Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Marion,

Sometimes, when my boys are driving me nuts, I fantasize about all the things I could do with all the money I spend on kids...!  And when they went to stay with the grandparents it was comical, my hubby and I trying to figure out what the heck to do- it was so quiet!!!

It's great that you have a wonderful support system.  Wow, you guys are global!  How did you end up in Indiana?  Are you on Tamox?  Any other treatments?  

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies!

I was 39 when diagnosed, I'm recently 40 so I hope I can still join!  :)  Don't have much to add, just wanted to say hello.  I felt so alone when first diagnosed ... didn't know young women got bc ... wow has this last year been an education. 

I don't have family or kids, was busy in my career, moved back to the midwest from the east coast to take care of my mom who was dying from bc and wham!  Was diagnosed myself.  It's been a really tough year but I praying that I'm on the downhill slope now.

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited September 2010
    Options

Welcome, Dawn-Hope!  I'm almost 40, too, in a few weeks.  Was dx at 38 and was also surprised at all the young women w/ bc.  I'm finished w/ my chemo and Herceptin and am taking tamox. but I come back here to try to help the newly diagnosed.  I feel like the women on bc.org were so helpful to me in the beginning, the least I could do is pay it forward.

Hello to my fellow 30somethings (and 40somethings)!  I'm getting my port removed next friday (yay)!  I can't waitSmile

Is anyone out there doing the AVON walk in NYC this year?

Sherrill

• stewy4421
    stewy4421 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi!  I am 32 years old and just diagnosed in July of 2010.  I felt like I was the only one in their thirties going through this.  It's been hard to find people to talk to because everyone around me going through this is older.  I hate to see so many of us here, but I am happy to see that others share a similar story like mine.  I just had a bilateral mastectomy in August and start chemo on 9/21, which is just days away.  I think I am much more scared of that then I was of surgery.  Continue to be strong and we will all beat this!!  Thanks for sharing your stories.  Makes me feel less alone out there in this big battle.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2010
    Options

stewy4421 - you're not alone, and there is great comfort in knowing that others have gone before you and beat it.  I'm sorry, though!  Praying for you as begin a new phase in your treatment.  Often it is the unknown that scares us the most, once you get the first one under your belt it will quell some of the fear.  What is your cocktail and how many treatment are you going to need?

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Dawne-Hope!  Thanks for joining us.  So sorry about you mom, what a tough thing to go through.  

Sherrill, I'm so jealous that you're getting deported!  I cannot wait for that day to arrive for me!!

Hello Stewy 4421!  Isn't it frightening how many young women you meet here?  Thank goodness we can support each other here, but where is this bc coming from?  Don't worry, like Dawne-Hope said,, it's the fear of the chemo that's usually worse than the chemo itself.  We'll be here to help you through it.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend! 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello everyone, I have been reading your stories for a while. I am 38. just diagnosed with Mucinous and DSIC carcinoma in right breast last Month and had lumpectomy and SNB on right breast on Sep 13.

Before disagnosis, I noticed bloody discharge from right nipple after I started to take birth control pill in April this year to adjust heavy and prolonged period. My Gyn did not ask me if I had lump in my breast (I had that lump in right breast since I was in high school and did biopsy on that lump eight years ago and told it is b9). So I think I may be ER and/or PR + and birth control might ignite the cancer. Wondering how many of you have thought to remove uterus or ovaries if choose hormone tharapy. If do, should that be done after chemo or before? I am thinking to have both removed but cannot decide right now. Would be glad to know your opinion and thought. Stay strong dear all. 

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Meglove!

My Onc is going to refer me to a Gyn/Onc about the ovary situation.  My Onc was quick to say I should get a ooph - at the time it did make sense to me, but after thinking about it in more detail and researching all the side effects to an ooph I really want to look into it more.  I prefer to start out with Lupron shots and see how I do.  I am also awaiting more results of genetic testing.  My BRCA came back with an unknown variant, so not entirely negative at this point.  They decided to do the BART test which is more extensive, so if that comes back positive, then I will for sure get my ovaries out.  If it is negative, it gives me more time to research.  My Onc did tell me that I would derive the most benefit if I removed my ovaries by a certain age - I cannot remember if he said 40 or 42.

• silviazara
    silviazara Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010
    Options

Meglove & Incognito

why do your oncologists advise you to have an oophorectomy?  Because you are ER+PR+ or because of BRCA testing? I also had Oncotype 14 (didn't have chemo), IDC, ER+PR+, HER-, BRCA neg and I had several Onco opinions and none of them recommended to have my ovaries removed. On the contrary, they are giving me hope of having more kids. So I am just interested why are they so quick with ooph. with you.

