Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lady Madonna - I had my last period immediately after my first chemo in July 2009. My last chemo was Sept 30 2009 and my first period was Aug 18, 2010 Yell  The one SE I wanted and it went away Cry  The period lasted 12 DAYS!
  • tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2010
    Options

Melanie, my period stopped right when I started chemo (July 09), finished chemo Oct 09, but still no period!  LOVE it. I do take Tamoxifen (for another 4 plus years), so I may be period-free for a while more.  My Onc said I would probably get it back when I'm finished w\ Tamox, but who knows?

Oh, and the libido thing...I totally agree.  I feel so bad for my husband.  He's been great, though...no pressure.

Oh, Deanna, I had so many people tell me that EMEND would take away the nausea, too, and I really was optimistic, but no luck.  I heard over and over that "There are so many anti-nausea meds out there today, that you shouldn't be sick on chemo".  Yeah, well, we both saw how that panned out for usSmile

Sherrill

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited August 2010
    Options

Count me in, I'm another: diagnosed at 39, IDC grade 3 stage 1.  There are a lot of us in the July chemo.  It makes me sad, I know this disease is growing in frequency in our age group.

No kids, dreamy husband, great life.

• LuvMyLab
    LuvMyLab Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2010
    Options

I'm IN.  Dx July, I'm 37.  No kids yet (had miscarriage earlier this year) so looking at Zoladex during chemo in an attempt to protect the ovaries.  How many of us are Her2+.  I notice a few on this thread.  This is a time when we should be enjoying our lives, they say women in their 30's really gain a sense of who they are, know what they want etc etc.  Mind you, no age is a good age to be dx with cancer, it all SUCKS big time.  Let's hope for everyone that we kick it's asssss into oblivion and get back to what we love to do. 

• deenah
    deenah Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Luvmylab.  Sorry to see you  have to join this club that nobody wants to join.  I'm also HER2+ and noticed alot of women on this thread who are.  Maybe that is because the more aggressive cancers tend to hit younger women?  I'm sorry about your miscarriage.  I have had 3, so I know how it feels.  I do have 2 children, but the miscarriages were difficult. 

THanks for the responses about the sex life question.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I have another question.  I think it's natural for all of us to wonder...."what caused my cancer?".  A few years ago, my husband was changing companies (he's now a partner in a smaller company), and we were looking into private medical insurance.  We could not get coverage for me because I had taken Clomid to get pregnant.  They said you have to be 5 years out from the last time you took it to even be able to get coverage at all.  That never made sense to me.  If you don't know anything about Clomid, it's a fertility drug, but all it does is stimulate ovulation.  It only stays in your system for 1 cycle, and I was on the lowest dose.  Now that I have cancer, I wonder if there is some connection between Clomid and cancer.  Why else would the insurance company not cover me within 5 years of taking it?  Luckily we were able to work it so that we got group coverage (technically) through the new company.  If there is any connection, the companies that denied us coverage were smart because they'd be out of alot of money now!  Just things that make you say...:hmmm.

Have a great day everyone! I'm relishing my normal mommy duties today.

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi all, I've been away from the boards for a few days after my first AC treatment and my how this group has grown!

I had Emend and Zofran and still had some nausea for about a day and a half or so.  I'm going to talk to my onc about it before the next round to see what else I can try.  I am having almost no appetite though and really have to force myself to eat and drink protein drinks.  I've also started having heartburn and an acidy taste in my mouth, which I think is contributing to me not wanting to eat.  My onc is calling in a prescription for that so hopefully it will help.  I'm also not sleeping well and it is making me very cranky!  I'm getting a prescription for that too.

I was having the same thought this morning about wishing I could be in a medically induced coma during chemo!  It would be nice if it would only have to last for a few days instead of for months, though. 

LuvMyLab I'm taking Lupron to protect my ovaries, I think it is similar to Zoladex.  I'm having hot flashes and have been having trouble sleeping for over a month but the sleeplessness worsened a lot once chemo started.  Is it normal to have trouble sleeping during menopause?  Because the Lupron basically just chemically induces menopause.  Sometimes I get really angry that I am dealing with BC now and may not be able to have kids because of it.  I am 32 now and I finished grad school 3 years ago, got married 2 years ago, and was waiting to have a family until my husband was also done with grad school.  Then this happens and now I will be doing chemo, herceptin, tamoxifen... onc recommends doing at least 2 years of Tamox before trying to have kids. 

