Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who have used only alternative treatments

Options

Comments

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited April 2012
    Options

seems most to all of us, excepting abby, are amazons:  you'll recall that these south american women excized their right brests to more easily shoot arrows without encumberance.

I juiced the periwinkle & got about 1 drop of liquid, probably from the water I washed it with, & a bunch of resodue which I've not used.  havn't juiced the japanese knotweed yet, bet it with give lots of liquid, but am a little wary because of the oxalic, reading about steve jobs his horrendous allopathy adventure began with kydney stones...................here until sunday then back to work for most of next week

very interestoing posts, wish I knew more of the contractions, most I don't

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi Abigail, have missed your posts Smile

Amazons, hum, I like the sound of that !  It is true that a lot of sisters have to have mastectomies but then a lot of us got away with lumpectomies because of the smaller size of our tumours, so we still have our breasts.  Sometimes, sisters will opt for a double mastectomy no matter what, it's then their choice.

Hey, check my post about herbs on the Natural Girls thread, I'm sure you know about all those herbs with latin names Wink 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79/topic/730113?page=326#idx_9759 

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

okay, maud, back to the studio most of next week too........I think termeric is curative for many cancers but probably not for estrogen sensitve ones, testicular as well as some of ours......checked again the acid/basic food lists, lots of acid foods according to the site, change to alkaline..........citrus for example

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

couldn't find the natural girls thread:  more info please

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abi, I put the link at the bottom of my post which will take you there.  I am meaning to go back and try to figure out all those latin appellations ...

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited April 2012
    Options

I was going to post this before, but deleted it, but now I'm quite curious. Why turmeric and not curcumin? Isn't it the curcumin in turmeric that holds all the health benefits?

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

yes.  cumin has it too, of course, & how about golden seal????????

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

no:  as I tried when I was searching for this thread, googling that takes you only to .org, & the fora here arn't numbered.  I only found it weeks later by accident accessing someone's profile

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abigail, here it is: 

"After 2 years on Tamox, I have finally made up my mind to call it quits. So, I started looking for natural aromatase inhibitors and was astonished at what I found, AMAZING !!!!"  

"Phase I clinical trials have begun on the botanical dietary supplement IH636 grape seed extract for the prevention of breast cancer in postmenopausal women who are at increased risk of developing breast cancer. The IH636 extract has a high concentration of proanthocyanidins and has been shown to inhibit aromatase using in vitro and in vivo models [85, 86].

The most active natural product extracts from testing in the microsomal aromatase inhibition assay, reported as % inhibition, comprise the ethyl acetate partition of Dioon spinulosum Dyer ex Eichl. [104], the ethyl acetate partition of Encephalartos ferox Bertol. f. [104], a 75% methanol reflux extract of Riedelia Meisn. sp. [105], a 75% methanol reflux extract of Viscum album L. [105], the methanol partition of Cycas rumphii Miq. [104], the methanol and ethyl acetate partitions of Cycas revoluta Thunb. [104], a 75% methanol reflux extract of Alpinia purpurata K. Schum. [105], and a 75% methanol reflux extract of Coccothrinax Sarg. sp. [105]. The natural product extracts that were most active in the microsomal aromatase inhibition assay reported as PCA included five red wine varieties (Vitis L. sp.) from various wineries, with the most active being Cabernet Sauvignon from Tanglewood (France) [86, 106, 107]. The hexane partition of the leaves of Brassaiopsis glomerulata (Blume) Regel (Araliaceae) was found to be active in microsomes [108]. The methanol and chloroform extracts of Garcinia mangostana L. (Clusiaceae) (mangosteen) were also strongly inhibitory against aromatase in microsomes [109].
    Euonymus alatus (Thunb.) Sielbold ("gui-jun woo" in Korean folk medicine), a dichloromethane partition of Isodon excisus Kudo var. coreanus [110], a water reflux extract of Scutellaria barbata D. Don [111], and a polyphenol-enhanced extract of green tea (Camellia sinensis Kuntze) [112]. Another study reported results in units/100 g wet weight (one unit was defined as the dose required for 50% inhibition) and found tea (C. sinensis), coffee (Coffea L. sp.), cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.), collards (Brassica oleracea L.), and tomato leaves (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) to strongly inhibit aromatase using a microsomal assay [113]. Interestingly, this study also reported that cigarette smoke (obtained using methylene chloride and aqueous traps) and tobacco leaves (70% ethanol extract; Nicotiana tabacum L.) also potently inhibited aromatase, as reported in cigarette equivalents [113].

