Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Western New York Area

Options

Comments

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Betty, are you as tired of this dreary weather as I am, feels like it's lasting forever.  I noticed another thread called something like Women in the Northeast.  They too were complaining about the weather but were in Maine and New Hampshire.  I think they really got it this winter, as so many of the storms went right along the coastline.  Most of our snow melted on Sat. with the rain, but back today.  Karen

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen, congraulations your done!!!

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

hi all, it's sunny and Maureen is finished with chemo, what a grand day!  Karen

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited March 2011
    Options

I AM DONE!!!  Finished my final chemo tx. today.  The chemo nurses sang to me and presented me with a certificate.  Then my DD had a really nice surprise party for me when I got home.  Pink balloons and pink breast cancer  insignias all over the house (LOL)  Even the NP came and spoke with me, she was so nice and compassionate, I think we've turned the corner with our relationship. A really smart woman.  Hoping it's all uphill from here. I'm so excited, not feeling the greatest but generally relieved, feeling like I reached the top of Mound Everest and going down the other side.  Yeah!!!! 

Thank you everyone for the kind wishes.  I'm nervous but excited all at the same time. Yes, spring is coming.  That's been my benchmark for recovery, spring.  This week is significant for me, I finished chemo, my dad died and was buried 18 years ago. (in his 50's on a stair climber, remember cause I was 81/2 mo. pregnant with my DS) and my mom's birthday (she died of pancreatic ca 16 months ago).  Wonder if there's some kind of karma thing with this week?  I should plan a vacation during this week to keep infusing good memories into this week.

Love,

Maureen

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2011
    Options

HI Maureen - so glad you are done! You'll be finished with all this tx soon and will be able to enjoy summer.  I am glad you're breaking the Karma as I am certain you will win the war!! I'm  super sad to hear of your parents.  This time of year must be so hard on you.

Everyone : Thanks so much  for your prayers and well wishes. I have to admit, I am a bit nervous today. Have the uncomfortable feeling. I am glad tomorrow is coming.

Bevin

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Bevin,  GOOD LUCK tomorrow, sending ((((((((((((((cyber hugs))))))))))))))  your way.  Please let us know right away how things went.  When will you get the results?

Maureen

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen, what a wondeful day it was, you even got sunshine!!!!!!!!!  I'm so thrilled that you are finished, just get through any icky days this week, you are on the homestretch now.  Bevin, sending thoughts and prayers your way for good news tommorow.  Will be waiting to hear from you. Karen

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Maureen - My onco said they should have them the next day or day after. My appt wont be over till the end of the day so I assume sometime Thursday.

Please let me know if you need anything. I am happy to help in anyway. Hopeful this last chemo is not as hard on you.

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Karen/Bev~~  all uphill from here, Day 3-5 seem to be the "iffy" days, so Wed-Fri will tell.  Right now I'm on the steroid high, usually lasts for two days and then onto recovery.  The office gave me a book too, life after cancer.  I looked at the book and thought "oh yeah"  after cancer.

Bevin,  so nice of you to offer support.  I'm okay.  Please concentrate on getting through the next couple of days with good thought, good prayers, and good wishes.  Everyone is rooting for good news. 

Love,

Maureen  

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin,  Just sending good thoughts to you today.  Let us know how you made out.

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi ladies- home and done w PET/CT , now waiting. Thank you everyone for your kindness and positive energy. I'll update you when I know more.

Maureen - glad you're still on the steroid high. .. be good if that can get you through on this final round!

YEAHHH its sunny and warm.

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

bevin, now comes the waiting, hopefully it will be short with good news.  If todays weather is an indicator it will be good news.  I can surely stand this type of weather, warm and sunny, for the whole week.  I don't think the weather forecast agrees.  Sending you calm, quiet thoughts.  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Everyone,  still feeling okay, sad the Sabres lost, they're our only hope for a big win.  I think they're in 8th place.  My DS will be angry because he accuses me of causing the team to lose when I watch the game.  Big fan of hockey and always peek.  Tonight I watched the game and yes, they lost :( 

Bevin,  we'll keep praying until we hear good news.

