Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Laurie, flu, and you're cooking... your DH should be especially grateful this Valentine's!

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

I was supposed to go the store and buy crab meat to try the crab cakes.  The thought of going out this morning- yucko and the thought of smelling seafood double yuck!  So, a nothing special dinner but yes the hubby is grateful since he hasn't gotten the flu he is hungry!!

• debbie6122
    debbie6122 Member Posts: 2,935
    Options

Sherril- I wish i could take the credit for the table but i d/l on line to maybe give myself and others a few ideas, my table was close to this but i dont know what those pink things were in the right hand cornor of the placemats they looked like false teeth LOL!

michelle- i dont like lamb anyway so would difently use the lean hamburger, and would also use the zuccinni instead of the eggplant the only time i like eggplant is a fried eggplant parmasan- thanks for the tips.

Laurie08- Awe so sorry you have the flu hope you are better soon!

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Oh Blech Laurie,

That stomach bug is the worst especially with young children!  Hope you all are feeling better today!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Valentine's dinner turned out to not be the one I planned. 

Was planning to have a Seafood with Pinot Grigio seafood recipe over pasta but, time kind of got away from me yesterday (long story) so, we had takeout pizza and antipasto by candle light.  Really kind of nice, actually.

Dessert was something called a Chocolate Dome that I picked up at the bakery.  Pretty much it's chocolate mousse enveloped in a chocolate shell!  Soooooooo good and barely any calories, I'm sure! Wink

Tonight it's the pasta I didn't get to last night! 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Lol Debbie6122....

I saw those too and was wondering what they were!!  The table was very pretty....

• Laurie08
    Options

Seaside- things don't always go as planned huh?  Glad I am not the only one!  Hope your pasta dish turns out great!

A friend passed along a recipe she found and loves for sesame chicken, I am going to attempt it tonight.  IT sounds healthy, easy and yummy!  Here is the link http://chinese.food.com/recipe/healthy-sesame-chicken-82915

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Laurie, I hope everyone in your house is feeling better.  The stomach bug is just awful!

The crab cakes last night were really good.  Thanks, lago!  My husband and I had them and I froze 4 or 5 of the extra cakes for another time. 

Here is the recipe my Mom gave me for the Sausage w/ White Beans and Escarole:

1 lb. pork sausage (bulk, or links w/ casings removed)

3Tbsp olive oil

15 fresh sage leaves

1.5 Tbsp chopped garlic

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 cans cannellini beans (16 oz each)

8 oz. diced canned tomatoes

1.5 cups chicken stock

small head escarole or spinach leaves

Saute sausage until cooked.  Remove from skillet.  Heat oil over medium heat.  Add 5 sage leaves.  Cook 3-4 minutes until they begin to crisp.  Discard.  Chop remaining sage.  Add garlic & onion to skillet & cook 5 minutes.  Add beans, sage, tomato, broth and escarole.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Add sausage, salt & pepper to taste. 

Tonight is a no-cook night.  Husband is at a work event, and the kids are eating leftover pasta (their dinner from last night).  I will probably just have some cereal!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

tougherthanithought I'm so glad you enjoyed them! We are finally having that chicken/vegi soup tonight. My camera battery died but I should have a picture later.

This is another recipe that I just found but haven't tried:

--------------------------------------------------------
    TURKEY POTPIE WITH MUSHROOMS
    --------------------------------------------------------

Prep: 45 minutes
    Cook: 55 minutes
    Makes: 6 servings

Filling Ingredients

• 1/4 cup dried shiitake or chanterelle mushrooms
    • 3 medium carrots, peeled, cubed (or 10 ounces baby carrots)
    • 1 bag (10 ounces) frozen, defrosted pearl onions
    • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
    • 1 medium leek, white part only, finely chopped
    • 1 pound medium mushrooms, cut into large dice
    • 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
    • 1 1/2 pounds (4 cups) cooked turkey breast, in large cubes
    • 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
    • 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
    • 1 cup half-and-half
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • White pepper
    • 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    • 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme

Dough Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups flour
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen, cut into small pieces
    • 1/2 cup whipping cream
    • 1 large egg, beaten

Directions

1. Soften the dried shiitake in boiling water 20 minutes. Immerse the carrots in a medium saucepan of boiling water; simmer until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Drain; place in a bowl. Add the onions.

2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the leeks. Cook, about 3 minutes. Drain the shiitake mushrooms; add them and the fresh mushrooms to the skillet; cook, 3 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables and the cooking juices to the bowl. Add the peas and turkey.

3. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Slowly add the stock, half-and-half, salt and pepper to taste; whisk the sauce until it is thickened and smooth. Add the herbs and the turkey and vegetable mixture; mix well. Taste for seasoning. Pour the cobbler mixture into a deep buttered 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.

4. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. For the dough, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan in a food processor. Add the frozen butter; process until all the flour is incorporated. Add the cream while the motor is running; process until the dough forms a ball.

