any other success?  

Any other changes you've made in cosmetics/food/toiletries to decrease your risk of recurrence?

I'm trying to be more aware of labels and avoid parabens.

• janicemarie3
    janicemarie3 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010
    Options

I was diagnosed on December 29th 2009.  I am 32 years old.  I Had a CT scan before my surgery on January 7th  the surgeon said a spot showed up on my rib.  So she sent me for a PET scan the day before surgery.  I showed up at the hospital all ready for my surgery only to have the surgeon say I have some bad news.  I can't do the surgery because the cancer has spread to your bones.  I was sent for chemotherapy that day instead of surgery.  In 2 weeks I went from having cancer and needing a mastectomy to Stage IV with mets to my bones.  I think that I was in shock for a couple months, wondering how this could be possible.  I have three children a 9,6,and 3 year old.  I am engaged to a wonderful man who has helped me out through all of this.  We have had are days where we spent most of them crying in the begining.  But now we are just rolling with the punches, and not sweating what I can not control.  I am truly blessed to have the wonderul family that I have.  My two daughters that are 9 and 6 have been taking it really well.  Their father is remarried and I am lucky that we all get along so well.I finished my Chemo on April 23rd I was on Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin and Zometa.  I am now on Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks the doc says indefiently.  I find it very comforting to know that there is a place like this to express all of your fears and feelings.  At home I tend to act like everything is fine and I am not worried about anything.

• Estel
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady_Madonna - I quit using my anti-persperant upon dx.  I found some deodorant at an organic health food store.  It's Tom's of Maine original care.  On really hot days I sweat and it doesn't work as well as conventional, but I'm alright with that.  Most days, it works pretty well.

I quit using any lotions that have parabens in them.  I'm still looking for a shampoo that doesn't have a bunch of additives and is all natural.  It's hard.

• Estel
    edited September 2010
    Options

janicemarie3 - you come here as often as you lead to lament and say whatever you need to get out.  What courage, what strength.  My diagnosis has shown me how precious life really is.  Tomorrow is not promised to any of us.  We have only today.  Press on, dear sweet sister. 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Options

Janicemarie3, wish you the best luck in fighting this devil and enjoy the life with your children. Big hugs. Meg

• in_cognito
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Lady_madonna - I switched over to Tom's of Maine deoderant.  It works pretty good, but I do have to re-apply during the day it seems like - on hot days at least.  As for other changes to reduce risk of recurrance, I juice a ton of vegetables, and also have upped my vegetable intake for fiber.  I no longer microwave plastic containers and we bought glass storage containers to swap out all the plastic stuff with.  I try to buy organic when we can.  We have an organic box of fruit and veggies delivered bi-weekly to our door from a local farm.  I'm also limiting the amount of dairy that I have after reading all about the natural hormones just in organic milk!  I have a few squares of dark chocolate as I've read about the anti-oxidant effects of dark chocolate so I feel like I am living a little Laughing  I focus on having my veggie intake to be centered around cruciferous veggies and drink green tea more regularly.  I'm also researching supplements to take going forward.  And exercise - can't forget that!  I do plan on swapping out my cosmetics someday when I can afford it.  I heard Aubrey Organics and Physician's formula have an organic make-up line, as does Naturopathica.  I have not looked into them yet so I cannot attest to that - but just wanted to throw it out there in case you wanted to research the brands.  I believe there is a website called cosmetic data base that will give you scores of brands regarding how many harmful chemicals they have.  So much to think about!
  • in_cognito
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Janice - I wish I could give you a huge hug in person, but a virtual hug will have to do.  Please come here and post anytime - we are all here to share feelings and cry on each other's shoulder when need be.  You are never alone with BCO.org! 
  • Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    Options

I haven't used regular deoderant/antiperspirent in years.  I make my own or use Nature's Gate.  I use either Burt's Bees to wash my hair, or just use baking soda to "wash" and apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. I sometimes use honey to wash my face and baking soda as a scrub.  I haven't used toothpaste in two years either (I feel a little weird admitting this, kinda sounds gross!).  My hygenist told me 90% of the problems she sees in people's mouth are from the chemicals in toothpaste and that you need nothing more than baking soda.  Since then, no cavities, no gum problems...well, tender gums off and on during chemo, but not one mouth sore.  I did all this a few years ago, both because I was trying to avoid chemicals as much as possible (and still got bc!), and because we were dirt poor and I couldn't spend money on things like shampoo and toothpaste.  And now, well, old habits die hard I guess!  It's hard to switch all the cosmetics over because they are so expensive but I definitely avoid the parabens when I can.  And I haven't found a really good mascara that's cheapish and not loaded with nasties, so if anyone has a recommendation I'm all ears.

The forums at mothering.com have some great homemade recipes for body care items and cleaning supplies.  I haven't been there in awhile but I think it was under the Natural Family Living section.  I bet the alternative forum ladies would have a lot of great ideas too.

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    Options

Janicemarie - what a blow, to say the least.  You sound like one tough mama, but I'm so glad you have family to support you through this. Keep on keepin' on sister!

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2010
    Options

I haven't switched any products or changed anything not even my diet.  I'm not sure why I guess I already feel like having cancer has changed so much I don't want anymore changes. Does that make any sense?  Maybe it's time I make some changes!!! 

Janicemarie3- sounds like you are a strong lady, but it's ok to come on here and rant, cry whatever ya need to do!! There are several ladies on the Stage IV boards that you might already know but they are going strong with bone mets and are having a good quality of life.  We are here for you!

• redninrah
    edited September 2010
    Options

help- it hurts to pee! ouch ouch

• leelee32
    leelee32 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi, Haven't been on in a while - had my bi-lateral mastectomy on the 15th.  I am feeling better now that the drains are removed and I had the first expansion which kind of feels like someone is sitting on my chest. I guess it's better than when I felt like I got hit by a truck. I was curious about silicone vs. saline implants. If anyone has some advise or an opinion, would love to hear it. 

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Redninrah- drink lots of water and call the doctor asap! You don't need any infections taking hold!