Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Kennylynne-i started tamoxifen about two weeks after my last taxol/herceptin combo. Initially, I had achy joints, hot flashes (although I had them bad on chemo too) And a calf cramp that I was convinced was a blood clot. Onc said no...I said what if he was wrong? Well, in the last couple of months everything but the hot flashes have gone away. I think I am going to have them for all five years!

When i get my port out, they better put me under. I am a big baby. I had a couple of stitches pop through my drain area that were supposed to have disolved, on each side. PS said come in and he would remove them. I was sure it would hurt, so slathered on the emla cream. He made fun of me. One side was ok, and the other stung like crazy!

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

Whenever I have surgery or have to go under, I literally write in sharpie on my arm in huge letters - "DO NOT USE".  Sounds crazy now that hear about special sleeves which can send the same message!!

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone - have the greatest day ever!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

That is great about the sleeves.  When I had my port put in, they didn't use a sleeve and I had a hard time convincing them to not use the surgery arm so hoping they never did once I was under.   It was a very small hospital though (small like in 22 bed).  Thanks everyone.

I have a question/concern that I'm sure everyone will know!  Has anyone noticed their hair falling out from the taxoximen/ariimdex?  The reason I ask is that babies lose their hair between 1-6 months and the reason is the drop in the hormone level so since these drugs are killing our hormones, wouldn't that happen with us?  I've only been on them for 2 months and haven't noticed it yet so just curious.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

When I had my abdominal wall repair from DIEP last May, the nurse took a red sharpie (since I was going to be in the hospital for 4 days) and wrote in caps from my wrist to my shoulder   NO IV NO BLOOD NO CUFF    I had to laugh but it did the trick. Just took a few days after I got home to not look like a little kid who had written all over myself. 

• missy_111
    missy_111 Member Posts: 97

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!  Continued good health to all of us!!!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Arlene some people do have some hair loss with the AIs. I hear it goes back to normal once you are off it.

I'm so excited. This year both stuffing and chocolate will taste good not bitter. Happy  Thanksgiving to all those celebrating

• arlenea

Thanks everyone!  Just got my husband out for a 4 mile walk - he won't usually go with me but I typically go a lot further.  I think he enjoyed it!

Enjoy being able to taste this year Lago! 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! 

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

Thanks Fluffqueen for the info good to know..... like to hear the good stories.

There is hair loss and thinning associated with tamoxifenFrown  Just had Herceptin #3 today! 15 more to go........... sigh

Happy Thanksgiving to my US ladies!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

ArleneA - Tamoxifen doesn't suppress estrogen, instead blocks it from the cells, so not sure about the thinning hair.  I have also heard that AI's can thin hair, but so can Herceptin.  I think I have read that some ladies have better growth once Herceptin is done.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  My turkey is in the oven, today I have made two kinds of stuffing - regular and chorizo/cornbread, an apple tart, a pumpkin pie, brussel sprouts with bacon and onion, and green beans almondine.  Yesterday I did the twice-baked sweet potatoes with maple syrup and pecans, the 3 layer Jello salad (from my DH's childhood Thanksgivings), and made dinner since my son came home - beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots.  Now I need to lay down before everyone else gets here.  Seriously.

• nora_az

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!   So much to be thankful for.  Herceptin being one of em! 

• Lady-di
    Lady-di Member Posts: 74

Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I posted but I do keep up with all your posts. Next week is my 4th tx of AC/T

Specialk... You have made me very hungry, I'm from Canada so no turkey for me today..but your dinner sound wonderful.

Happy thanksgiving to all of you!!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    specialK, if i'd know your menu, i might have hopped a plane to share it with you.  i'm just 11 days PFC, so maybe i shouldn't feel so ashamed that i couldn't come close to what you accomplished for thanksgiving and the night before.  i really admire you!
  • omaz
    SpecialK - I melted some semi-sweet choc chips and dipped the prunes in there and put them in the fridge to harden.  Pretty darn tasty!!
  • YaYa5
    omaz, you probably like brussel sprouts, too!  i noticed that specialK had them for thanksgiving. we probably couldn't hang out much what with the prunes and the brussel sprouts and weren't you talking about the kale, too?  ewwwww.  (hope you had a great thanksgiving!)
  • omaz
    yaya - By order of DH and DD I have to give up the brussel sprouts since they produce, well, noxious odors!
  • YaYa5
    omaz, haha!!
  • specialk

dia123 - come on down to Florida and I will feed you some turkey!  My Mom was from Windsor, right across from Detroit.  Don't know where you are in Ontario, lots of family in Toronto too.

