Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Spwcialk-Guy Fieri makes bumped up brussels. Recipe is on foodnetwork.com. They are delicious and turned me into a brussel sprouts lover!

• melster
    melster Member Posts: 46

Hi! Has anyone here heard of having neo Taxol +H x 12 and then FEC x 4 + H. That is the regime I'm on. Tuesday with be Taxol #9. I had a sono after Taxol 5 and my tumor was more than 50% smaller.

Anyway, I'm in Texas and my ONC gave me options but said this was the MD Anderson protocol and she felt it was best.

I'm just nervous as I see virtually no one on these boards doing this with Herceptin.

Also, my nodes are considered clear but I did have isolated tumor cells. Freaked about that too. Radiation s no on the table, but I'm having the double mastectomy after chemo as I'm 34 and being agressive.

Thoughts?

(IDC, 3cm, stage IIa, o/4 nodes, er+,pr+, her2+)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Melster MD Anderson is the # 1 rated cancer treatment center in the US. There are so many things to consider when getting treatment. Your young age I'm sure is playing a big part in this. I think I would be pretty comfortable with an MD Anderson protocal. linky

Note that link had MD Anderson with a "Much better than average" survival rate

• melster
    melster Member Posts: 46

Thank you Lago. You made me feel better. It's hard not to compare. My Onc gave me this mantra: different cancers, different ages, different people, different treatment. But I just want to make sure I'm not the only one, you know?

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Lago:  Glad to hear that about MD Anderson.  We have one in Orlando (an hour from me) and I've considered switching to them because I've always heard great things about MD and what I really like is that they try to do things as naturally as possible.

Good luck Melster.  Lago always has such good information!  Come here often!

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Nora_az  You are scaring the crap outta me...getting my port out on tues morning in the Drs office.  and the doc doesnt even do it his assist does!  YIKES   they say I can come alone, wont need a driver, and I can do anything I want afterwards...hmmm Vegas comes to mind.  I am a nurse and one of the biggest babies out there...do not like being on the other side of the needle.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

I'm sorry I scared you, Carrie!  It wasn't my intent. Did you ask if you could take anything?

There were a few restrictions for me afterwards. I couldn't take a shower the next day. (I did anyway) He gave me some transderm patches and told me to put gauze over the incision and the transderm patch over the top which made it waterproof for showering. Told me to take off the original dressing 24 hours after the procedure, let it open to the air all the time except for when I shower. I cant get the site wet for 10 days.  Also, no heavy lifting for a week.

Return and report....I hope it goes well for you.  Smile    Oh and happy deportment day!!!  You will feel sooooooooo free once that stupid thing is out of there! I kept turning my neck all day long because I couldnt feel anything when I was doing that. For the year it was in I could feel the tube whenever I turned my neck and it was a creepy feeling. I kept saying "I'M FREEEEEE" when I was turning my head. 

• carberry

Nora_az  I didnt ask, but i think I may use the emla cream before.  I am just letting my anxiety get the best of me...I am sure it will work out fine.  Do you have to go back to have the stitches removed or do they dissolve?  My BS is an hour away and I like to minimize my trips, not to mention the co-pays.

My port hurts me when I sleep at night and also gives me pains in that shoulder once in awhile, anxious to get rid of it.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Good luck with the port removal Carrie. I am sure it will be fine. There was never a bigger baby than me when it comes to doctors and dentists. I didn't even like getting my blood pressure taken! But one good from BC for me, I am no longer afraid of blood draws and things. I am getting two caps at the dentist on Tuesday and I am not even apprehensive about it. ( maybe I will be on Tuesday though!)

• lago

carberry you got 25 nodes removed, boob(s) removed, reconstruction, radiation and you think port removal is going to hurt!? Hon you are going to do fine. You've been through the worst of it. This should be a piece of cake.

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475

Carrie,

You should not have a copay to have stitches removed.  It is included in the procedure and covered under the global period.

• nora_az

Good news for you Carrie....they are dissoluble stitches!  No need to go back (at least mine are) They use the same exact incision that was used to put the port in. I hurt some the day of the port removal, a bit more tender the day after.....by yesterday it feels a ton better. My port was starting to hurt on occasion too (seat belts, in bed etc) so when it was done and over with I was so happy!

