Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Dinner will be tamales leftover from lunch and chips and queso that I was craving and ordered to go from a nearby restaurant. Has anyone every seen this for liquids, instead of a disposable bowl or cup? Weird but the queso is really good.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Wally, I would like your chicken cassoulet recipe.

Yum, Mae.

I have chicken legs and thighs, 2 of each, breaded with Italian seasoned bread crumbs, ready to be cooked in the grill in an aluminum foil pan. A shake and bake method.

I was out and about in the little town of Walker today at lunchtime and stopped in at Pig Barbecue where I had a brisket sandwich. The brisket was thick sliced and tender. I sampled the barbecue sauce in a squeeze bottle on the table and liked its consistency, not thick, and taste, not sweet. I do like brisket, my favorite meat to order at a barbecue place.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,067
    Options

Dinner tonight will likely be fish tacos, or the leftover chicken-jasmine rice dish.

The oven is currently 'engaged' proofing sourdough bread. First is the "sponge", then the kneading, followed by the first rise Then there is putting into loaf pans and the 2nd rise, and finally, baking. Right now it's in the 2nd rise stage.

I'm also cooking some rice and black beans…it goes into the refrigerator and gets used as a sort of snack food.

Sharon is almost done with a computer cyber-security class. It's normally a semester (16 week) class that, over the summer is squeezed into five weeks, so it's keeping her busy.

The doctor called with my cholesterol blood test results and he is pleased with the results. The 10mg atorvastatin each day, and diet changes, brought the LDL from 128 to 62. So things are looking good there. I started at the 128, three months later, it was 90 and three months after that it's 62. He wants me to come in again in three months, so I'm guessing he wants to see where the LDL levels out.

'Mae, that looks good. I still think you should become a food photographer for a foodie magazine. :-)

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Mae, is that just laminated foil lining the styrofoam queso container? Looks pretty effective—maybe recyclable even though the styrofoam isn't (at least not in Chicago).

Brunch was guacamole toast on multigrain sourdough, topped with cilantro. minced shallot, chopped tomato and an EVOO-fried egg. For dinner, nuked leftover Costco chicken, steamed broccolini with EVOO and lemon, and mixed mushrooms (crimini, oyster, trumpet, maiitake) sauteed in butter and madeira.

Struck out at farmers' market today. Second week in a row, no Soul & Smoke BBQ truck. Was looking for eggplant, which was in abundance last week but nowhere to be found today at any of the three farmstands. No strawberries either—season is over in the Great Lakes area. Did get Bob his tamales & empanadas; and Montelimar bakery had a 2-fer special on sourdough (I got my usual wholegrain plus a rosemary-olive). I didn't go for any of the pastries, as the yellowjackets were swarming.

Tomorrow I will be picking up branzino & Icelandic cod loin at Hooked on Fish.

• carolehalston
    Options

The baked chicken last night was good. So was a huge salad with farmers market tomato and cucumber. Also avocado, blue cheese, sweet onion for dh, and chopped romaine base.

I thawed a pork roast overnight and will stuff it with chopped green onion, garlic and cayenne. Into the slow cooker which will be set up out on the deck.

The heat has reached us, also the smoke from Canada, so the a/c units in the 5th wheel will be rumbling.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,273
    Options

No idea what dinner will be tonight. Possibly a frozen pizza. It is glorious out…56 and overcast. For the first time in nearly 7 years, we had a real rain in July. SO nice.

Carole, my "recipe" (I concocted it off the top of my head) is not authentic. I soaked some navy beans. (about 1 cup because they triple in size). The next day, I drain them (I realize you can cook dried beans without soaking but I find they cook more evenly when I do) and cook them for 1 hour in chicken broth/stock (1 can plus a little water to rinse the can out). After an hour, I add cloves of garlic, thyme and cook another hour. In theory, the beans are done but I give myself more time since I went them melt-in-mouth-creamy. After the second hour, I add onion, carrots, 1/2 head of cabbage and any powdered spices…onion powder and garlic powder and some salt. Cook another hour. I season the drumsticks (would have preferred thighs) with salt/pepper/onion-garlic powders and let sit for an hour. Those go in the last hour on a light simmer along with a 1-2 TBS of tomato paste, which I stir in before nestling the chicken. In 45 minutes, it's a meal.

• chisandy
    Options

AQI is currently "unhealthy for sensitive groups." Hazy, warm—tomorrow will be downright hot but also stormy. (Bet my HK, who had to take today off to get some basement appliance repair/delivery done) won't be able to make it in tomorrow—best case scenario is that she doesn't flood again. She also has to take her BFF in for cataract surgery Friday.

Will likely make branzino en papillote with veg. & herbs for dinner.

• carolehalston
    Options

Thanks, Wally.

The stuffed pork roast cooked in the slow cooker was delicious. So was the mashed potato salad and tomato and cucumber salad.

Tonight I will probably put barbecue sauce on the leftover pork. It will be hot again today so I will avoid indoor cooking.

• chisandy
    Options

Well, didn’t cook last night, as I had to drive down to Union Health and ferry a spare car key fob to Bob, who mislaid his. (Security found it this morning and is holding it). We were both tired, so took the path of last resistance: he had the tamales I bought at the farmers’ market and I nuked some more leftover chicken, toasted a thin slice of whole grain sourdough, had half a tomato and some keto vanilla ice cream for dessert (with honey for my throat). Abx finally kicking in and I feel much better today.

Brunch was avocado toast on that sourdough, topped with an egg. Will do the branzino tonight.

Meanwhile, beginning the data migration between the old & new Macs (Apple suggests doing it, then bringing the new one in for dx if there are problems). Typing this on an iPad.

• aussie12
    aussie12 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Hi all

I haven't commented for ages as I've been in hospital again 3 times in 6 weeks with bowel obstructions. Unfortunately my cancer has spread and nothing more can be done.

I may only have a few months left. I am getting lots of support with family and friends and a great company that does pallative care. It's a bit of a shock but I think it's been building up for about a year like when I lost lots of weight and my appetite.

I am now on a diet of soup, custard, ice-cream, basically liquid which won't obstruct my bowel.

I'll keep looking at this site when well enough as I love reading all your stories.

Aussie12 real name Carol.💙💛💙💛

• chisandy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Oh, (((Carol)))! Holding you in our hearts from the other side of the world. May you find as much comfort as possible and gather the love from your family and friends (R/L and virtual).

Had to have the Apple Store do the data migration between old & new computers because Migration Assistant kept hanging. Lunch yesterday was an egg & avocado toast. Dinner was branzino en papillote with herbs (homegrown parsley, oregano and basil and store-bought tarragon & dill) with lemon juice and olive oil. Nuked for 90 seconds (!) and came out perfect. Accompanied by a Caprese (homegrown tomato & basil and store-bought mozzarella) and sautéed julienne tricolor bell peppers. Tonight, since HK won’t be in tomorrow to object to the smell, I will pan-sear cod loin. (Will root around in the fridge for a tub of miso in which to marinate it with mirin). Blistered shishitos and a Caesar salad will be the likely accompaniments.

Had a bit of excitement early this morning. In between Bob leaving for work at 6:30am and our HK arriving at 10, a huge limb from our honey-locust tree fell and crashed across our deck. Amazingly, nothing was damaged. (We may go up into the attic and see if it damaged our gutter). Weather overnight was warm but tranquil—thinking that it may have been weakened by yesterday morning’s storm and then gravity did its thing. Our landscaper will have a lot of free mulch when he puts it through the chipper.

• chisandy
    Options

Apple Store did the data migration overnight! My trade-in more than paid for a new portable backup hard drive.

Lunch was half a bagel & schmear with lox, onion, tomato, dill & capers. (Bob had the other half when he got home). Dinner was pan-seared miso/mirin marinated cod loin, and a stir-fry of sugar-snap peas and orange bell peppers, plus nuked brown rice with shiitake mushrooms. Dessert was a piece of ChocoNuvo 91% dark chocolate.

• carolehalston
    Options

We had lunch out yesterday so I wasn't particularly interested in cooking or eating dinner. To make matters worse, we took our martini cocktails over to Mary's deck where the happy hour fare was a couple of pizzas from Clancy's that Mary and Lyman and another couple were having for their supper.

Dinner for us was linguine out of the freezer with Rao's and Italian sausage, also out of the freezer. Grated parm/reg. No sides.

Tonight is food truck fare provided by Leslie and Dave, weekenders who are re-doing their wedding vows tomorrow at a big shindig over at Vacationaire Resort/Clancy's Restaurant. Anyone here in Pine Hollow Resort is invited to eat tonight and stay for karaoke at Wayne and Laurie's site, which is next to Leslie and Dave's. DH and I aren't clear on how many people will be here for the meal and socializing. Enough that two portable toilets were brought in so that guests didn't have to use camper toilets.

So I won't be cooking tonight. The food truck fare is more to dh's liking than mine, pulled pork and side dishes, probably beans and potato salad. I don't like shredded meat. I prefer mine sliced. And I'm not a fan of typical sweet heavy barbecue sauce. Still, not cooking is good.

No cooking tomorrow night either since we're invited to the event over at Vacationaire.

The forecast for today is less intense heat and even better tomorrow, just in time for the market.

• wallycat
    Options

2 nights of frozen pizza; nachos last night. Tonight I will bake buttermilk marinated chicken hindquarters with sweet potatoes and try to find some green veg for sides.

Aussie, may your days here be comfortable and your journey safe and good. My heart is with you and words fail me.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Aussie - so sorry to hear your cancer has spread. Glad that you have a good support team. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Wednesday was free lunch at one of the 5 restaurants in high rise senior place that is trying to drum up business. Delicious Mediterranean 12 course "small plates". My favorite was scallops in a brandy cream sauce & second was panna cotta with mango reduction sauce on top - although the Nicoise salad was also delicious. I was still stuffed at bed time. Their living arrangements & amenities look lovely (including 5 restaurants) & the transition from independent living to assisted living to memory care appears easy, but I'll stay in my little house as long as possible.

Yesterday I met my "other son" who's in town from Panama for some Astro's games. We ate at El Tiempo Cantina - great food but a bit pricey for Tex-Mex. I didn't remember in time that tequila doesn't like me, so finished a 2nd margarita while we were visiting. Paid the price last night with a never-ending headache. I know I should quit with one or just stick with gin & tonic in the first place. Stayed up most of the night reading "The Last Thing He Told Me".

Still trying to clean my freezer. Today was Yakisoba. And 3 hours of trying to slow water my tree so it doesn't die in this heat. Nothing much left to be done for what's left of the brown & burned up lawns.

• eric95us
    Options

Aussie/Carol….. hugs…..

Eric

• chisandy
    Options

How does that old saying ago: "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor?"

Lunch was a grilled cheddar & tomato sandwich on keto 7-seed bread. (A guiltless guilty pleasure). We then went to the Advocate Christ Hospital's annual White Sox party/indoor picnic—free to staff member +1 guest, and all kids under 3' tall. It was the first one they've held since 2019, and I don't recall so many young (and large) families back then. We were clearly the oldest fogeys there—as Bob's contemporaries have either retired, are recuperating from health crises, or baseball's not their thing.

The buffet was not up to past standards: potato chips, hot dogs, wraps, sandwiches, Greek salad. No burgers, nachos or Italian beef as in the past. The desserts were platters of cookies (chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin), nut-free brownies, and fresh fruit (melon, pineapple, berries). As soon as each new fruit platter was put out, people descended on it, piling fruit high on the dinner, not dessert, plates. Instead of the make-your-own sundae bar they used to have, waitstaff went around with baskets of off-brand undersized ice-cream novelties (sandwiches, cones, eclair bars—I had one of the latter, but Good Humor it wasn't). Pretzels & popcorn but no nuts or CrackerJack (not even individual packets—allergies have reared their ugly heads.

I did have a quarter of a brownie and the parts of a cookie that had the chocolate chips. (I spurned the savory carbs to make room for the sweet cheats—sounds morbid, but what if I can no longer eat after ONJ treatment)? One upside was that the brownie & cookie were so good that once we got home I was not tempted to cheat, as nothing in my kitchen can compare so why waste the no-nos?

We will probably go to brunch tomorrow and maybe out for steak tomorrow night. (Bob's working Sunday).

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Oh Aussie - tough news. Sending you lots of caring and comforting thoughts.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Yesterday was DH’s sister’s funeral. A sad day but it was good to see all the family. I don’t have much family left so I appreciate DH’s much larger clan. It made it to 102 yesterday and we had a two hour drive each way. It was a long, hot day so dinner ended up being fast food hamburgers. Not my favorite but anything sounded better than cooking.

A scorcher again today but we’re having taco salads, the meat portion I made earlier today before it got too hot. I don’t think I’ll be doing any more cooking while this heat wave lingers. I can live on ice cream.

