Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

TonLee: I fixed the fasting link. Here it is:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/766523

Before you write it off, please read the links, and the articles, too.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

Wow....what a wonderful idea on how to dress sexy and have no fear of the port showing!  Thanks so much I wasn't even thinking of something like that but it would work!

• nora_az

TonLee

I have been working so hard on getting the protein in. I have been averaging around 80 to 90 grams per day. If I have a day where it's lower than that I eat Greek yogurt or have a protein shake.

I want so badly to start exercising again. Until my hernia repair in a month or so even a brisk walk is out.

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

Hello gals,

I have been thinking about eating soya products. We may all know it contains great amount of phytoestrogen. but I heard that phytoestrogen from soya will not boost our own estrogen but will depress human estrogen instead. Does anybody still eat soya foods? I watched a TV show today and soya food again was recommended by an oncologist for BC patients. I have a friend who is ER+ was also consuming soya food in last 17 years after her BC surgery but she had her ovaries removed after breast surgery.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Windlass,

I'm not writing anything off ... the link is still not working...but when I have time I'll find it on the boards and read it. :)

Nora,

You'll be back at it in no time...I have no doubt! 

As far as protein consumption, I plan on staying near the high end for the next 12 months or so.  It can be hard on the kidneys though, so I'll have to remember to drink lots of fluid.  I hope to get back every mm of muscle I've lost and then some....It's one of the few anti-chemical ways to make my bones stronger!

• windlass

TonLee: Try it this time:

Fasting to Reduce Chemo Side Effects

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/766523

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi,

I read about your ports and wonder.  I got 6x Taxotere with Herceptin and 11 x Herceptin every 3 weeks. Infusion with a Kanule (needle for infusion) into the vein of the opposite hand only for time of infusion 1 or 2 days in then I was free for three weeks. Ports are given only for them who have long-term infusions every day for weeks or more. If possible are the ports more secure for infection or more practical for medical stuff?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Slousha I did 6THC (every 3 weeks) and now finishing the year with herceptin (every 3 weeks) and I got a port. Granted I had a BMX and nodes on both sides but they could have used my foot. (Used my foot for IV for port surgery with no issues).

Hiding your port. If you are self conscious try a scarf. Scarves are in right  now. For dressy find a long sheer one. I personally don't care anymore. This summer is will show in most of my tee shirts. I think if I had t meet people from my husbands work I would hide it. They don't know what's going on.

• windlass

slousha: I shudder every time I get an IV. I can't imagine having 17 of them! *cringing at the thought* I'd much rather have a port than go through that.

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Why windlass ? It's only a little stitch, but if you find port for more tolerable, it's good for you!

Best wishes!

Slousha

• cellomomof5
    cellomomof5 Member Posts: 49

Meglove,

I was also told to go ahead and eat soy (I happen to loooove steamed & salted edamame...).  The parent of one of my students in Kindergarten, Dr. William Li, heads the angiogenesis foundation, which looks at nutrition and various disease in terms of prevention and control.  He stopped me in the hall one day at school (on the way to the bathroom!) and spent about 20 minutes encouraging me to look into the nutrition aspect more closely, and to be watchful for cancer myths, such as no soy, and no sugar.  He has been on Dr. Oz talking about this stuff, as well as numerous other places.  You might find the website interesting:

The Angiogenesis Foundation 

• windlass

slousha: I think people have different levels of pain tolerance in their hands and arm. For me, the IV was the hardest part of the three surgeries I have had, and I couldn't get that awful device out of my hand fast enough. Maybe it's because I have fair skin and freckles? I also know that having a biopsy hurt so bad I arched my back to the ceiling and bit my tongue to keep from screaming. And that was with lidocaine.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Speaking of IV's when I had my port installed I had an IV in my hand.  When the nurse was removing it she was distracted and talking with someone and didn't put enough pressure.  She let go, put on a bandaid and walked away.  Next thing I knew the top of my hand started filling with blood under the skin.  I yelped and another nurse came in and thrust my hand into the air.  It filled with blood up to my wrist and turned black and blue.  That hurt more than the port for the first two nights plus it collapsed the vein permanently.  Ugh, be sure to get pressure when an IV is removed.

• lago

cellomomof5 I tend to agree. The sugar thing is a myth. The soy thing is also not very clear. I do believe the alcohol, specifically wine can be an issue if you have more than 2-3 glasses a week.

To be honest I'm a bit more concerned about hormones in meat/chicken/dairy products and our drinking water. Not sure  if we need to worry or not. I really don't know how much we are ingesting or and if it's a great concerned for those of us that are hormone positive and are trying to reduce the hormones in  our bodies.

• nora_az

thanks wildlass

I am weird about needles too. I used to be good about getting my blood done and IV's etc. Now they can only use one arm and the arm left isnt the one with the good veins.

You'd think that after all we have been through that sticking a needle in us would be a piece of cake!

• windlass

Nora: Making sure you saw all the dresses links on the last page. I was smiling looking those up for you :)  What, where, and when is the dinner you are attending?

