Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited January 2011
    Options

Ivtwoqit - If you go to the top and click on help a list of things for this website will come up.  Go down to where is says "How do I add an image to my post?"  Click on that and print it out.  It gives you step by step instructions on how to add a picture.  That is how I learned.

Hope this helps.  I use Google Chrome and have no problems. 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited January 2011
    Options

If any of you ever want to follow an amazing woman's creativity through her blog, I would highly recommend Melody Johnson's Fibermania.

She is a world class instructor/designer/teacher..... but has attempted to back off the teaching circuit to get back to her own creativity. She is also a trained painter. She is an avid knitter as well, but I adore her blog and process.

Her's is the first blog I ever saw and I was transfixed.

Somehow I had forgotten to follow along and so I've just treated myself to a lovely soak in her colors and brilliant mind.

Here's the link: http://fibermania.blogspot.com/

If you have ever thought of dabbling in more of a quiltart-contemporary style, I noticed that she is going to have a month long Quilt-along-with-Melody for the mont of February.

Enjoy!!!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2011
    Options

I asked my son and he said the only way to get it is to post a clickable link to my album here. 

Quilt Album

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited January 2011
    Options

I wasn't able to see anything.  It said currently unavailable.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I have to tell you this, it shows how muddled my brain can be.  We went and cleared out our storage unit, and I am systematically orgainizng and pitching things.  I found a box with all the pieces cut for a "Hawaii Quilt".  I even had many pieces already sewn and ironed, and I totally forgot ever even starting it!!!

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - What is a Hawaii Quilt?  Do you have a picture you can post?  Never heard of it.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2011
    Options

My mom did a Hawaiian quilt wall hanging several years ago when my son was stationed in Hawaii. What I understand about Hawaiian Quilts is it is a circular repeat (like a snowflake) representing items found in Hawaii, done with 2 fabrics with needle turn applique. It can be done with one design covering the entire top or done with several individual blocks and each block is its own design. I have considered doing a Hawaiian quilt but haven't started it yet.

Sheila 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2011
    Options

Well, that took me a while but I've finally found the pic of the quilt I did for my niece's first birthday.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

How beautiful, Crissy. No wonder she cried!

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options
    chrissy - That is gorgeous - I love the colorful border.
  • Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

That's the plan, and here are some of the pieces I started.  I will need to go back and see just where I left off.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - That is way too cool!  You will have to share the pattern, please.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

Sure will.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meecie!!!!

I LOVE it!

Just like a kaleidoscope -- one of my favorite "things".

It looks like you are paper pieceing?

GO FOR IT!!

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I don't even remember if I was paper piecing or not, I din't think so but I found a lot of printed papers of the block, so I must have been planning it.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

Wow!  That pattern blows my mind!  That is way cool and so intricate!  Can't wait to see the finished product Meece.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

It's going to be awhile, but I am looking forward to completeing it, too.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I realized yesterday that I was short three blocks for the baby quilt I am making.  I get so set in assembly, that going back and starting blocks from square one (pardon the pun) isn'e easy.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

I finally finished my Afghan rug that I have been working on since the beginning of December.  Nothing fancy but I love the colors.  I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.  I know just how you feel Meece, I've done that a couple of times myself.  I actually hate having to go back to the begining when I'm heading for the finish line!....lol

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I was just getting the edging pieces ready to cut, and thought...this sure looks small!

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

It just depends on how big the cot is.......doesn't it?   Looking good though!

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

I love how Aussies call cribs, cots!  I used to frequent an Australian forum and I had to get used to different terms.

Typically a crib quilt is 34 x 54 or 32 x 52 .  My center section is 28.5 x 38 so far.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - That is very pretty - you must show it again when you have the binding on it.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece, I can't see the picture here at work, but consider doing a wide, or multiple border. That is so much faster and can be just as much impactful!

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece, I'm always double thinking when I post as I know a lot of the different terms but forgot that one...lol...sorry.  On the basis of the measurements above....well yes...I agree...you are a little short!  I hope you haven't cut your side pieces as they will be too short as well.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

It looks better in person.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

The border is a 3.5" inner border and a 2.0" outer.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - That is beautiful.  Everything looks better in person.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011
    Options

Are those little mice in the squares??  Too sweet! So DID you add an extra border? hehehehe

• chrissyb
    edited January 2011
    Options

Ooooo Meece, that looks beautiful!  I'm a green girl so I just love your colors!!  Who ever the little person is that is going to recieve the quilt is very lucky!!