Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• debbie6122
    debbie6122 Member Posts: 2,935
    Options

Just found this site you girls are making me hungry- im going to make a mexi salad for lunch

chop up about a cup of lettuce, add about 1 tblsp of taco seasoning toss in lettuce, add chopped onion, shredded cheese, little chopped avocado, fat free sour cream then i add pace picantee salsa in mild on top its like a taco salad but with out the tortillas and extra fat, i love this salad and eat it almost daily- so yummy!

• debbie6122
    Options

Dinner tonight-

wash and cut up broccoli, and cauliflower, put on sheet pan toss with evoo, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, a little lemon juice and shredded parm cheese put in 400% oven roast for 20 minutes or untill tender after taking out of oven top with more parm cheese and some evoo- 

slice some tomotes put on sheet pan put just a drizzle of evoo on them (to much will stew them) add chopped garlic,basil, oregono, parmesan cheese bake in 400% oven for about 20 minutes i put them on same pan as the broccoli, cauliflower over to the side add more parm cheese when you take them out of the oven

I crave veggies and often dont have any meat sometimes will saute a salmon with blackend seasoning and lemon pepper i lost about 40 pounds eating my salad (above) and these veggies hope you enjoy!

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

DH took  me out tonight for Valentines Day (I'll be traveling to FLA on Monday for business). I had coconut shrimp with sauteed spinich (could have used garlic) and he had sea bass and we shared a bottle of Jacobs Creek Shiraz...very good.

Making my homemade spaghetti sauce tomorrow so he has it next week while I'm away.

Should be interesting with TSA with these tissue expanders :)

Jan

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

satay

Chicken or Beef Satay

Ingredients
    • 1lb. total of boneless chicken and/or beef
    • 3 tbs of peanut oil
    • 3 gloves garlic minced
    • 1 stalk fresh lemon grass chopped
    • 1/2 tsp seeded and finely chopped red chili peppers
    • 1 tbs curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    • 1/2 to 1 tsp fish sauce
    • skewers soaked in water
    • Satay Sauce (see recipe posted below)

Directions
    1. Cut chicken and/or beef into thin 2" strips
    2. In a food processor or blender combine oil lemon grass, garlic, red chili peppers,
        curry powder, sugar and fish sauce. Blend till smooth
    3. Pour over chicken and/or beef and marinate in fridge for 2 hours
    4. Thread meat onto skewers
    5. Barbecue or broil turning occasionally till cooked. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Peanut sauce

Satay Peanut Sauce

Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup peanut oil (I use less)
    • 2 gloves garlic minced
    • 1 onion chopped
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon ground dried red chili peppers
    • 3 kaffir lime leaves (hard to find. Can only get dried these days)
    • 1/2 tsp curry powder
    • 1 tbs chopped fresh lemon grass
    • 1 cup coconut milk
    • 1 2" cinnamon stick
    • 3 bay leaves
    • 2 teaspoons tamarind paste (or concentrate)
    • 1-3 tbs of fish sauce
    • 3 tbs of dark brown sugar
    • 3 tbs of lemon juice
    • 1 cup of chunky (natural) peanut butter

Directions
    1. Heat oil in *pan and saute garlic, onion, chili. peppers, lime leaves,
        curry powder and lemon grass.
    2. Stir in coconut milk, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, tamarind, fish sauce,
        sugar, lemon juice and peanut butter.
    3. reduce heat. Keep stirring. should start to thicken. about 30 minutes

*I highly recommend using a non stick pan

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

We are having Sherrill's pork loin roast, aspergas and salad for dinner, and maybe some of Naturegirl's Rice pudding for desert Laughing

I love this thread!

• tougherthanithought
    Options

So I planned to make pork tacos but we had dance and basketball tonight, so in between the two, we stopped for pizza. Pork tacos for tomorrow.

I love the sharing that's going on here! Michelle, please let me know how you liked the pork!

My Mom came over today and she brought something she made and I had it for lunch. It was sort of a thick soup/stew of cannilloni beans, sausage, tomatoes and escarole. It was really tasty, so I plan to get the recipe from her.

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177
    Options

GREAT thread !  I need to loose weight so bad!  we had salad and crab cakes :)

• o2bhealthy
    Options
    Sherrill - I did not have panko so I made home bread crumbs white organic honey wheat.  I put the cloves of garlic and green onion in the food processor with the bread crumbs (told you I could not follow directions very wellLaughing)  I am really curious how it will turn out...20 more minutes...smells fabulous!
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

Linguini with clams and shrimp..yummy

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

SoCalLisa,

Sounds GREAT!  I have something similar on the menu for this week! 

