Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bonfire of the Goddesses

Options

Comments

• spendygirl
    spendygirl Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2011
    Options

May I???  All those beautiful, lacy, sexy bras that I used to wear.  Aquaphor - why do they push that stuff on us anyway?  It's awful!  And people who've never had cancer who say "oh, you're lucky.  You didn't have chemo, ONLY had radiation".  I know I'm lucky but I don't want to hear it from someone who thinks they know what they're talking about.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited January 2011
    Options

spendygirl - Come back as often as you like.

Speaking of people who have never had cancer and say stupid things.  I want to throw in all the people who asked me if I lost all my hair knowing I did not have chemo.  I used to respond with - "I did not know my hair was lost - guess I need to go find it" - I would say that as I was fluffing my full head of hair. 

• spendygirl
    spendygirl Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2011
    Options

Thank you!  I will be back soon I'm sure!  Great thread, I love it. 

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011
    Options

And here is the person who knows I trying to quit smoking but persists, even after having my best friend explain the facts of life to him quite forcefully, in atributing my radiation and tamoxifen induced fatigue to smoking.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited January 2011
    Options

I am tossing in half used bottles of miscellaneous meds leftover from all the surgeries and chemos. I am sick of pill bottles toppling around in my cabinets...I never used more than a few pills, they all seemed to make me worse.

This next one is slightly 2 steps to the left...but wow, the thought of casting her off makes me feel much better....I have an ex-friend that needs a good tanning. We had been good friends, I thought. She called me at the height of radiation when my skin was literally falling off (and I was gobbling whatever was in any handy pill bottle) and proceeded to tell me about how terrible my 10 year old daughter was...that she had seen her wearing make-up to school....saying bad words...etc. All of which was fabricated by HER 10 year old. I dont want to throw her 10 year old in....I think its the mom that should have been a little more on top of things. Its amazing as I look back through this past year at how superficial some of my relationships have been. She recently sent an email "Luv ya honey!" Blech.

This experience teaches you who your real friends are...which has been wonderful. (I would have preferred hearing about it in a hallmark card to the cancer experience, but I will look for the silver lining wherever)

I am also tossing in the pink wristbands my friends and family have been wearing. We replaced them with yellow "LIVESTRONG" ones. (If I already tossed these in and can't remember...then please ask me to toss in my chemo brain too, LOL!"

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

The fire is starting to go down a bit - it needs so fuel - so here goes.

All the people who want to treat me like an invalid. That is so pathetic.  

Also, came across the tubes of Topicort I used for rads and  the Promethazine I was given to stop the nausea while on Arimidex.

The person who just gave me a whole box of pink ribbon stuff - and the contents of the box.  I do have a few pink ribbon items but I don't need a small store. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011
    Options

My sister who said I didn't have the "bad" cancer because I didn't (didn't qualify!) have chemo or rads! And she was a nurse! We haven't spoken since. She's mad at ME for gettting upset! She's 54...only a year older than me and never took my cancer seriously. Seriously.

There! That'll burn for a while, she's a chubby one!

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

barbe - I know you are going to miss her - LOL

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited February 2011
    Options

I want to throw my behind in the fire.

Because according my family and friends they always say Cancer is behind you now.

Wink

(((jo)))

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Sheila - Guess I will throw mine in too.  That is a great saying.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    edited February 2011
    Options

Here is the girl I told in confidence I though on the day I found out.  The next day at work everyone knew!  She does work there any more by the way. 

Here's velcro tube tops from my surgeries, there's 4 of them.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2011
    Options

Geewhiz....I have a friend to toss in too....a friend? an acquaintance..not sure really but someone who saps my energy..had not heard form her since just before I started radiation...had disappointed me a number of times this fall but I had sucked it up as she is going through a hard time....she left a message on my answering machine saying " Now I know why you didn't want to talk last year..you just wanted to do things...I couldn't understand...I understand now"...responded with an email saying "no worries. I had no expectations...be well"...but you know? I don't ever want to hear form her again...she saps my energy ...even her apology sounded like a whine...so...in she goes..hoping I can stick tomy promise to myself not to respond to phone messages from her.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2011
    Options

I love this thread.  I will throw in a acquantance also that zaps my energy.  She came to see me the day after surgery and brought me this awful platter things she had painted.  She whirled in and ask me how I was feeling and before I could even tell her she started telling me all about her horrible marriage.  For the next two hours that is all I listened.  I could not get her to leave and I was in pain.  Finally my DH came home and saw what was going on and got her to leave. Have not heard from her since. So in the fire she goes.