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2010
    Options

Silvia - Actually, I am curious to find out more about us ER+ ladies in their 30's and if their Onc recommended ovary removal as well (I was 95% ER).  My Onc basically recommended it as a way to be "highly aggressive" in my treatment.  But he also said that I did not have to be aggressive just for aggressiveness sake - he said I fall into a gray area with hereditary testing and ovarian cancer.  If my BART test comes back positive, then I will be removing them from a BRCA positive standpoint.  (The BART test is more genetic testing to basically prove or disprove a BRCA result of "unknown clinical significance).  But if that test comes back negative, there still leaves the question of getting an ooph since I was highly ER+.

Since I was diagnosed right after delivering a baby I asked if hypothetically my pregnancy hormones fueled my tumor.  He said it was pretty much given.  Since I will not be having anymore kids as my family is complete, I really feel that removing my ovaries is overkill at this point - I truly believe my pregnancy hormones fueled my BC and since I do not plan on getting pregnant, in theory, I should not have that kind of surge of estrogen in my body, right?  That is my viewpoint, but my Onc wants me to see a Gyn Onc just to get another opinion on that.  Initially, when I was first diagnosed with BC, I sought out three opinions from Oncologists on treatment.  They all mentioned an ooph - not suggesting it specifically for my treatment as something I HAD to do, but something that some people choose to do if they are done having kids.  Looking back, I am actually surprised that all three opinions even mentioned an ooph. 

He did say we can do Lupron with Tamoxifen.  I'm curious to find out what other ER+ gals are doing - just Tamoxifen?????

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    Options

Haven't checked this thread in awhile...my, there sure are a lot of us!  But what a great group of ladies to have around to talk to!  Welcome to all the newly diagnosed.  So sorry you have to be here but you'll find so much support here.

In regards to the ER+ discussion...I am 95% ER+ too, but BRCA -.  The only time an ooph was given as an option for me was as an alternative to taking Tamoxifen.  Otherwise, the Tamoxifen would have been fine.  I was on it for 9 days before my onc told me to stop from the bad se's I was having and since then I've decided it's not for me.  Not an easy decision by any means.  That's when my onc recommended the ooph but I'm not comfortable with that at 33.  My surgeon suggested against it and my obgyn said she's hate to see me miserable with the se's from it, which would be worse since she can't treat me with estrogen.  For me, the risks are not worth the benefits.  If I were BRCA+, obviously I would consider it more.

So I just work with my naturopath and take lots of supplements that act as natural AI's and that help my body metabolize estrogen correctly (we tested and it wasn't metabolizing it correctly before...hmmm), avoid estrogenic foods and alcohol, and walk everyday to try to keep body fat down. That's my plan and whatever happens happens!  I'd like to hear from other ER+ girls too.  It's always nice to hear different takes on the situation!

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options

In cognito- about the ooph- it seems to me, both from the women I meet in person (maybe you've been one- hi local!) and what I see online that the oophs are being recommended with very little discretion to younger women with hormone+ cancers (usually the case in young folks). I feel like it's just the current trend in treatment, and they want to do it for everyone, and 10, 20 years from now when data starts to pile up about the long term effects, they'll be appalled and move on to the next thing, and too bad for us.

There is no question that the drastic reduction of estrogen can reduce recurrence rates, but the other potentially life-shortening side effects (heart disease mainly, and bone loss) are serious enough for this to be kind of crazy short term thinking, IMO. To say nothing of (speaking as someone who had one for brca related reasons) the absolutely devastating permanent quality of life side effects. I can hardly believe I'm 36 and going to spend the entire rest of my life like this- I can't imagine being one of the people out there who do this for an in situ, or very small, tumor (or cancers which are barely er+). It seems an insanely short sighted recommendation. Sorry to be redundant, but I feel strongly about this. Especially when you can get the same effect in the short term with the lupron shots.  I would get many opinions before taking that route! (the ooph)

But I'm happy to answer questions about it for those who may need to do it. Despite my problems and worries about the future, it's not the end of the world. I just feel a lot of people are having it recommended and being told, basically, that it isn't a big deal, you're not using them anyway, what the heck! But while it's true that it is a minor surgery, it's a huge deal. And people should know this.

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Options

Just wanted to jump in and say hi to all our new friends...Welcome!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Jessamine, thank you for being so candid.  That's one of the things I love about this site, the truly selfless caring information given by our sisters.  You're using your own problems to educate those trying to make decisions for themselves. I'm so sorry that you've had such a decrease in your quality of life.  It's devastating how much this disease takes away from formerly happy, healthy women.  