• nora_az

it's Wednesday evening at Mastros in Scottsdale.  Still not 100% sure I am going. My husband had semi invited me and it depends on if a couple other spouses are going too.

I love dresses too and having excuses to dress up.  I havent worn heels since October! 

Thanks for looking those up for me!

• Chan_go_foill
    Chan_go_foill Member Posts: 27

I think the decision to go with a port or an IV is a very personal one that each person has to weigh and decide for themselves.

I chose not to have a port and to go with IV's for several reasons:

1. I have good, easily accessible veins, plenty to choose from
    2. I did not want another two surgeries unless it was medically necessary
    3. I was majorly creeped out by the idea of tubes going into my primary heart arteries
    4. I'm a historic reenactor and I did not want a scar that would be visible in my costuming

In my case, a port was an option and it was not medicially necessary. I've been very glad that I chose not to have one. Frankly, I've found IVs to be no more painful than a typical blood draw, and after surgery, biopsies etc., I'm pretty impervious to the whole thing. I'm done with my year of herceptin now and the IVs didn't bother me in the least!

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

lago and cellomomof5

Thanks for sharing your story and opinons. I am trying to get only hormone-free meat but we know even that, meat itself contains hormone naturally. I will start with a weekly soya product for now. I will consume more duck or fish, rather than red meat after I recover from chemo. I did consumer a considerable amount of red meat during chemo as the nurse told me twice to get blood transfusion but I declined. It seems eating red meat and taking iron supplement helped boost my hemoglobin.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652

My veins are well hidden, so my port was my best friend, especially when I was hospitalized and they were taking my blood every day. It was funny though when the nurses would come to take blood and I would have to tell them to use my port. You could tell they weren't used to seeing patients with ports.

Nora - I wore a pretty shawl at my son's wedding last year to hide my port scar.

Juli

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277

I don't have a port either.  My onc doesn't generally do ports unless a person has difficult veins.

But, contrary to what ladies say here, he believes getting lymphedema from BP or IV sticks is "folklore".  I haven't had draws done in my left arm yet, but I'd imagine that I will eventually.  I have had BP taken in my left arm.  Mostly because I forget and when I have an IV in my right hand, naturally they use my left arm for BP during infusion.

I have good veins, drink a TONS of water and so far it's gone ok.  But I do  wonder how things will be when I get to the end of the years's worth of Herceptin.

I agree with Chan - the thought of another two procedures freaks me out.  (one for IN and one for OUT)

I may change my mind down the road but for now, I don't have a port.

• windlass

I was pretty freaked out before the surgery. Now that it's over, I'm so glad I did it. I'm also glad I wasn't awake during the surgery and have no memory of it.

• nora_az

I had my first TCH treatment done without a port. I had the port put in 4 days later (scheduling difficulties) The next time I had TCH with the port. As creeped out as I am with my port I am so thankful I have it and it is so much easier and tolerable than through an IV. When I had it done the first time my veins were not liking it at all. They were very irritated and angry red up my arm.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Port creeps me too but I think it is much better than the stress on the veins.  I'll probably have mine out (maybe) after the 6 Chemos and just have an IV for the remaining Herceptin TXs.

Lots of interesting stuff here today.

Need to read the article on Fasting but my initial thought is that it isn't a good idea.

Happy weekend everyone.  I'll be stressing with my first chemo on Monday!

• arlenea

BTW, the port removal is done in the office and you don't have to go under. 

• nora_az

I was never told they wouldn't put me under??  How simple of a procedure is it?

• lago

pejkug3 It's not folklore. I do not get BP or stick in my left arm (10 nodes) or sticks in my right arm (4 nodes). I do get BP in my right arm but will make them use the manual BP because it doesn't get at tight. My onc wants me to get BP on my arm (probably because the nurses don't know how to do it on my leg. It always starts beeping as if I have High BP and I don't)

I do limit the BP though. Since I get it every three weeks when I did chemo and now Herceptin I won't let any of my other doctors do it. To be honest I'm not happy about it. I have LE in one arm. I really don't want to be dealing with it in 2 arms.

You might want to print out this page and some of the studies on if for your doctor who thinks this is bullshit. No mater what he thinks its your arm and you will have to live with the consequences if he's wrong… he won't. Some of the links/studies are from the NCI.gov site.

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/essential%20informat%20for%20healthcare%20providers.htm   

• lago
    Nora_az I found the procedure to be a breeze. I woke up as they were bringing me into recovery room. With in minutes I was ready to get up and get dressed… was dressed (by myself) before they even got my husband. Doctor walked in to give me some post op info… saw me dressed and sitting in a chair and said something like "seems you're doing just  fine"
  • arlenea

Lago:  So that is why they don't do my BP on the arm with the lymp node removal (and breast surgery).  I didn't know.  Today, since I just had the port put in, they even considered doing the BP on my leg.

I think they over medicated me when they put the port in since I was in recovery (waking up) for nearly an hour.  The NP today told me that sounded excessive.

I've heard the removal process is very simple.  My girlfriend down in AZ just had hers removed right in the office.  It was uncomfortable and she was a bit sore but that beats going under (to me anyhow).