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011
    Options

SherryC....sounds like exactly where she belongs....why oh why are some people so oblivious!?

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011
    Options

Here's the ignorant person who called in a complaint to the health Department about our senior center kitchen and specifically about me.  Along with many bogus complaints about kitchen conditions she stated I was very sick and continued to work there, risking infection for anyone eating there.  And yes, she knew I was being treated for cancer. 

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Chabba...did she think you were chopping veggies with your boobs?  That the food would be radiated by your mere presence.????Toss her in! ..

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited February 2011
    Options

chabba...you were actually risking your own health for being in a closed area with people.

What now they started to think we are contagious or something.

Peace.

• changes
    changes Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2011
    Options

I want to throw in all the scary thoughts that come with every ache, pain, or twinge, and the particularly dark thoughts that come in the middle of the night.

Karen

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Nancy - Found one

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2011
    Options

nancy, you are hilarious. i love this thread!!

let's see: my wig, definitely. actually, it's already been a bit singed: making pizzas for my daughter's 12th birthday party last year, whoops! opened the oven and fried hair to the tune of giggly 6th graders. and my wig comb, awful metal thing.

every single damned book about "sassy girl with cancer beats it with style", and of course the "pink ribbon" jewelry. in fact, every single thing i ever owned or was given that had the cursed pink ribbon.

my EMLA cream, my turbans, my post-surgical bras....this list could be endless, really!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited February 2011
    Options
    sandee the name i've read for ple like that are "emotional vampires.." i have a few.. they will burn in a good fire..vampires, i mean lol
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011
    Options

I went to an Avon business meeting last night (I just joined, hoping to make more money!) and was given the Avon breast cancer bear for being new. I took it to my seat and put it on the empty chair beside me. Through the meeting looked at it a number of times, and realized they didn't know I had breast cancer! It was a prize! A good thing! So....I tore a hole in the bag by it's head so it could breathe. My bear's not going in!

• crusader1
    crusader1 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi,

I so love reading this thread. It is do great that we can now laugh at things which we took so seriously a while ago..my precious wig, my red hat, my meds, my  fake boobs,

Oh yes yesterday I threw out the red bag given to me at the Feel Good, Look Good, thing..I should have thrown it in the fire here.

I too would throw in my fears which always reappear when I go to the doctor.

Chala..how can some women can be so stupid...You should have reported her for ignorance.

Hugs,

Francine

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited February 2011
    Options

I haven't anything to throw on the fire, but do any of you think if I got close to those burning embers they would soothe my frozen shoulder from my breast cancer surgery?   I'm tired of the ice to comfort the pain.....

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

voraciousreader - Just don't get too close

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Thanks, Jo1955 -- I'll try not to get thisclose.  Maybe my sisters can sling a rope around me, just in case!Kiss
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited February 2011
    Options

I wanna throw in the outragous insurance costs that I have to pay!!!!!  Its a huge joke!!!!!  My insurance is trying to suck the life right outa me, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited February 2011
    Options

Wish there were a "like" button.  love so many of the things you guys have said.  I would like to throw in the word "Doable".  Many many well meaning people said that to me through chemo but for some reason I hated the word!! Damn, that felt good! xo

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    edited February 2011
    Options

Ahhh Barbe-what a nice thing-the simple realization that you were in a group who didn't define you by your diagnosis!  I'm glad the bear's not going in!

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

voraciousreader - Are you warm yet?  I am getting the rope just in case.  It is so cold for deep South Texas, I think I will join you.  Maybe we can find someone to hold the rope for us.  Any volunteers?