Karen, how are you doing these days? 

Laura08, How is Sadie?

Hi Kindone/EllieD, haven't heard from you on the thread, what's new?

Beautiful day today, enjoyed the sun, maybe even made my Vitamin D level rise a bit LOL

Good night

Maureen

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Maureen, missing the sun today, but in the long range forecast there are 3 sunny days coming.  Maybe it'll just creep up on us (spring, that is).  Just to catch up, my DGD and Emmie are both seeing their counselors at school, my DGD's said she is very resourceful and intuitive.  She has been in contact with my DD.  Last week, my DD was working late, so I had the door to my flat open and heard really loud sobbing and crying.  I ran downstairs and it was Emmie, we got her settled down to where she could talk to us, the 22 yr. old sister who moved in after Mom passed, has been abusing Emmie verbally and that night pushed Emmie's face into her pillow so she could not breathe.  Emmie strugled away from her and ran here to our house.  Emmie had a mark on her back from where sister hit her.  I called the police after seeing the mark, they spoke with both Emmie and the sister, who they had had calls to that house before.  They let Emmie get her clothes and brought her back here.  The dad was at work, so they briefed him over the phone and made an appt. to see him in the morning. Child Protective Services was called in to begin an investigation.  The sister apparently is bipoar and off her meds., CPS will mandate counseling for her and a psychiatric evaluation to make sure she stays on her meds, as well as drop in visits to be sure Emmie is safe.  So all the right authorities are on board, can you imagine just loosing your mom and having an evil sister abusing you! Emmie will see her counselor at school twice a week or as needed, our house has been designated a safe house for her to come to.  And here I thought the sister moving in would make it easier on Emmie. There has not been any trouble since that night.  One good thing is my grandchildren got to see the police as the authorities that make situations safe. I have been writing in my journal about my godmother and it has helped me to record the good and silly things we did and realize her quality of life was not good.  She had been telling my cousin and I that and we were refusing to listen because we were not ready to lose her.  That has helped me immensely, I will be going to Pa. in a few weeks to see my cousin and imagine that first trip will be difficult, but he and I will muddle through it together.  I am 6& 1/2 weeks nonsmoking and I am amazed I did it, once you do cancer you can do everything!! I got a stationary bike and am riding it for an hour a day in 20 min. sessions in order to take off some of the weight  I have put on with the AI's and quiting smoking.  The people on the Stop Smoking thread are really nice and very supportive, so they are there for you whenever you are ready.  I don't think I ever met not nice people on BC.org.  So, that's what I've been up to, by my estimation this could be a tough day for you, Wed.-Fri., I think you said.  If so cosy up with a good book, it isn't a nice day to be outside anyway. Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Karen,  WTH,  I feel so sorry for that family.  Sounds like the sister needs some help.  Let's pray she gets the help she needs.  A lot on her, home, family and she lost her mother too.  Taking it out on Emmie is no way to deal with grief and glad that was recognized.  What a difficult situation.  This cancer screws with everything and I'm sick of it all!!! Hoping Emmie is okay and will realize her sister might be acting out trying to deal with her grief.  Hoping she's in a safe place and getting the help they need.  Poor dad must be beside himself, dealing with loss of his wife and the aftermath of grief.  WoW you're doing great with your quitting smoking, you should be very proud of yourself. especially through the loss of your godmother. On the bike 20 minutes a day is great.   Yep, these next couple of days are really busy at work and not feeling the greatest, just tired. Had a lot of meetings today and with the weather, I think people get cranky.

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies, I am here in the rain, I read your posts every night.  Bevin I am praying for you.  Maureen and Karen can't wait to meet you ladies in the Spring.

Maureen, I an afraid for the Sabers, We are big fan also.

