Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Carole, it’s super easy, I use the recipe from the barilla no boil lasagna box and add a layer of steamed fresh spinach on top of the meat layers.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Wally and WallyDH…thinking of you two.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

Dinner tonight was chicken and asparagus in cream sauce. Hoping the coming snow storm veers south.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Mae - wondering if the spinach lasagna could be turned vegetarian?

Eric - what is your snow situation?

Maggie - chicken & asparagus sounds delicious.

I had leftover shells & mushrooms in a Rao's/sour cream mix.

My 8 year old niece came to my neighborhood yesterday to sell girl scout cookies. We just don't have any girls the last couple of year - only boys. So she did very well. Did you all know that the girl scouts now take Zelle or Venmo in addition to cash?

• eric95us

Minus. Sharon went cross country skiing today southeast of Pinetop-Lakeside (about 35 miles distant). She stopped to eat lunch and took off her skis. She sank to her hips.

At the house, there are still some patches of snow on the north side of bushes. Morning temperatures are in the mid 20F degree range.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

I have always thought cross country skiing looks like fun. All that exercise in a quiet surroundings.

Dinner last night was pan seared catfish fillets taken to the blackened stage. I brush the oil on the fillets as was recommended by Paul Prudhomme, and do not oil the pan. The side was also very good. A brussels sprouts gratin dish. DH doesn't like brussels sprouts so I looked up a recipe instead of just steaming or roasting the little cabbages.

The recipe is easy and worth the effort. Halved sprouts, olive oil, pepper flakes, fresh garlic, s & p tossed together and roasted at 425 for 20 minutes. Add cream (I had half & half), sprinkle on grated parmesdan and top with buttered panko. Back in oven for 8 min. or until brown on top. The sprouts are somewhat tender but still have crunch.

I enjoyed my dinner but dh is having jaw pain now when he eats as a SE of the removal of the wisdom tooth. He has a knack for developing a medical problem on holidays and Mardi Gras is a big holiday here. That old saying that getting old is not for sissies is definitely true.

Thinking about Wally and her dh. And about Sandy.

• illimae

Minus, I don’t see why not, just omit the meat and maybe double the spinach.

Thawed leftover chicken and dumplings for dinner.

• shrinkrap59
    shrinkrap59 Member Posts: 41
    edited February 13

Best wishes everyone! A disappointing follow up with surgical oncologist delay; at least 2 more months before I can start radiation. In the meantime, it's Dungeness crab season!

Live crab

Steamed crab

Crab cakes.

I should stop by more often, and not just when I am especially anxious.

• illimae

Yum!

• minustwo

Carole - I copied the Brussels Sprouts recipe. I do like them plain, but this looks like a delicious change.

Eric - I forgot - do you actually live South of Show Low? For some reason I thought you were North of Snowflake.

Oh shrinkwrap - Dungeness Crabs!!! Be still my heart.

• maggie15

Minus, I'm not surprised the Girl Scouts are keeping up with the latest payment technology. Changing with the times is what has kept them relevant for so long.

Carole, The brussels sprouts recipe looks good and different. One thing I do is thinly slice the sprouts and sautee them in EVOO with finely diced dried apricots. I hope your DH's jaw pain is improving.

Shrinkrap, I miss the blue crabs which were a staple when we lived on the eastern shore of Maryland. Frozen crab is not as good.

Reader, I hope your weather has improved. The barometric pressure changed so we only got a couple of inches of snow rather than the foot that was predicted.

Eric, It's great that you can avoid the snow at your house and Sharon can drive to do her cross country skiing.

Illimae, I like dumplings too much to make them since I have to watch carbs. It's easier to turn down potato, rice and pasta.

Wally, I hope you and your DH are hanging in there post surgery.

Dinner tonight was corned beef and cabbage, much better than the Irish equivalent of boiled bacon. It was approaching expiration date and in one way seems appropriate for Mardi Gras. We'll have it again on March 17.

• shrinkrap59
    shrinkrap59 Member Posts: 41
    edited February 14

Good night or good morning!

Pinchos Morunos and Gambas Al Ajillo on Tuesday

AKA a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

https://heronearth.com/spanish-spice-crusted-pork-tenderloin-bites-pinchos-morunos/

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/gambas-al-ajillo-spanish-shrimp/

• minustwo

shrinkwrap - The shrimp recipe sounds particularly delicious. Thanks for posting.

• eric95us

We're east of Snowflake.

• illimae

Nothing fancy tonight, I wanted a cheeseburger with chips and onion dip, DH was happy to cook (I make burgers too small for him).

Tomorrow will be veggies. Meals have been carb heavy lately and a friends mom has been gifting us lots is cake and brownies, I need a break.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Hi ladies and gents and grateful for your thoughts and good wishes.

It all went relatively well, considering. They are always in disbelief that my DH takes no meds. His glucose is better than mine, his BP is better than mine, blah, blah (and i'm 17 years YOUNGER!). The surgery only took 2 hours. The dental surgeon was a sweetheart. They only took 3 teeth (minus the one he had initially extracted) and nothing was touched on the left side. Hopeful no surprises (pathology) and no infections that could set in. His lower jaw is getting swollen and black and blue (expected). He's ambulatory and not in much pain, thankfully. I drove us back home (took a beta blocker to calm me)…made the ferry just in time and the bridge, closed but thankfully, only about 10 minutes. Lovely to be back home, minus a screaming (now deceased) feline waiting for us.

Food was not wonderful…Trader Joes is only a few blocks away so I bought some Indian stuff (DH's fav) and figured out a bunch of stuff post surgery…instant mashed potatoes using bone broth instead of water; eggs; canned soup…you get the idea.

