Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER-, PR-, Her2+ Roll call

Comments

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53

thank you Stacy! I go to the chair again tomorow for round 4, armed to the teeth with meds and evil wishes for cancer cells. Everyone- hang in there. We are all in this together.

• MaDee53
    MaDee53 Member Posts: 18

Hello everyone, had my first infusion on yesterday, May 21, it went well, was not as bad as I imagined.  I thank everyone for all the encouraging words, and prayers.  I'll see how the next one goes; which will be Taxol alone. No nausea, I have energy, want to exercise, but my daughter recommended that I should just stretches. So, I won't be hard headed.  Praying all infusions go as smoothly as the first one. Looking forward to the infusions, just want all of these invaders out of my body.  I thank everyone again, you all are so very helpful.

• lesliecusana
    lesliecusana Member Posts: 36

MaDee so glad things went well! I have had 3 weekly infusions and have felt fine so far after! Nothing like I was fearing! Just waiting to see what the hair does now! No sign of hair loss yet! Curious though I have taxol and herceptin every time, so you are skipping herceptin some?

• StaceyLeeH
    StaceyLeeH Member Posts: 117

lesliecusan,

I lov your pic of your lab they are the best he looks like an English Labador Retriever.... I love their block heads. I have one his name is Rocky that is 7 years old and the best dog ever... Their unconditional love is amazing. He would always snuggle me when I felt bad or just overwhelming anxiety. I am so glad the first three treaments have gone well for you. I received Herceptin every 21 days for a full year. That medication helped so much. I thank God for it every day.  I will keep praying for continued comfort. Keep kicking but!!!! 

MaDee I was praying for you!!! So glad everything was manageable. They have gotten the premeds down to a science. It does not work for all but so much better for patients then years ago. Throughout my chemo I tried to get out with my son and dog Rocky for a walk. Stretching will be great for you maybe some light yoga as well. 

Sending healing hugs... Happy Memorial Day Weekend

Stacey 

• lesliecusana

Stacey, Thanks! I hope it all continues to go well. Yes labs are the best dogs ever! He is an english lab. Very laid back and calm and his name is Casey! I wanted to get another in chocolate but was afraid it would be a little too wild for him.  Maybe!

• MaDee53

Hi everyone, thanks for all your wonderful comments, I really appreciate them.   My next infusion is on Wednesday, I hope it goes well.  Leslieusana, I was told that I would get herceptin every three weeks, not weekly, so I assumed that I will be receiving taxol alone for 2nd infusion.  I guess I will find out on Wednesday.

• mt4ever
    mt4ever Member Posts: 51

I everyone!  Just checking in...I am 2-1/2 years out and still going strong!  We can do this ladies!!  Hope everyone has a fantastic day!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

mt4ever - it's so encouraging when people 'down the road' check in.  Thanks.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182

nine years this past may and blessedly well! 

• sue030
    sue030 Member Posts: 4

Congratulations on 9 years of good health. You are an inspiration to all of us. Fingers crossed that I will be posting nine years from now with great news like yours. 

• MaDee53

Hair started falling today, so cut it all off today!

• lesliecusana

MaDee

Mine is falling out daily! Had it buzzed down really short not bald! It's getting really thin but still covers my head! Waiting to see if I need to go ahead and shave it! I am half way thru! Feeling good for most part! Day 3 seems to get fatigue by midday! Also notice my skin in my upper back gets sore on day 3! Doesn't last thou! Hope you have been feeling ok! 

• MaDee53

I am feeling okay, just have these weird aches in my legs and hips mainly , not to bad, just annoying. Oh boy, that third day after, I am so exhausted can barely get out of bed, but I do. My hair is a clipper cut , a one on sides and back. One and a half on top.  I attempted to wear a wig, that didn't work out.  My eldest grand-daughter said I looked better without it, so I took it off. And we all know how children can be so brutally honest.  My daughters tell me I look great with short hair anyway.  But when I saw my primary doctor yesterday, she said that I looked so different, she didn't recognize me. Stated that the short hair looks great on me. That made me feel better about it all.  I have #5 Taxol and Herceptin tomorrow. Lesliecusana, I know you are 2 ahead of me.  So happy you are doing well through this treatment.  Feel so good to be able too discuss everything with others, so grateful, it helps a lot.  Good luck to everyone. This ordeal is only a short time out of I lives too take care of ourselves.

