Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Western New York Area

Options

Comments

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited March 2011
    Options

EllenD:  How did the scan go?  Did you get shopping done?

Karen, sorry kids are sick.  It's going around everywhere.  Journaling is a good idea.  I have this little list I make everyday called things I am grateful for and somedays  I was grateful for waking up, it wasn't snowing etc...but it got me through the day.

• EllieD
    EllieD Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the positive words. My mammo was clear! Won't see Roswell for another year, if things go according to plan.  DH and I went to the Melting Pot after and had a late lunch of cheese fondue, salads, and CHOCOLATE - a wonderful way to celebrate.  Walked around the mall a bit and did a little impulse shopping.  And the 2 hour ride home was accomplished with no snow!  All in all an excellent day.

Maureen, have you heard about the book of 365 days of thank yous?  I'm not sure that's the name, but it was written by a guy who wrote a thank you note to someone every day. It talks about how it changed his life and the lives of those around him.  Kind of like your "grateful list". I think maybe that's something I should do too.

Hope you all have a good night.

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited March 2011
    Options

Ellie, so glad you don't have tests till next year, can't wait til I hear such magical words.  Maureen, kids are better, I have it now, that happened when I was a pre-school teacher. The kids would have it one week, I would follow right behind them. If I count right you have one more chemo to go, or are you finished?  If so, we shoud be doing a happy dance for you.  Karen  p.s. good idea to do right at the beginning of the day, I think I'll try to journal then, start the day off better with good memories.

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Karen, One more chemo to go!!  Monday.  Still trying to get ideas on getting a little something for the chemo nurses who were so nice and patient through this journey.  Any ideas? Sorry your not feeling well :(  Boy, you're having a tough time lately.   

EllieD, never been to the Melting Pot, how was the food? I've never heard of that book, but will take a trip to Barnes and Noble and have a look, thanks for the suggestion, sound like a really good book. Always looking for good books, I love to read.  DH has a kindle that he always takes on business and loves it. He's more of a sci-fi or classical book type of guy.  I like a good romance or mystery. 

Really busy at work today, not used to being so busy, I'm pooped.  Wonder if I'll ever have energy back again and have to get up early tomorrow to take DH truck to the shop. Came home from out of town and the window is weird.  Hoping it's nothing but still have to make the trip. Was looking forward to getting DS off to school and taking it easy.  Friday is usually a really tired, bone pain day and it's suppose to sleet tomorrow.

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies, Its cold and tomorrow is suppose to be a mess for the AM driving.  Welcome to WNY.

Karen hope the grand kids are getting better, never a daul moment.

Elle, Great news, now you can relax.

Maureen,  my sister doesn't need chemo, Thank God.

• EllieD
    edited March 2011
    Options

The Melting Pot was really good, but rather expensive.  It was fun to have the fondue pot in the middle of the table and have the server prepare it right there. 

When I finished chemo I brought the nurses a platter of fancy muffins I baked.  They seemed to enjoy it.  Take heart - your energy will return. Hope your Friday is a good one. 

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Betty,  GREAT nEWS with your sister. so happy for her.  We both know the bullet she dodged avoiding the chemo.  Was her onco score low? 

EllieD, The restaurant sounds wonderful.  When I get my taste buds back, I'll add to the list of things to do.   Good idea taking the muffins for last treatment.  Need to keep DS and DD away from the treats though, I'll hide them in the basement.  I make banana bread with dark chocolate chips to take to the chemo nurses and the bread never made it to treatment, they ate before I could take it (LOL). Even made three loaves one time and they finished off in two days.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2011
    Options

YUM - Now I am hungy for Banana bread w chocolate chips!

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Easy to make from scratch too.  Here's recipe:

1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of butter

2 eggs (take out of fridge at start to take chill off)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups of mashed really ripe bananas

2 cups of flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

~ 1 cup of Hershey's dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 9 in. loaf pan. Gather 3 mixing bowls; 1 for bananas, 1 for wet ingredients, 1 dry ingredients.  Make sure the wet ingredient bowl is the largest bowl because all other ingredients get added to the bowl.  Peel and mash bananas in a bowl (2-3 medium sized bananas yields 1 1/2 cup) and set aside. In the wet ingredient bowl, Cream together butter and sugar (takes a while using Kitchen Aid mixer) until creamy Takes about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time till well mixed. Add vanilla extract.  In dry ingredient bowl  combine flour, baking soda and salt till mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the the wet ingredients a little at a time until well mixed.  Fold in mashed bananas then fold in chocolate chips. Bake in oven for about 1 hour.  I bake for 15 minutes, tent with foil for 30 minutes, remove foil for last 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool on rack for 15 minutes and then just pop out of pan.  You can double or triple ingredients and these loaves freeze well too.  (need to keep from kids to get to freezer)

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

How are you feeling Bevin? 

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen - Ok, I think these are going to be the weekend project.  The recipe sounds delicious. Thank you for posting it!!

