Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER-, PR-, Her2+ Roll call

Comments

• hopeful123
    hopeful123 Member Posts: 78

Matthew- Glad to hear the X-ray did not show cancer. keeping fingers crossed for the MRI.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299

Matthew:  so glad to know her symptoms are from her discs...great news; very treatable :)

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384

Matthew-glad to hear X-ray did not show cancer...such a great news. 

• Ruuthieann
    Ruuthieann Member Posts: 2

I just wonder if Herceptin by itself is even worth it since my tumor is only 6mm and no nodes. Isn't Herceptin supposed to be used with Chemo? I skipped my Herceptin in December but I'm supposed to be going this thursday.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182

Ruthieann, Please discuss this with your Doc! Many recurrences occur even with early  DCIS & her2 positive that have not had previous Herceptin.

• soriya123

What do you think of this article?

Pathologic Complete Response to Targeted Therapy Treatment Before Surgery Linked to Better Outcomes for HER2-Positive, Early-Stage Disease
    January 15, 2014

The latest results from an on-going study suggest that pathologic complete response after Herceptin and Tykerb given before surgery to treat early-stage, HER2-positive, hormone-receptor-negative breast cancer is linked to better outcomes. Read more…

• CameraKim
    CameraKim Member Posts: 33

Soriya123,

I think the article is really encouraging for those of us that achieve pCR! I actually printed the original article out right after it was released so I could read it when I needed to in times of panic...I just finished my year of Herceptin the week before the article was published and it brought a little comfort as I was feeling nervous about Herceptin no longer flowing through my veins!

• soriya123

camerakim,  i wish they come up with some kind of pills for er/pr- for us to use after surgery and treatment too.  i keep my eyes open for Her2+++ vaccine, pls post if you see new one. :)

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Soriya:  I took the article to my last MO appointment since I know he didn't get to go to the SABS.  I got Perjeta w/the first batch of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, and not Tykerb.  MO told me last April he wanted to save Tykerb for 'down the road'.  Too bad this study wasn't out when I started.  Unfortunately I did not have a pCR before surgery - still fairly good sized tumors & a positive node.  So I had to do more chemo after surgery, before rads, in addition to Herceptin for a year.  I've chosen not to keep up the Perjeta for now since my neuropathy is so bad.

• redhummer
    redhummer Member Posts: 1

I was dx in Nov 2013 I had HER2+ ER-/PR-. My daughter was 3 months old. The lump on my breast was 2 cm and the one in my arm pit  was 2.9 cm. Im currently getting taxotere, perjeta, and herceptin. I cant feel my lump any more. I have 2 more tx left. I have a node at my subclavian that cant be biospied? I also have positive lymph nodes in my right arm pit. Its scary. My 36th birthday is February1. I Just cant believe this happened to me. I repeatedly ask for a mmammogram bc of famly history. My gyno said " you got time. Just wait til your 40". Wrong!  So I plan to have a double mastectomy after I finish chemo then start radiation. Reconstruction after radiation. Its hard. So hopfully this group will help.

• StaceyLeeH
    StaceyLeeH Member Posts: 117

Redhummer I am so sorry this is happening we will be there every step of the way! I had the exact same treatment chemo first then radiation then surgery!! The Perjeta and Herceptin really helped me. They added Taxotere And Carboplatin to mine but u will get through it. That amazing beautiful daughter will get you through !! I had a similar situation I was breast feeding my son he was 8 months old. Kept thinking it was a milk duct thinking okay this is typical engorged and lumpy...waiting three months.... Of course now I kick my self. Ugh that MD!!! I could just scream u had a family history!!! Well just remember one step at a time. I  will PM u if you ever need to talk or whatever. These lady's have helped me  so much!!  

Stacey.... SweetPea

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92

Have any of you er pr neg. ladies been suggested tamoxafin ?? My doctors all want me on it, I took the first one today !! My tumor was so tiny it was difficult to do all the tests . Path came back er- and PR 3% . Just wondering if I'm alone out here ??

• Ruthieanne, 

18 months ago I was diagnosed with DCIS with a small invasive component  (T1A--onvasive component LESS THAN 2mm! tinier than yours!) and negative nodes but HER2+ I opted for a mastectomy and everyone was happy.

I now have metastatic breast cancer. I wasn't offered Herceptin and it wasn't even mentioned, my Onc was terribly concerned about the tiny 4% bit of ER+ and shoved tamoxifen at me. The recently found MBC is only HER2+, ER-PR-. While I got on here and looked into other research with the big red flag of estrogen! watch out I lost the significance of HER2+++ which is aggressive and sneaky. Though I saw a second Onc he too didn't suggest Herceptin. 

Be happy your oncologist is on the ball and willing to prescribe Herceptin. 