xanthohumol-rich stout beer in choriocarcinoma-derived JAR cells [114], a water extract of grape seed extract (Vitis L. sp.) in MCF-7aro cells [85], a water reflux extract of white button mushrooms [Agaricus bisporus (J. Lange) Imbach] in MCF-7aro cells [115], red clover flowers (Trifolium pratense L.) in a MCF-7 cell dual assay for aromatase inhibition and estrogenicity [116], mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) in SK-BR-3 cells [109], and Brassaiopsis glomerulata (Blume) Regel in SK-BR-3 cells [108]. The red clover flowers were found to inhibit aromatase at low concentrations and were also estrogenic at high concentrations.

Pinot noir from Hacienda (Sonoma, CA)

Apigenin (5,7,4'-trihydroxyflavone, 8) and quercetin (3,5,7,3',4'-pentahydroxyflavone, 37) have been tested numerous times for aromatase inhibition. Apigenin (8) was found to be strongly active in microsomes

7-Hydroxyflavone (26) has been tested several times and has shown strong aromatase inhibition - Hesperetin (5,7,3'-trihydroxy-4'-methoxyflavanone, 53) [121, 133] and eriodictyol (5,7,3',4'-tetrahydroxyflavanone,50) [133] were each tested twice in microsomal aromatase assays and found to be strongly active. 8-Prenylnaringenin (62, isolated from Humulus lupulus L.) was one of the most active natural product compounds tested for aromatase inhibi)tion 

an epidemiological study inferring aromatase inhibition through changes in estradiol levels demonstrated that estradiol levels were lower for people with higher EGCG (99) intake [147].

Furthermore, EGCG (99) has been tested using an in vivo Swiss-Webster mouse model measuring ovarian aromatase activity and was found to inhibit aromatase activity by 56% at 25 and 12.5 mg/kg [148]. Theaflavin (101) and theaflavin-3,3'-gallate (102), both isolated from Camellia sinensis Kuntze (black tea), were found to strongly inhibit aromatase in microsomes

Nearly 300 natural product compounds have been evaluated for their ability to inhibit aromatase, in noncellular, cell-based, and in vivo aromatase inhibition assays. Flavonoids have been tested most frequently and generally found to be the most active class of natural product AI compounds.

Some of the more active flavonoids included apigenin (8), chrysin (11), 7-hydroxyflavone (26), isolicoflavonol (27), (2S)-abyssinone II (45), (2S)-2',4'-dihydroxy-2"-(1-hydroxy-1-methylethyl)dihydrofuro[2,3-h]flavanone (49), eriodictyol (50), 8-prenylnaringenin (62), 3'-[γ-hydroxymethyl-(E)-γ-methylallyl]-2,4,2',4'-tetrahydroxychalcone 11'-O-coumarate (75), isoliquiritigenin (77), and rotenone (132). Other very active AI compounds included the xanthone, γ-mangostin (239), the sesquiterpene lactone, 11βH,13-dihydro-10-epi-8-deoxycumambrin (211), and the anthraquinone, benzanthraquinone I (249).

AIs from edible plant materials may eventually be appropriate for primary prevention of breast cancer in postmenopausal women (e.g., lower toxicity due to history of human consumption). Botanical dietary supplements or foods that are ingested regularly and act as AIs may have a role in breast cancer chemoprevention or chemotherapy for postmenopausal women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074486/

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

much is beyond me, some is familiar:  interesting about tobacco!!,  I wonder if that cheap indian tobacco cigarett has no sugar, arrowpoison, the harmalines are apparently good:  antiestrogenic

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited April 2012
    Options

Chef, how interesting that your mom used to do that. What was her ethnic background? That beef sounds like pastourma, middle eastern pastrami.

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited April 2012
    Options

Momine,

Yes, my mom was from the middle east. After she marinated it in tumeric she would slather it with a red spice???????Its the one thing I never learned from her. I think she wrapped it in cloth when she put it on the clothes line outside. Delish. More lean than pastrami, but the same idea.

The tumeric had more to do with the process than the color or flavor??????? I'll have to ask old family members who may know. 

• wornoutmom
    wornoutmom Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2012
    Options
    A quick update.   I am hoping to post some details tonight.  I have been swamped with fundraisers, volunteer work, and life.  I spend so much time explaining to everyone I meet about my plan and am prepping for TV.  There is so much meanness here I think for now I will just explain my results but it is a bit long and my little one is up.  Bare with me I am one busy lady...lol Wink  I haven't forgotton you guys!
  • abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

red spice:  praprika

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited April 2012
    Options

Nicki from two pages back - you are not a wet blanket.  I trust you have had nine years with good QOL.  You are back to the drawing board, so to speak.  You could have had the same result with concentional treatments.  I too have only used surgery thus far, but I do not say never to anything.  There are so many avenues.  What I would want to know is how diligent and longterm were the naturopathic treatments you persued.  Please tell more, your journey is our journey.  Perhaps even begin you rown thread of experience, strength, hope, or at th every leasst post it on your biography. 

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2012
    Options

WOM:  Let us know when you're going to be on TV...I would love to watch!

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2012
    Options

Maud, my ND prescribed Chrysin for me as an aromatase inhibitor. You could check that out. It should be easy to get. It is a supplement.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2012
    Options

Oh yes, and I also use grape seed extract. Very good stuff from everything I have read about it.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

I have grapeseed oil, a gift from before this trouble but never used.  have used it twice now.  & I wonder if oregano oil, if too strong to use topically, could be used as such if diluted with say apricot kernal oil or even a good evoo

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited April 2012
    Options

Maud that is fabulous,if my MO cant find me a pill I can tolerate without shortness of breath and a swollen tongue(I stopped the hell pill 30 days ago and I still have severely chapped lips which my gen phys gave me 2 ointments to put on there and got permanent high blood prz and got on meds for that now too),maybe I can try some naturals. Aspirin was a natural a long time ago with the Native Americans and willow bark,I heard. Thanks for helping us out everyone with the turmeric,saffron thingy,so confusing.

Think I finally have it straight but exactly what has been researched is the curcumin in turmeric. That is supposed to be anti cancer.

• wornoutmom
    edited April 2012
    Options

I worry there are those on this group who may go after my doctor and I don't want to put his business in harm as he is saving so many. Each time Burzynski speaks out they pull him into court.  Even in courts they have said it looks personal.  We spend thousands of tax dollars doing this very sad.  Once my legal issues are resolved I will post who I am on here. I will help others my story does just this.  But it isn't just my story it is the story of all the people who I see in treatment each day!!  

As those who have followed me know I had horrible health care that left me riddled with fear.  After being misdiagnoed I still tried surgery with my providers which was a disaster.  3 weeks after surgery my lump returned.  I was told it was scar tissue.  I had so many mistakes on my case it lead to an 8 page complaint letter of these mistakes.  I literally had to take an anti-anxiety medication just to walk through the doors.  I can't go into specifics at this time.  I plan to fully do this once the matter is resolved.  So fast forward and low and behold that lump was a reoccurance.  My lump was in the chest wall which I have since learned from other patients with the same lump there are doctors who refuse to perform sugery without treatment first as it is to hard to get clear margins.  This is why I think  my biggest mistake given my type of tumor was to have surgery.  I spent more than two years on birth control pills with cancer and it only spread to 3A.  A few months later I saw the results of my surgery.