5. Roll out the dough to fit the top of the casserole or drop spoonfuls of dough on top of the turkey mixture, distributing the dough evenly. Brush with the beaten egg; sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. Place the casserole on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is browned, checking during the last few minutes to make sure it does not burn, 30 to 35 minutes.

Nutrition information

Per serving: 831 calories, 47% of calories from fat, 43 g fat, 26 g saturated fat, 248 mg cholesterol, 59 g carbohydrates, 51 g protein, 903 mg sodium, 6 g fiber

source: turkey potpie   

• debbie6122
    Options

laurie- Looks like a good and easy chx sesame will try it only thing i need is the sesame seeds.

Toughterthanithought-Thanks a bunch for sharing your moms recipe  it sounds wonderful

the chx pot pie looks good yum!

• debbie6122
    Options

Seaside- Sometimes the simplist meals can be better and more romantic- where we used to live we had a ice storm on our anniversary power was lost for days but we spent our ann in front of our fireplace had pizza and played cards one of the best ann ever! I decided to make an easy dinnr for valentines made frozen buitoni's lobster/shrimp ravioli (so good) with garlic bread and for dessert i made a instant choc pudding put some grand marnier and vanilla  in the pudding then put it in little pastry tarts that were athens phyllo tarts then topped with some truffles we went in to a chocolate coma but was so easy and yet delicious.

• Laurie08
    Options

Thanks Sherrill, everyone here is on the mend it seems.  Last night I thought my one year old was getting it as he was up all night, when he usually never gets up.  But he ate a ton for breakfast so perhaps it is his teeth?

The Sesame Chicken was really easy and we all really liked it. 

• Laurie08
    Options

So tonight is not healthy cooking night.  I am masking something my mother always cooked.  Lamb patty's with fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese with fried zucchini sticks with a honey/mayo dipping sauce and baked red potatoes,  This is one of my favorites!

• lago
    Options

I picked up some brown rice pasta from Trader Joes today. Anyone ever try this? I'm finding the whole wheat pasta really tastes crappy and the texture is just gross.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

Lago - we are not crazy about whole wheat pasta, either.  That's why I switched to Dreamfields - lower carb, tastes like the "real" stuff.  We have eaten out the last couple of days (Valentine's Day and then I went with hubby to St. Louis on a quick business trip). 

Tonight's dinner is grilled (yup, outdoors!!!) boneless pork chops with a peach-mustard bbq sauce, quickie French Canadian/Boston baked beans, cornbread and sauteed zucchini.  The baked beans are 2 cans of great northern beans, drained, mixed with a little sauteed bacon and onion, 1/2 cup of sugar-free pancake syrup, 2 tablespoons ketchup, a couple dashes of worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt.  I am cooking it in my convection oven at 300 for an hour.  We'll see how this concoction comes out.  The French Canadian recipe calls for real maple syrup and Boston baked beans usually have molasses and both start with dry navy beans.  Who has time for that?  And I am diabetic so I'm always looking for ways to use the sugar-free pancake syrup as the sweetener. 

• Laurie08
    Options

luvRving- Let me know how the baked beans turn out please.  Because of all the work involved I have never attempted them, but love them!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

lago,

I have REALLY tried to like the whole wheat pasta but, I just don't!  Let us know what you think about the brown rice pasta.  We eat pasta at least once a week and I would LOVE to find a whole grain one that I like!

LuvRVing,  I DID try the Dreamfields.  In fact I used it in the macaroni and cheese that my son and his friend just devoured.  It really does taste just like regular pasta!

tougherthanithought,

Your Mom's recipe sounds a lot like the one we have here that we call "Greens and Beans" but she adds tomatoes and sage.  Both would be great additions and I may try that next time I make it! 

Laurie,

Those lamb patties sound delicious!  I have a really hard time finding ground lamb here.  I usually have to ask the butcher to grind some! 

As for your son being up all night, at 1 year old, it could definitely be teeth!  Or it could be more of the dreaded, "Just when we think we have them figured out.. we don't" Wink  

• SeasideMemories
    Options

debbie6122,

I have seen those Buitoni ravioli's in the freezer case and wondered if they were good!  I'll have to give them a whirl.  What type of sauce would you use with them?

You are right, I do think simple, in many cases, is better!  It was really a very nice night and made better by the fact that neither one of us was stressed!   We both joined you in the post-dinner chocolate coma!!

• lago
    Options
    I'll have to try Dreamfields too. I eat lots of veggies but my diet is lacking in whole grains. I really don't eat bread that often. Several years ago I realized that things like bread and pasta was what put on weight for me so I started limiting and cutting down. Granted I do still eat pasta and popcorn but not a lot of sandwiches.
  • LuvRVing
    Options

Laurie08 - we just finished eating and the beans are a winner.  I ended up increasing the oven temp to 400 and letting them go uncovered for 10 minutes after the first hour.  Because I am not using anything with real sugar, they don't have that dark brown color that you get from real baked beans.  But they were very, very tasty and I will make this again.

