Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• ang7894
    ang7894 Member Posts: 427

Well ok thank all you guys I drank every weekend for the last 20 years Friday & sat shots of whisky I drink a 1/2 pint that is like  9 to 12 shots still do even through chemo I was told by my doctor it was ok if I could handle it.  I stopped smoking cold turkey when found out of dx it's been since Dec 3rd never looked back that does feel good and I smell better too :) smoked for 25 to 30 years only quit when I was pregnant for both my children. I ask this because they keep talking about drinking, smoking, weight etc. causes breast cancer and yeah I know we should stop all this stuff but I want to live life happy too not just live. And drinking with my husband I enjoy we are stay at home kind of people pretty boring ...

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Moonflwr I was legal at 18 but then  2 months later not legal. Then legal at 20… but moved to Chicago so not legal again until 21. Not sure how old you are but I'm young.

From what I read about smoking the latest info says the risk for breast cancer is pretty low although still considered a slight increased risk. My mother in law & aunt in law smoked like a chimneys and as elder women lived together. My AIL never had kids. Neither had breast cancer. MIL died age 86 (lung cancer). AIL passed a few months later of pneumonia complicated by smoking, age 78 I think.They were both overweight, ate crap and couch potatoes. Granted I'm not suggesting anyone pick a smoking habit.

And you better believe that 16 days after my 1st chemo tx I celebrated our wedding anniversary at a French Bistro… and I had a glass of wine. I never did drink that much but I still do have the occasional drink. ( Love tequila too). I do eat Tofu. Not intentionally but I love hot & sour soup at Sun Wah Barbecue. I eat pretty healthy and exercise and to me that is the most important thing we can do. I don't regret my past nor will I blame my past behavior on my contracting this disease. Hell I think living in the city breathing in all that car exhaust is part of it but I have no regrets.

• Ella_117
    Ella_117 Member Posts: 48

Ever since my BC diagnosis I just cannot bring myself to have a drink!

I have also read that luminal B types are less likely to be linked to alcohol consumption, but I just feel somehow there is a connection.

Breast surgeon feels it is important to really limit alcohol intake as it can stimulate estrogen production and has been linked to an increase in BC.

Prior to my BC diagnosis I loved to have a couple drinks with dinner on the weekend and am now so sad, because I am afraid to. Maybe after I complete my Herceptin in Dec. I'll reconsider. I'm thinking that maybe there's a healthy way to add a shot of vodka into one of those healthy Kale smoothies!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Lago, I am 57, gonna be 58 on the 12th. I do enjoy a glass of wine once in a while. I am like you, tiny, only a bit. Use soy sauce once in a while. I am overweight, have a lot of trouble exercising due to athritis. I still try but, as I am off anti inflamitories because of my little brush with renal failure, it hurts, and I can hear my bones crunch when I walk. swimming was out after surgeries, chemo with low counts, and now again surgery. So I went to chemo rehab, but of course now with EF rate of 48% can't even go to that. Lost about 20 lbs with chemo although the big D was mostly the reason. I am now eating better, and less, but not losing. I hate bc.

• lago

Moon I'm 49+2. I eat soy sauce and eat Asian food 1-2 times a week. Love sushi/Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. In grad school my roommates would tease me that I cut up hot dogs so I could eat them with chop sticks. Sorry but I am not giving up Asian food.

Arthritis sucks. They tell you the best thing to do is keep moving but you can't move cause it hurts. I'm stiff from the ESD but still manage. I do worry though because my left middle finger that has the trigger finger in the morning is starting to hurt more and more. Actually the finger next to it too. Concerned the ESD is causing arthritis.

I gained on chemo and had the big C. So strange the same drugs can cause such different SE.

• moonflwr912

Man, I would love to get us all in one room at one time! Could you imagine the noises, sighs, grunts and groans as we got up? LOL. You gotta laugh it we'd all be crying in our beers. Oh wait, maybe not! LOL.

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

I think about the reasons that I could have gotten bc quite a lot. I did drink a lot on the weekends. My husband is a musician...you can imagine what that has been like. We loved wine with dinner or brunch. I quit drinking when i got pregnant with my daughter and son and just never did like the taste after that. I have never like exercise...:( but I am learning to now. I have worked as a make up artist for years and years...and am only now finding out how sooooo many cosmetics are bad for estrogen production...that is a tough one. Not sure what to do. Food...I am French and Italian...I was screwed from the get go. I love good food!!! With butter:) but I have changed my diet:( I have been thin my entire life until I had my daughter in 2010. Then I blew up.

I also took estrogen/progesterone during both pregnancies at different times to prevent miscarriage and clomid to get pregnant.

