Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,094
    Options

Mae - fingers crossed for a good determination. Yum for Hughies. Drive safely & have fun with your BFF.

Nance - great to see you but sorry for your pain. Hope the MRI shows a way forward.

Today was one long snack with small bites spread over 10 hours. Watermelon, one hot dog, cucumbers in ranch dip, 3 bean salad, pumpernickel toast, dark chocolate ganache hearts. Thie evenings sipping was bourbon mixed with the chocolate liquor that is too thick to drink alone.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,845
    Options

Nice to have so many posts to read today with Nance and Mae checking in. Hope both of you get some good health news.

For a small town it seems that Snowflake has quite a few restaurants.

Last night's dinner was Rao's with Italian sausage and linguine. Fresh grated parmesan. The tossed salad didn't get made.

We stayed up long enough to join the rest of the folks here at the campground and watch fireworks across the lake at Clancy's. We could hear the cheers of the crowd over at Clancy's and horns from the boats on the lake. It was quite festive with a minimum of trouble on our part.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,585
    Options

Minus, the questionable spot hasn’t changed, so we just keep an eye on it, works for me!

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,259
    edited July 2023
    Options

Nance, hope they can figure out the cause of your pain. Illimae, woohoo!! No change is great. Enjoy time with your BFF.

Fireworks were cancelled in our county due to drought/fire. County next to us cancelled shortly after they started when a house went ablaze. OY…hope the air stays clean here.

Still planning on doing the copper river salmon tonight. Hope a lot of leftovers for tomorrow.

my swallow test update: Barium initial swallow went well, second swallow and the sphincter between
    stomach and esophagus wouldn't open.  Waited and waited...I said,  "did I
    break the machine again?" and nope...they had me lay down and the
    sphincter opened right away. I said, "that should mean no reflux,
    right?"  He laughed.  Had me take a very wide, flat, dry tablet about
    4-1/2 mm wide.  Went down perfectly. He said no strictures since the
    pill didn't get stuck. That is the limit on stricture definition and
    mine went through just fine.  I said, "so possible spasm?" and he said
    that is probably it. He didn't know if there were pills to fix that and I
    told him there were. He asked how I knew and I told him dr. google,
    LOL.

Not sure if I posted here…DH's second PSA after first Pluvicto treatment is down to 64! Great news. Still no idea why his gums are inflammed. Two dental appointments and teeth are great so they wonder if there's a patch of cancer in his skull that is hitting some nerves or a remnant of shingles he had on his cheek/neck when he first started this cancer journey.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,282
    Options

Illi, hoping it's just a blood vessel.

Wally, hope there's an innocent explanation for your DH's inflamed gums. (Could be a deep root canal problem—sometimes a regular X-ray doesn't show it).

Another round of storms blew through today. My HK opened the linen closet in what she'd thought was a dried-out basement…nope. Water gushed out—all plastic tubs were full. Her dryer is kaput—it was full of water, and all the clothes in it are ruined. The sofa down there is also toast—had to be dragged out into the alley. She was able to resurrect the water heater. Adjuster coming tomorrow morning, and put her on the restoration company's wait list. But at least today it didn't re-flood—unlike in Cicero, Berwyn & Oak Park. Viaducts never did dry out—east-west arterials still impassable. She hopes to be able to come in tomorrow—hope Heidi will greet her. The last time she saw Heidi was last Friday early afternoon, before Heidi started staying under the daybed. (She loves Heidi, whom she calls Big Mama, as much as or even more than I do—I can't bear for her to undergo yet another loss in a few short awful months).

Tonight's dinner was a throw-together: Greek salad with olives, olive oil, cuke & lettuces from farmers' mkt, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion and feta. Made the dressing with the oil-brine in which the olives are jarred. (The vendor's dad has a Kalamata grove in Sparta). Second course was reheated BBQ leftovers from last night. Will probably have some more berry shortcake, sour cherries on the side.

• wallycat
    Options

Sandy, thanks for the thought. It is uppers and lowers across 5-7 teeth on the areas. Sorry to hear about the flooding. I've had one massive flood when we lived in Wisconsin and thankfully, it never reached our house.

• carolehalston
    Options

Good news on swallowing test, Wally.

Yesterday I cooked a lb. of dry pinto beans, cheap brand from Walmart, in the slow cooker. Seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and small sprinkle of cayenne. No salt. They came out great. Plump and tender. I had planned taco salads for dinner but dh voted for chili since yesterday was in the 60's. The chili was delicious and so was a tossed salad with tender lettuce from the Farmers Market and other ingredients. A large container of chili leftovers.

