Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Traci-----TripNeg,

Italian food is a favorite here! My son is not a big fan of red sauce so your recipe sounds like something that he would really like! 

I'm with Laurie... I think this week's  grocery shopping is going to involve a list of ingredients to make some of the delicious sounding recipes posted here...

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Seaside, that looks delicious!

So I had the most unusual combination if foods tonight for dinner. I was basically feeding myself only (long story short, my kid's school provided lunches to the entire school today even though I had packed them a lunch-ergo they wanted to eat their lunches for dinner, which was fine with me). My husband is out tonight at a work dinner so here is what consisted of my "dinner":

1. roasted brussel sprouts w/ garlic

2. A few baby carrots w/ humus

3. Half a PB & J

4. About 10 green olives

if I didn't know any better, I would've thought I was pregnant :)

• SeasideMemories
    Options

tougherthanithought...

You did good!!! I think, for me, given the circumstances it would have fit the bill for a "cereal night"...

Note to self.... I HAVE got to pick up some brussell sprouts this week!!!

• tougherthanithought
    Options

I especially love the brussel sprouts when a few leaves come off after they are cut and they really crisp up in the oven w/ the oil ...soooo good!

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Homemade spaghetti sauce:

Pork Neck Bones

Meatballs

Sautee garlic in olive oil and brown meatballs and pork neck bones

Hunts Tomato Sauce - 3 large cans - add fresh basil (very important), pepper, oregano, garlic

Add browned meat to sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours...enjoy!!

Meatballs:

1 lb chop meat (80-20), salt, pepper, oregano, 1 egg, breadcrumbs (mix and make meatballs)

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Jan... Homemade sauce with meatballs!!!  That is the meal my college age daughter requests for her first night back home... EVERY time!!!!

Simply THE best......

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Tonight is chicken marsala with some whole wheat pasta and garlic bread.  Tomorrow is grocery shopping day so I am running out of dinner ideas with the food I have left.

Sherrill I think you did great with your dinner the other night!  Healthy yet enjoyable:)  Pb &J is always good.  Silly to say but it tastes great with a glass of wine! 

Seaside your Greek chicken dish looked amazing, I've never tried it with yogurt- I might try that one!

• RoxanneC
    RoxanneC Member Posts: 37
    Options

Haven't been here in awhile, so just popping in for a few.  This is an interesting thread. I've been on the Jenny Craig program for awhile now, but for hubby's dinner tonight.....I am fixing him Venison loin chops with saute'd(sp) onions and mushrooms and some broasted potatoes and a salad.

Laurie, do you ever make homemade garlic bread? It's yummy. I make it with pieces of bread on a cookie pan,  drizzled with olive oil then put under the broiler til' brown, then peel and slice a clove of garlic and rub it (open end) over the warm bread.  And sometimes sprinkle it with parmesan cheese.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Thanks Laurie! 

I got the recipe as well as the photo from here... http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicken-souvlaki-gyro-style/Detail.aspx.

I did take a shortcut and bought chicken that was already marinated in an Italian style dressing and cooked that and sliced it.  Made the yogurt sauce as written using a very good plain greek yogurt (I DO think the greek yogurt is a bit thicker than regular and I prefer it).

Left out the pepperoncini...

It was really good!  Thank goodness because, it's what's for dinner tonight too....LOL!!!

I need to hit the grocery store and my son has my car today...  

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options
    RoxanneC I'm not so sure our recipes are "Jenny Craig" approved Tongue out
  • RoxanneC
    Options

lago, I'm not so sure. Alot of the JC food is pretty darn good. I had a chicken marsala the other night...didn't taste anything like diet. They go more by portions. Wink

• lago
    Options

I've never tried any of those diets.In the past I didn't have to lose enough to go one them… granted if 1/2 my weight gain isn't from fluid retention then I might have to consider one of them now.