• jsw19
    edited September 2010
    Options

Oh, I forgot I also wanted to comment on the BRCA conversation.  I have 2 aunts and a grandmother (all on my mom's side) who have had breast cancer.  One aunt was dx at age 39.  Anyway, I met with a genetic counselor and had the BART test and came back negative.  It seems like BRCA 1 and 2 are relatively rare, even with a family history.  My grandmother is a 20 year survivor this year and my aunts are at 10 and 6 years of survivorship this year.  So I have good role models for beating this!

• Taty
    Taty Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies. I`m 37 y.o. married with two kids 10 y.o.boy and 21 months girl. All our family live in Europe. My father in low was here during my chemo, helped a lot. My grandma had a breast cancer at age 43 and was 30 years survivor. My mom had BC at age 50 and was 10 years survivor, but died last January from ovarian cancer. And now I`m BRCA1+, that`s why family history of BC so strong.

• deenah
    edited September 2010
    Options

JSW - It took me a long time to get the nausea thing figured out (I never had it totally under control).  For the acid, they prescribed Protonex, which I still take daily.  It really really helps with that heartburn and acid.  The acid adds alot to the nausea.  Protonex reduces the production of acid.  I tried taking Prilocec, but it didn't help at all.  Also, ask about Carafate.  That really helped with my stomach.  I had so much acid that my stomach got burned when I threw up.  My throat would burn too, which made it impossible to eat or even drink without major pain.  I wish I had known about Carafate before this happened because I ended up in the hospital after the first time.  The second time it happened, I started the Carafate immediately, and my throat and stomach were dramatically better within 24 hours.  Huge difference!  Lidocaine helped with my burned throat from throwing up acid.  IT just numbed it so I could eat and drink.  Not that you have had all of these problems, but these are things I learned about from the chemo nurses, not my Dr, and I wish I had learned about them before those things happened to me.  As for sleep, during A/C, I only needed Ativan to sleep, but I think toward the end of that I started taking Ambien with it.  I cannot sleep at night without them, and just figured that once I am completely out of treatment I will try to get off of the sleep aids.  You need your sleep, so I am glad you are getting prescriptions to help with that.  I feel for you because A/C was the hardest part of chemo for me.  Hang in there! 

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Options

OMG, I've been gone for a few days and we are certainly growing!!!

I had the BRCA testing and I am negative but I did have a bmx because I had 5 separate tumors and am triple negative.

I have not had a period since I started chemo but my onc thinks it will be back eventually - great! Yell The hot flashes are the worst, keep me up all night and drive me crazy all day. I feel kind of bad asking my Dr. for a sleep aid, I feel like he's going to think I just want the drugs or something. I know I really need to get past this and just ask...

My libido has taken a major hit! I feel so bad for my DH, but not enough to do anything about it. He has been wonderful and patient - he deserves a medal!Smile

I'm also dealing with crazy weight gain - anyone else?

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi and welcome to more new ladies!  So sorry you have to be here, but glad we can support each other. 

I've had terrible problems sleeping since chemopause.  Gabapentin (Neurontin- brand name) has helped.  One more crappy side effect.  In fact, the last time I saw my onc I told her I was feeling "crappy" and that's what she wrote in my file notes!  

Deenah, never took Clomid.  I've often wondered what the heck caused my bc as I have no risk factors and lots of supposedly "protective" factors, such as having kids in my early 20's and breast feeding, not having much fat (since the fat makes estrogen and I'm er+,) and a couple others which I can't remember because my brain has been pretty fried since chemo!

Anyway, I've also lots a lot of the modesty I used to hold so dear!  Since it seems like half the city has seen my boobs and heard about my whole life history I'm happy to share some details of my sex life with a sister so you don't feel so alone.  It is what it is, we might as well be able to commisserate!

Hope everyone's having a great week!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010
    Options

libido ????  I think I remember what that was like but I am not sure....lol....

My period came back on 12/24/09 so my body is giving the notice that I do not need a Christmas present this year......

