Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

After Radiation

Options

Comments

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Granny!

Always a sight for sore eyes!

Missed you something fierce!

Crazy busy for me right now, but doing my best to get here and check on everyone as much as I can...

I could use an extra prayer or two if anyone can..

Love and prayers for all...

Tori

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

Torigirl-----you know that i always say an extra prayer for you honey!!!!!

We have been walkin together for yrs.now...

stay busy and stay well

hugggs grannydukes

• artpetals
    artpetals Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi girls!

I have read back a few pages and I like this group!

I have one more day of radiation on Monday (28 days total). My chemo SEs were starting to go away but two weeks into radiation I started feeling them again! So I have been taking more Percocet to get through rads but I am hopeful that my feet and hands and legs will get better as I recover from radiation.

This week I have been uber-tired and the hot flashes have gotten more intense. And then the day before yesterday I had to use my hands to pushmyself up off the sofa, so evidently my weak chemo legs are back, also.

Did any of you notice your hot flashes getting worse during the last days of radiation? Did they get a little less intense as you recovered from radiation?

new2BC, I had subclinical lymphedema before radiation started. I went to PT and learned the drainage exercises and got a compression sleeve. My PT told me to wear the compression sleeve every day during radiation as she said if I were going to get full-blown lymphedema, it could happen during radiation. My radiologist agreed that radiation is an increased risk for lymphedema, so I have done my exercises and worn the compression sleeve most of the days. And when I fly in the future, I will wear the sleeve. So far, the arm is in good shape although the tissue expander area is swollen. Evidently lymphedema can even show up 20 years after a mastectomy.

This week I have had brain fog and temporarily lost a jacket, my cell phone, and an insurance form!

Will you all do the happy dance with me Monday after my last treatment?

I would appreciate your prayers for clear thinking and energy by Thursday as I have a job interview!

P.S. I am 53 and I backpacked 50 miles in six days in Yosemite before my mastectomy last year...I had survived a horrific divorce when I was diagnosed with the BC. The chemo and radiation have definitely knocked my legs out from under me!

• walley
    walley Member Posts: 195
    Options

Sending prayers for all you ladies.Have a Happy Easter everyoneSmile

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Ladies - I came to say my goodbyes. I love you all but can't stay..

• FireKracker
    Options

happy Easter Wally.

GmaF....gonna miss you....please pm your after rads friends.We love youxoxoxo

grannydukes

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    Options

artpetals,

I have been having a similar experience.  I had a 4 week break between taxol and rads.  I had bad SE's from the taxol, body aches, achy leaden legs.  After a while I started to feel better, aches really subsided.  After 10 rad tx's the fatigue and aches came back.  I have been resting after rads, but am so over it.  5 more tx's to go, hoping my skin will hold out.  

• FireKracker
    Options

Hello new york.my home town.

just want to give you a bit of advice...

this thread is goin for a long time.at the beg.we had a large group who all finished the rads together.there is a ton of great info from the very beg.Its really worth reading.

All the best.

huggs grannydukes

• walley
    Options

Hi everyone, hope all is well.Have a great weekend!

• FireKracker
    Options

Gee Wally...every once in a while you show up and bring this thread back to life.Thank you for that.

Miss seeing your smiling face.please come back often.

huggs Grannydukes

• walley
    Options

Hi, everyone have a great weekend.Cool

• walley
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Hope everybody is doing well.Haven't seen anyone on here for awhile.Have a great week:)

• CLYDAY
    CLYDAY Member Posts: 40
    Options

Hi ladies...so I finished RADS Thursday and my skin seems to be healing up.  I know some have said it sometimes gets worse after RADS....is it still a possibility if my skin is healing?? I am lubing the girl up several times a day and stretching some.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

• gmafoley
    Options

If it looks like it is getting better you are probably ok. But it takes a very long time to heal. Remember, this heals from the inside out. Be good to yourself and keep creaming yourself up. Congrats on finishing rads!