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Kindone,  glad to hear your on line and keeping in touch.  Yes, I'm watching the rain too.  Boy, we are getting our share of rain today.  It's suppose to be this way till Saturday.  I'm not far from Tonawanda Creek and Black creek, so we'll keep an eye on the water.  The main road to our street was full of water last weekend.  The deer have no where to go, so they eat all of our bushes (LOL).  If it's not the coyotes chasing them out of their home, it's the water.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Sabres, I'd like to see them go all the way.  They've come so close.  DH is a Bills fan, now that's hopeless Tongue out

Off to watch survivor. 

Bevin:  sending prayers to you tonight.  Just wanted you to know we're here thinking of you :)

Maureen

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

kindone, I am a Sabre's fan also, and like you Maureen if they win and I didn't watch, then I am afraid to watch the next for fear I will jinx them.  I think Buffalo sports fans are just hungering for a winning team from any sport.  Would love to see the Sabres do it, the town would go wild.  Hope tomorrow is less tiring for you Maureen.  Karen

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi All,

I have just come upon this thread.  My name is Cheryl and I live in Tonawanda.  As with all of you I am sick of this cold and wet weather.  Can't wait until spring and warm weather. 

Maureen, so happy you have finished chemo.

Bevin, hope you have good news soon.

It will be very nice to meet everyone in the Spring. 

(((((HUGS)))))

Heymoose (Cheryl)

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Cheryl, great screenname :)  Glad you could join the thread but as everyone says, not the best circumstances.  Looking forward to doing the spring get together too. Are you a Sabres fan too? FYI, Some of the girls, including me are in active tx. and need to get through these before enjoying some time with all the amazing women on this thread

Update, today is not one of the better days, feeling kind of yucky bone pain, nose thing, etc....  Tried to get through work today and just gave up and went offline.  I'm tired.  Wonder how long the se from the last one will go away for good. Can't complain, the se aren't like A/C.  Rain doesn't help the mood, but I opened the windows (52F) just to get some fresh air in the house.  Walked around the yard looking for crocus to peek out of the ground but nothing yet.

DH is flying home tonight, looking like a no-go to get home, guessing his flight will be cancelled as the weather channel has dark green and thunderstorm warnings for his flight home. I'll keep all posted. At least it's not snow.  I'm sick of the snow, and want it to all go away.

Bevin, still praying, please let us know you are okay?  (((((((((hugs & love)))))))))))))

Maureen

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

HI everyone, Heard from the Onco office late today. Thank you thank you thank you for all your prayers and well wishes. Welcome Cheryl!!

I did get the results from the PET. Good news, is no other uptake shown aside from the lung lesion. The SUV level on that area was 3.5 and as I understand anything over 2 is concerning for a potential mets situation. However, the radiologist who read the PET stated he thought it was likely consistent with fibrosis from the radition. I do have to have another PET in 3 months to see what any changes it might show.

So, not sure how I feel. I will see the pulmonologist next week, so he will see the results from the PET and hopefully concur with the radiologist opinion. Either way- good news, no other areas of concern lit up. Difficult for me to feel confident though this is not something to worry about from a mets situation. I wish I could worry less. I am sure in 3 mos, when no change is seen I will feel better :)

Depending on how confident the pulmonary doctor feels after looking at the slides, I may get a second opinion. what would you guys do? I dont want to look for trouble, but I dont want to have someone miss it either.

I'd love your opinions.

xxoxo

Bevin

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin,  Sounds like okay news for now but wait to see what the pulmo guy interprets data. I PM'd you with some ?? I'd ask him.  Gotta run, I'll get on the thread later.

Good Morning/Afternoon ladies, enjoying the weather Tongue out

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited March 2011
    Options

Bevin, good news on the PET scan.  You have asked a really tough question.  I would wait to hear what the pulmonary doctor has to say.  I would then do some research and make a educated decision.  The pulmonary doctor may be in agreement w/ the radiologist and then wait the 3 months for the next PET scan to show no change.

I wish you good luck when you see the doctor.

Maureen, I am a Sabres fan. 

I am coming up on 3 years of being a survivor.  I went through a bilateral mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction.  I did not have to have chemo or radiation and turned down tamoxifin.  My reconstruction went great and I feel really good. 