• DanielleSurvivorSince03-09
    DanielleSurvivorSince03-09 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hey girls!  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I hope I can join your group!  My name is Danielle.  I'm 32.  I was diagnosed March 24, 2009, the day before my 31st bday.  My breast cancer went misdiagnosed for about 8 months.  I found my first lump following an elective cosmetic procedure and my surgeon told me it was normal to feel changes after surgery.  I always thought what I was feeling was a ripple in the implant or a valve or something.  I became pregnant in Feb 2009 and found another lump in my armpit.  My gynecologist told me it was a hormonal cyst from the pregnancy.  I miscarried a couple weeks later, then watched Dr. Oz special on Oprah about medical mistakes.  I insisted on a mammogram right away and a few days later, it was confirmed through biopsy.  I had stage IIB, possibly stage IIIA grade 3 HER2+ ER+ Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.  And now I'm part of "the club".  I underwent 6 rounds of chemo (TCH), lumpectomy (downgraded from mastectomy after near complete respond to chemo), axillary node dissection, 33 rads treatments, a year of Herceptin and am now taking Tamoxifen.  I have another surgery in November to remove scar tissue (capsulectomy) that's formed around my implant.  My husband and I went through years of infertility issues before the miscarriage and breast cancer and adopted a baby boy in November. 

• leelee32
    leelee32 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi, I'm 32 and have 3 children and a wonderful husband. I was just diagnosed and will be getting a bi-lateral mastectomy on the 15th. I am also a hodgkins disease survivor. Happy to be able to connect with so many strong women!

edited September 2010
    Options

Hey girls!  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I hope I can join your group!  My name is Danielle.  I'm 32.  I was diagnosed March 24, 2009, the day before my 31st bday.  My breast cancer went misdiagnosed for about 8 months.  I found my first lump following an elective cosmetic procedure and my surgeon told me it was normal to feel changes after surgery.  I always thought what I was feeling was a ripple in the implant or a valve or something.  I became pregnant in Feb 2009 and found another lump in my armpit.  My gynecologist told me it was a hormonal cyst from the pregnancy.  I miscarried a couple weeks later, then watched Dr. Oz special on Oprah about medical mistakes.  I insisted on a mammogram right away and a few days later, it was confirmed through biopsy.  I had stage IIB, possibly stage IIIA grade 3 HER2+ ER+ Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.  And now I'm part of "the club".  I underwent 6 rounds of chemo (TCH), lumpectomy (downgraded from mastectomy after near complete respond to chemo), axillary node dissection, 33 rads treatments, a year of Herceptin and am now taking Tamoxifen.  I have another surgery in November to remove scar tissue (capsulectomy) that's formed around my implant.  My husband and I went through years of infertility issues before the miscarriage and breast cancer and adopted a baby boy in November. 

edited September 2010
    Options

Didn't mean to post twice sorry.  It told me it didn't go through.  Darn chemo brain.

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Danielle and leelee,

Danielle, great birthday Wink...mine's March 26th.  Sorry you had to go through so much to get a diagnosis.  Thank goodness you persisted and they finally figured it out and you had a good response to TCH.  Big congrats on your new baby boy!!!

leelee, sorry about your recent diagnosis.  We'll be right here for you as you go through your BMX.  We already know you're a survivor!!  This is just another hurdle, and between you and all the other strong women here we're quite a powerful force!!!

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options
    JSW- oh the A/C is so terrible. I hate to even think about it. I'm sure you know this but two things that are very hard to do but helped lessen the nausea SO MUCH when I did them- walking (even just up and down the hall but ideally 15-25 min in the park or something- I would get rides to the park) and drinking water (as much as possible). The walking was so important for me for the nausea- I mean, I took 3-5 kinds of anti-emetics at a time as well, i'm not suggesting you only walk, but as an additional thing. The other thing that made a big difference for me was controlling the constipation from the nausea drugs- sorry to be, ah, indelicate, but when I wasn't going regularly the nausea was a lot worse. I used miralax and totally recommend it. GOOD LUCK!
  • forwardbyfaith
    forwardbyfaith Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thank you ladies for all sharing your stories.  I am still waiting on test results so don't know what treatment is going to look like yet.  But it is good to know I can come here and meet others who are going through the same thing.  Just saw my dr. yesterday and she wants me to get the Oncotype test done.  Anyone else had this done?