Tonight, I mashed up some canned mackerel, mashed up some sweet potato and added olive oil. Worked. I added broccoli to mine.

NO idea what tomorrow will bring.

Again, thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.

Illimae…DROOOOOOOOOOOL on that lasagna.

Shrinkrap, my Dh used to go crabbing so it is bittersweet to see those beauties! Enjoy.

• maggie15

Wally, Glad the surgery went well and only involved one side of the mandible. It’s good that your DH doesn’t have much pain. Hopefully the swelling and bruising won’t last too long.

Dinner tonight was Reuben sandwiches made from the leftover corned beef.

• carolehalston

Wally, glad you and your dh made it through the surgery and the time away from home. Such a good thing that dh isn't in a lot of pain. Fingers crossed that he heals.

The pictures of the crab brought back good memories of time in Alaska and enjoying a crab dinner at an rv park.

Nothing better to do with corned beef than Reuben sandwiches! I love them.

Last night was oven barbecued chicken legs and mashed potatoes. We're not sure what is going on but dh is having severe jaw pain after the wisdom tooth extraction. Worse than the jaw pain that led to MRI and eventual extraction. He saw the oral surgeon yesterday and the surgeon had no explanation. He wrote a prescription for an antibiotic.

Tonight will be another meal that doesn't require a lot of chewing.

• wallycat

Carole, I hope your DH feels better soon. We don't realize how valuable our mouths are till they hurt. UGH.

Lost power this morning…SNOW! It will be gone by the afternoon but what a glorious site to wake up to (except for the power outage, LOL).

Something with tofu for tonight. Easy on DH :-)

• illimae

Tonight is sautéed green and red cabbage and onions with sliced kielbasa.

• maggie15

Wally, Hopefully you are enjoying the snow with the power back on.

Carole, If antibiotics and time don't lead to an improvement in your DH's pain ask the oral surgeon to make sure all of the tooth and roots were removed. I had a wisdom tooth extracted where one of the roots had split. The oral surgeon accounted for the roots that should have been there but a CT showed a root branch on one side of a bone spur was left behind and needed a re-excision. Also, a hospital roommate had been admitted for ENT surgery when a piece of extracted tooth was left behind causing a serious infection. Hopefully your DH will have better dental luck than I have had.

Dinner tonight was pot roast with cauliflower and mashed potato.

• wallycat

I pureed some cooked broccoli with bone broth (chicken) and roasted garlic, then diced up some tofu soaked in soy sauce…slipped it into the puree…better than I expected! May be a repeater on non-dental days. Also made rice pudding.

Power came on after 4 hours, in time for lunch :-) Snow is nearly gone but lovely to have woken to that!

• minustwo

Carole - another tooth report. I had an extraction & root canal. There were actually two roots extracted originally. After significant pain I went to an endodontist and discovered this tooth was an anomaly, and it had three roots. Don't wait too long.

I had left over tuna salad on rosemary/olive oil bread mid afternoon. Then went to a friends and had 2 glasses of Thousand Stories wind. YUM. After I got home I only had energy for some Ruffles.

Mae - I have a bag of shredded cabbage - intended for coleslaw. But I think I'm going to saute it with onion & garlic.

• carolehalston

Thanks for the input on tooth extraction pain. I will pass it along to dh. He already plans to see the oral surgeon again on Monday if the pain hasn't lessened by then. The pain hits him when he moves the jaw, to drink, eat, even talk.

I made a ground meat, pasta, tomato sauce, green peas dish last night. A lot is leftover. It was easy to eat, the main reason for making it.

I have a lunch date today with my younger sister, her daughter (who had a birthday yesterday), and the daughter's daughter. We will be eating at a Mexican restaurant. A lot of back story about the niece's mental problems and dependency on her mother but we will try to focus on the positive and make a good memory.

• illimae

Tonight was spaghetti squash with Roa’s and garlic bread.

• wallycat

Tonight, pureed spinach with my Pink salmon, poached in the "sauce." YUM! I may buy cod tomorrow and re-do the same thing. Mashed sweet potato side.

DH's pathology report just came in. No cancer in that part of the jaw (though it is elsewhere); drug induced osteonecrosis. Now we wait to heal and see if his what-is-left-of-his-jaw can get a partial.

• maggie15

Wally, Rice pudding is one of my DH’s favorite desserts. I rarely make anything sweet so that I won’t eat it.

Dinner tonight was leftover pot roast.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 942

Great dinners on the thread tonight!

I had a cornish game hen over vegetables, a sweet corn chowder starter, and a brie cheesecake (new to me) with an oreo crust for desert. We started out with my brother and wife going to a really good Latin restaurant, only to find a 1 hour wait! My diabetic hubby (and all of us really) declined that and ended up at a favorite place serving Southern cuisine.

Tomorrow our community has a "soup and chili supper. I'll make some version of cornbread to share.

• eric95us

I hope the tooth pain quickly ebbs.

we had Salmon on a bed of rice and green beans. Sharon cooked while I was working on a 110 year telephone. It now works perfectly.

• minustwo

Eric - is the telephone one that hangs on the wall with the "trumpet" hand piece?

Wally - I have some spinach that needs to be used & your dinner sounds delish. I think I have a salmon steak in the freezer. So glad to hear that at least your DH's mouth/jaw didn't have any cancer.

Carole - hope the lunch with problematic relatives worked out well. And your DH's tooth pain is receding.

My mother made rice pudding in a double boiler with raisins and very little sugar. I've never had a double boiler, but I remember liking that it wasn't very sweet. I pretty much cut the sugar in half for most recipes.

My grand niece is coming up tomorrow morning to sell GS cookies again. Hope she brings a coat. High of 50 and low of 36 tomorrow night. Then highs of 80 coming right up. Oh Texas "winters".