You're absolutely correct!  The ooph is being offered up so quickly and when you do further research you begin to see that it has devastating side effects, including increased death for all reasons!!  I was just amazed when I started looking into this.  I figured what the heck, I've had my babies so let's just take my ovaries so I don't have to worry about ovarian cancer and the increased estrogen.  Then I found out that you can still get ovarian cancer, your body still makes estrogen, and you increase your chances of dying of any cause by removing your ovaries!  Wow!  The increased mortality is especially pronounced if your ovaries are removed before age 45.  Obviously if you're BRCA+ it's a different consideration than if you're BRCA- .

Ladies, I would just recommed researching extensively before making any decision.  Do not take this lightly!  You can always go off medications, but you cannot get your ovaries back!  It's a mistake to let fear (and I know we're all particularly susceptible after just going through breast cancer!) of something that might happen lead us into taking out perfectly good organs that serve a vital function.  

I'm still hoping we'll have a cure for breast cancer in 5-10 years!!  Oh, by the way... oh a lighter note - I have my last radiation treatment tomorrow!!!  :) 

• tougherthanithought
    edited September 2010
    Options

I hate to see this group growing day by dayYell   To all the newly diagnosed:  I'm so sorry you have to join us...this disease sucks...but you will feel better once a treatment plan is in place.

Melanie (aka Lady_Madonna)- Congrats on your last radiation treatment!  That's a huge milestone!  I didn't do radiation, but I know it's very time consuming. 

I didn't really research ooph but I did ask my Onc if it were an option (I don't like the 10-15lb weight gain w/ the Tamox) but he said he didn't recommend it for me.  If there were little to no negative consequences to ovary removal, I'd consider it in order to not have to take Tamox.  but that obviously isn't the case.

It's Back to School Night at my kids' school and I'm very excited to meet the teachers!

Hugs to allSmile

Sherrill

• Kate0574
    Kate0574 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2010
    Options

ok, I am going to sound nieve... what the heck is a OOPH??

• TreadSoftly
    TreadSoftly Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi ladies,

Im 30 y.o, Irish,and was diagnosed Sept 2009 at the age of 29.  I had a 3cm mixed mucinous-IDC tumour, with negative lymph nodes.  I had 4 cycles of TC (last one New Years Eve!), lumpectomy, and 33 sessions of Rads.  Im currently on Tamoxifen only.  My Onc occasionally mentions ovarian suppression in the form of Lupron injections, but Im holding off on this at present. 

My period came back almost 3 months to the day after my last chemo.  While its quite infrequent (i.e every 8 weeks due to the tamoxifen!) Im still glad to know Im still in 'working-order'!  I have no children (Yet!!) but definitely want a family in the coming years...  My fiancee is absolutely wonderful, and has been so supportive throughout this journey. 

Im having my first year cancer-versary next week and my first mammogram and ultrasound post treatment - wish me luck!!

Lady-Madonna - congrats on finishing rads!! do something really nice to celebrate!

• silviazara
    silviazara Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thank you for all your answers and thoughts on oophorectomy. I agree very much with what was said here. Ooph is not just a minor surgery - it is a major change for your body. It seems like treating cancer is all about chopping off, cutting off.... what is left of the body and patient's life seems not to be really taken into consideration.

My ER+ is 95%. I am taking Tamox only, no Lupron. Ooph would be an option if BRCA was positive. Still, I don't think I would go for it. 

• jessamine
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kate- ooph=oopherectomy=surgical removal of ovaries (and fallopian tubes, usually).
  • Marion
    Marion Member Posts: 116
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello treadsoflty,

lucky you, you've got your periods back! I've only had two since my last chemo (end of Nov. 09). I am on Tamoxifen so I was expecting infrequent periods, but I thought I would have had more than 2 by now ... I am starting to worry!

How about everyone on this thread? Did you get your periods back ? If so how frequent are they?

On another note, I agree with a lot of the comments made regarding the ooph, it is way too drastic.

• tougherthanithought
    edited September 2010
    Options

I'll chime in about periods...mine disappeared when I started chemo (July 09) and hasn't made an appearance since, and that's just fine by me.  Recently, though, I felt some very light cramps, but no period.  My Onc said it will likely come back after I'm finished w/ Tamox. 

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2010
    Options

I finished chemo on June 30th, and 2 1/2 months later it came back just like a normal period.

• DanielleSurvivorSince03-09
    DanielleSurvivorSince03-09 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hey girls!  I've been a little quiet lately on the message boards but just wanted to let you know I've been following all the messages and love seeing such an active post!  I get the notifications on my blackberry through email and read them all but then I get lazy about signing in online, sorry.  Anyway, my periods have been on a roller coaster for years.  I was on the pill for 12 years starting in high school.  When I went off the pill, I didn't have a period for over a year.  That's when I started on fertility drugs.  I took Prometrium to start my periods and Clomid to ovulate.  I've already given my opinion on fertility drugs so I won't go there.  Before I was diagnosed, my periods had returned and were normal again but then when I started chemo, they disppeared again.  They returned a couple months into (or after I can't remember) radiation.  They were regular while taking Tamoxifen for the first 6 months or so and now they are just random.  I skipped a period one month and thought it went away again but then came back.  Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I've come to the conclusion that so many things can swing your periods one way or the other. 

