Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited January 2011
    Options

We don't know who the little person will be, perhap Ayla or Christopher, we won't know for 20 more weeks. 

The animals in the squares are monkeys.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

These are the finials for the window treatment.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2011
    Options

OMG!!!  how cute are they!!!!!  I can just imagine what the nursery will look like......stunning!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011
    Options

Better that mice!!! My screen is too small....sigh. Very sweet.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

DIL went by herself to register for baby stuff, but when they can out at Thanksgiving, DS, DIL and I went together.  I was there to explain what they might need or want.  DIL had picked out a turtle theme, and DS saw the monkeys and went ape! (Sorry)  he added anything with monkeys and DIL took all the turtle stuff off the list.  She was fine with it.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - Those are so cute 

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

DIL will be here tomorrow, and I would like to at least have the quilting done.  I would like to put a special trim on it, which I doubt I could do in 36 hours.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

You have constructed the quilt in what seems like no time at all.  Working at the rate you have done, I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble.  Your DIL sounds like a very lovely natured girl who adores your DS.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

She does love DS.  She was so lonely last night, and DS wanted to play video games with his brother, and she just wanted to talk.  The video game won out, I felt bad for her and told DS.  Maybe I should have chatted with her, but we had already talked nearly an hour yesterday afternoon.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

As much as we see where our children are making slight errors in their relationships if we start to give advice it is quite often not welcomed so there is not much you could have done for her or your DS.  These are the little things that they need to work out on their own.  We know it's called balance but the young have still to learn that.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I agree.  I just told him I felt bad she was lonely, didn't judge him.  I asked if everything was okay, and he said the dogs were messy.  I said "and... this started 36 hours ago?"   He laughed.  They have four dogs, a mutt, two jack Russells and a Great Dane.  Surprise!

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

My goodness!  with that many animals of varying sizes no wonder there was a bit of mess!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece, when my father  died my DH, who loved Dad as much as any son, taught me a lesson.  He realized that there are times when siblings just need each other.  Sometimes in moments of shared memories and deep emotion they are the ones you need most to be with.  One of the reasons we are still happily married after 44 years is that we have each made sure that the other has time with their own family and friends without involvement of the spouses.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I agree.  DIL was not happy that DS came out ahead of her.  She will be here tomorrow night.  But it allowed DS to be himself without fear of hearing about it from her.

The boys came home yesterday from meeting with the widow and her clergy.  Eldest was adamant that there be pictures of our family in the slide program.  So I had to go throught boxes of pics trying to find some with his father.  His father didn't like  to do "family" things so not many pics of him participating in the boys growing up.  But I found some, and was hailed with "You are awesome" over and over again from both boys.

Eldest also told the clergy he had no idea who they were talking about, because it wasn't the man he'd grown up under for 18 years.  I'll bet that stopped them in their tracks.  This from the young man who always tries to see things from boths sides.  I guess he wanted his side to be known, maybe it's his way of healing.

• barbe1958
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece, I hated when my Dad died that everyone talked like he was a saint! Even my step-mother said he never complained once during treatment through lung cancer. He sure DID!!! And often and loud!! And I didn't blame him.

I have a tag line on my email that reads:

We don't always see things as they are, we see them as we are.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I am afraid the boys will be upset when they hear all the glaring  praise for the man who was so abusive.  He was nice to those outside the family.  But even his sisters had been victim to his abuse, but they are all pretending he was a saint.  Ex MIL told me the boys and I were liars about the abuse, once she found out there was no way we'd go back into that situation.  I think she was afraid of me telling people, so if she could head it off by attacking my credibility that was what she was going to do.

• chrissyb
    edited February 2011
    Options

Did you get the quilt finished on time Meece?

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

No, I didn't.  Just too much handwork, and needed breaks for fingertips to heal.  No matter what finger(s) I put the thimbles on, I poke the other ones.  Having family in for the funeral kinda put a kink in things as well.

The baby quilt is done except for binding though.

• chrissyb
    edited February 2011
    Options

Don't forget to post a pic of it when you have finished.  Can't wait!

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

I use a leather thimble, if you're still pricking your fingers, that means you're not using the right thimble and have to compensate with your other finger tips. If you know what I mean.....

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I use two leather thimbles, but my biggest issue is that they are wearing out and the needles go through.  My grandma wasn't strict enough with me to make me keep the thimble where it should be, ie under the needle, so sometimes when the thimble is on one finger, I put the next finger under the needle.

• chrissyb
    edited February 2011
    Options

I absolutely hate sewing with out my thimble!  I have had too many needles penetrate my fingertips when I was young.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

This old dog just has difficulty sticking to using the thimble right.  Pardon the pun.

• chrissyb
    edited February 2011
    Options

Pun is pardoned!....lol

I need a new project.  I've finished the Afghan I was crocheting and the weather is way too hot to handle wool so I need something smallish......anyone got any ideas and or suggestions?

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

Crewel work? Needlepoint? I love them both but they are harder to find these days. I saw a spectacular rug that was needlepointed flower squares that was to die for. But, it would have cost about $1,500 if I bought each kit......sigh.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

They sure try to hook you, don't they?

DS1 saw my Boston Commons quilt and "tried" to abscond with it.  I told him I could make him a quilt but he must choose the colors and send me color chips.  He might just do that.  Must finish a couple other projects first.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

I like to use leather thimbles too.  Always have an extra one on hand when the needle gets through the one  am using.  For the underside, I use these little stick on pads that work great.  They can be used several times before I have to use a new one.  Barbe may know what I am talking about.

Meece - Still handquilting on the 5 yard quilt.  Still have a ways to go but will post the finished quilt. 

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

I do remember those stick-on finger tip pads. I used to order them for my store. Haven't seen them in years. I have to get to a quilt show!!!

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

barbe - I love those things.  i keep a good supply of them in my quilt stuff.  I buy them at Hobby Lobby.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I will have to keep my eye out for them.  When it gets too bad, I use masking tape.