After several complaints I finally got a PET scan.  I had a reoccuance in the exact same spot which I believe was the "scar tissue".  I had a tumor on my spine, innumerable bone mets, widespread lymph nodes, and in one month with tykerb and tamoxifen it had traveled to my liver.  Due to fear I only trusted them to prescribe pills. I arrived at my clinic in Sept 1 and received care until the end of Dec.  I was on a scaled down plan due to finances.  On Dec 8th I had a follow up PET scan.  With a full head of hair and no suffering or effects it revealed that all my lymph nodes were clear, both tumors were gone, the liver was clear, and a significant decrease in my bone mets!  NO sufferering, I spent the weekends traveling with my daughter and swimming on the days I had IPT.  With both tumors resolved I realized there was no need to ever have my surgery. What they called scar tissue was gone and without pain.   No one can tell I am sick but I take every opportunity to tell my story!  Having spent 3 months there I have seen I am not a rare case.  

About 2 visits ago I arrived to see yet another young girl who didn't have surgery pronounced cancer free.  I have seen people who have exhausted all standard treatment turned around.  Barely able to walk then walking blocks.  Perhaps the most touching thing for me was meeting a mother whose daughter my age had passed from a yeast infection after treatments.  A thing many of us women just run down and by a cream to get rid of.  Her mother listened to my story and she told me she could see how much healthier I was than her and how much longer I have lived.  She is traveling speaking out as her daughter was to scared to listen to her.  She did traditional and agreed in the end to try it but then the infection happend and she passed leaving small children behind.  

We talk about stats and doctors are the only ones who know.  I use Vitamin C along with so much more and want to share this clip.   Please note that I have had testing to find my therapeutic range!!! It shows how the two together can save lives.  The hospital stepped in for emergency care which was huge!  The Vitamin C saved him when no other drugs could. I have watched people who are currently in standard treatment relieve their symptoms and it hasn't effected their treatment like many doctors have suggested.  Notice he got Leukemia and it is gone!! Mainstream TV not a conspiracy that people claim to  steer you away from further research.    

http://www.3news.co.nz/Living-Proof-Vitamin-C---Miracle-Cure/tabid/371/articleID/171328/Default.aspx 

• wornoutmom
    edited April 2012
    Options

If anyone can put in a link to the video it would be greatly appreciated!  TV next week!!!  =)

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • wornoutmom
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thank you.  I use google chrome and wonder if that is why it won't let me post =)

• Kaara
    edited April 2012
    Options

WOM:  So thrilled to hear you story and know that you are on the road to recovery.  Please keep us updated on the TV appearance and where we can watch!  I understand your concern about outing your doctor.  Apparently there are those who don't want alternative therapy to become part of mainstream medicine.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2012
    Options

Am I just dense or something?  I think all anyone wants on BC.ORG is to figure out HOW we can keep from getting cancer to come back, or what ELSE we can do, besides conventional treatment.  

You mention Vitamin C!   I am taking lots of supplements AND vit. C, and I don't know why this all seems to be some sort of secret, that we all have to wait to see if WE can be helped. 

I/we don't need/want to know your personal information, nor your Doctor.  We just want to do all that we can to help us!  If there is a "better" way, than what we are doing, I just want to know.   

If this is to be broadcast on TV, well then that's great!   I'm sure it will be all over the news?   So legal issues, or the Doctor's name, aren't really any concern to us....  We just want information that will help us.  We all want what's best for each other....

I've been reading and waiting, to see if I CAN DO MORE FOR MYSELF to prevent cancer from coming back...  and I don't mean to be impatient, but I just can't understand if one of us is being helped by "something" or some treatment, why the rest of us, can't know about it. 

I can't take Tamoxifen because I lost my hearing!  But if I thought sharing this with ANYone would help, I would try and help them figure it out...... If they could possibly have the same problem! 

