Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Gorgeous!  How did you get the backgriubd to be black? 

Hugs

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Ginger, I just darkened the shadow in editing.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903

Chrissyb, that color is beautiful!  Do you know what variety of rose it is?

~lulubee

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87

Thanks for sharing Chrissy.  That's a beautiful rose.  Are roses a lot work to grow?  I never tried growing them.

Jazz I liked what you posted about death.  The minute we're born we're heading toward dying.  I just don't want to get there too fast.

"If there are any people who are ill in your hometown, make them better in your mind." ~Yoko Ono

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Chrissy, the rose is just beautiful!  Thanks for posting it.

Kathy

• chrissyb

Lulubee the rose is called 'Just Joey'.  It is highly perfumed also so not only is it a beautiful rose it smells good too.

LynMichel if you have the right climate, roses are easy to grow .   The climate here is hot, hot summers with some rain and cold winters with lots of rain.  Roses grow very well in England so can, if covered well to insulate, even survive freezing winters and what I call gentle summers.  They were imported to Australia with the first settlers back in the late 18th century and seemed to like our climate and grow very well in all areas.  The only place they seem to struggle due to disease is in the tropics.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

lulubee: i have good luck with roses here, in Fla. just take them in, or cover them when it gets too cold..

chrissy; there's anew site about recioes i think you'll like something about "in season" you know me, ansd my memory lol..3jays

• chrissyb

3jays, I've been following that one for awhile but thanks anyway.  How are you and Mur?  Hope you're doing okay.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004

Where is this photo of peace and tranquility taken? With permission, I would like to set this as my desktop photo!

xoxo

• 3jaysmom

thanks for asking, chrissy.. al is about the same. Murs doing pt for his back/neck. car is gonna get fixed this week, we think....

Dorothy! WHAT are you doing up at this hour hahaha........3jays

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109

Chrissyb I love the color of the rose and the shades it's unfolded to. Don't raindrops do something for all flowers and leafs?

LynMichael- Yeah - I'm not up for arriving on the other side too quickly either. LOL

• chrissyb

Jazz, when I took the photo, I didn't realise there were so many droplets on the petals but I was sure pleased with the result.  I love wandering the garden after a shower of rain as it just smells heavenly!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234

Chrissy,

The rose is gorgeous!  Wish I could grow them at my elevation! 

Lane

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

beautiful Chrissy...

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

Chrissy:  Absolutely stunning...amazing photography!  What kind of camera did you use?

• chrissyb

Kaara, I use a Panasonic Lumix Digital for most of my pics as it is small and easy to carry everywhere with me.  I have a large digital SLX but rarely use it now as I need to also use a tripod to hold it steady .........the old hands get a bit shakey at times and that particular camera is not a new one and very sensative to movement.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I've been off the board for several days, so I'm pages and pages behind. I did check out the flower pictures. Great photos Chrissy and Lisa.

My almost 93 year old dad was in the hospital for several days with pneumonia and a UTI. He was then sent to rehab. They wanted him to stay a week. He lasted less than 48 hours before we took him home. He's up and walking with his cane, but still weak. He doesn't remember that he had pneumonia or that he was even in the hospital, so he couldn't figure out why he had to stay in rehab. I got him out of the house for a while yesterday before the storm hit to take him shopping for a new recliner. He has a power lift one with heat and massage, but it's too big for him. He manged to slide down in it and was too weak to pull himself up. He was too far down for my DB#2 to use the power lift. He would have slid right out of the chair.After DB manages to pull him up and get him out of the chair. Dad comments that he's weak and should be in the hospital - no kidding. His memory loss and dementia are getting worse. If it wasn't for the housekeeper that comes every day, we would never be able to keep him at home. We may get to that point eventually and based on his brief rehab stay, it won't be an easy transition.

• chrissyb

Awe Hauntie, sorry to hear that your dad's memory is fading but glad to hear that he is now home and on the mend.  It's always hard when the parents get to the stage that they are the ones to need the care that they gave us as children .............. sort of role reversal.  Here's hoping that the transition to a nursing home (is that what you call them?) or aged care facility is a long way off.

How have you been yourself?  Getting back to 'normal' I hope.......lol.......whatever 'normal' is.

Well better get my skates on a get moving as I have a 90 minute drive to go for a CT and I haven't even showered yet!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Oh Hauntie, I am really sorry you are going through this and know it is difficult.  My Dad is "only" 89 and I really think he is pretty with it for his age, other than doing stupid things like buying a car after his last wreck. I think there is nothing sadder that watching our parents fade away. 

• socallisa

My 92 year old mom will be driving to pick me up at the Orlando airport on Tuesday night..I have a feeling I will be driving us back to her home...

here is another one after some dew

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108

We are projected to have beautiful weather this week, Lisa. Not much rain and temps in the high 70s to low 80s. Of course, being from California you will think it is humid :). Hope you have a great visit.

• socallisa

I am trying to figure out what clothes to take pj...she is in a retirement place in Winter Park and they "dress up" for dinner...I am not really used to A/C so I will probably freeze indoors..should be interesting, can't wait to meet the BCO chatters in Indian Shores...

• pj12

Does she happen to live at Winter Park Towers?

Even as a Floridian, I take a light sweater everywhere. Yes, AC can be freezing.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Chrissy, beautiful pic of your rose!!! Just love it!

We're in fall here, so most of the floral growth is dying off. Trees are pretty, but they've been prettier...it was pretty dry leading into our autumn. 

Well ladies, I went out topless for my first time on Friday. It was our anniversary...we went for dinner, then to some friends. I was trying to rock an indie look:

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Happy Halloween!

• socallisa

PJ she lives at the Mayflower

• pj12

Oh, I know it. We used to live in Winter Park.the Mayflower opened about the time we moved to the little beach town where we now live. Still love Winter Park and a couple of our children live there. Big excitement recently.... Paul mcCartney was in town. His fiancée (now wife)'s son goes to Rollins College.

• Martha, It's growing and it looks like you have eyebrows also.  Those are great looking pumpkins....the one looks like those comedy/tragedy masks they use in the theater.  I baked a bunch of cupcakes tonight for Halloween.....am going to take them to my doctors tomorrow. 

• 3jaysmom
    hey marybe; see you kept busy baking this wkend.. Martha ; you look great!!! i think i see grey on the top for the first time in over 8 months. i hope the thyroids getting better.. i'll get more energy, and some hair to boot... plz God!!!......3jsys
  • Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

Martha, what's that I see? Hair? Real hair? YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!! We could write a musical about it.....

Hauntie, I'm sorry things are going down with your father. Alzheimer's is so cruel. My mother has it and doesn't remember from one day to the next what she's done. I take comfort in knowing that when I call she knows who I am but I don't know how long that will last. It's been almost 2 years since I've seen her - my parents and sisters live in Los Angeles. She's also in a wheelchair because of a severe spinal stenosis and my father said she's starting to lose some function in her arms also. Right now she's home and has someone who comes in every day from 9AM-9PM so my father is able to manage but I don't know how long that will last. My father's health is, well I guess I would say sort of OK. He had a pacemaker put in a few months ago and his doc wants him to do cardio exercise so what did he do? Joined a gym and got a personal trainer! Not only that, his insurance pays for the gym .You know how we always brag about what our kids and grandkids do? Well, I brag about my 86-yr-old father who goes to the gym and has a personal trainer!

I also live with the guilt - I'm so far away, I can't do things for them, I know they miss me, etc. My sisters both live close to them and can help with whatever they need. From a purely practical point there's really nothing I could do if I were there that my sisters don't do and right now neither of them feels like there's a large burden but the guilt is still there.

Leah