If I may be able to help anyone while they are going through BC just send me a pm.

Well off to the couch to take a nap, trying to get over this cold.

(((((HUGS)))))

Cheryl

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi bevin, it's mixed news isn't it, nothing major going on but waiting on further testing. How many weeks of radiation did you have?  The radiologist is saying it is fibrosis, is this the same radiologist who gave you the radiation treatment, I don't remember fibrosis even being mentiontioned by my RO when he was explaining the possible side effects.  I didn't find this site until I was finished with all my treatment and so did not have access to all the fantastic knowledge  my cyber sisters provide.  The skin on my radiated breast is harder and has less sensation and is still darker than my R breast.  Did you experience this?  I have an appt. with my BS on Monday and want to ask all these questions plus have the benefit of all you women's experiences to ask my questions.  I did have two infected seromas on the L side which were treated with two courses of antibiotics, maybe that had something to do with the texture and loss of sensation in that breast?  Asking for all you ladies prayers and thoughts for that appt. on Mon.  I defintely am having some anxiety about it, even though I know the anxiety is not profitable in the least  Karen  p.s. what day do you see the pulmonalogist?

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Welcome Cheryl, I have many relatives in the Tonawanda area.  I am in Batavia and like you cannot wait till we all get together, It is such a wonderful group of women and I'm so glad Maureenn started this site.  I too am a Sabres fan and am now convinced since I didn't watch either of the two games they won, now cannot watch any games for fear I will bring bad luck.  It would be such a moral booster for this entire area if we won, I hate to even say it, will knock on wood.  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi, back on after finishing meetings today. 

Bevin, hope you are well. If I think of anymore ??, I'll PM you or post on this thread.  You must be exhausted after all that anxiety of scans, waiting etc... hoping your weekend is restful and quiet.

Cheryl, yeah!!! another Sabres fan. Glad you joined us. So glad you dodged the chemo/rads bullet. The surgery is stressful enough. Glad you came through the mx okay. Everything is upward from the surgery. It's just so hard.  I had lumpectomy because they didn't realize the size of the tumor until they got in there.  If they did, I'd have the mx too.  I hear the recovery is difficult and it sounds like you championed through.  I'm so happy for you.  I just finished chemo and will be starting rads soon.  Where did you have tx?  I heard tamox is no fun but many women report having no se at all.  I think it's an individual thing.  I will be having AI's after tx. not sure what the difference, but I guess I'll find out.

Hi Karen,  Good luck on your appt. on Monday.  I'll be praying for you.. I hope all goes well and good reports are in your future.  Please let us know how you make out at docs.  Hope the weather holds for you too!!!

When is the next Sabres game?  tonight?  I'm ashamed to say, not sure.  I've been keeping an eye on the Japan quake, tsunami and radioactive plant.  God help these people who live in Japan.  Hope there's no big waves on the west coast either.  I heard Hawaii did okay, 6 ft. waves.  To me that's still really high.  Praying for their families and lives. 

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

I believe they play tomorrow night against Toronto. I've been watching the news also, really kind off puts our snowstorms in perspective, I'd rather muddle through a winter, then face what other state's and country's do.  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Agreed Karen.  Hope the Sabres win tomorrow night.  It was snowing outside, really windy, couldn't see very far and thought, oh well, I'm in a warm house, that's still standing, food in the fridge, family is safe, the snow will stop eventually.  Still trying to get in touch with brother-in-law, they live in KY and watching their weather.  They were flooding two weeks ago, now things look really bad.  I'll keep trying.  Have a good night ladies, I'll post tomorrow, tired today.

Maureen

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

sleep well Maureen, you had your last tired week!   Karen 

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Karen,  saying prayers for Japan.  They've been so supportive of the US through the years.  It's heartbreaking to watch the coverage.  Watching their lives washed away, it's like a horror movie.  I'm exhausted watching but can't stop watching the coverage, it's sureal.  To think they were going about a normal day and their lives are forever altered.

Maureen