So I saw the Onco today. He wants to do a 'eyes to toes" aka full body Pet scan. Felt the results of the CATS scan warranted looking closer and seeing if they can definitively find out what the lesion is. Or at least get more information.  So that is scheduled for Tuesday at Windsong.

A little nervous, but glad to be going. Depending on those results, I may seek a second opinion.

Anyway - I heard there was a mardi gra parade this weekend, Does anyone know anything about that? is it child friendly or for the drinking crowd?

Betty - so glad to hear about your sister. I hope her spirits are up and she feels well.

Ellie - I have been to the Melting Pot too. Loved it there. A lot of fun. Especially the chocolate Fondue!! YUMMM

Hugs

Bevin

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin, PET scan will figure out if lesion is concern or not?   Yep, depending on the results, I'd get a second opinion. Is it too small to biopsy?  Can they just watch for a few months?  I will pray for you.  Remember, don't worry unless there's a reason for worry.  Easier said than done, I know. This damn cancer, I hate it. So sorry you are going through this crap.

Don't know anything about a mardi gras parade??  where did you hear about it?  I'm guessing it would be more of an adult type thing.

Maureen 

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Maureen- It is 6.7cm by 2cm. in the upper and middle lobe. I dont know how thick it was. They didnt really say the PET scan would tell cancer or no cancer. but it can tell you probably malignancy vs something to watch, which is pretty much what we know from the CAT scan. Both Onco and Pulmonary said they dont like to biospy lung as it's a bit of a difficult surgery with potential issues like puncture etc.

I am a bit worried. But on pos side, they are ordering the PET so see if they can gain more info. Next Cat scan after the PET on Tuesday is scheduled in 4 weeks and then 4 mos. Onco said less than 5% of BC patients get fibrosis from pneumonitis from radiation... rediculous. My % chance of distant metastasis and reoccurrence (according to Onco test) is higher than my chance of getting radiation scarring.

I heard about the mardi gras from a girlfriend.I am not sure where she saw it advertised. Maybe I'll google it or check out what 2 do on channel 2.

How are you feeling?.  I hope the post chemo was a bit easier this last time and  I hope you're not feeling to crappy.  Will give you a call this weekend.  I'll send my cell number on PM so you have it. It displays as my work company so you'll likely not pick up!!  I'll also send you the name of the therapist I used. I found it very helpful. I was going through alot with family and other issues when diagnosed and I became a mess. I found talking to this women was really helpful. Great coping tips.

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin, a full body PET scan should give a lot of good information and you are not having to wait long to have it.  You'll be in my thoughts on Tuesday.  I was on another site this evening and there was a college student who might have to come home from Colorado to seek treatment at Roswell.  I gave her the name of our thread in case she comes back to WNY.  Her name is snowlady, definitely from the Buffalo area.  Karen

• kindone
    edited March 2011
    Options

Bevin, You will be in my prayes for Tuesday.  I am sorry you have to go through this.

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Oh thanks Kindone, ... love your screen name!

I am sure its fine. I am glad they're doing more to try and detrmine exactly what they're looking at. How are you feeling? Going to the So Buffalo St Patty's day parade or the one on Deleware.  I hope its good weather for both. I am a fair weather fan of both!  So rain or super cold weather will keep me homw! My daughter loves the "old" original parade as they throw a TON of candy!!

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin,  Understand the path docs are taking with your care. It's a common sense approach and really smart.  If it's pneumocytitis (sp?), it is 100% curable with steroids which is good news.  Thanks for the therapist name, I know about family crisis and bc dx. wreaks havoc with your mind.  Downtown is a haul for me but I'd like to speak with her for recommendation.

Chemo is going okay but taking toll.  Having bone pain, just achy. Out and about today and got really tired so I can tell the chemo is starting to get to me.  Glad I have one more to go. Had to take DH truck in today, window was weird.  Can't help but wonder if someone tried to gain access to the truck at the airport. It's fixed now and we move on.

Karen, we'll watch for the snowlady, hope all is okay with her. We'd welcome her on this site even if she didn't come back to Buffalo.  Once a WNY'er always a WNY'er Kiss   How are you doing?  Did you get over the flu?

Hi kindone!! 

I'm feeling like corned beef and cabbage. Have a good night ladies.

Maureen

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen, feeling much better, it did not last long at all.  Sorry you are achey, tomorrow with all the rain you can just R&R, Sunday also since we look to be getting snow.  The temperature will be more seasonable thank goodness.  Will you be starting AI before you start rads or after?  I started the week after radiation, the RO had had a client that burned very easily while taking rads, so felt it was better to wait to start the AI.  My therapist will be calling me on Monday with the therapist's name and phone number.  I believe she is in Williamville.   Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Karen.  Glad you are feeling better.  Onc hasn't said anything about the AI and I'm not either!!  I'll wait until something is said.

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Karen-  so glad you're feeling better. Wow -  I cant imagine being a college student going through this. If Snowlady is from the area hope she joines us here.  It's good you were able ot reach out to her.

Thanks for your prayers. I am sure it will be fine but will let everyone know what they say.