• walley
    Options

Hi Ladies,Just checking in on all of you.Looking forward to Fall! My favorite time of year.Hope all is well wth everyone:)

• FireKracker
    Options

Hi Wally

You are so faithful to this thread

Most of the sistas have left when they felt it was time to move on.

GmsF...you too are so faithful.

Thanks.

Remember when we started this thread 3yrs.ago..Time does fly.

Would love to see the sistas check in.

Big huggs

Grannydukes

• torigirl
    Options

Always to see everyone still replying on this thread...I'm still praying for us all....big hugs and love to you all...

Tori

• oropallo
    oropallo Member Posts: 10
    Options

I also do yoga and in the meditation relaxation phase have a hard time putting my affected arm above my head without pain or tightness. Was suppose to have 5 weeks of radiation but only completed 3. (chickened out for the rest). I though it was just getting back in the swing of working out but too much time has passes and am sore all the time. Both exercising and sleeping on my stomach as I used to. Had a double mastectomy with DIEP. Only the radiated side hurts and is tight. Oh well....dont know what to do about it. Just keep exercising it and hope for the best, I guess. UGH.
    R

• FireKracker
    Options

Torigirl---soo glad you checked in.

Most of the sistas have moved on.

And it's soo good to hear things are going well for u.

I see we have a newbee...welcome to the thread that is very inactive.

May I suggest either u start from the begining(doubtful) or you go to the radiation recovery thread as it is much more active...sorry .

BTW I still have pain under the arm and I'm 3yrs.out.

Good luck..

Big huggggg

Grannydukes

• walley
    Options

Have a great weekend everyone. Hope everyone is doing well:)

• FireKracker
    Options

hi faithful Wally

How u doin?

• walley
    Options

Doing great grannydukes! Have a great day:)

• FireKracker
    Options

I think its just u and me on here now....always nice to see you.have a wonderful weekend,

• gmafoley
    Options

I'm here - kinda - not really - but will say hi - still having trouble with dizzy and nausea - down 14 lbs from not finding food appetizing any more - but I'm still kicking and working 46 hours a week - 40 at home computer job and 6 at fabric store on Sat.

• FireKracker
    Options

GmaF..

U and Wally r the only ones who stop by here

Thank u for keeping this thread still goin

I'm always soo sorry to hear all the crap ur having still.

Always u are in my prayers.

You are one of the strongest sistas I no.

Bigggg hugggggggggg

FireKracker

• torigirl
    Options

Just checking in ladies...I will always check in here to see how my sisters are doing...

Love you all...praying everyday for you and your intentions...

Halloween almost here and I"m excited! Really haven't even noticed all the "pink" stuff!

Hugs!

• walley
    Options

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing? I love Fall:)My favorite season:) I live in Fort Myers, Fl and it is just now starting to cool down. Everyone have a great weekend:)

Happy Halloween!!!!!!

• gmafoley
    Options

A retreat place for all: community.breastcancer.org/for... - feel free to contribute peaceful pictures.

I am still fighting nerve pain, 2.5 years now from the radiation. Now adding dizzy and nausea(for 4 months now; getting off the Gralise for the nerve pain and the pain is still there. Going in Tuesday to see my PCP because my Great pain doc left town and his associate ignores me. I'm tired and I figured others might need a retreat like me - hence my new topic where we can go and remember God is in control of my life and I trust Him to put the proper people and doctors in my way to help me. HUGS to all.

• torigirl
    Options

Sisters....

Praying this new year brings you so much joy that you burst...

Hugs and more hugs,

Tori

• Sunny1012
    Sunny1012 Member Posts: 8
    Options

hello all--I am new to all this.  I am due to start radiation soon but I am worried about long term side effects.  I would love for you all to let me know how you are currently doing, if you believe the benefits outweigh the risks and if you had it to do again would you?  Any side effects after the fact and Any other advice would be helpful.  I am ready to just run the other way as I feel any decision I make, I lose.  Please respond soon.  Thank you all.