Also the actual port removal when it happened. I did not feel a thing, he said, "You may feel a strange sensation" and told me to look to the side. I felt nothing. About 15 seconds later though I felt a bit of a light headed feeling, he said that's normal and it only lasted a few seconds.

• Kay_G

Sewingmut, funny you mention that, rads and seeing the ps are the only times I don't have a copayment. I guess like you say it is part of follow up for surgery. And it would just be too expensive to have to do a copayment every day for six weeks of rads.

• carberry

Thanks everyone, I know I will be fine, I just have anxiety!!  Never had it before all this. I even get anxious when driving somewhere different, thinking I will get lost.  What the heck?

• nora_az

Speaking of co-payments etc. I found out last month that my insurance changes A LOT starting January. There is no co-payment. There wont be a thing, no drugs, no doctor appointments, nothing until I pay the first $2500 then they will pay at 80%  I am so glad I am finished up before the end of the year. I asked my Oncologist if things go the way they should next year (and yes they will!!!) how many appointments, tests etc will I have next year. He told me I will have a visit and labs drawn in 3 months and then in 6 months from that. Does that sound on par with the average?

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Nora - Reading your post made me think that we have all been sailing around in our little boats in the harbor and going to classes on sailing and pretty soon we have to start our trans-Atlantic sail!!  Yikes, am I ready??  Well, at least leave the harbor!!Smile
  • lago
    Nora this is a high deductable insurance and what most (small) companies are going with these days. Mine changes too (my husbands). It's a 2K deductable for an individual and a 5K deducatable for family. What stinks is they don't have husband + Spouse deductable (should be 4K). We don't have kids so we get a little screwed. Hopefully I'll land a gig with  it's own benefits.
  • nora_az

Omaz.....Yes, and I jumped ship!!  ha ha

Lago.....It sucks doesnt it? I was told that there were 2 others besides me that really made the premiums go up because the treatment I was on. My husband is in the corporate side that's the only reason he knows. 

• Awnooo
    Awnooo Member Posts: 56

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving!

Question...

Is anyone here having treatment at Cancer Treatment Centers of America?

• lago

No but my husband interviewed there for a job years ago. He was very impressed.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Melster-i had taxol x12 weekly with herceptin, but not the FEC part. I was paranoid also as I didnt find too many with my protocol. I have started finding a lot more and it is big in europe. Has also been discussed at some cancer seminars.

Carrie-right there with you. I can handle any surgery, but stitch removal sends me into a tizzy. It always hurts!

And by the way.....why did I never hear of emla cream before this? BEST STUFF EVER! I am filling it as many times as I can so I have a supply.

My husband is cfo of a small company and oversees the benefit program. I know he was concerned that their rates would go up but it didnt nearly as much as he thought. I was relieved.

• carberry

fluffqueen...I finally asked the pharmacist to give me a big tube so I didnt have to do so many refills while in treatment.  On the stitches thing,  I just dont want to drive an hour ea way just to get them out,  if I get the non-dissolving ones, I may just take them out myself, or have a Dr. friend do it.

I think the cancer centers of america are a great place for treatment.  My cousin uses the one in philly, he has a brain tumor.  i like the fact that everyone is in the same place and all the Drs. get together at one table to discuss your plan of care and treatment, so everyone is on the same page.  I found it frustrating having to tell my story over and over agian every time I moved on to a new doc for the next round of treatment.

• nora_az

We have a Cancer Treatment Center of America here in Phoenix as well. I was going to look into them but had the Mayo as an option as well. One thing I like about them is what Carrie was saying, I don't have to explain myself with each person treating me, they all work together. I really like that.

• nora_az

Good luck today Carrie, you will do great!  :)

• carberry

All done....it was a peice of cake.  thanks Nora.

• Kay_G

Contests Carrie, I am sure it feels good to get that out.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Yay carberry!!!
  • nora_az

So Carrie, I am more of a baby than you?  LOL     Most of my problem (and I didnt want to scare you with it or put it in your mind ahead of time) was that for whatever reason they couldnt get me numb enough. I kept feeling the cutting and then stitching. They would get me numb.....then it would wear off in just a few minutes.  (Which by the way I have the same problem at the dentist with Novacaine)

• nora_az

Oh and by the way...........CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Doesnt it feel great???  The first thing I did was notice how I could move my head without feeling that damn tube!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

HOORAY Carberry!  You must be so relieved.  You got to the end of the tunnel.