• PinkSurvivor
    PinkSurvivor Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Melanie,

I'm Tina, nice to meet you.  I am 33 years old and have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now, we have lived together the whole time and I am also the mother of two girls Madison is 8 and Hannah is 6.

I was dx on 7-19-10, will do 6 month of TCH then double masectomy and another 6 months of herceptin since I am HR2+.  I also had the BRCA testing done and it came back positive for ovarian cancer.  I have no family history of breast cancer either. 

I will be starting chemo next Thursday.

I am sorry that any of us have to deal with this, at any age but thankful we are all able to have a place to come and support one another. 

• heathhoff
    heathhoff Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello,

My name is Heather and I live in Henderson, NV.  I was 32 when diagnosed and am now 33.  I have a 4 yr old son.  I am lucky and thankfull to have such a loving and supportive husband.  I finished chemo the end of June, had surgery the end of July, I am in my 4th week of rad, and I have 6 more months of herceptin every 3 weeks.  My son loves to tell everyone that my cancer is gone, but doesn't quite understand while mommy has to still see the doctors all the time.  I will be relieved when rad is over and I will only have to see the docs every 3 weeks.  It is nice to know that I am not alone in this battle as we are all still young.  I have a hard time relating to the ladies at my oncs office as they are all older and at different stages in their lives.  I was lucky to have a great surgeon who left me with clean scars and all the docs that see my scars ask me to compliment my surgeon for them as he did such a great job.  I just wish that my breasts were close in size, shopping for new bras is going to be a challenge.  This is a small concern though when I think about everything I have been through and am thankful to be alive.  I have been having heart problems since the herceptin was switched to every 3 weeks.  The ladies at the cardioligst will know me well by the time this jurney is over.  I havent git my period yet and hoping I do sooner than later, I want the hot flashes to go away.

• jsw19
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thanks deenah and jessamine for the suggestions on coping with the AC side effects.  My onc just prescribed Protonex or whatever it is called for me yesterday and I also got some Tums and that has seemed to help settle the acid a bit.  I also went for a walk with my husband last night and that made me feel a lot better too.  I am drinking tons of water but probably should take something for constipation.  Honestly I feel like my house has turned into a pharmacy with all these things I'm taking for side effects!
  • deenah
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Tina and Heather - Unfortunately, welcome to the cancer club...and the HER2+ club.  I just can't believe how many young women there are with breast cancer.  This thread keeps growing and growing! 

Tina - good luck with your first treatment next week!

Heather - That's great about your scars!  I know what you mean about not relating to others at the onc's office.  I am also, by far, one of the youngest there.  I have met a couple of ladies I have become friends with who are only a few years older than I am.  They both have young kids, so we relate on that level too.  In fact, one of them lives less than a block away from me, so we have become fast friends!  That is amazing that your son knows to tell people your cancer is gone.  My kids know I am sick, but I don't think I have ever used the word cancer with them.  The have no idea how sick I am, or what it all means.  My 3 year old daughter just knows that when "mommy is better we are going to Disneyland".  She tells everyone that.

JSW - I'm so glad your doc prescribed Protonex.  That has helped me so much!  Even though I am done with chemo, I still take it because I also get alot of acid from anxiety.  I hope it works for you, and you can get the acid under control.  

I met with my plastic surgeon today, and I am almost positive I am going ahead with immediate reconstruction with implants.  The recovery will not be fun, but from what I have learned so far, I am going to take my chances with the rads damaging my right side.  Even if it does, she said that 95% of the time, it's not severe enough to even need another surgery.  And if she does see something she can tweek or fix, she will.  She has a great reputation, and I am confident with her.  She also works in tandem with my BS, so I know both the cancer and asthetics will be taken into consideration during surgery.  I meet with another plastic surgeon in SF tomorrow, and another rads oncologist at UCSF tomorrow.  Unless the rads doc tells me they can't properly radiate the nodes that had cancer in them before chemo, I can't imagine changing my mind at this point.  I just want to avoid having to take skin and tissue or muscle form another part of my body if possible.  So, that's my big news for today.  I have 1 more week of feeling pretty decent, and then back to bed I go for a while.  Hopefully tomorrow's appointments will go well and I will have feel totally confident with my decision.  The question is, how to I teach my 3 year old that she can't hug mommy for a while??