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2010
    Options

what is the best home remedy for mouth wash, my mouth a little dry. whats the exact ingredients and measurements, anyone?

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady Madonna - hip hip hooray for your last rads today!!!  Feels so good to say you're done, doesn't it?

As far as periods, mine stopped after 2 or 3 chemos, I think, and I only missed two.  They came back like clockwork but are so light you can hardly call it a period.  They're shorter, lighter, I get no cramps, no breast tenderness, no PMS, and no pre-period headache.  Soooo different from before BC!

redninrah - I don't know of any home remedy for dry mouth, but I did make sure I swished with salt water whenever my gums were getting tender and it did wonders.  I never got any mouth sores.  When I was in the hospital and had tender gums, they gave me the "magic mouthwash".  Ugh, that crap is awful!  I started hoarding the salt packets that came with my meals and I'd swish with that instead and my gums were better in no time.  I don't use an exact measurement, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tablespoon of salt in 6-8oz water?  I wonder if aloe vera juice would be good for dry mouth and it seems it would soothe any sores too.  Just a thought.

• jessamine
    edited September 2010
    Options
    redninrah- you're doing chemo? if so, 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, more or less. the baking soda akalinizes, or something. it works to prevent sores.
  • deenah
    deenah Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi ladies,

Sorry to have been MIA for a while.  I just had my bilateral mastectomy with 1 step reconstructions and implants.  I am finally able to lift my laptop enough to type on it!  The surgery went well, and they got really good margins around the tumor in my breast.  Orginally (before chemo) it was 7 cm, when they removed the breast, it was 3.2 cm.  Still pretty big huh?  Luckily my left breast and 2 nodes removed on that side were clear as a bell.  The bad news was that they removed 51 nodes under my right arm, and 18 were positive for cancer.  They also found sand granual sized cancer in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.  He got all of that, but since there was extranodal involvement, he is very sure there is still cancer under my arm that they just couldn't see.  He is also pretty sure there is still cancer in my mammory nodes and my nodes in my neck.  Radiation is next, but after that we still have yet to decide what to do next.  I am scared.  My oncologist is having my tumor retested to make certain that I am fully HER2+.  If I am, then she wants to add Lapatinib to my Herceptin treatments after I finish rads.  I would continue both of those drugs for 2 years instead of 1.  I've read a tiny bit about Lapatinib online, and it scares me.  I had such a horrible time with nausea during chemo, I am terrified that I will have those side effects with Lapatinib too.  And for a year and a half!  I am not ready to give up, but my future is much more uncertain now.  I was hoping to  be restaged after surgery, but I am still stuck at stage IIIc.  Crap!!  

I am trying to get my info in front of a tumor board at either UCSF or Stanford.  I am working on that today.  I just want as many opinions as possible.  

Anyway, no time to catch up on posts.  I hope everyone is doing well, and welcome to all of the newcomers.  It really sucks that so many of us are so young and dealing with cancer.

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi deenah, welcome back.  Wow, you poor thing.  That's very scary.  It sounds like a great idea to get your case reviewed, as it is clearly quite complex.  Now the good news is that if you are fully Her2+ there are so many targeted therapies.  The home page of bco has an article about it from asco; you might want to check that out. 

Don't worry about trying to catch up with us.  Just concentrate on healing from your bmx and remember that we're here for you whenever you can check in.  Let us know how you're doing!  

I'm so sorry you're looking at another year and a half of treatments.  I try to think of the extra time we have to do as an opportunity to be monitored and get therapies that will kick our cancer's a$$!!  But it sucks that you're still stage IIIc.  You must feel very scared and overwhelmed. (((Hugs))) to you!!!

Ladies, my onc is so sweet, everytime I see her she tells me to get some "retail therapy."  Sometimes I think we should just spend one day talking about shopping, clothes, makeup, hiking, our pets, traveling, husbands/boyfriends/both (hehe! kidding...!) our families... anything but breast cancer!! Wouldn't it be nice if we were just 30-something girls chatting about our carefree lives?!  Remember in "Sex & the City"when Samantha had breast cancer?  Whatever happened to that?! 

• redninrah
    edited September 2010
    Options

ya good question about sex and the city, what did happen to Samantha. I know she had chemo and she lost her hair, but they didnt go into detail about any surgeries did they?

• redninrah
    edited September 2010
    Options

my bones kill from the neulasta shot- how long does this last for anyone pls?

ive had it for 2 days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh