Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited February 2012

Christine....that is awesome that your son is still ok with you being there and I know what you mean about Middle School  ( Drama )  Lol.. OH and teachers...I have said they are not paid enough !!. My son will be confirmed this Spring and they have to earn community service hours so I drove some  of them to Dare to Care and we sorted food for the hungry...I am ( I know this will be shocking ) chatty. I was saying "OK....are you guys awake "  and some other stuff...my son says Mom..please ... so I was good said nothing ...boring..He's lucky I didn't come up with some good stuff!!  Lol

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2012

Ach - saying prayers for your dad.

Lisa - Have a great time on your vacation and glad your staycation was good.

Now that is an idea, tracking your food and exercise somewhere   When I was walking, I was writing the # of steps down every day and I have been now also.  I walked today, a little less than 2 miles and this is the first week I will be able to work more than 2 times as I should be able to walk tomorrow or Saturday or maybe even both!

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2012

achpurple, saying prayers for your family.

lisa, hope you have a great vacation! totally jealous.  a few days relaxing in the sun sounds so awesome!  hopefully good times with good friends will lift your mood.

scubaduchess, thanks for the info on the ovary removal. missed it earlier. do they still make you take tamoxifen? 

mamachick, that livestrong.com sounds good. i'll definitely have to look into it. 

did my 3 miles today plus a little extra. hoping to get a good walk in tomorrow too.  that'll be 12 miles this week.  i'll have to try to keep track of my food to see if it helps with the scale.  don't feel like i'm eating a ton or anything but those calories are sneaky! 

alliesmom, i think it's just as tough on our families sometimes as it is on us.  they deal with all the same uncertainties.  hopefully your husband has someone he can talk to.

was at my son's middle school orientation tonight.  scary to think he's almost done with elementary school.  then my daughter will be there after next year.  where does the time go???

have a great night everyone!  as for tomorrow, TGIF!!!!

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited February 2012

Well, turns out they cancelled my dad's surgery yesterday so now it is today at noon.  The surgery before him had some complications so they cancelled in order for my dad to get to eat and rest up for today.  Keep those prayers coming - I'll update when I can.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2012
    archpurple - sending prayers.  My dad had double by-pass surgery over 7+ years ago and is doing so great.  Your dad sounds like he is much stronger now and will come through the surgery and feel so much better afterwards.
  • kmur
    edited February 2012

Hey Everyone,

I will continue praying...please add all our 40 ish girls past and present too....I know He is listening.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited February 2012

Hi all!

achpurple, please add me to the prayers for your dear dad. We know lots of people who have had this op. and come through it better than ever.

Lisa - saw your vacation pic. on FB - lovely. SO cold here, no snow yet, but I expect it will come.

Kim - keep your stories coming - love 'em! I know what you mean about middle-school age kids! My son is in a permanently embarrassed state about me! I wind him up by saying things like I'm going to buy an all-in-one sort of adult Baby-Gro suit someone had on on telly - he called it a "onesey"  - looked very comfy! Cue screams of horror from Dan! He is driving us all nuts with his homework, which went on till past 11pm twice this week. Mike or I end up doing the colouring-in, if there's any. I thought I'd finished with all that about 30 years ago.

Stacey, Tracy and all - love it that you are exercising and eating well! I have signed up to Weight Watchers again and will be going next week. Been making batches of "no points" soup to put in freezer. Also have recently made 2x batches of brownies and an extremely naughty choc. cake last week for my birthday, but that's another matter! All that will have to stop!  Enjoy the Superbowl - my brother is a  big fan of "American Football", as we call it. 

Keep warm everyone!

Love, Sarah x

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Sarah... always so good to see you!!   Oh gosh on the homework bit...not fun for any of you I'm sure ..  YAY for weight watchers...I'm tellin ya ...all the 40 ish (or younger!!!!) men  better look out when all of us come rollin' along!!!!     YAY FOR 40ish girls!!!!!

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2012

Sarah, hello to you! would love to know your zero point soup recipe.  always love a good soup in the winter.  sounds just like me with the baking too!  i love to cook and bake so it's really hard to stick with all the good for you food.

funny story, was on my walk today about half way thru and did a face plant on the side walk! i walk with my sis and she was quickly trying to pick me up and i'm in hysterics laughing!  we look up to this this nice older gentlemen we see around town looking horrified at the two of us as we're laughing like fools.  so embarrassing! lol! not to mention i have a huge raspberry on the palm of my hand but did my 3 miles walk today and am psyched i got 12 miles in this week.   but the weekends here and it's always hard to stay on a diet on the weekend! especially superbowl weekend! anyone watching the game? big Patriots fans here in new england :)

thinking of you archpurple and hoping your dad's doing well.

have a good night :)

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited February 2012

blueyez, glad you are ok, I am the biggest clutz ever, so I am laughing with you.  Keep up the walking, then you can eat more superbowl junk.  I just figured out who was playing, but I will watch for the snacks, commericals and Madonna!

When I read these boards I smile at all the loving stories of our children.

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited February 2012

Okay... I have to say it ... I hate been in my 40's and look like if I were in my 50's!!! Literally, in the last 6 months I age 10 years and I hate it!

• christine47
    edited February 2012

Oh Ralston, I felt the same way right after my chemo, and looks like you are now in rads.  Toxic chemicals, surgeries, rads, and premature menopause have a way of wearing us down.  Over the last few months I have begun to feel and look more like me again, you will too.  Spring is on the way!  Treat yourself to something special this weekend.

• kmur
    edited February 2012

First......Happy Birthday Christine!

Tracy... I'm with you too. Been known to trip/fall. I'm glad you are ok too.

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Ralston me too. After chemo I did not recognize myself. I do think I am pretty much like the old me now. It just takes some time. I am almost 2 years out from chemo.

• christine47
    edited February 2012

Thanks kmur, now only 2 more years and I will be looking for the 50-ish site.

• kmur
    edited February 2012

I am right on your heels my friend!!! I actually think it will be cool to be 50,,, did you have cake ???

• christine47
    edited February 2012

We went to local restraunt for dinner with kids tonight, she has the most amazing bread pudding with hard sauce and homemade cinnamon whipped cream, no doubt more calories than I need in one day, yummy!  Tomorrow night we are heading out to celebrate with 3 other couples and no doubt there will be drinks, dinner and cake.  Looks like I need to be on the treadmill all next week.

• Ralsper
    edited February 2012

LOL!!! Thank you, I need to laugh more about all of this. Well, the problems is that I don't feel "older" I really look "older"! I see myself in some photos I took 6 months ago and I can barely recognize myself. I am 30 pounds heavier and my face looks tired, puffy... Okay, I will not complain anymore and I will keep working on "reinventing" myself. Kiss

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2012

Happy Birthday Christine!

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Christine. ....I am actually sitting here having a drink with the hubby. I think you have to have something yummy on your birthday....well an most other days too!

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Ralston, I do remember feeling the same way. I do think the steroids can do this as well. In time it really does get so much better

• Ralsper
    edited February 2012
    Thank you! Unfortunately, I have not taken steroids in the last 2 months and I have not lost a pound, but I hear you and I have to believe that it will get better. Thank you again for giving me hope Wink
  • achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited February 2012

My dad did great through surgery and last time they all went back to see him he opened his eyes and waved one finger!  They will not be able to see him again until morning.  Thank you all for your prayers!

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Great news achpurple. I know He is listening. I hope you are doing well.

• christine47
    edited February 2012

achpurple, such great news!!  Now prayers for a restful nights sleep for you.

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Hi ralston... Just wanted to say. I think the steroids stay with us for some time. I mean the water retention and so on. I feel as though I am just now back to being me. I now have energy and so on. Hang in there ralston. I know it will get better

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2012

Archpurple - Continuing to pray for you & your dad......

Kim - I love your stories so please keep them coming..

Sarah - I would also love the no point soup recipe if you are inclined to share it. Wishing you great success on the WW program. 

Christine - Happy Birthday!!! Keep celebrating & keep walking.

I indulged today myself so I will be spending the week on a treadmill as well so if misery loves company......

Will be watching the game more so for the entertainment and commercials....Don't really care who wins....Have a great weekend ladies!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2012

Achpurple-- Great news about your dad!  Sorry I am so late getting on here, but I have been praying for him since yesterday, I just haven't made it to my PC to tell you.  I get everyone's posts on email.  Can't type with my chubby fingers on my tablet. 

Ralston-  I have to agree with Kmur and Christine.  It takes a while but you do start feeling and looking like yourself again.  I will be a year out from chemo next month and I really think I look like I did prior except for hair length.  I did color it for the first time this week though. So happy to be back to my old color. Don't feel as old now that the gray is gone again.

Christine- glad you had a great birthday dinner with the family and hope you have a great time tomorrow night also! 

Sarah- zero cal soup sounds like something my mom use to make.  We knew when she made it that she was going on a diet.  lol  Have a great night all! Ach- keep us updated on your dad!

• kmur
    edited February 2012

You guys ... I have been enjoying the live strong program so much. Our coordinator is so driven to raise funds to support survivors. She is having a bake sale next Friday during a chili cook off . So today I have been cooking all day made carrot cake rolls and caramel popcorn and next week will make red velvet cupcakes. I have had my finger in cream cheese icing and cake batter!!!! Oh and I also made sure the popcorn was ok. Our family will be going. Her last bakesale earned 600.00 .

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Hi Stacey. I am using the tablet now too. My fat fingers get in my way too. As we have said before. It also invents words for you