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Bevin, is today not the very definition of dreary and bonus: snow tomorrow!  I did see in the long range forecast, 2 days of sunshine.  I, too, hope snowlady will join us here, I can't imagine going through that diagnosis, being without family and without insurance.  She spoke of returning home and contacting Roswell.  I had a period of time that I thought I'd be without insurance and the whole time was like your worst nightmare.  It was definitely a period of nothing more would fit on my plate, at the last minute I was able to get Healthy New York, Univera insurance and it has been a lifesaver.  I even got to keep my own breast team

• EllieD
    edited March 2011
    Options

Bevin, will be thinking of you on Tues. Hope It's all good news. I am supposed to fly out of Buffalo tomorrow at 7 a.m. Let's hope its not too snowy. I'm going to visit my sister in Florida. I hate to fly.

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

EllieD,  Have fun in FL. Warmer than here!!

Hi Karen,  hope the weather is being good to you. It's been raining since I woke up.  The creek is to the road. hope it doesn't flood. 

I spent the day making muffins for my LAST chemo, yes, I'm excited.  I made raspberry cheesecake, banana chocolate and blueberry...yes I'm hiding from DD and DS or they won't be here by Monday.  I made xtra for them so hopefully the onc nurses will last until Monday.

Maureen

• snowlady
    snowlady Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,

My name is Christine, I'm from Jamestown.  I've been in Colorado now for almost six years and recently started college.  I have a lump on my breast and I've been having trouble finding a doctor to biopsy.  I saw one through the Komen Grant and it was a horrible experience, and he wouldn't biopsy.  I actually have two lumps now, found the second one about a week ago.  I think I might have to come back if my family can get me into a doctor there.  I have no insurance, I'm getting exhausted looking for resources, I finally told my father, he will pay anything he can for me to get what I need.  Do any of you know a good doctor that will take self pay patients?  My mom has a call into a social worker at Roswell.  Hopefully I will hear something soon. 

Karen, thanks for the invite. 

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Christine, I'm so glad you found your way to us.  I am in Batavia but go to Rochester for treatment.  You are in the worst phase of this journey right now, finding the lump(s) but not knowing your status.  Plus you have the added worry of no insurance, I thought I was in that place for a while and it is tortuous.  I qualified for Healthy New York, Univera insurance, due to my lack of financial resources.  Have you tried to get insurance through Colorado Social Services?  Most states also have a high risk pool for those with no insurance for over 6 mos. If you do decide to come back to WNY I will PM you with the name of my Dr. (he is a love) and his phone number. The other ladies will be on soon with more information for you.  I see you are a night owl too.  I am usually up at least once during the night, I am glad I was able to greet you.  You are not alone anymore.  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Christine, Welcome to the site.  As Karen mentioned, this is the worst part of the journey.  Any hospital is required to treat, regardless of your ability to pay.  Not sure my doc's accept ability to pay however, I can IM you names, just let me know.  Did the doc in CO document the reason he won't do the biopsy? Did you have a mammogram/MRI to understand the nature of the lumps, fluid vs. solid, spiculated vs. symmetrical?   I'd make sure you have copies of the records to work with docs locally. Remember, lumps can be B9 and I hope/pray this is your situation.  My first thought, your not working, do you qualify for medicare? The social workers at Roswell can be very helpful, glad your mom pursued.    Can you call social security/welfare office in CO and ask for direction?  Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. Post often, we're here to help.

Maureen

• bevin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Christine - I am so glad you found us here. As I understand Roswell does take cases of no Insurance as they are supported by the government. I am not sure where Jamestown is as compared to Buffalo, but Strong Memorial in Rochester is a teaching hospital and may be a good choice too dependent on your location. I have nothing else to offer aside from what the ladies already said, I do wish you well. Let us know how you're doing and if you end up coming back to WNY.

Hopefully since you are so young, these are just cysts and nothing cancer related. I will add my prayers.

Bevin

• karen333
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen, last teatment tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Yeah!!!!!!!!  you have made it, hope DH,DD,and DS did not find the hidden cache of muffins.  One more treatment, can you believe it.  You are such a trooper to have gone through all of this and still find time to offer help to another person.  You too Bevin, we are quite the group of ladies.  love to you  Karen

• kindone
    edited March 2011
    Options

Maureen, Congratulations on your last chemo,  I know you are going to miss the great staff at chemo.  They are all so sweet,  When do you start raddation?

Bevin, I am praying for you.

Hi Karen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks for the well wishes Betty and Karen. I'm so excited and scared at the same time.  So far, so good with the muffins.  I have them hidden in a drawer in the fridge and kept vigil today when DD, DH and DS and his friends came home looking for food.  Fed them all dinner, turkey tenderloin and gave them a muffin for dessert.  I can't taste them but said they are good.  DD likes the banana bread better than muffins.  I have my simulation March 14th and start radiation 21st.  Every day 33X.  I finally feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train (LOL). I'll post tomorrow or Tuesday and let everyone know how it went.  Hang on ladies, spring is coming, I can feel it.  Daylight savings time, lent, etc...

Maureen