TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234

Thanks for all the input thus far - today I am just feeling very fuzzy headed and out of it and just down - may be more of a mental thing than an actual physical response?  Here's another question - I got Nuelasta after each A/C and was told I would not get them for Taxotere.  Are my counts just not expected to go down as much; input?  Thanks again.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,250

kltb - I got Nuelasta for all 6 TCH, but my MO prescribes it from the get-go.  If you experience a drop on Taxotere they can always add Neulasta back in.

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

With my Taxol/Herceptin my white cell count never fell, so maybe it's the same for Taxotere...

I never had neulasta for FEC either because here in Australia they don't use it unless they have to ie: if your levels fall too low THEN they use it.

Jenn

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

I didn't get Neulasta the first tx, ended up in the hospital for FIVE DAYS osteopenic...lol, neutropenic whatever it was called!  The longest 5 days of my life.  SO BORING.

After that I just took the shot home with me and gave it to myself in the stomach the day after chemo. 

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782

I was automatically given the Neulasta shots.  that's just the way it was.  It a good thing, because when my counts were so low, I had to postpone by 5th chemo by a week.  If it was bad with Neulasta, I can image what it would have been like without it.

• moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212

I was also given Neulasta automatically, but ended up with grade 4 neutropenia every time (WBC counts of 0) and in the hospital. Chemo also caused anemia that has lasted to this day, but is now improving. Glad to hear that I am an anomaly and not the norm. Wouldn't wish my experience on anyone!

• kltb04

Ok, starting to get really worried about this - they don't even want to do labs until next TX!  I think I am going to call tomorrow and insist on labs for this go round at least. During my A/C I had labs one week and two week post TX and then again the day of the next TX.

Nuelasta was automatic with me for A/C as well.  My counts never went that low (they were below "normal" but not extremely) since I was on it - I could always count on a good week the third week of TX.  In fact, we just got back from a week long vacation.  And I really want to be able to plan another trip before school starts.

Sorry, my posts aren't always so down :(  I am just visualizing a summer of house arrest with two kids with nothing to do...

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

kltb04 I did not get labs on my first TX but got them before the other 5. No labs for only herceptin.

I had chemo on Tuesday. I never had "bad" days but usually Wednesday I was fine. Things started to kick in on Wednesday a little. By Saturday the Big C (constipation) was gone. Heartburn would have been consistent if not for the meds. Once off steroids I had fluid retention till I took them again for the next infusion. I could go on but really the first 3 TX weren't too bad once the we figure out the proper treatment for the Big C and heartburn.After that the SE I did have were a bit more intense, lasted longer or a few new ones (taxoteres, eye twitching. My nail issues didn't start till tx 3

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

How soon after completing chemo did everyone start taking tamoxifen?

• Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

I"ve been told I will start Tamo 4 weeks after my last TX next week.

• moni731

kltb04- A/C generally causes the low counts, but usually they will run the lab before your infusion for baseline. You will figure out what days you feel well and how long after infusions that you do not want to do much. This should help you schedule something with the kids. Sometimes having a diversion helps also! Pace yourself.

• lago

I started my ESD 1 month after chemo but I didn't do rads. My onc has her patients on rads start after rads ends. I get the feeling she doesn't like her patients to experience too many SE at once and wants to be sure what the SE is from.

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303

I started Tamoxifen about 6 weeks PFC

• Fitz33
    Fitz33 Member Posts: 123

kitb04:  I got labs before every chemo and before every 3 wks of Herceptin.

I didn't do well on chemo at all even with a 2-month break between treatments 4 and 6.  I live in fear of a reocurrence because I don't know what they could treat me with ... I've had Tykerb, Herceptin, Taxotere and Carboplatin. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,250
    I got labs weekly while on chemo, now I get them quarterly - including CA 27/29, CBC, CMP, vitamin D, and CEA.  My MO has the same philosophy as lago's as far as when to start Tamoxifen/aromatase inhibitor.  I did not do rads and started Femara about 6 weeks after chemo ended - I was slightly delayed by a surgery to put my left expander back in - it had been out during chemo, and because of the clot risk we waited until after that surgery.
  • arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

I didn't start my Arimidex until I was finished with RADS.