edited September 2010
    Options
    Deenah, I just saw one of your earlier posts and also took Clomid for fertility issues, maybe like 5-6 times. I definitely think that's why I got breast cancer!!  I have a blog (www.daniellemurray.wordpress.com) and I've heard from a few other young women who also took Clomid and got breast cancer. That's crazy. 
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Deenah, I just saw one of your earlier posts and also took Clomid for fertility issues, maybe like 5-6 times. I definitely think that's why I got breast cancer!!  I have a blog (www.daniellemurray.wordpress.com) and I've heard from a few other young women who also took Clomid and got breast cancer. That's crazy. 
  • kate_e
    kate_e Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm 34 now, but was 30 and my initial diagnosis and 33 for my stage iv diagnosis. I have a 10 month old baby boy - cancer came back in my third trimester but it went undiagnosed for about five months.

Going through chemo with a toddler sucks, but my husband is a great support. We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary this year, but so far no seven-year-itch - the only itching round here is my eyebrows as they fall out.

Kate 

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Tina, Heather, Danielle, Kate, and anyone else I may have left out.  It totally sucks that we all ended up here, but I love that we have this forum to bounce questions/concerns off of each other. 

I had my last Herceptin treatment yesterday (yay!) and I am SOOO looking forward to getting this annoying port taken out.  I see my Onc once a month for 6 months or so. and then probably every three months for a while. 

I hope those of you going through chemo right now are finding relief for your side effects.  I can't believe it has been almost a year since I finished chemo (Oct 09).  I pretty much feel back to normal physically, so it does eventually get better.

Well. my husband is off this week, so we are taking the kids to the movies now.  See you all later!

Sherrill 

• CrunchyPoodleMama
    CrunchyPoodleMama Member Posts: 312
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi, girls - I was diagnosed last year at 37 with DCIS. I'm married with no living children yet (we've been trying for most of the 8 years we've been married, and have had six miscarriages).

After a lumpectomy and re-excision, I found out a couple of weeks ago that I still have some remaining DCIS. My doctor says I have to have a mastectomy, but with reconstruction, that will mean MONTHS more of having to put trying for a baby on hold. So, I'm saying "screw it" and we're going to try for a baby this month!! All I can do is pray that it doesn't turn invasive while I'm pregnant. Having a baby is too important to me to risk not having one just because I was pressured into having the mastectomy first. 

edited September 2010
    Options

CrunchyPoodleMama - I'm so sorry to hear about your latest DCIS finding and that you've had so many miscarriages.  My husband and I tried to have a baby for 4 years (including undergoing several fertility treatments) before I miscarried and got breast cancer right after.  We were devastated but started our adoption home study while I recovered from surgery after realizing the Tamoxifen would put a baby on hold another 5 years.  We signed up with an adoption consultant after my pathology results came back from surgery and were picking up our new little baby boy 3 weeks later!  It was so exciting.  If you ever decide to adopt, I can share our information if you're interested.  It's such an exciting process and now looking back, I'm so thankful for everything that led me to my little scrumptious Aidan and wouldn't change anything.

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Kate, Julia... My heart truly aches for you and the sh*tty hands you've been dealt.  Really all of here... it's just such an awful disease.  Danielle, did they give you any trouble adopting because of your diagnosis?  Or can they even ask about that?  What a blessing to have your family! Sherrill, Yay for deportation!!  Can't wait for the day...

Wow, I've been so busy doing the million papers, errands, etc. since back to school- thought I'd have more time, but actually so far I have less.  Maybe next week...

Radiation is moving along, today was #25 of 36 (28 regular, 8 boosts.)  My boob is red and painful! Ready for this phase to be done so I can be back to just Herceptin every three weeks.

My hair is getting longer and thicker but I still usually wear my wig.  I'd go without the wig if I could color my hair...anyone know of a natural product that washes out in about a month so as the roots grow out you can re-do the color? Also something that won't turn my hair pink or orange?!  I've heard some crazy stories!!   

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!