Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Yay, some good news - no linkg between BC and colon cancer.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Omaz:  We'll take any good news we can get.  But, of course, he did mention the ovarian link.  :(  My onc says it is something I don't have to worry about and I'm think because I'm older and already through menopause.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Thank goodness there is some upside to being older!  I was waiting for one!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Arlene I had my 1st colonoscopy this spring. My gastroeninologist said I don't have to do it again for another 10 years. I hope in 10 years they can improve that toxic waste crap we have to drink. (BTW my maternal grandmother died of colon cancer).

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154

My margins were clear as well.  My RO insisted on RADS even though I was going to have a BLM.  Probably because one node had macromets, and he insisted on radiating the supraclaviclar area for extra insurance.  There was no evidence of vascualar invasion, so that was some good news, if you can all it that!  Funny how alot of us seem to start tamox at different times.  I started tamox the same day as I started RADS.

• arlenea

Lago:  10 years is the best...means everything was clear!

SpecialK;  Too funny! 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I am on the every 5 year colonoscopy plan. My dad died from a rare duodenal tumor, whcih a colonoscopy cant see, and my mom had stage 1 colon cancer, resected, and no follow up treatment and is still fine at 84. I'll let you all know if they improve the prep!

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

I just had my colonoscopy last week. My 5 years was up next month and I am out of pocket so I figured I might as well get it out of the way. I am one of those with a strong family history of colon cancer so I need it done every 5 years.

Today is "bye bye" to my port. I am soooo nervous. Just local to the area and they pull it out?  ewww sounds a bit barbaric to me!

• omaz
    nora - My surgeon does it at the hospital and I had the versed (sleepy time) and was out while he directly removed it then they woke me up, but relaxed, while he patched me up.  Much easier than when it went in.  Are you at the hospital or office?  His partner does it at the office but he said he worries and feels more comfortable at the hospital.
  • saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

My surgeon does it like omaz's.  She does it in the hospital - same surgical area where I had it placed.  I think I had a bit more than versed though - there was def anesthesia after the versed.  When I woke up I had a small gauze bandage and a few stitches and I felt fine.  And I think the stitches were all the dissolving kind and I didn't have to go back.

• lago

I know when my port surgeon put mine in he used surgical glue that eventually disolved… but it took forever. I rarely think about my port anymore except if I go on an interview. Need to make sure it's covered up. My will be coming out  October 2013.

• specialk

I was at the PS yesterday for a double fill and we had a chat about the port.  I know some MO's like the post to stay in for triple pos people but he said it should come out.  He said the risk involved in leaving it is greater than the risk in placing a new one should I need it.  He particularly cited the blood clot and embolism risk, and there is already clot risk with tamox or an AI so now I am feeling it should come out when I am done with Herceptin.  Another topic for my list for next month's MO visit!

• nora_az

I was told by the vascular PA that it's done in the office, some sort of minor surgery sort of room. Injections to numb the area and I will feel a bit of tugging and then it will be out. They said the worse part is just the injections. He asked me if I still had my emblacream (I think that's how it's spelled) I told him I did so he told me to lather up the area real well and I wouldnt feel a thing at all.

• nora_az

SpecialK....that is what my oncologist stated too. I was more than happy to get rid of it ASAP but he was the one who said, get it out when youre treatments are done, if it's not needed its just a risk for clots and embolism.

When I had asked when I could have it removed I was sort of taking a deep breath, I felt if he thought there was a remote chance of it coming back anytime soon he'd tell me to wait for a bit. I know there are no guarantees but him telling me to get it out just made me feel so much better.

• omaz
    saralmom - Yeah, I probably had something stronger after the versed.  I just remember the versed part!  Always feels like I drank a 6-pack of beer in 30 seconds flat!
  • specialk

I enjoy the Versed.  Also the twilight sleep, like for colonoscopies.  My husband likes it so much I think he would volunteer for another one!  He spent such a long time on active military duty flying status and could never anything narcotic, the few times he has had a medical procedure with them he goes on and on about how great they are!  It is hilarious!

• omaz
    Let us know how it goes Nora!
  • nora_az

I enjoy versed too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I'm a bit miffed I have to go the barbaric route! 