Anything, or any way we can help each other, should be our greatest concern...I don't care about anything else.... but knowing one of us is doing great, should be our number one priority for helping others.

And wornoutmom, if this is all going to be on TV,  please let us know....

• Kaara
    edited April 2012
    Options

Chevy:  In all fairness to WOM...there are a few who frequent these alternate sites who do not have the best interests of all as their main agenda.  Anyone wishing to have more information on the subject of IPT or Vitamin C therapy could simply google it to get everything they need and more.  It's not a deep dark secret.  I get weekly vitamin C infusions from my ND, which boosts my immune system.  Hopefully it will prevent a recurrence, but there are no guarantees as we all know.

IPT therapy is a low dose chemo treatment that targets cancer cells and kills them without the added SE's of conventional chemo.  It isn't FDA approved and therefore falls under alternative treatment.  I think there are a few places in the US that do it, namely in Arizona.  There are other clinics in Mexico.

It would be wonderful to have some testimony as to the benefits of these therapies and I would look forward to seeing a TV program supporting this.  Mainstream media has not been willing to promote these alternative therapies due to political pressure from drug companies who do a lot of advertising on TV.  I hope the tide is slowly beginning to change because you can't suppress progress forever. 

• wornoutmom
    edited April 2012
    Options

My TV appearance isn't solely on my treatment but it will be mentioned you can believe that! 

Please note that oral vitamin C is not the same as IV!!!  Linus Pauling was discredited for this research as when they tested his theory they used oral instead of IV. It is digested thus processed by the body very differently.  Watch the video and see how the doctors treated them when they suggested it's use!! Read the story on Vitamin B 17 and what what they did to Burzinsky as well as countless other healers.  We can push drugs through trials quickly stopping further research and that is okay.  Many of these drugs then lead to tons of lawsuits just sit and watch a few tv programs (boniva, zoloft and pregnancy this one hits me personally as they told me it had been studied for years with no effect...etc) and that is okay.  But mention Vitamin C and we all scream for statistics and worry about effects.  There has not been  1 death in the history of Vitamin C use but we are pumped with fear that it could be harmful?????

Ephedrine was pulled off the market after a few deaths but we continue to have thousands die from smoking and alcohol use.... 3rd leading cause of death is MD directed treatments and we don't question it     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JF7TcPsmvI&feature=player_embedded

Doesn't this make anyone think???  Please repost my link.....grr =)

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks Kaara....I understand what you said, just that when any of us read this thread for the first time, we want to know what next?  What did THEY do?  And how can this help me? 

I know there are a few gals that don't exactly believe in anything other than conventional treatment, but if I thought, alternative, or complimentary treatments would help me, because I can't take Tamoxifen, I would like to know about it.

Another gal, on another thread told me about DimPlus, and Turmeric, and Chaga, AND Kelp!  I have added all of that to my regular supplements... Also Grapefruit Extract tablets.  And she shared this with me, and anyone else who wanted to know.....

And yes, IPT sounds a lot better than the regular chemo....IF I ever have to go through this again.

I just want to believe that we all care enough about each other, to try and help.... without waiting for "okay's" before we can do this.

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2012
    Options

Chevy - if you dense, then I am too.  I still do not get it...all this posting about super secret treatments.  As I have said before, I would love to know if there are legitimate alternatives that should be considered.  But, this super secret behavior is making me think WOM's "treatment" is a bunch of BS.  If you are that concerned about mean people or "outing" your doctor, why are you posting on a public board?  I dont think anyone cares about your doctors name or yours...they would just like to understand what it is that is supposedly working so well.  Frankly, your lack of info sharing is what causes people to doubt your motives and the legitimacy of your "treatment".  Well, at least I doubt your motives.  A link with a New Zealond guys experiences with vitamin C?  Thats the super secret?  If it is legit, share it.  If it isnt, shame on you for stringing people along.