I have never been a slow cooker user before but might be turning into one this summer. The slow cooker I'm using is mid sized and was a free item at Winn Dixie supermarket some years ago. I "won" it for being a regular customer and spending a certain amount on groceries at the local store. The lid clips shut for a tight closing. When it's hot without threat of rain, I set it outside on the deck.

It's in the 40's this morning and we're running the heat pump. Great sleeping last night.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Hi all - still working on the house getting ready to sell, but things are winding down a bit. We are now waiting on the new blinds, which had a hiccup - the gentleman who measured (mandatory if you want them to install) did a mix of inside and outside mount - on windows that you can see from each other - I specifically wanted all outside mount to cut the light as much as possible. When the huge oak was removed (termite damage) there is no block from the brutal afternoon sun - the sofa purchased in 2020 is totally sun bleached on the back, so I don't want that to happen to the new buyer. He had to come back and re-measure, but I was politely assertive so he came back the day after I called. Small victory yesterday - we worked on what seemed to be a clogged wall-mounted bathroom faucet that we were afraid was going to be a big plumbing bill and a mess because this faucet is on a shiplap wall. We removed the governor from the faucet - it was encrusted with lime build-up, and now it is working just fine. Yay! We did the new sink hook up ourselves too - DH sent the plumber away when he quoted $460 for a new pop up drain and sink connection. We did it ourselves for $70. Sheesh! Anyone who is looking for a lucrative vocation should consider becoming a plumber…

I cooked for the 4th - deviled eggs and veggies and ranch dip by the pool - 3 out of 4 of us were actually in the pool, lol! We grilled dogs, bratwurst, and ground brisket burgers. Accompanied by baked potato salad, Greek orzo salad, spicy baked beans with bacon and crushed pineapple, curried chicken and rice salad with chopped cashews. Dessert was cherry crumble pie with vanilla ice cream. I made a lot, sent food home with DD and beau, and still have enough to feed DH lunch this week. Trying to work smarter, not harder.

Interesting convo about school cafeterias - when I was in 6th grade I went early before school started and rolled the silverware in napkins in exchange for a free lunch - I have no idea why, but could have been because my mom needed to leave for work and it was something to do in a supervised setting before school started. I ate in the cafeteria a lot, but also came home for lunch too - the school was at the end of my cul-de-sac. In high school we could leave campus so sometimes we went and got fast food, but usually opted to eat in the cafeteria. My kids took their lunch for the most part, all the way through school.

auntie - sorry to hear you are still having pain, that stinks!

illimae - hoping you get decent news from your scan - crossing my fingers. Yay for a visit from BFF!

Hoping everyone can stay cool out there - it is very hot here, and very humid - typical FL summer. I hate it, don't do well, and my LE arm also hates it. I have wide excision skin cancer surgery coming up in three locations on my LE side shoulder next week - he will do the two furthest apart, remove the stitches in two weeks, then do the third spot same day. Hoping it doesn't cause a flare. This also means I have to be totally done with stuff at the house - this is my dominant arm. Bleh.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,035
    Options

Saw these today and thought of this thread, lol. A limited edition item and honest to Pete, I think they sell for a thousand bucks! Sheesh!

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

A thousand dollars for the purse? I might get one if I could pay with (Zimbabwe) ZWD$1000. The last I looked, at the official exchange rate, ZWD$1 was worth about 2/10 of a US cent. :-)

Beans. I've not used a slow cooker to do beans. We have a pressure cooker and that works out well. No planning as we can go from "we need to cook beans" to "the beans are ready" in less than an hour.

Special….I'll bet you're glad you're almost complete with the house sale. It is certainly quite the project.

About the only time I don't do "the trades" house work myself is when it's a HUGE project that insurance would cover…like Chi's HK's basement. Hopefully they can figure out how to keep it from happening again.

It sounds like there is a lot of good news on the medical front. Using a phrase from a friend, "that is most excellent".

And, Auntie, I too hope the MRI will give some indication of what to do to make things better.

I just got a new credit card……This is the third one is about 5 months. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the local gas pumps has some "extra hardware" in it that collects credit cards. I have things set up so I get a text message (and an email) anytime the card is used, so I can shut off the card if I see an unauthorized transaction. USAA has been very good, and fast, with regard to issuing a new card, but it's still a bit of a hassle. If the wireless internet coverage around here was better, I'd keep the card disabled until I need it, enable it, and then turn it off again.