• RoxanneC
    Options

lol... I'd never had to try any diets, then I gained 30lbs through chemo, and just haven't been able to shed it. Of course it doesn't help that I love to cook and hubby is a good cook, too.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

RoxanneC,

I know what you mean!!! I have NEVER had a problem with weight before but since starting Tamoxifen (and quitting smoking) I have found the pounds piling on!  And right around my middle (the WORST place, healthwise).  

If I gainedin the past,  it was always in my hips/thighs so this abdominal weight gain is new to me.  I have started exercising and hoping to control it through that.  If that doesn't work, I may need to start a more organized weight loss system.

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Laurie, PB &J with a glass of wine? I'll have to keep that one in mind the next time my husband is away! LOL

Seaside, I'm with ya on the Tamoxifen and weight gain of the midsection!!! Ive always had a trim waist but 14 months after starting it and that's where most of my weight gain is. So annoying!

I had a pork tenderloin in the freezer, so I defrosted that this am and I stuck garlic clove slices in it, coated it w/ some light mayo, then crusted it with a mixture of panko, horseradish, and green onions and baked it. It was pretty good and easy. We had it with roastef asparagus and a spinach salad w/ sliced strawberries, walnuts and goat cheese.

• bellydancer
    bellydancer Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Red Curry with Chicken, Peppers, Bok Choy and CarrotsLaughing
  • o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

Yum Thougherthan...I'll have to try that recipe on the pork loin I have in the fridge.

Roxanne - does JC use soy in their foods???  I have always wondered since that may be my next stop if I cannot make these extra 40 lbs start to go away (all in tummy and hips too GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

Hi Seaside :)

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

Oh yeah tonight was chicken/cheese ravioli with red sauce...

My daughter and son had chocolate biscuits and gravy (old family recipe and comfort food) - I was very good and only tasted one spoon full of gravy.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Hi Michelle!

Here I am over on the food thread stalling before weighing myself for the E-LAB Friday check-in and I "wonder" why I can't lose weight...lol

I have a good feeling about this week but, I thought that the last couple of weeks too!

Chicken and cheese ravioli sounds really good.  I had to look up chocolate biscuits and gravy because I had never heard of it before.  That sounds good, too!  And, of course, you have to taste the gravy just to make sure it's good! Good for you for for stopping there!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

bellydancer, 

Do you have a recipe that you follow for the curry?  I love Thai food but have never tried to make it.  

tougherthanithought,

Holy smokes that pork tenderloin sounds good.  Do you use the prepared horseradish from the jar or is it fresh grated root?  Any idea about how much you use?  I tend to stock up on pork tenderloins when they have them on sale and am always looking for different ways to cook them.

• lago
    Options

For those of you who cook Thai, Vietnamese or Indian foods and use Tamarind I highly recommend using Tamarind Concentrate.

Here's the basic recipe I use for

------------------------------------------------
    NUOE LEO Vietnamese Peanut Sauce

Ingredients
    • 1 tbs of tamarind paste (or concentrate)
    • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs of water
    • 1 tbs of peanut oil
    • 2 gloves garlic, chopped
    • 1/3 cup Tương (whole soybean sauce. I'll use fish sauce in a pinch but not the same)
    • 1 tsp granulates sugar
    • 2 tbs (or more) peanut butter

Directions
    1. Heat oil and saute garlic.
    2. Add tamarind concentrate, Tương (or fish sauce), 1/2 cup water, sugar, peanut butter.
    3. Mix well and boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly.

• tougherthanithought
    Options

O2bhealthy- I love ravaiolis!  Chicken and cheese sounds good.  I once had veal ravaiolis out at a restaurant...O....M....G  so good!

Seaside- I used about 1.5 Tbsp prepared horseradish in the jar.  I think it would be good that way smeared on a beef tenderloin, too!

Iago- I'm a huge fan of Thai peanut sauce,  If you put it on a leather shoe, I think I'd eat it with a smileSmile

With my leftover pork, I think I'll make pork tacos w/ black beans.

Sherrill

• SeasideMemories
    Options

lago,

Peanut sauce is sooooo yummy! 