Stay cool my friends.

• illimae
    Options

Seafood Saturday was a seared tuna steak and a large side of broccoli. Dessert was a slice of frosted marble cake.

• chisandy
    Options

Weather was much improved today, after a "frog-strangler/goose-drownder" of a storm last night. Basements (mine & HK's) held up. We did lose a couple more small honey-locust branches (and a squirrel pounced on a green tomato the winds knocked loose). At the rate we're going, we're not growing tomatoes so much as we're squirrel-ranchers. And the rabbits got our parsley.

Didn't go to brunch today, as we both slept in till Heidi got us up to feed her. I didn't have lunch till 3: sardines & cherry tomatoes over arugula, with a thin slice of artisanal wholegrain sourdough toast & butter. For dinner, we tried a (relatively) new place in Evanston: LeTour. It's a combination French/Moroccan brasserie. We shared an eggplant & chickpea salad, scallop ceviche, and steak frites (I had carrots and let Bob have the spuds). For dessert, we shared an apricot "financier" (made with almond flour) topped with whipped crème frâiche. Better to have an awesome dessert out that nothing in the house can duplicate, which makes late-night cheating pointless and unsatisfying.

I will have some of that steak tomorrow with a fried or boiled egg for brunch. (Bob's working).

• carolehalston
    Options

Carol, I wish I had words that would help. "I'm sorry" is so inadequate. Hugs for comfort.

• carolehalston
    Options

It's back to cooking tonight after two nights of free meals. Friday night was the food truck fare provided by Leslie and Dave as part of their wedding re-do celebration. Pulled pork with two different barbecue sauces, one spicy. Beans, pasta salad, cheesy potatoes. I skipped the beans.

Last night was a wedding dinner buffet at Clancy's Restaurant with my much-liked broasted chicken and barbecued ribs, which are also tasty. Baked potatoes, corn, rolls. I skipped the corn and the roll.

Tonight we have to deal with some of the food crammed into the refrigerator including corn on the cob and green beans. A big ribeye in the freezer might emerge as the easy meat selection.

Minus, that retirement place sounds very upscale. The food was certainly enticing. I'm looking forward to a top shelf margarita on Wednesday when we meet a couple, farmers market vendor neighbors, at the Mexican restaurant in Park Rapids.

• wallycat
    Options

I'm making a corn kernel with polenta, kale, cheese "pudding" for tonight. I've made this before and DH loves it.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Tonight was a large salad. Unfortunately it was too late to save the last of the fresh mushrooms, but I added cucumber, black olives, tomato & radishes. I still have shrimp fried rice on my upcoming list. Maybe tomorrow, but… Three days a week I'm going to water aerobics at the neighborhood pool. That means I really need to eat dinner by 4pm and I can't get really excited about cooking at 2 or 3pm.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

Tonight DH grilled chicken and I fixed corn on the cob and sauted all the veg I had around that needed it. ( squash, zucchini, onion, tomato, basil). Our tomatos are doing well and ( so far, Sandy) with no snatching going on.

It has gotten cooler here. We are soon moving to coastal Carolina so the warmth will continue. Being able to swim many days, more of the year will be great for my Arthritisetc.. And the humidity can't be worse than DC has been for 40 years!

• chisandy
    Options

We lost yet another tomato—this time all-green, bitten right through the plastic netting we put over it. At this point we're going to have to pick them green and hope they ripen on the sill.

Last night Bob ate at the hospital, so I had Buffalo wings, celery and blue cheese dressing.

• illimae
    Options

DH made burgers and tots. Going to due reduced calorie days on Tuesday and Thursday, so maybe a salad and lite dressing tomorrow.

• eric95us
    Options

I'm working in the warehouse "back east" doing routine equipment checks, so today it was fast food for lunch and restaurant food for dinner. The hotel room has some kitchen capability, so I made a grocery store "run" tonight.

Thinking of Ausie.

• carolehalston
    Options

I experimented with using the slow cooker to do the simmering stage of smothered/stewed chicken that I recently made in a skillet on the stovetop. The gravy didn't thicken and the chicken got too tender. The brown rice, cooked on the stovetop, was on the gooey side. Imperfect but tasty nonetheless. Our salad was cucumber freshly picked from the plant in Mary's garden and farmers market tomato on spring mix lettuce also freshly picked.

We are so enjoying the tomatoes and cucumbers.