Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• cellomomof5
    cellomomof5 Member Posts: 49

TonLee - Congratulations!

Redninrah - my first onc. gave me a choice between TCH and AC-TH.  I went to Dana Farber for a second opinion (actually got 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions, but that's a different story) and all three expressed a strong preference for AC-TH.  They felt, given my age (47), good health and clear echocardiogram, AC-TH was a stronger bet for my particular set of cancer characteristics. Of course, then I ended up with a totally new chemo plan to follow AC in a clinical trial that they liked even better!  

BC is so heterogenous... there are so many little factors that make each person's situation unique, and I'm sure there are good reasons for each of us why one treatment might be preferable to another.

• sunflower71
    sunflower71 Member Posts: 53
    Tonlee- Congrats!!! You made it!  So happy for you!Smile
  • nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324

Hey I was wondering anyone get mild to medium headache from either Herceptin or decadron ( generic) I have had one all day. I took 500mg Tylenol with no relief. Amy input would be appreciated. Today was my 1st TX so I am little nervous. Thanks ladies

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277

I get a headache from *something* but since I have always had everything all at once, I don't know what causes it.

I didn't get my headache until Day 5 - Day 9 though.

They decreased the Decadron they gave me this time.  I was having 10mg in the IV - decreased to 4mg tis time because of the diarrhea and heartburn issues I had last round.  I don't have the Decadron before or after infusion.

Good Luck, NMOSS.  You can do this!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

NMOSS:  Hope your headache goes away soon.  Had the port today and OUCH is right.  Are you having any problems with your shoulder?  Just curious!

Arlene

• nmoss1000

Hi Arlene I rolled my shoulders like in yoga and that helped. The pain is gone today. I got it installed yesterday. Good luck and thinking of you. My pain was in

My back, nothing a rub didn't help.

PejKeg 3- thank you ! I an hoping to get my steroid reduced. I too am having wicked heartburn already and I only took 8 mg. 1/2 the dose on pure accident. I read the label

Incorrectly and saw it just a few min ago. Its too late for me to dose now. But I will take 2 an hour before my infusion in the am.

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829

nmoss - I got headaches from the zofran... little known SE of zofran, if you are taking that or were premediated with it.  Just a thought.  :)

• nmoss1000

Hi Leanna- Thank you, they are giving me Emmend at my request today.I had Zofran after bi lat and it didn't really work. But that is good to know about the Zofran

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

nmoss,

I got headaches with my 3rd round of TCH but nothing really before or since then. It's strange that with me, I would get SE's with each round of TCH but evey TCH was different as far as what SE would show up. You would think I would get the same SE's only worse with each one. Not so. The worse SE showed up towards the end of my 2nd TCH and that was horrible itching all over my body. I was so worried I was becoming allergic to something dealing with my chemo. That lasted a few days and never came back. I still cant figure out how the SE's work because for me they are never the same.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

Anybody said no to getting Neulasta?

How have those shots been for people?

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277

I don't get Neulasta, WINDLASS.  My onc waits to see if patients will need it.  I didn't on the first round.  I'm praying I get through my chemo/rads schedule with no additional procedures/meds.

Does your onc routinely do Neulasta?

• nora_az

I got Neulasta. I have heard horror stories about it. I am happy to report I had no problems whatsoever. No pain when it was given and nothing afterwards. For me it was just like going in to get a flu shot or something.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

My oncologist apparently gives Neulasta to everyone. He explained that it allows them to put patients on an every-two-week regimen rather than the older (and apparently less effective) every-three-week regimen.

But it seems to me they should measure the white blood cell count first. Why have a drug with potential side effects if you don't need it?

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Hi everyone   I got headaches with the herceptin and now that  its the only drug i get i know its the Herceptin.  nurse looked it up on package insert and it list the SE as 10%  I guess that I'm that 10%  but now that I know I take some tylenol before I get infused and it helps, usually only last a day or two.

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

I had Neulasta shots after each of my 4 AC treatments - one week after.  I had read on the boards here about the horrible side effects, and that some were taking Claritin to reduce those.  I took Claritin daily during AC just in case, and I had minimal side effects from the shot - kind of like muscle aches around my torso/rib cage area for about 12 hours.  My white count was very low during AC (was on antibiotics a few times to prevent infections/illness) so I'm glad I had it b/c who knows what the counts would have been without!