I read these threads do much And was amazed to see how many teachers are on here. It makes me wonder...could the same biological functions that cause your breasts to leak when you hear a baby crying or that can sync your period with your co workers also cause your estrogen levels to change so much that it causes problems...maybe even cancer? I know...it doesn't matter now...but, I still wonder.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

I try not to figure out why I got it.  Pretty much, I have no risk factors.  Have always been thin, always worked out and eat really well and always have.  I do love my wine though.  Quit totally wine, caffeine and anything that would impact the liver during treatments.  I do drink my wine again but very little now.  BC doesn't run in my family either.  Back to what many are saying, environmental is probably the cause and some of us are more susceptible than others.

Now the darn aches and pains from the AL are getting worse.  While in Cali last week, 2 days in a row I forgot to take it and presto all the pain was gone.  It is back now.  I understand that for some who have major problems from the Arimidex that you can switch to another and that helps.  I have my 3-month check up next month and will ask.  Just a few weeks and I'll pass a year on the Arimidex. 

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    sol - We had a coffee thread going for a while!  I think the research is still out on coffee and bc - i haven't read anything for sure bad about it so I carryon with my coffee.  I think if I did read something bad I would carryon with my coffee anyway - I love coffee.  
  • bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

How low did your EF go down before the onc put you on herceptin break? Im just done with my 5th dose (weekly). My EF last last month was 66 and 62, now it's down to 58 and 54. I really dont want to disrupt treatment, but of course, scared of CHF.

• Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

I think alcohol consumption was probably my only real risk factor.  Like Ang. hubby and I are homebodies and love to share a few drinks and chat in the evenings.  We have solved all the world problems several times over during those chats.  I pretty much stopped all drinking during chemo.  Was to pooped to stay up and wine didn't taste good at all.  Lately we have had a few nights of 'relaxation' but it seems to hit me harder and I feel really tired the next day so I'm about to give up on alcohol entirely.  Before diagnosis I was eating very healthy to try to keep my cholesterol down without meds. (I had a reaction to Lipitor).  I was eating more soy products.  I'm not convinced there is that much of a problem with diet.   I'm not going to be cooking with soy oil or eating tofu regularly but I'm not going to be reading the labels on salad dressing bottles like a friend of mine does.  We have marvelous imitation meat products available here in Israel and most are made with soy.  They are a really easy dinner for two old folks.  I'm cutting down on those but am not going to give them up entirely. Moderation is my theme.  I just can't live a life of paranoia.

Peggy 

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

I worry that alcohol has been a risk factor for me. Its somehow ingrained in the culture here and I drank throughout my university years and in the years before my children. I still drink but in moderation and I am alot more careful. However, why have I got BC when friends who did the same and worse have not.

I now feel healthier than I have in years. I am loving the effect of a regular exercise routine. I  power walked and did gym work out yesterday; although its hard to shift the weight around my middle.

My friend has her clinic appointment for suspicious lump on Thursday. She has been a drinker. No rhyme or reason to this. 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

OK i'm going to settle this whole problem---No one knows why we get a lot of diseases---it's not just one reason---Mu dad drand his wine and stuff reg. and smoked and there he was at 96 and he died---my om didn't smoke, or drink much she got a form of cancer - but died at 88---I don't think there is ryhe or reason --I know they're searching but no ine can make any positve statment--people get lung cancer and never smoked--people who smoke never get lung cancer and on and on--No one knows It's just lately in our lives that they are really trying to figjre it out. There are loads of theories and trials, but the last word is always a statistic so that leaves the answer we don't know--There's to many factors with cancer, different breast cancers and where are they traveling or are they traveling--they do the best they can some better than others but still there are side effects from every chemo-rad, or med we take so inever y breath we take, every pill we takewhat are we doing to our bodies---nothing it's our bodies thst produce cells and open them up for infection.  If this was MS or a similiar type of horrible disease it just happens--they don't give reasons and that's what happens with cancer--it's life and illness, babies being born, babies dying--people living long lives and ones living short lives---it's life--we can control alot but some things are not controllable--we just take it and try to go on.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Tonlee...

HTH do you do wide squats and keep your knees behind your toes without falling over backwards?

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Camillegal...

LOL! We kinda know what that feels like ...

• lago

Camillegal I agree with you. One thing I do notice with triple positives is we tend (but not all) to be younger. Hey that's not my fault.

Another risk factor is not having kids before your 30. Ironically the other 3 women in my building (there are more but these are just the ones off the top of my head that were diagnosed within months or year or two of me) all had no kids. Is this our fault? Should all women birth a child before 30 just to prevent breast cancer… I don't thinks so.