• nora_az

I remember the first time I had versed. I was in my mid 20's. The nurse cracked up when I laid there in my hospital bed and claimed, "Wow, now I know why people pay to feel this way" 

• nora_az

Return and report you say?  Hmmm I'd say, take the versed, take anythin you can. I dont see why this was a novacaine sort of appointment. That's about all I will say I dont want to scare anyone.

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    Thanks Nora, I will get the twilight drug thank you very much!!! I asked my BS when he put my port in if it is taken out the same way (being" under" that is) and he told me I could have a local if I wanted or get the happy stuff.  Thanks for your honestyLaughing
  • omaz
    Ah man Nora!!!
  • saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

Yep, versed is a good thing.

Nora - sorry you had a hard time. 

• nora_az

If it is done with some sort of "something" other than Novocaine it's totally do-able and would be sooooo much easier.

I like everyone here have been through a hell of a lot of tests, scans, sentinel node injection stuff (I'm not counting surgery).....this for me was probably the hardest.   BUT there is good news......I am DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Doing my happy dance!

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178

Congrats Nora!!!  I am only 5 1/2 months behind you!  I still remember the sentinel node biopsy, don't think I will ever forget it.  I was wondering why I had a nice "strong" young gentleman to hold my hand during this procedure. I think I almost crushed his hand !!!  Lol

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

YAY!!!!!! Way to go Nora... so happy for you!!!!!!

Was wondering how everyone is doing on Tamoxifen????? Got script yesterday for it but am waiting to start until Sunday, just finished taxol last week and wanted to feel better before starting. Thought I wouldn't be starting it until after rads but onc said now would be a good time. Must admit I am really nervous about it. Thanks ladies for your input.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Regarding the radiation to nodes..

if a woman's cancer has high-risk features, such as a tumor larger than 5 cm or more than 3 positive axillary nodes, she often also receives radiation to the internal mammary, supraclavicular, and axillary lymph nodes; this is the course of treatment recommended in the ASCO guidelines as of the time of most of our treatment.

However, just this year a new study came out and the standard of care is changing, in fact HAS changed in a lot of places.

Now, women with breast cancer and as few as 1 to 3 positive nodes should be offered radiation treatment to their regional lymph nodes, in addition to standard whole-breast radiation (WBI), according to a study presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO®) 2011 Annual Meeting.

Radiation to the axilla with tumors larger than 5cm and/or 1 or more positive lymphs improves recurrence rates by 33%!!!

Just how much treatment a patient with 1 to 3 positive nodes needs is a complex calculation, according to Dr. Anderson. "Clinicians need to weigh the toxicity of regional nodal radiation against the toxicity of further axillary dissection, along with the clinical and pathologic factors for each individual patient."

The study was done on lumpectomies because they already receive rads, but can be extrapolated/generalized to mastectomies as well according to Dr. Whelan who headed up the MA.20 trial.

My cousin (just diagnosed in Sept and doing TCH right now) has already met with her RO.  She didn't have any positive lymphs, but she said all the women she talks with there that have 1 or more are getting rads now as standard care. 

So we can expect to start seeing more and more women on this board who have had MX and radiation because of a single (or more) positive lymph node.  

http://www.ecancermedicalscience.com/news-insider-news.asp?itemId=1791

Maybe some day soon we'll read a trial about a cure!!

• arlenea

Wow!  I'm rethinking my choice to have the port removed (not until May though) with just numbing the area versus going under.  I HATE going under and at this point worry that they'll use the arm they aren't supposed to for bp, etc.  Thanks Nora for letting us know.  I figured if I could survive the barbaric prep for the SNB, I could deal with this no problem.  Lets rethink this one.

TonLee:  Great information as usual!  We all hope to hear one day that there is a cure.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• omaz
    Arlene - When I got the port removed at the hospital they put a special band on the non-IV/BP arm and let me keep my sleeve on during the port removal.
  • lago

I too get those pink sleeves to wear on both my arms when I go to hospital. I make them do the BP and IV in my ankle/foot. I had nodes removed from both sides.