• specialk

yaya - last Thanksgiving my son had to work so didn't come home.  I was about 3 1/2 weeks after BMX, had just found out I had positive nodes.  Thanksgiving was pretty sad, just DH and DD and me.  I still did a little turkey, but everyone had to lift everything for me.  I was really busy yesterday and today but it sure felt more normal!  I was really tired last night, everything ached, I had a hard time sleeping because I couldn't find a cmfortable position for longer than 15 minutes.  Even with all that I was strangely happy - I have been through so much in the last year, all of us have, and yet here we are, forging ahead!  It is awesome, isn't it?  And we are helping each other do it.

• specialk

omaz - How were the chocolate prunes, super delicious?  I have to try it too!  It cracks me up that you made them!  I have no idea why I have to have brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving - it is a tradition whose origin I can't quite pinpoint....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Just a quick check- in from this really nice bread & breakfast in Union Pier MI... We had brussel sprouts yesterday and they were yummy. We usually spend Thanksgiving with my family but my sister & I haven't spoken since 1 week post bmx. This year we were with my husband's side of the family.

• nora_az

Oh sounds lovely, lago!

I love brussel sprouts but we didn't have any this year. We had a very unusual Thanksgiving. We are here in Arizona and all of our family is in Washington State. We were invited to spend Thanksgiving with a group of friends that are all like family to us, 4 families in all with kids so it was a lot of fun.

The twist to it.....the kids are all 100% Americans. The adults on the other hand, out of 8 of us, 5 are England ex-pats. Most have only been here for around 12 years so they really don't get into Thanksgiving like the rest of us but have over time learned to like it. I was in charge of pies, I just found out the other day that none of the Brits like cinnamon overkill in their pies like us Americans (learn something new everyday!) So it went against every fiber of my body to make a special apple pie just for them. No cinnamon or cloves in my apple pie, Dang the thing look bland!

I made a good one for us Americans who appreciate non-bland pies.

• arlenea

Yummy SpecialK:  I never think to make brussel sprouts and I love um.  What a meal.  I don't cook at Thanksgiving since we go to friends who make a huge spread and they send us home with tons of food...enough for a weeks worth of meals.  Everyone just brings something so I made an artichoke, spinach, mushroom casserole. 

Thanks ladies for the feedback on the hair and arimidex, etc.

Anyone go black Friday shopping?  NOT ME!

• nora_az

I'm not going out shopping either. I was looking stuff up online to possibly get for Christmas gifts. My throat is sore. I dont know if it's SE's of Herceptin or what. I have been struggling with a sore throat (off and on) for about 2 months now. No cold symptoms, just very tired and a sore throat. I went to my PCP for it when it first happened last September. He gave me antibiotics for it. He said he thought it was tonsillitis but never cultured it, it came back and he called in another prescription 4 weeks ago. It's now coming back again. arrrggh!

I am on anastrozole, Arlene. I am 48 and my periods were always regular before BC. Chemo put me in menopause, blood tests showed I will likely stay there. I am a bit sceptical on that one but have been instructed to call my onc right away if I were to ever restart or even spot.

• specialk

ArleneA - your cassarole sounds yummy!  I am still full from last night!

• Lady-di
    Lady-di Member Posts: 74

Specialk.. I'm right in-between Niagara Falls and Toronto. Its about an hour to both. Have a BIL with lots of family in Windsor but have never made it that way myself.

• omaz
    SpecialK - the prunes were good.  I think I need to figure out a different chocolate covering, I just used melted choc chips.  I don't make candy or anything so I don't know much about it.  I get awful gas from brussel sprouts.  I love to eat them but really it's just too much for my family.
  • specialk

dia123 - Windsor was not very exciting - but I was there in the winter and coming from California I froze!!!  I guess the big claim to fame is that it is in Canada but south of Detroit!

omaz - when I make chocolate dipped strawberries I just microwave chocolate chips, either semi-sweet or milk chocolate, in the microwave with just about 1/2-1 teaspoon of vegetable oil.  IOt works great - did they taste good?  If so, just keep doing it that way!  Funny on the brussel sprouts - maybe that is why they are not too popular!  A lady in the store was telling me that her son makes them with a reduced balsamic vinegar glaze, sounded yummy!