• chisandy
    Options

This afternoon I came home after my mani-pedi and made flat-out lunch—hard to call it "brunch" at 3pm. Version of The Bear Boursin omelet: 2 eggs, chives snipped from the garden, few grinds of pink peppercorns cooked in unsalted butter. Boursin went in just before rolling it. Sprinkled some sea salt and shaved some of the remainder of the Aussie black truffle (same species as Perigord, but it's winter Down Under). Seems to last longer than the French ones, because in Australia they can culture them from spores. Went to the deck containers and noticed that yet another Cherokee Purple had matured and needed rescuing, but was veined and had what looked to be wormholes—nope, just superficial. Had it with garden basil, sea salt, EVOO (Spanish "Drizzle") and Villa Manodori balsamic. Insanely sweet.

Bob got home early but was stuffed to the gills—had a huge Mexican lunch this aft. I had to pay a shiva (condolence) call this evening (couldn't make the funeral). Had planned to stop off for stuff along the way (KFC, Krispy Krunchy Chicken or Boston Mkt.) but wanted to get home to make sure Heidi's ok. So I took the remainder of the Cherokee Purple (like a Brandywine but not black), sliced it up, dismembered a stick of string cheese which I put atop a toasted keto English muffin. Layered the tomato atop it, then basil, EVOO, oregano, garlic powder and red pepper flakes before nuking it; then sprinkled on some grated Parm I had lying around. Pretty darned good for a makeshift diet pizza. Accompanied it with a half-dozen blistered Shishito peppers. They say only 1 in 4 are hot. Well, one was definitely hot, but another was utter fuego. (Hottest green chiles I've had other than Hatch). Had to slice the rest open and strip out the seeds as a precaution.

More drenching rain predicted by our NBC station for overnight Fri. into Sat. morning. ABC guy says just fast-moving showers; NBC guy says likely a rerun of Sunday in the very same flooded areas, and to bring valuables up off the basement floor. Having PTSD (especially for my HK) with every weather report. Hope my flood control system works like it did last weekend. Gonna ask her if she wants to stay over tomorrow night and let her neighbor check on her basement.

Heidi has been coming upstairs periodically again—once to cool off on the wood floor by the A/C, another couple of times to nag for food. Still mostly on carpet under the daybed (she's not hiding, but likely finds it more secure and comfy since she can barely see now). Still emerges for food, water, litter duty and cuddles & brushing, She purred & purred for our HK, who fed & medicated her while I was at my appt.

• carolehalston
    Options

Frozen pizza cooked on the stone in the outdoor grill was dinner last night. Not memorable but served as dinner.

Leftover chili and salad tonight.

Not as cool this morning. In the 50's.

DH is watching Tour de France on tv. We love the scenery and admire the athletes on bicycles.

Good luck with the house sale, SpecialK. I hope your daughter appreciates all the effort her parents put into insuring her wellbeing.

• wallycat
    Options

We also had a frozen pizza last night; leftovers for lunch.

Salmon leftovers for dinner tonight.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

I had the wherewithal to actually fix a meal last night. I made pasta pommodoro using up Campari tomatoes that were languishing on the counter. It was delicious. I had intended to make chicken breasts to go with it but my stamina ran out. So it was a simple meal with pasta and bread.

Tonight is a grub hub meal - gyros and salad for me, steak and baked potato for dh.

• wallycat
    Options

Nance, nice to see you keep posting. I hope you continue to improve with the pain. We ended up grocery shopping so I purchased Maitake, Shiitake and Lion's Mane mushrooms, made into a "gravy/sauce" to put over the leftover salmon. YUM.

• illimae
    edited July 2023
    Options

The official report calls it “enhancement” but if it’s not growing or causing problems, I’m fine with it, it can just hang around. I was prepared for growth and another gamma knife procedure, so no news is good news.

Arrived home after 1am and tired all day, so dinner was a salad and leftover fried chicken from a stop along the way. No idea about the next couple of days, everything I can think of sounds meh.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,035
    Options

illimae, glad to hear the good news of no news, so to speak! May it stay that way! I also get like that sometimes, too, where everything I can think of to make food-wise sounds meh, including take out.

• illimae
    Options

Dinner ended up being fried Yukon gold potatoes and onions topped with cheddar and mozzarella. It was pretty tasty actually.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,094
    Options

I was excited that I'd planned Naan pizzas with my open bottle of Raos. Oops - the Naan was horribly moldy. So I did an about face and got salmon out of the freezer. Poached with white wine & dill and served with Brussels Sprouts and mashed potatoes. Tomorrow I will do a riff on Chicken Cacciatore with the Raos and a huge rotisserie chicken breast from the freezer

While I was at it, I took inventory of the freezer in the garage. While I have no intention of turning on the oven to cook the pork loin, there are a number of other things that I should use. So upcoming - pork with brandy cream sauce, garlic shrimp, Korean sliced beef, meatballs…. Since the forecast was just updated for an unusually active hurricane season, I don't want to get caught with my freezer full.