The grilled pork chops with peach-mustard bbq sauce turned out really delicious.  The bbq sauce was about 1/4 cup of sugar-free peach marmalade, 1 tablespoon of Grey Poupon mustard, and about 2 tablespoons of orange juice mixed together (enough for 4 small boneless chops).  Just season the chops with seasoned salt and pepper, then paint the sauce on the meat.  Grill for 5 minutes on each side and call it done.  If you overcook boneless chops, they get dry and tough.  If you leave the meat slightly pink, they will be tender and juicy. 

Bon appetit!

Michelle

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    Options

We use the Barilla high protein pasta.  It is made with lentil flour and has Omega 3.  It tastes great, like traditional pasta.  I haven't read the box carefully, but I think it's healthy.Has to be better than white pasta.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

DesignerMom,

I just did a quick google of the pasta that I think you are talking about (Barilla Plus) and that sounds like something I WILL try soon!  Have already added it to my list for this week!! The grams of protein per serving is really quite good AND it was rated as very kid friendly!  Hadn't ever checked it out before. Thanks for sharing that! 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

I just had to look up the Barilla Plus, here is a good article that talks about nutritional information on the pasta.  Sounds pretty good.

http://www.answerfitness.com/271/barilla-plus-pasta-healthy-food-day/

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

We tried something for dinner tonight that we'd seen the Neely's do on the Food Network--kale in the oven, and it was just delicious!  You remove the leaves and arrange on a big baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  It came out feather light and crisp, a lot like potato chips, and both of us really liked it.  I was surprised, since I don't even like kale, but this is something I'll do again.

Kathy

• SeasideMemories
    Options

QCA,

I had seen that before and was wondering if it really came out good!  I will have to give that one a whirl as well.  I'm guessing if I go out to the food network I can probably find the recipe!

Always looking  for good recipes for vegetables and whole grains as that is what I am trying to increase here!

• debbie6122
    Options

Seasidememories- the sauce comes with it already in a pouch that you just put in the boiling water with the pasta, its a creamy butter sauce that is good too.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options
    • I go the high durum wheat pasta....white.  My take is the stuff is enriched, and I get plenty of fiber from other sources.  A friend of mine made whole wheat once.  Her husband's comments were priceless, if not repeatable.

I had grilled fish with tarragon, with brown basamati rice, carrots and broccolini.  YUM, especially with white wine.  Some fruit for dessert.  Had a couple of snacks prior to, as was starving.

I have to try the porcini pasta at Pike Place market.  Lemon pepper is wonderful with clam sauce on it.

I braise kale with garlic and a bit of olive oil.  Need to start with slightly damp, but is delish.

I am thinking of Elk Stew for when a friend comes to visit from NYC.  If not, boeuf bourguignonne with locally-ranched beef.  Either will be delish.

• lago
    Options

I think I've tried the Barilla Plus. Don't remember how it tasted though.

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Dreamfields isn't made from whole wheat flour, so if your goal is whole grains eating it won't help in that regard.

I have tried some of the corn pastas and while they have a distinct taste, it's not strong and the texture is good -- but only some brands and it's hit or miss.  Once I find a brand (I'm currently looking again) I stick with it as long as it's available, but I don't use it for everything.

Also, although quinoa isn't a grain, it's certainly much more nutritious than white flour, and there are some quinoa pastas.  Haven't tried them yet.

The Barilla Plus sounds interesting, I may give that a shot.

I'm with you, Claire:  Generally, I get my whole grains through various sources -- brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread (I bake my own to avoid all the additives in some brands) -- and I don't eat pasta a lot, so I figure that's one of those times when I'll eat what I enjoy and worry about whole grains in other dishes. 

Seaside, Diana Dyer (nutritionist on bc.org) has a ton of kale recipes on her blog, worth looking at if you're trying to eat more of this veggie. She's also a vegetarian so there are lots of good veg*n recipes on her site -- anything I've tried, I've liked.  She also has the "kale chips" recipe, super easy and good.

I haven't cooked dinner one night this week, just cereal or something equally light and easy, too tired... but hope to do some cooking over the weekend!  Sweet potatoes are calling my name...

Bon appetit, everyone!

• LuvRVing
    Options

I am diabetic and try to limit my whole grains because they cause a glucose rise.  They are not as bad as processed grains, but none the less they can cause trouble in what would be considered a ""reasonable" serving for most people.  That is why I eat Dreamfields when I have pasta - it's more about the glycemic index than the attempt to eat whole grains.

Actually, the doctor who provides dietary guidance for The Biggest Loser (Dr. Michael Dansinger) is a medical consultant on a diabetic discussion board on WebMD. 

http://exchanges.webmd.com/diabetes-exchange/groupstory/7186694

He is a nationally recognized endocrinologist and published research scientist.  His Type 2 diabetic reversal guidance (for glucose control and weight loss) is to severely limit whole grains.  Those of you who want to lose weight might want to check out his blog...it might change your mind about the need for whole grains.

http://blogs.webmd.com/life-with-diabetes-2/2009/08/eating-for-diabetes-reversal-part-6.html

Michelle