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85

hello ladies !!!almost 2 years and going strong... Hang in there!!!

• LLizz
    LLizz Member Posts: 25

There are other ER-/PR- HER+ !

I am a new diagnosis and was told I'd prob be a trip neg, until I got my HER2 status today.  

I will begin Herceptin, Taxotere, CarboPlatinum (sp?) and Perjeta.

• minustwo

LLiz - welcome.  There are a bunch of us that are HER2+ so we can take advantage of that treatment.  There is a good & active thread for Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin & some of us had Perjeta added.

• StaceyLeeH

Hi Lliz I had the exact chemo treatment... Please let me know if you have any questions!! You can do this kick that cancers a**!! I am ao grateful for the perjeta and herceptin. 

Hugs to everyone I am so grateful to everyone it was a very long year and a half. Celebrated my 35 birthday ;) Saw PS and I am ready for nipple recon... Almost finished... Really weird to be done now what?!? Live life and not look back... most days I have no trouble moving forward... in those tough moments it's so hard not to look over my shoulder. Thank God for my Husband and our biggest gift Austin ;) 

Hugs hope everyone is hanging in there keep kicking butt...

Stacey 

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546

HI stacy, I am at the same stage you are- final recons coming up. Got my port out yesterday. Not quite done, but great to be at this stage after surgeries, chemo, rads.

LLiz I had TCH. I was able to work through all my treatments, with just a few sick days. It wasnt as horrible as some of  the other regimens seem to be- for me at least. Mostly I was just very tired and weak.

I am so grateful to everyone on here who has helped in this crazy past couple of years. SO much help, love, support and advice .

{{{{hugs}}}}}

• MaineRottweilers
    MaineRottweilers Member Posts: 44

As a final farewell to my HER2 beast cancer, my port removal! August 19th I will have my port removed along with my
    right breast (prophy mastectomy). I am really looking forward to being flat and balanced
    and free from that darned port!

I soul searched long and hard over having the prophy mastectomy. I made
    my decision and asked God to confirm my choice. On Friday I started
    having breast pain. It started as a dull ache (like pre menstrual) and
    evolved throughout the day to PAINFUL, hot feverish and slightly swollen
    on the underside. That's a clear enough confirmation for me. This
    troublesome lump of flesh just has to go.

My dilemma is this: do I wait it out and let my surgeon know the morning
    of surgery or do I call tomorrow to let him know that I am experiencing
    breast pain and may be harboring an infection or some such?

• StaceyLeeH

Tracy,

I would definitely call the surgeon and let him know about the pain and redness. Any redness by the port site or just under the breast?? That way there is no surprises. You said the breast is hot and and red. Do you have a fever?? 

Wishing you the best!! I know for me I wanted a prophy on my left didn't want to worry. Off with the TaTa's 

Pls let me know how you are doing and what you decided?

Stacey 

• Survivorwoman
    Survivorwoman Member Posts: 70

Hello Ladies: just checking in .... next week will be 4 years that I had my unilateral mastectomy. All is well, THANK GOODNESS! Keep looking forward !!! 

• minustwo

Survivor - congrats on the great news.  Thanks for checking in.  It's so great to hear success stories.

• rita22
    rita22 Member Posts: 1

I am just getting ready to start the journey.  I am having surgery first since my tumor is only 2.5cm then I will start chemo 3 weeks later.  Any one with Her2 that didn't do chemo?  I am struggling with it.  I just cant stand the thought.  And how sick did you get with chemo?

• linzer
    linzer Member Posts: 50

So sorry that you are with us, Rita. Have you met with a medical oncologist and the whole team, or only a surgical one? With a tumor that size, I believe you'd be eligible to get Perjeta - a new, highly effective drug that targets Her2 positive. Sometimes patients who meet with only surgeon first don't find out about the drug until too late (that is after surgery) - FDA regs state it has to be given prior to surgery unless a patient is metastatic or other criteria. You should ask about it if you haven't been told. It can be a game changer - in a positive way. If you haven't met a medical oncologist, I highly recommend booking that appt. before surgery. I went almost 1 month from diagnosis to any treatment and did fine. I know the urge is to get the cancer out, but sometimes it's better to hear all options and weigh them carefully prior to surgery. 