• chisandy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Illi, usually "enhancement" means it shows up more clearly on imaging. Quite a relief.

Last night we walked to Regalia, and I brought the owner the remainder of my Aussie black truffle. He had the chef make us gnocchi in white-truffle cream sauce and shaved it over the dish. Fortunately for my diet, the portions were modest (and the gnocchi were light & fluffy). We split a tuna carpaccio and then halibut piccata over Calabrian roast cauliflower. Owner sent over a cherry cheesecake (MI sour cherries) topped with housemade vanilla gelato. I let Bob have most of it. We were done by 7:45, and I had no further food last night, so the sugar wore off well before bedtime.

This aft., a repeat of the keto muffin Margherita pizza, this time with oregano as well as basil. We went out to Oda Mediterranean, a local place about a mile south for dinner. Turned out to specialize in Turkish & Georgian food (a Georgian family owns it). It was all I could do to resist ordering the khatchapuri (a bread "boat" filled with cheese and topped with an egg—I had it once in Jerusalem and I can still taste it). But I vowed to stay keto today. So we started with the house salad and a mixed "mezze" plate: the usual dolmades, hummus & babaghannouj but also a beet-pomegranate-yogurt salad, a spicy warm tomato & walnut relish, and a Georgian version of ratatouille. Bob's entree was a traditional chicken stew; I'd wanted the spatchcocked Cornish hen, but they were out of it so I got the lamb kabob over more hummus and a side salad. Hummus was like velvet, lamb was tenderest I've ever had. Finished eating before 9, no desire to eat anything after (I've discovered that if I have even a low-carb late-night snack, it opens the floodgates, so to speak).

• carolehalston
    Options

Last night we had our first fresh green beans of the summer with new potatoes, both bought at the Farmers Market yesterday morning. Delicious. Also simmered two cheese brats in chicken broth and then browned them in a bit of oil. Also good. I had intentions of slicing some Farmers Market cucumber for a salad but we had enough food without it.

I used to buy four brats for a meal. Then three. Now I see that two is enough. They're store made and a good size. I have simmered them in beer but it turned out to be a waste of beer. Some people cook them from start to finish on the grill but we haven't mastered that technique. In northern MN, it seems obligatory to eat brats occasionally.

Some friends from southern MN are in the area for a few days. In previous days they rented a site here in Pine Hollow Resort. We're meeting them for dinner tonight or late afternoon at Clancy's restaurant.

Sandy, you're so blessed to have the variety of good restaurants in walking distance. I could almost taste that silky hummus you described.

• chisandy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Carole, we've long since found that one brat per person is more than enough. Sometimes when making a choucroute I'll cut one in half, do the same to an 4-5" length of kielbasa, and a grass-fed beef hot dog if I have one. Fills the two of us up and then some. (For the kraut, I rinse and drain it, add it to a slice of bacon I've diced and rendered, and then put in a few juniper berries and a dash or two of caraway—if the kraut doesn't already have caraway). No buns necessary—just mustards (I put out Dijon, wholegrain and Gulden's). But I haven't started with uncooked brats or even breakfast sausages in years, as the process takes too long to make sure it's safe—don't want to dirty more than one pan as well.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

I was inspired by Carole’s slow cooker beans to make my own yesterday only to discover that the only ingredients I had on hand were some ham and an onion. So a trip to the store was in order to facilitate a dinner of ham and beans with cornbread. These beans were cooked in the pressure cooker not only because I frittered the day away tracking down the ingredients, but also due to the fact that the slow cooker resides in the basement storage area and the pressure cooker does not. Anyway, they were very tasty and satisfying on an unusually coolish July day.

I envy all the homegrown produce. I dearly miss my garden, especially the green beans and tomatoes and squash. We’ve been fairly unsuccessful container gardening here. There are some produce stands nearby that I plan to visit this week. There’s also a farmers market in my neighborhood on Saturdays but it’s so spread out that I haven’t been able to walk it.

Tonight is pizza night. It’s not yet determined if it’s to be homemade or carry out.