So don't go blaming your behavior for "causing" breast cancer. I think my biggest risk factor was very dense breast tissue. That isn't my fault!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,255

I blame a crappy roll of the dice - nothing I did or didn't do!  There are people with very unhealthy habits who live to be 100 and those with very healthy habits who are dx'ed with BC  - as said above - no rhyme or reason.

bcbarbie - my understanding is a 10% drop in EF or below 50.

• omaz
    LOL Cami!!
  • moonflwr912

I go with who the h*ll knows why people. My uncley smoked cigars daily until he passed last year at 100. My dad died at 88, due to an infection they missed in his replacement knee, two years after surgery. I think he would have lived till 100 if not for the infection. My mom passed at 76 from bc mets 7 years after BMX and being called clear. So wthk? Take care of yourself do things in moderation, and enjoy life. That's my plan.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Bcbarbie.....regarding the ef factor, my onc said under 50 was low. I think he would have cut me off at 55.

I agree that there probably isnt just one reason why we get it. Our physician friends went to a seminar on lifestyle foods, etc. they said that the things we have added to foods have changed our DNA to the point of four generations down the line. Add that, the environment, and some lack of knowledge on exactly how to address our immune system, and somewhere in there the perfect storm happens.

I hope I make it to 88 with my mental faculties intact. If I inherit my moms side genes, I could. If I get my dads, I'll be lucky to see 72, which seems to be the magic number on his side.

• arlenea

You got it SpecialK!

Coffee:  I only quit it during chemo. 

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

Fluff, so not looking good for me then. Both values fell off the 10% mark. And being just in the 5th if my low-dose weekly at that. Sigh. Could this downward trend still be due to the epirubicin rather than herceptin? And if so, how would i know which is causing it? I so want to do herceptin same time with taxotere. Praying for God to let me through. It's my birtday tomorrow after all. Maybe He can cut me some slack. Starting premeds tomorrow, too.

• arlenea

BcBarbie:  I believe the magic number is 50 and you get a break from Herceptin.  May of us have been there.  I started at 73.9 and it kept dropping and when it went from 60 to 50....that was the end for me.  But I made it to #10 so we can only hope that is enough!  Good luck to you!

• omaz
    bcbarbie - It sounds like epirubicin is a newer cousin of adriamycin so it's possible the heart changes could be due to that.  What does your oncologist say about it?  maybe he/she could refer you to a cardiologist.
  • MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Hi everyone! I'm new to the website. Still figuring out how to navigate and where I fit in. I am Trple +. I was just recently dx beginning of July. I am 5 weeks post op Tram. Bmx. Size was 1.3, grade 3, stage 2a. I have 1/2 sentinel nodes showed positive with micromets in final path. report. I have my first appt with oncologist on the 18 th of this month. I have heard I will need Hercepton and tamoxifen. But what else can I expect? I do know the surgeon wants to go in and remove more lymph nodes now instead of radiation. Mostly because I've just had my reconstruction. Any insight at all wold be helpful. Thank you Ladies.

Tori

• lago
    MsTori  you belong here. Herceptin is usually given with chemo because it tends to work even better with chemo. Not sure what to say about Rads/Node removal in your case because you've just had surgery but many women get rads after surgery. It is after chemo though. I more people will chime in but your risk of lymphedema goes up with node removal. You still are at risk with rads but it might be a little less. I would discuss this rad or no rads with your medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist as well. I'm not sure your surgeon should be making this decision alone.
  • arlenea

Welcome MissTori.  Sorry to have to be here but you'll get lots of information and support.  I agree with Lago, your surgeon should not be the only one making this decision.  Your onco is a great resource for you. 

Hey ladies:  Has everyone seen the new study starting up on breast cancer?  I just signed up to be part of the study/research.  If interested, go to:

http://www.armyofwomen.org/HOW2

Dr. Susan Love is instrumental and looking for a cure. 

Arlene

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Thanks Lago! Appreciate the info. I'm going through the VA hospital for my tx so far. They have been great. But now I'm recouping about 3.5 hrs from hosp I had surgery at and about 1.5 hrs fom closest VA hospital. I hear the oncologist is great. I would like to stay with VA, but the distance concerns me. The surgeon and PS are my only contacts this far. They have a tumor board meeting the first Wed of each month, so this Wednesday is one. They will discuss my case then. Waiting to see what they say about the node. I do need to talk with the oncologist. I hate the idea of more node removal and also, I just had tram flap done and rads would take my new breast away. I hate cancer!

Tori

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,255

mstori - are you going to Haley for your treatment?