I think that you need to begin to think about chemo as a part of your treatment plan. Her2 is aggressive and needs to be treated as such. I had a 2 cm tumor, started in June with Taxol-Herceptin-Perjeta and finsished those at the end of August (12 weeks, with the H and P every 3). Just had a lumpectomy and lymph node dissection last week (my nodes were positive when diagnosed). I'm doing great! Little to no pain, managed with Tylenol.  Next stop more chemo for four cycles, called AC. It's no fun, but it is do-able. I've worked throughout and taken good care of my two children. Granted, I nap more, rely on others more, but my life isn't drastically different so far. I did not get sick at all, and don't plan to on AC either ;) I did get heartburn that I managed with Prilosec. Also, diarrhea is common (especially from Taxol and Perjeta, I believe). Again, manageable although no fun.

You'll hear a variety of stories. We all have a different path - some days better than others. You can learn so much from everyone on this board, but you have to remember not all of it will happen to you. I like being prepared and knowing what could happen, but always have to remind myself that we each respond differently to treatment.

Hugs! The beginning is such a difficult time. It does get easier. I promise! Linda

• minustwo

Rita - I agree with Linzer.  Do meet w/an medical oncologist first & inquire about Perjeta. You're already stage II and HER 2 is a "brush fire".  And like me you are ER/PR negative so not eligible for hormone treatment down the road.  I had Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Perjeta before surgery and since the tumor was still not completely gone, I also had Adriamycin & Cytoxan after my surgery.  Of course I lost my hair, and also 60 pounds since I had diarrhea 2 out of every 3 weeks.  It's no fun but you can do it.

• MaDee53

Hello, I have not posted in a  while,so how is everyone,hope all is good. Rita22, I read your post and just wanted to let you know, I was diagnosed March 2014. I am also er/pr- Her2+,my tumor of concern was 0.2cm, equals 2mm, I also had micro-invasive foci, all less than 1mm. My oncologist recommended 12 weeks of chemo(Taxol) plus Herceptin, then Herceptin alone to complete one year. I accepted this recommendation, due to his explanation that the Her2+ status is very aggressive type cancer, and er/pr neg, not responsive to hormone therapy.  My oncologist explained, he wanted to make sure that no cancer cells were lurking in my blood stream, looking for something to attach to and grow. Most likely the Liver, because the liver filters the blood. However, I am so sorry that you had to go thru this, I just find it so time consuming. My tumor was a lot smaller than yours,  But it wasn't the size of the tumor, it was the status of the cancer for chemo recommendation. I was definit ly in the Gray area for chemotherapy. I know that it is a hard choice to make, but I believe that it's all worth it in the long run. Good luck with your treatment, praying for the best.

• Christy86m
    Christy86m Member Posts: 9

Thank you for the hope. Do you remember your nuclear grade? Thanks for the post. XO Christy Mattey

• Christy86m
    Christy86m Member Posts: 9

Hi - I was dxd 11/152011 with stage IIIa Her2 positive, ER/PR negative, nuclear grade III breast ca. I had Taxol, A/C prior to surgery and only had one ick day in the entire chemo series. I had a bilateral mastectomy in July 2012 (no reconstruction), finished my herceptin and then had 5 weeks of rads (no boost) on the lung machine (left breast affected). I then started the Mayo peptide trial in November 2013 for the breast cancer vaccine that is driven towards Her2 positive / ER/PR negative. The chemo was nothing. I worked through it and only took one day off because I just felt like ugh. My best to you!!

Christy Mattey

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475

Christy, You are right down the road from me!  I'm in Parma. Small world.

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92

I have a herceptin question and this seam to be the most active her2 forum. Im suppose to have 3 more doses but the last 3 infusions has left me with chest pressure so my MO tried one week doses. I'm better but still feel the pressure . All my vitals are great and I even played 3 games if soccer last night. So my question is.......did anyone not finish 52 doses and doing good?? Did anyone have similar issues ?? My mug a has also dropped from 70% to 58% ....... will it most likely come back up ?? Maybe I'm having end of treatment and scan anxiety :(