Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    Options

Wally - Hope tomorrow goes well. Holding you in our thoughts. No worries about "flat" walking in Houston. But it means I can't keep up with my son or friends along the Pacific coast. Nor with friends in New Mexico.

Nance - sorry to hear about spinal & disc pain. UGH. Glad you are taking it easy on standing to cook.

Reader - I usually find Costco's meat excellent. That reminds me, I have two strip steaks in the freezer.

Carole - I can't even imagine opening a window - and a blanket!!! But then you know what our heat & humidity are like.

Thanks for all the pasta salad tips. I do like pasta salad but never make it. I cut out a recipe for slaw with carrots and apples. Beautiful Rainbow!!

I have continued walking. This was day 8 of two brisk hours every morning. I sure didn't want to go this morning, but maybe if I pass 10 days, I'll keep going. With everything else going on, meals have been sparse. One day was a hot dog. Several days were large salads. One day was cheerios with a banana. Today I had 1/2 a bag of Ruffles for an appetizer. Dinner will be an avocado that is about to turn. I'm thinking of filling it with tuna salad. I also have some spinach I must use. Could be some weird combinations.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

Minus, thanks for the good wishes. I have to say, the mere mention of Ruffles and my heroine jonesing has begun. Maybe I deserve a bag o chips post procedure.

We hit 59 as a high today. Life as it should be out here…not to last, no doubt. There's still July and august—curses!

I made potato salad with QFC's potato medley (red, yukon, blue) and will add a pound of Oregon baby shrimp into the mix. hope I'm hungry tomorrow.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

In your Pocket tomorrow Wally. Eat that bag of chips!

Cheese and onion omelette tonight.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 845
    Options

Thinking of you Wally. I've had about six endoscopies ( due to an autoimmune disorder) and am always nervous. Hoping it's a " good sleep" and nothing more.

Minus good for the start back to walking. It takes time to get into a good rhythm or routine.

Dinner was cheeseburgers and more of that pasta salad.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,060
    Options

Hi Wally…I hope it all goes well tomorrow and the report has only "unremarkable" for describing things.

Nance, sorry to hear about the back pain. I haven't decided if back, ear or teeth pain is the worst.

Dinner tonight is vegan quesadillas.

I've been running 3-4 miles every other day. I end up right where I started and I know better, but it sure seems, there are far more uphills than downhills. :-) Sharon walks 3 miles most every day. Each night our dog takes us on his nighttime walk and that's usually a mile, often 2 miles and sometimes 3 miles. It's not too bad for a dog that will be 13 years old in August.

The weather here is nice. Around 80F/27C for high temperatures and around 45F/7C for low temperatures.

We put the camper on the truck and pulled it into the garage. It fits, so I didn't have a problem with tape measures that "stretched". :-)

• wallycat
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks all; the procedure was an hour delay. 4 biopsies so I am doubly scared. And they want a swallow study.

Made potato/shrimp salad and can't eat it till tomorrow. DH will have a nice dinner. I had a scrambled egg with cream and ice cream.

• minustwo
    Options

Wally - UGH - but still hope it's 'unremarkable'. I love seeing your temps at 59, and Eric's at 80. It was 95 here today.

Today's meal was a full bag of spinach (stems removed) steamed with two lightly fried eggs on top. Easy & good.

I made a fruit salad this afternoon since I had a banana & an apple to use. I added canned mandarin oranges since I didn't have a real one. Also added pineapple tidbits, Royal Anne golden cherries, coconut and tiny marshmallows. I stirred in sour cream & it will sit in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow will be the 2nd half of an avocado with tuna salad on top. Or maybe the leftover fried rice I took out of the freezer.

• wallycat
    Options

Minus, thanks for the good wishes. We just hit 77 and thankfully, I mowed the backyard when it was still 72. Still felt mighty hot. It will be 58 tomorrow. whew…I know, I know…July and August are around the corner.

I have not received a call from the doctor yet, but from what I saw on myChart, I think I'm in the clear. Gastritis irritation and silent reflux (I say silent because I have none of the symptoms 99% of the
    time). No mention of Barrett's. Interestingly the gastric cells in the upper esophagus are called "inlets," I think, and are a congenital thing. We'll see how the swallow challenge goes.

Frozen pizza with slaw.

• minustwo
    Options

Sunday was the leftover fried rice. I added cooked beef from the freezer, first cutting it in to tiny strips and then warming/softening in a small amount of Mirin. Interesting taste variation. Today was tuna on pumpernickel bread with half a sliced avocado.. Tomorrow - more fruit salad.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,826
    Options

Saturday's main meal was at 2 pm on our return from the Farmers Market. A potluck dubbed Italian. Brian provided lasagna and bowtie pasta in a cream sauce. The lasagna was delicious. There was Caesar salad from a bag kit, broccoli salad, French bread. I bought fruit bars at the Market and they were a hit, blueberry, raspberry and rhubarb.

Sunday night's meal was a small beef roast and veggies cooked in the crock pot.

Last night was a different Rao's, roasted garlic, with Italian sausage and linguine out of the freezer. Our regular marinara wasn't available and I had to make a substitution. DH didn't say anything but didn't eat all of his serving. I silently agree that I like the marinara better. Our salad was wonderful, made with butter lettuce I bought at the Farmer's Market, plus favorite additions.

Tonight may be a frozen pizza cooked on the outdoor grill/substitute oven using the pizza stone we bought last summer.

I bought new plates and bowls this winter and finally got around yesterday to replacing the old with the new.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Hi all - I am behind again, had a visit from my SILs who live in NC and then went across the state to see an old fam friend of theirs (BFF of MIL) that is the last one standing of all the circle of friends - she is doing very well at 93. We all went out for an Italian dinner at a restaurant near where my DH and his sibs grew up (I had spinach ravioli), and we took a tour of the old neighborhood. We then went north up the east coast to see the youngest brother - who is a vet. Got a fun tour of his hospital and had a nice lunch on the water in Jupiter before driving back home. In addition, DD has been moving out of the house downtown and I am in prep mode to do some clean up, repairs, painting, and staging to list it for sale.

Meals have included steak kabobs on the grill - I have been buying top sirloin, cutting it into generous cubes and marinating in Worchestershire and Fiesta Fajita seasoning (from Texas!) then putting on wooden skewers with red onion and peppers. It comes out quite tender and yummy. We had a Caesar salad and taco potatoes, which are cut up russets tossed with taco seasoning and olive oil and roasted. I made a chocolate and Kahlua sour cream cake with chocolate glaze for dessert, and a cinnamon coffee cake with fruit salad as well for one breakfast while my SILs were here. Last night was a pork tenderloin, roasted broccoli and sweet potato. Tonight I will use the leftover pork tenderloin and make mashed potatoes and a mushroom cream gravy and have some green beans with lemon pepper and dill.

auntie - sorry about the sciatic back pain and disc issues, that stinks! I have three degenerated ones in the lumbar and have periodic bad days, but my sciatic is not involved. I have had issues with that previously though and it hurts! Interestingly, mine was exacerbated by the car I was driving. I got a new one that had a more adjustable seat and I was able to lose that pain - this was at the point when my kids were in high school but not yet driving and I feel like I lived in the car.

wally - I am a veteran of several endoscopies and eventually a Nissen surgery in '95 to correct a gaping GE junction and hiatal hernia. This all came to light after I aspirated a caustic antibiotic and it burned my esophagus. I also had kind of silent reflux, which expressed itself as sharp chest pain, rather than heartburn. I was experiencing esophageal spasms and it made the investigation center on the heart, which was normal. Wasn't until that aspiration that they did a barium swallow and the bad junction came to light immediately. Hoping you can get this resolved, it is indeed no fun, but glad to hear that Barrett's is not happening. I found the barium swallow to be a pretty easy test, as far as tests go. Worst part for me was the chalky tasting stuff.

I also love pasta salad, and how funny that I just made some and used a random Good Seasons packet for Zesty Italian that was loitering in my little basket of mixes. I usually add broccoli, red or green onion, shredded carrot, chopped peppers, and olives - and usually use fusilli pasta. I make a bunch and send it for lunches for DH at work - sometimes add leftover cooked chicken, steak, or shrimp on top of his.

• carolehalston
    Options

SpecialK, glad you checked in and caught us up with your busy life.

Our frozen pizza was good last night. I put the pizza stone in the middle of the gas grill and we heated it up for at least 30 minutes. Then cooked the pizza on the stone. A winner technique.

Tonight will be leftover pasta. I'll add some canned tomatoes to temper the garlicky flavor of the Raos. As always I will add quite a bit of grated cheese to my portion.

Thinking of you, Nance, and hoping you're experiencing less pain. Also thinking of you and your dh, Wally, as you navigate his treatment and your tests.

Hope things are good with everyone else not mentioned.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    Options

minustwo, your fruit salad sounds yummy, and carole, what great way to cook a frozen pizza!

SpecialK, your chocolate and Kahlua sour creme cake sounds heavenly. Funny that you mention steak kabobs. Dh and I went to Texas Roadhouse last weekend and that’s what I got, it comes with chunks of peppers and is served over rice. It was really good and your simple recipe for them makes me want to try making them at home. On Monday, dh and I put shrimp wrapped in bacon on skewers with large pepper chunks and had rice on the side and it too was quite good. I’m not a big fan of bacon but like it with the shrimp.

• wallycat
    Options

Special, yikes. I marvel how much medicine can patch us back together and marvel how many small things can go wrong with us that alter our lives, besides cancer.

DH's dental appointment was ok. He has great teeth. The second opinion guy suspects some kind of neurological issue, possibly cancer in his spine pushing on the nerves that affect the jaw/dental area and it has caused the inflammation. He is slowly improving. I worry about injection #2.

Copper River sockeye tonight. LOOVE that fish. We were at costco yesterday and they actually had it there. I'm used to seeing it in May but I suspect climate change/weather/temps made fishing better in June. So this is my belated b-day dinner to myself for myself. I'm making a pot of white beans and we'll have some slaw. I hope there are fish leftovers and I'll make broccoli and sweet potato for the sides then.

Everyone's food sounds so delicious!!

• carolehalston
    Options

Ribeye tonight with grilled eggplant slices and zucchini slices.

The leftover pasta dish with Rao's garlicky sauce was definitely more palatable with a can of diced tomatoes. I am loving our salads made with butter lettuce from the Farmers Market.

• eric95us
    Options

We're camping with friends in Durango. We had a late lunch, so probably no dinner except for the sourdough

• eric95us
    Options

Oops...baked sourdough tonight in the camper

• eric95us
    Options

Oops...baked sourdough tonight in the camper

• wallycat
    Options

Leftover copper river with steamed broccoli and the leftover beans.

• carolehalston
    Options

Tonight's dinner will be pork roast, stuffed with chopped green onions, garlic, and cayenne pepper, cooked in the slow cooker.

Last night's ribeye and grilled veggies were tasty.

• wallycat
    Options

Mac 'n Cheese tonight.

• minustwo
    Options

101 degrees here in the shade of the North covered patio that never gets sun. Second day in a row with tomorrow scheduled for 102. It's not dropping below 82 at nights. I'm trying diligently to complete my two hour walk before it reaches 90 so I will still have a very hot hour to work in the yard. Today was already 92 today when I got home so I cut my yard chores short. At least I got my chain saw fixed so was able to cut the heavy old landscape timbers into thirds. Much easier to carry them out to the front tomorrow for heavy trash pick up.

I'm working on emptying my fridge & freezer before I shop again. (not to mention that it's too hot to eat). Yesterday was a tuna sandwich on pumpernickel. Today was a the last hot dog. Tomorrow will be the last package of Yakisoba. I thought I had a couple of NY steaks left in the freezer, but apparently I'd already cooked those. I did take out some frozen rotisserie chicken breasts & will do something exciting on Sunday - that will NOT involve ovens. So maybe a brandy cream sauce over wild rice? Or maybe Raos with mushrooms & onions?

Eric - I'm jealous that you're in Colorado. Years ago we took the Silverton/Durango narrow gauge train. Can't remember if I liked the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge train better from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO.

Carole - thanks for the review on the Raos Garlic. I think I'll pass.

• eric95us
    Options

• eric95us
    edited June 2023
    Options

That's weird. I made a post, but it came up blank.

And no 2nd line.

We rode the Durango -Silverto train today

• wallycat
    edited June 2023
    Options

Leftover mac n cheese. I've got a no-knead dough ball from einkorn I started yesterday. I'll experiment making a pizza crust with it…sausage, mushroom, onion, for tomorrow.

• minustwo
    Options

Delicious toss together meal - sauteed onion & mushrooms in butter w/rosemary, added heavy cream then slices from a rotisserie chicken breast & simmered. Served over Brown Rice & Quinoa (90 seconds in the micro) with some Olathe Corn - last year's crop from the freezer.

Only 99 today. Positively balmy (LOL). Walked 2 hours before 9am and then went to water aerobics at 10am. Forced myself to gather all the bills, transfer funds & schedule payments. It feels like a really successful afternoon.

• carolehalston
    Options

I bought golden beets and cucumbers at the Farmers Market yesterday. Both were/are delicious. The beets are so sweet. The cucumbers, long English style, tasted like cucumber. Warmed up pork roast and small boiled potatoes (sadly, not new potatoes) rounded out the meal.

I thought the Farmers Market would be a dud for us. The weather was damp and chilly, with occasional drizzly rain. But people came and seemed undaunted by the weather. We made enough sales to justify our efforts in setting up and taking down. One nice woman came to buy a bowl for her husband's father's day present. She said he loved dh's bowls so apparently he came by our booth when he was at the market. Another woman had been admiring the bowls and made up her mind she had to buy one. She bought two.

No menu for tonight. Yet.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    Options

So glad your efforts were worth it at Farmers Market, carole! Sounds like your husband’s bowls were a hit!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just checking in—too much life happening, keeping me to just one thread ("older than 60") lest I never leave my computer. I'm mostly OK, albeit frazzled.

HK's DH passed away May 24 (peacefully from kidney failure while she was down in AL for her DGD's graduation), funeral was June 1, and she returned June 7. She'd started vacation May 20. Even with only one geriatric kitty to care for (we had to put Happy, 15-1/2, down Feb. 28 due to IBD that became lymphoma and then kidney failure), it was an "adventure" coping with this big house. Just decluttering enough to make necessary safety repairs and possibly stage it for sale so we can downsize would take months.

I fell Wed. at Bloomie's when my rubber sole stuck (like a suction cup) to the polished marble floor and I pitched forward, breaking my R elbow, bruising the heel of my hand (causing ulnar nerve entrapment with numb pinky & ring fingers), lacerating my palm on my Pandora charms, and bruising but not breaking my R hip. Not a "fragility fracture" (a fall onto a hard floor like that would have broken even a strong bone), but still a reminder of my advancing age—and the need to retrain my gait from occasional "shuffle" to heel-toe.

Dinners? Mixture of dining out & cooking (scratch & leftovers). Last night was leftover Costco chicken, snap peas, grilled polenta. Diet has gone to hell in a handbasket—especially at night—due to comfort-eating.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    Options