Where do you find the tamarind concentrate?  I checked my local store when I was there this afternoon and they only thing they had was tamarind juice or nectar which I suspect is not the same at all. 

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Seaside, if you have an Asian market, they should have it (plus a great source for other great flavors and things to try).  Or maybe Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, not sure.  I love peanut sauce as well -- thanks for sharing your recipes, lago!

I haven't posted because I've been eating leftovers and cereal for dinner all week, except for last night, when I had sweet potato and black bean burritos.  Yum. 

I know this is a dinner thread but a friend posted this on FB and I tried it one night -- another breakfast-for-dinner night! With leftovers for a quick, hot, yummy breakfast.  If you like rice pudding and/or creamy hot breakfast cereals, you might like this.

Breakfast Rice Pudding (from eHow.com)

Ingredients:

* 1/3 C maple syrup
    * 2 T butter
    * 1/4 t cinnamon
    * 1/4 t nutmeg
    * 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
    * 2 C milk
    * 2/3 C raisins (or combination of dried fruits)
    * 2 C cooked rice

1. You can use leftover rice for this recipe, or make a fresh batch. I like to make my rice in a rice cooker. You will need two cups of cooked rice for this recipe. You could use brown rice, or a combination or white and brown rice, if you like.

2. In a three quart saucepan, combine syrup, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and apples. Heat through until apples are somewhat tender.

3. Add the rice, milk and raisins (or other dried fruits) to the saucepan. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. The mixture should be quite thick. (Note:  I had to cook about 20-25 minutes to get it thick).

4. Serve the pudding topped with toasted coconut, nuts, granola or grapenuts or other some other crunchy bits of your choice, if desired. Serve with a variety of fresh fruit.

Tips & Warnings

* If you want your apples to be quite tender, use MacIntosh. If you want them to keep their shape and be more firm, use Granny Smith.
    * You can also make this in the crock pot. Proceed through step one, then add everything to the crock and cook on low until the mixture is thick.
    * This makes a great take-along for a pot-luck breakfast.
    * Leftovers are just as good reheated in the microwave.

EDITED TO ADD:  forgot to mention, I added a pinch of ground ginger (I love ginger).  Yum!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Thanks NatureGrrl!

I have some leftover rice from a stir fry earlier in the week and have all of the other ingredients.

I now know what's for breakfast tomorrow!!

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Naturgrl- My husband would love that recipe!!

Chicken and cheese ravioli, yumm!  Years ago I worked in an Italian restaurant, they had these spinach and cheese raviolis that I swear made me gain 10 pounds.  I used to eat it with a pesto tomato sauce and mushrooms at least twice a week!

Tonight we have good friends coming over and bringing us dinner:)  They have no kids and since we have the two, we take turns cooking but we always eat here so we don't need a sitter and can put the kiddos to bed.  So no idea what we will have but I know I'm not cooking:)

• lago
    Options

I live in Chicago so I can find tamarind concentrate in both Asian and Indian grocery stores. You can purchase it online. Here are some sources. I have purchased many things from the spice house and amazon.

This is the spice place I listed before:
    http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/tamarind-concentrate-tamarind-paste

Or from Amazon  
    Or chefstop.com 

---------------------------------------------

So will I have to post the checken Satay recipe next? Its very spicy. Should be grilled.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

Yes please.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

lago,

Of course! I forgot you had posted the link for thespicehouse.com!

And, please, when you get a moment, I would love the chicken satay recipe! 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Laurie,

ANYTHING made by someone else always seems to taste so good!  Hope you have a good time tonight!

Tonight my son has a friend spending the night... Two teen-age boys with HUGE appetites just screamed pasta to me....

So Homemade Macaroni and Cheese and a side of roasted asparagus (which they won't touch I'm sure).  Big helpings of pasta for them and small ones with lots of asparagus for my husband and I!!

Hadn't planned on the asparagus but it was only $1.88/lb.  Couldn't pass it up!!