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

NMoss,

The Herceptin gives me headaches...after the first treatment it was really bad and lasted about 6 days...then each subsequent treatment it lessened...I also get Botox (especially in the back of my neck where my headaches start) and that REALLY helps.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Windlass,

Dose dense is harder on your system, doesn't give your body a lot of bounce back time.  I wouldn't say it is more effective though.  I haven't read that at all.  It just seems to be one of a handful of available treatments.

http://www.bcirg.org/NR/rdonlyres/eno7mvfpseiqi5g3pernz37zzeavin4f7o5hos4zwlu76clvwkfluhskusgcmnqvyqk7ksb4gdimpmt6xcmkxppnqce/945_GS5_02_+abst+62+Jan+10.pdf

IT seems that some of the treatment approaches are based on where you are in the country, the Oncs preferences, etc.

I was originally supposed to do dose dense AC-TH, but there was an Adrymiacin shortage here and the Onc said TCH is just as good, then gave me the study linked above.  I'm much happier on TCH because it is easier on the ejection fraction and 10 years out, any damage it has done, shows signs of improvement.  Adrymiacin is not so forgiving.

I didn't take Neulasta the first TX, and spent 5 days in the hospital.  Everyone was sure I could do it without (including me)...but guess my WBC were wimpy. ha. 

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

Anybody have nosebleeds with TCH? Woke up this am with nose gushing blood. Nosebleeds aren't uncommon for me just trying to figure out if it's mess or time if year????

• nora_az

Kris

I woke up this morning with a lot of blood in my kleenex. Not a true gushing nosebleed but you get the idea. I have that a lot around the 1 1/2 week mark after TCH. After the first week I start getting severe runny nose and yukky feeling as if I am getting a bad cold, then that lets up and I end up with a bloody crusty nose. YUK

• arlenea

Hi all:

Don't start my chemo until Monday but my oncologist does bloodwork 8 days following each treatment and if you need the Neulasta you get it, otherwise no.  From what I hear, I'm glad about that!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Arlene

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    I got nosebleeds 1 week after every chemo. Now that I'm on herceptin only I still occasionally get them (1 per every 3 weeks). It's not as dry now since winter is gone so that helps. I found keeping my nose from drying out by putting a little Vaseline up there every evening really helped a lot.
  • kriskat

Arlene-I'm having bloodwork drawn tomorrow to determine whether the neulasta is necessary. Hope not but again, I feel like all bad things will happen to me since his diagnosis:)

• nora_az

My Neulasta shot was done 24 hours after TCH everytime regardless of blood work

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

Yep - now that I hear that from Nora - it reminds me that I did get my Neulasta shot the day after treatment.  I went the week after to have bloodwork and see the PA.  Crazy that I already forgot those details - thought I would never forget that stuff when it was happening.  A good sign, yes?!!

• arlenea

KrisKat:  I know it is tough but you Gotta keep thinking positive, positive, positive.  Eat lots of foods that help build the WBC too; lots of carrots, yogurt (I think the Greek is best), lot of green, red vegetables (washed really, really well though).  I'm hoping those wll work. 

I've always been a health food junkie and a germafobe so guess I'll be even worse now!! 

Take a B-Complex if your doctor allows it - mine was very positive on the B-Complex.  I've started trying to buy organic as much as possible - it we need organic shampoo, why not organic foods.  I'm reading the book The Anti-Cancer - A New Way of Life.  Good book!

• arlenea
    Dr. Oz:  Precautions re Mammograms and Dental XRays / A Useful Warning

On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer.  It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms.  He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it.  Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms.  By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know.  You have to ask for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask? 

Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass this on to your friends and family.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

I asked about this for rads!  They said it wasn't possible.  Talk about a possible dose to the thyroid I would think radiation treatment would be one.

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154

Very interesting information about the thyroid/neck gaurds.  I will absolutely be asking for this in the future.  Thanks for sharing with us.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Great info Arlene, thanks.  After radiation, my voice gets scratchy and slightly hoarse after I talk a little while. I wondered if it affected my thyroid....which stays low even with lots of iodoral.

For those of you gettting the neulasta shots, you might read up on taking claritin. It is an antihistamine. I took claritin and never suffered any bone pain with the shots at all.  

• kriskat

Arlene-trust me had the bad luck before the big C. As a matter of fact my husband calls me "Kursetal" instead of Kristal alot! I've download the Anticancer to my kindle just haven't read much of it yet!