I get blood work and thorough breast/node exam every 3 months.  SpecialK, I need to check because I don't remember the CEA and CMP on my labs.  Need to ask when I go again in July.  I am getting another Dexa before 2 years and insurance has approved it too.  My onco does the CTC blood test but some here don't believe it is accurate but I'm guessing that since I have a baseline, it is a good indicator but I really have no idea.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Msbelle, I had my last chemo 2/1/12 & started tamoxifen 2/12. My MO gave me the script at last chemo and said to start it asap.

Kltb04, I got labs before every AC and every weekly taxol. Now I just get herceptin every 3 weeks and only get labs every 4th time.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

My onc said to wait till after I switch to triweekly herceptin before he will prescribe my estrogen sucker. Also, I get labs weekly with each infusion, including the wekly herceptin. I have one more weekly, then go to the triweekly after that. I get a CBC, CMP, each time. If anything is off, he orders things like an iron panel or whatever. I am usually low on magnesium and have to have a bag Hung every week, even though I take six of those pills a day! Tell me ladies, ARE WE HAVING FUN YET!!!! LOL MUCH LOVE.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Interesting on the allergy comments. I jave aken sulfa based drugs a million times and suddenly, the last time I had it after my implants, I broke out in hives.

And to add to that...it was tattoo Tuesday this week for me. Now, the tats look good, but my whole foob is itching like mad and slightly pink outside the outer tat edge. PS started me on a antibiotic, just in case, and an ointment. I just popped an antihistamine that will knock me out shortly.

On the Benadryl front, if you google interactions with tamoxifen, it is listed. I asked the pharmacist in my ons office and he said if you need to take it occasionally, it is probably no big deal, but not to take any of the advil or tylenol pm drugs every night.

When I started Herceptin only, the first time they gave a full dose of benadryl. Second time a half dose, and then nothing, since everything went ok. Herceptin wiped me out for a day or two. The 30 minute dose dense version also made me feel awful, so they lengthened it to 90, which helped, but I still felt crummy for a couple days after.

I think mine was mixed up each time, as I had to wait for him to get everything put together, but I can't say that for sure.

• moni731

SpecialK- when did you start the ca27.29 levels? How have the readings  gone? I will start this in Aug. I have read up on the results being false positive, I guess that is why so many onc's don't do them. Do you find at least some comfort in the readings or does it worry you? Thanks in advance.

• vjm
    vjm Member Posts: 12
    MsBelle - I finish my chemo tomorrow (already had 20 rads) and my onc wants me to start Tamoxifen in one month when I return from my holidays. vjm
  • vickilind61
    vickilind61 Member Posts: 143

Tomorrow is my first visit to the BigGirlChair.  Something to look forward to, right?  Bringing my laptop with me, so I will be visiting with you a bit. 

• NitNat
    NitNat Member Posts: 15

Hi Vickilin61, I hope your visit to the big girl chair goes ok tomorrow? You are not alone and I remember the feeling very well when I had to visit it. That was 3yrs ago.... Be sure to take some girly and funny DVDs with you (that certainly helped me to pass the time!) All the best I will be thinking of you!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239

Funny DVDs are an excellent suggestion! My husband and I would bring funny ones + headphones and would giggle and giggle while my infusion was going on.  We got some odd looks... Laughing  One of our favorites was the Canadian series Slings and Arrows.

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be in the BGC as well getting my Herceptin. I'll be sending you good thoughts from my chair to yours. 

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303

Vicki - good luck today on your first visit!  It'll be a long day, but you will do fine and I'll be sending some good thoughts your way, too.  I was in the big girl chair yesterday getting my Vitamin H!

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Good luck Vicki!  Typing while under the influence of Bendaryl...hmmm..looking forward to your posts!  lol

• lago
    Good luck Vicki. I also found video games helped pass the time. My onc saw me once playing my old color gameboy from the 90's and cracked up. Tongue out I know my 1st infusion was uneventful. Hoping the same for you.
  • dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Best wishes today for your first infusion vicki! 

I had my last TCH on Wednesday all!  Wa-hoo!  

• kltb04

Good luck Vicki!  I always try to read but sometimes I have to put my earplugs to my ipod in just to block the chatter around me!

Thanks again for all the input on labs, etc...I called and requested to go in this time for weekly labs just so I can have an idea of what is going on.  Still no horrific side effects from the Taxotere - I thought I was getting a little achy last night but it seems to have gone away.

• lago
    OMG DanceT that's fantastic. I so remember how scared you were of chemo at the beginning. YOU MADE IT!!! Time to do the Happy Dance!