Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• neetah74
    neetah74 Member Posts: 10

Are you on any type of restrictions with a port in?  Like no lifting over 20lbs or is it go on as you normally would?

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

As far as I recall, I was never given any sort of restrictions on anything.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

neetah:  I was never told of any restrictions except for the few 10 days after it was put in. 

Nora:  I too am glad to have the port especially when I'm having infusion and someone comes in without one and the nurses are poking trying to find veins....it is really creepy when you think about the port though and there can be problems with it.  Today the new onc looked at my chest and commented that the veins in my chest on the port side are much more pronounced than the other side and that can mean a clot.....hubby was with me today and he said it always looks like that but now I'm no so sure especially since the port arm has been hurting for a week or so and I too noticed the veins.  I think I'll call her back tomorrow and talk about it further. 

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    kale chips   ok Arlene let's see if this worksTongue out
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

bucky - I clicked and no go

• bucky317

Kale chips  lets try this againSmile

• bucky317

Darn it!!!  Ok I think I have been a stay at home mom to long!!!!! I can't get this web site to paste for me.

The website is called smittenkitchen baked kale chips.  I added a little grated parmesan too.

A friend of mine told me her mom tried Arimidex for over a year and couldn't tolerate it. (incredible joint pains) Her MO put her on Tamoxifen. She is tolerating it alot better.  She is way past menopause (late 60's) My MO also told me the Aromatase Inhibitors are a little better also.

• bucky317

Yes!!!  I did it!!!   watch out now!!! I'm going to be sending all sorts of attachments!!!  Now I have to go to the Hair Hair Hair thread and send some updated pics.

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

I'm going to try that, looks good!

• omaz

I washed the kale, turned on the oven, now how did you get the olive oil all over the kale?

• omaz

+I put it in a big bowl and shook it - cooking now.

• bucky317

omaz--I put the kale in a large mixing bowl and drizzled olive oil over it, sprinkled Kosher salt and grated parmesan cheese and mixed it all together. Then I layed it out on a cookie sheet and baked it and checked it after 20 minutes. I don't like it completely dried out, but I do like it crunchyHope it turns out for you!

• omaz

Yummm!!!  Thanks!

• bucky317

Glad you liked!!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Tamoxifen has been around a lot longer than the AIs. At one time everyone got Tamoxifen. The reason post menopausal women typically get AIs prescribed might be because the have been proven to work just a little bit better than Tamoxifen but I think it's also the some of the SE of Tamoxifen can be serious. At least if the AIs are ruining your bones it's a gradual process and they can switch your to Tamoxifen or add drugs like Zometa to counter it.

• omaz
    lago - did your onc say anything about the choice of AI?  I'm asking because I am going in next week and hoping it's time for me to switch to the AI.  I think the onc said femara but I remember that you are on arimidex.
  • YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    omaz, my onco told me at the very beginning that i would be doing arimidex.  period.  of course, i'm post-menopausal, so i guess that's why.
  • lago
    She said Anastrozole (generic Arimidex) from the start. It just went generic then. I think Femera went generic after that. I never asked why one over the other but all I know is I'm a little stiff but not to bad. I can live with this. She did mention that Anastrozole had less serious SE than Tamoxifen and because of  my age etc. my periods would not be coming back… but would test me to be sure. Lets just say the Anastrozole is working and sucking out my estrogen Tongue out
  • arlenea

Thanks Bucky.  Got a bunch of fresh Kale in the fridge and I'll be making the chips!  I need the Kale for this eye thing going on.  Can't wait to see the pics now that you have it mastered.  I know how to post links but still can't figure out the pictures.

• omaz
    Arlene - I think you have to load the photos up to a website like photobucket and then copy the link, click on the picture icon in green next to the smiley face when you are typing in a post and paste the link in the box.
  • arlenea

Thanks Omaz.  I have a photobucket acct so will give it a try tomorrow. 

• Awnooo
    Awnooo Member Posts: 56

Ladies, I found out that I will not have to do radiation because I am getting a bilateral mastectomy, is that correct? I would feel better if I did radiation I guess I dont understand it very well.... has any of you had radiation and then a mastectomy?

• lago

I was in a gray area for rads but my rad onc gave me a pass since I had such aggressive treatment. My margins were clear but close. I also had clear nodes. I have no regrets. You don't want to over treat  either. All this treatment has it's own SE.

EDIT:
    I was posting from my iphone this morning. No over grazing either though

• Awnooo
    Awnooo Member Posts: 56

umm i need to refer back to my initial report, i dont know what my margins are,,, arrgh

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Awnooo - I had BMX, was node positive, had complete AND, no rads.  I asked the MO twice and the BS twice, they both said not necessary.  Hope they were right!  My margins were good.  Rads carries with it complications for recon and other issues as well.  Something definitely to have if necessary, but not necessarily problem free.

• nora_az

I tried the kale that way over the Summer. My sister in law had it in her fridge. I was wondering why she had "garnish" in her fridge and asked her what it was for. She made it the way you all are talking about and it was quite good. She put hers in a plastic bag though and sort of shook the oil and salt onto it before putting it in the oven.

• nora_az

I have no idea on my margins either. I am just trying to stay positive and have faith in my Oncologist that he knows what he is doing. I know that sounds so silly. I have always been the one to research the heck out of everything. This is one thing that the more I dig the more depressed I get so I just quit digging. Hence....why you all see my absence on occasion and then I'll just pop in out of the blue.

I do know I had one positive node and there was a tumor in the lymph node channel. I think that worries me more than anything. I dont know if that's normal or if it means there's a higher chance it spread out to other places since there was a tumor in the chanel. (very small mind you)

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

The object of radiation is to eradicate any cancer cells left behind after surgery. If you have a mastectomy, usually you don't get rads because there is practically no chance of any cancer cells being left behind. The exception is sometimes when nodes are involved or when they can't get clear enough margins, usually because of being close to chest wall. I agree with Lago, if you don't need them, you don't want to get them, but see if your onc and bs agree with the RO to make you feel comfortable.

• arlenea

Margins are about the only thing I'm real positive about - mine are clear.  I'm with you Nora in that I almost quit researching because the further you go, the more depressing it gets. 

BTW, I saw the gastro doc today and I'm not due for my colonoscopy until May of next year and I thought he might want to do it early but he says there is absolutely no reason to do it before my 10 years and he says there is NO link between BC and colon cancer - that has been totally debunked.  :)  whew!  That is good as after all the bc stuff this year I wasn't quite ready for the colon test.