It's Linguini with Pinot Grigio and Seafood!   Will post when I make it!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Well the 2 teenagers devoured the pan of macaroni and cheese I made and EVEN ate some of the asparagus.... Who would have thought that would happen???

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

That sounds like mine a little Seaside..

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Ohhhhhh yummm!  Both the pork and rice pudding was fab!!!!

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Well our friends brought chicken cor don bleu.  Did I mention that the husband was part owner of a 5 star restaurant in town?  He made my chicken cor don bleu look like a pile of crap, lol!  It was sooooooooooooo good!  I asked him how he did it and it is a lot more work than mine- thus so much better.

Seaside, so glad the boys ate it all up.  You make me smile thinking of the teenagers my boys will become:)

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

Tonight, we had saute'd shrimp, fried black and brown rice, spinach salad, and lightly toasted wheat bread.  I saute'd the shrimp in a little evoo and added a pat of butter to it, and made cocktail sauce for it.  DH gets the black rice at a new Asian market here (now his home away from home) and it's really good!

Kathy

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Dinners all sound good, especially the veggies.  I'm going to have to try lago's satay, too.

Forgot to mention, when I made the breakfast rice pudding, I added a pinch of ground ginger.  I love ginger in all forms and put it in lots of things -- crystallized or ground when I make granola (I know, there's good ones in the store, but I make it to take almost all the fat out, and after all these years I find most of the store/coop ones way too sweet), fresh in all kinds of dinner dishes and in some desserts (apple and other pies, for example).

I bought a rotisserie chicken on sale, had a bit of it warm for lunch yesterday, now I'm debating what I can use it for tonight, I have about a quart of meat leftover.  I've never bought one before but I have to say for the price I don't think I could cook one as good.  I'm thinking something like enchiladas -- all the talk of asparagus lately has me hungry for chicken-and-asparagus enchiladas!

Happy cooking, everyone!

• lago
    Options

Speaking of Enchiladas I found this a few weeks ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

green enchiladas

GREEN ENCHILADAS 

----------------------------------
    Homemade green salsa
    ----------------------------------

24 tomatillos, cleaned and husked

1/2 onion, chopped

8 to 10 serrano chiles, stemmed (and seeded for less heat, or to taste)

1 1/2 cups washed, stemmed leaves of cilantro (from about ¼ of a large bunch)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the tomatillos and boil just until they darken to an olive shade, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.

2. In a food processor, combine the boiled tomatillos with the onion, chiles, cilantro and salt. Pulse until the ingredients are blended to form a salsa. This makes a generous 6 cups of salsa, which can be covered and refrigerated until ready to use, up to 1 week.

------------------------------
    Enchiladas assembly
    ------------------------------

Green salsa

2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil

12 small corn tortillas

2 to 4 cups boiled, shredded chicken

2/3 cup Mexican cream

2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (or Chihuahua cheese)

Salt to taste

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Gently heat the salsa in a large saucepan until it is warm. When the salsa is warm, spoon about 1 cup of it to cover the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.

2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Gently dip both sides of the tortillas into the oil to soften, then quickly dip each of them into the salsa to coat. (For a lower-fat enchilada, skip the oil. Simply heat the tortillas in a microwave until they are soft and pliable.)

3. Place the tortilla on a plate and fill with a scant 3 tablespoons shredded chicken. Roll or fold the tortilla over like a taco and place in the baking dish. Repeat until all of the tortillas are assembled.

4. Cover the assembled tortillas with the remaining salsa and dot with teaspoon-sized dollops of the Mexican cream. Sprinkle over the cheese.

5. Place the baking dish in the oven and heat until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are warm, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Each serving: 640 calories; 43 grams protein; 36 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams fiber; 37 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 122 mg cholesterol; 10 grams sugar; 900 mg sodium.

Total time: About 1 hour
    Servings: 6

Note: Enchiladas are always better if made individually and served immediately. However, if you are having a party, you can assemble the dish like a casserole ahead of time. Assemble the enchiladas in the baking dish without adding the remaining salsa, cream or cheese. About 30 minutes before you are ready to sit down to dinner, pour the salsa on top of the dish, layer over the cream and cheese and place it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Chihuahua cheese and Mexican cream can be found in Latin markets. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/06/food/la-fo-three-kings-rec1-20110106  

• SeasideMemories
    Options

NatureGrrl,

You are right!  What you get for the price on those rotisserie chickens is pretty good.  Especially on the nights it's just 1 or 2 of us here.

Enchiladas are always good. 

Lago,

Those enchilada pictures sure made me hungry already this morning!

Couple of other ideas...

Chicken Salad Wraps, Buffalo Chicken Wraps, A small pot of chicken soup.... 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Jan508,

Sounds like you and your hubby had a nice night out!!  Sea Bass is a favorite of mine!