• chisandy
    Options

Went to brunch at Big Jones this afternoon. I had a maiitake & goat cheese omelet with local greenhouse butter lettuce (the indoor urban farm is on the South Side in an otherwise disinvested neighborhood) and took half of it home; Bob had a Benedict in popovers rather than on the usual English muffins. After we played tourist (took the Chicago River architecture cruise), we snacked on draft cider, crudites & hummus at the Northman Beer & Cider Tavern along the Riverwalk. Then we walked to State St., up the stairs and across to McCormick & Schmick for a light dinner: raw oysters & a cup of excellent lobster bisque. Will exercise discipline again tonight (hopefully).

Farmers' mkt tomorrow: Bob wants empanadas, and I will get rib tips from the Soul & Smoke truck (assuming it's there). Also green beans and maybe a poblano or two. We had our first squirrel-tomato theft overnight. So I picked everything with the slightest tinge of red!

Tuesday's Hooked on Fish order will be Arctic char and some crawfish mac & cheese for Bob. Probably will be able to grill the fish on cedar planks, so as not to gross out my HK when she comes in Wed. morning.

• carolehalston
    Options

I had the special at Clancy's last night, chicken and ribs, salad bar and baked potato. DH opted to share my meal without consulting with me in advance! He had the salad bar and an order of onion rings. The latter turned out to be not freshly made. I gave him the small helping of barbecued ribs and thoroughly enjoyed two pieces of dark meat broasted chicken. It was my first broasted chicken of the summer, crispy browned skin and delicious. Better than our southern deep fried chicken, in my opinion.

I had heard a couple of criticisms of Clancy's broasted chicken, that it wasn't as good as it had been in previous summers, but I had no complaints.

• carolehalston
    Options

I forgot to mention that I found really nice eggplants yesterday at Walmart. I bought three, two for making eggplant lasagna and one for slicing and cooking on the grill. But there was not a single jar of Raos on the shelf to provide the tomato sauce for the lasagna. I bought a jar of the Walmart brand as a substitute. I know that I don't like the "off" taste of the popular brands like Prego. It's interesting to me that Rao's is so popular with Walmart shoppers. It has moved from a top shelf to an eye level shelf and is given a generous space.

I'll taste the substitute marina and possibly have to make my own sauce.

• wallycat
    edited July 2023
    Options

Mushroom, shrimp risotto last night.

I wish we had a walmart closer to us.

My cat has not been eating; no food yesterday and a tiny bite this morning. I am fearing the worst. We head back to Seattle for DH's second infusion of Pluvicto on Monday. At least the temps are predicted to be "only" 75. May park on Bainbridge Island and foot ferry to seattle. Glad we are not going this week with stupid sports fields gunking up traffic.

• chisandy
    Options

Wally, fingers crossed that your kitty bounces back—Heidi has had episodes like that. She eats only a teaspoon at a time, but snarfs up her kibble overnight (she seems to get as much as the bag's directions indicate for an active 9-pounder, and she's not at all "active"). Ask your vet about an appetite-stimulant transdermal gel if she refuses to eat. Hill's makes an ultra-high-calorie Rx wet food called "a/d" for inappetant cats; it kept Happy going for as long as he was able to keep it "down & In." Hugs.

Carole, I find few foods as disgusting as stale deep-fried stuff—especially soggy when nuked. We don't get broasted chicken around here, but we do have rotisserie chickens daily. Does Amazon Fresh deliver as far north as your RV resort? I know Whole Foods stocks Rao's, and they are Amazon-owned. I take it there's no Costco located anywhere near you.

For brunch today I nuked the other half of yesterday's omelette, and toasted two very thin slices of wholegrain sourdough. Scored a nice haul at the farmers' market today. Zucchini & yellow squash, green beans, first MI apricots of the season; dark roast Anticonquista coffee (roasted on Fri); an 81% dark chocolate sea salt bar from the Naked Truffle guys; an order of rib tips to supplement Sat. night's leftovers; and a couple of empanadas for Bob to take to lunch tomorrow (or sneak downstairs to nuke & eat at 2am). The leftover salad got really soggy, but it'll sauté nicely; and I can do a Caprese too (sadly, we lost a 'mater this week to a squirrel). Keeping a close eye on our plants—the "victim" was the last Cherokee Purple, and we have a couple of beefsteak slicers on the vine. One is almost ripe—will "rescue" it tonight; two are light orange right now. Might put those green plastic mesh wine bottle sleeves over them.

• wallycat
    Options

Sandy, no luck with our boy (BB) eating anything today. Heartbreaking. Appreciate the well wishes.

I made a shrimp egg foo young but as a frittata so no frying and super easy. Made the gravy but never thickened well…still good.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Wally,…..Hoping your kitty starts eating again.