• monkeymom
    monkeymom Member Posts: 27

Annika, I'm in a similar situation. I'm ER-, PR+ (5%), and Her+++. They have me on Tamoxifen even though I'm only 5% hormonally positive. My Onc said we will try it and as long as there are no major side effects, it's worth whatever tiny benefit I may get from it. I've been on it 5 months. My major side effect is weight gain but nothing else really. Still not sure it is helping me any or that I'll take it the full 5 years.

• sduch1
    sduch1 Member Posts: 25

monkey mom, you responded to another one of my posts bc we are both ER-, PR 5%+, and Her2+. I am just wondering how you are doing on Tamoxifen? Lately I have been feeling bloated, like I am getting my period (but it is too soon), fatigue, and lower back pain. I'm wondering if it is Tamox related. Also, highly emotional. Is weight gain your only side effect? Hope you're well!

And Annika--you are not alone! I am also wondering if I am getting any benefit from the Tamoxifen but taking it bc my dr recommended it. 

• soriya123

MicheTheVan...so sorry to hear about your met.  Her2+ is very aggressive i dont understand why both of your MO didnt offer herceptin.

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92

michThevan.....I'm also sorry to hear about your new diagnosis and yes you are right I am very glad my doctors are on top of things. Thank you for reminding me !! Sduch and monkeymom nice to see I'm not the only one :)

• sduch1
    sduch1 Member Posts: 25

Annika, you are not the only one! Please keep me posted on any side effects you experience. For me, the Tamoxifen side effects are not so obvious like the chemo side effects so I am having a hard time figuring out if I am having side effects, if I am sick, etc. I just switched to taking mine at night to see if that helps. 

• I had fairly extensive DCIS with a tiny invasive component ( < 5mm) and negative sentinal nodes. I chose mastectomy to avoid radiation. At the time the standard protocol was not to give Herceptin, I'm guessing because it needs to be infused and with a mastectomy and negative nodes the risk of spread was deemed low. I was offered Tamoxifen but declined as the ER+ was 4% of the cells and it didn't lower my risk appreciably. The mets are ER- and the more aggressive component was the HER2.

• soriya123

hello ladies, i am 4 1/2 months out of chemo.  lately i am woke up in the middle of the nite all sweaty, is that normal? i just noticed these past two days.  thanks

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299

hi soriya123, that happened to me too...it was awful. I mentioned it to my MO and she wasn't worried. I haven't yet restarted my period and so it may be premenopausal symptoms!!! Yikes!!! Who knows at this point. My MO says that they don't call it menopause until a woman gas gone more than so year without a period. 

• soriya123

Girlstrong, thank you for you reply.  I didn't get my period  yet maybe that why.  I always have ache and pain left and right..  My tummy getting better now my left arm and fingers....geez....when I am going to be normal again???

• Michelle14
    Michelle14 Member Posts: 29

Hi Ladies,

I was dx with Her 2 positive, Grade 3, stage 1, ER, PR negative in January 2014. Lumpectomy of 1.3cm tumor on February 4th, removal of sentinal and two other nodes. All clean, thank God. Started a twelve week course of Taxol and Herceptin on March 10th, 2014, will continue the herceptin every 3 weeks after the weekly is done for a total of one year. 6 weeks of daily radiation will start after the weekly taxol. So far, I feel great. The taxol treatment is very tolerable. So far just a strange taste in my mouth is all I have noticed. Looking forward to getting through treatment and on with life as a survivor! : )

Michelle

• soriya123

Hi Michelle14, you will only get Taxol and Herceptin for treatment? is this a new treatment for Her2+ for stage I n zero node?

• dottie70
    dottie70 Member Posts: 14

As of the 31th of this month I will be an eight year BC survivor. I was ER- PR-Her 2+ stage 2b. I had four rounds of AC and twelve ( I believe) of Taxol with one year Herceptin. I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction. Today I am fine, just a bit older with a few  "old age" aches and pains--but thankful to be able to spread hope to others who are going through with what I did in 2006. I give God and Herceptin credit for saving my life. Best wishes to all.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Dottie - thanks for your post.  I've progressed through the treatments and now just have Herceptin for a year.  So glad to hear from someone who's been there.  Congrats on your 8 yr anniversary and thanks again.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182

Congrats Dottie Bob!! Good to hear you're enjoying!!

• hopeful123
    hopeful123 Member Posts: 78

Dottie- Congratulations. Always great to hear from long time survivors.

Soriya- I finished Herceptin last summer, I still have bad night sweats and wake up due to that. My periods stopped during chemo, I did have one in Spetember but none after so I think i am still in chemo induced menopause. Also there is a recent study that shows Taxol + Herecptin works well for Stage 1 and I saw a post about that here on the forums too.

Michelle-Glad to hear that things are going well up to now. Things get even better once you are on Herceptin alone, so before you know it all this will be done. 

• soriya123

hopeful123 thankyou!

• Viji
    Viji Member Posts: 89

Wonderful news Dottie, thanks for sharing!

I have that terrible sweating too. Period stopped after first round of TC in September. Will continue with H until October. I never know when I am going to start sweating. It is really uncomfortable.