Hopefully those TSA people are professional.  Are you going to be gone all week?

• Laurie08
    Options

Naturegrl- I am thinking of making enchiladas out of my left over chicken too!  Another great snack with the left over chicken is a buffalo chicken dip.

1 container of cream cheese, mixed until creamy- spread on bottom of oven safe dish (I use and 8/8 pan or pie dish etc) take two cups of cooked chicken and toss with 3/4 cups Franks Buffalo hot sauce and spread over cream cheese.  Next top with 1/4 cup ranch dressing and 1/4 cup bleu cheese dressing and then top with shredded cheddar

This is my "dish" that I bring to parties and it everyone loves it-

• SeasideMemories
    Options

QCA,

Well I am certainly getting an education here!  I had never heard of black rice!

I looked it up and it sounds like it is loaded with anti-oxidants (think along the lines of blueberries).  Thanks for mentioning it!

debbie6122,

I think I may do more of the roasted vegetables... Especially since my son and his friend actually ate them last night!!

MRDRN,

I HEAR you on the weight thing!! Crabcakes sound very good and crab really is very low fat!  When my husband makes them he doesn't use a lot of filler so it keeps them light!

• lago
    Options

OK I will post my crab cake recipe later. Too busy right now.

• debbie6122
    Options

You can make stir fry with the left over chx too- i like to use, cut up broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, ginger,red bell peppers, asperagus, after sauteing those i add soy sauce, peanut oil or hoision sauce and some chicken stock sometimes add honey if i want a little sweeter taste- if i use already cooked chicken i would add some corn starch to the sauce to thicken it up, or if using fresh chicken i would dredge it in the corn starch to saute it first.

Or you can make fajitas too, yumm

want to try the rice pudding sounds good!

• debbie6122
    Options

tougherthanithought- your moms stoup sounds good would love the recipe

seaside,  i love seabass too, that got me thinking what i might do for dinner for valentines day i used to make a seabass with lump crab meat and a holindase or bernaise sauce i have to go find that recipe sounds good or was thinking chicken oscar with asperagus and crab meat with a bernaise sauce 

whats every one cooking for valentines day? Or are you lucky and get to have your sweetheart take you out? Mines to tired on the weekdays because he works late. I edited to say or i might just make the buitoni ravoli with lobster and shrimp its in the frozen section at the grocery store comes complete with sauce and its so good cost about 8 or 9 dollors but so worth it might just go the easy route

Lago your enchaladas look great

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Hi all!

I used my leftover pork loin to make pork tacos. I just cubed the pork and threw it in a pan with some lime juice, salsa, chilli powder, cumin, garlic powder, corn and black beans. I had a few crunchy corn shells as well as a few soft tortillas so I used both. After putting the filling in the shells/tortillas I topped with chopped grape tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Not bad!

When I get the bean/sausage soup recipe from my Mom I'll post it.

Laurie, I've tried that buffalo chicken dip a few times at get-togethers...yum!

Seaside, you just reminded me of a few wraps I make that are good:

whole grain wrap with pesto spread on it with fresh mozarella, roasted red pepper and romaine lettuce. The other one is a wrap spread with a mixture of Greek yogurt and horseradish, and filled with thin-sliced deli roast beef, thin/sliced granny smith apple, crumbled blue cheese and any lettuce you have on hand. The recipe calls for watercress, but I've also used baby spinach or romaine or any greens ( it's not often I have watercress in the house)

• Laurie08
    Options

Sherrill those wraps sound great, especially the pesto, I love pesto!

Dinner tonight was pizza delivery, busy day and when I looked at my husband at 5 and said what do you want for dinner, that was his answer, I had no objections:)

• lago
    Options

tonight we picked up turkey breast from Costco. Not sure which green vegi we'll have with it. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts or Spinach is in the fridge.

I might just make the crab cakes for St VD day.  I will not be making them in the shape of hearts though. Tongue out

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    Options

Hubby is away on a business trip so I ate leftovers---homemade salmon cakes (like a hamburger made with salmon), baked sweet potato, cooked cabbage and carrots. For dessert I had a honeybelle orange plus a square of dark chocolate.  

• o2bhealthy
    Options

we had breakfast for dinner, bacon, pancakes and eggs

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    Options

Great thread.  Thanks for suggesting the quick chicken with salsa and black beans.  I made it with Paul Newman's mango salsa and it was a big hit and so easy!

Lago, I'm coming to your house for dinner!  What great recipes.

Tonight DH cooked one of my favorites, Chicken Papillote.  It has chicken breast, tons of veggies including snow peas, artichoke hearts, asparagus, scallion, lemon and lemon zest baked in parchment paper.  My DH is a keeper for this and many other reasons.