Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options
burley
burley Member Posts: 248
edited November 2019 in Bonded by Breast Cancer

I have seen groups for just about every age except mine.  I was diagnosed at 39, and had a BMX 2 months later.  I'm now proudly 4, and a survivor.  My last chemo treatment was July 15, 2010.

I want to be able to talk about my kids-ages 11 and 16.  Talk about my job-not retired, and won't be for over 20 years.  Talk about sex-we still have it.  Talk about drinking-I love my beer.

I can take off the "anyone care to join me" because a wonderful group of ladies are here!  Thanks to all, and welcome to anyone else who wants to chime in.

*I just revised this to say I'm 41, and I'd like to add that we're basically not having sex anymore (damn forced menopause), and I'm off beer for the time being.  Dammit.  Lol*  6/21/2012

Kim "Life throws you curves-learn to swerve!"
Diagnosis: 12/17/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Comments

• cd1234
    cd1234 Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi Kim, 

I was diagnosed two years ago at 37. I am turning 40 in August, which I am very excited about. I have a 9 1/2 year old son, and i like to drink wine. Sex...that is a tough one. I had a complete hysterectomy in October, and have no interest, except that I really love my husband, and I know he really likes to. What else do you want to talk about?

-Crystal

• 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Girls!

I was dx'd at 37, I'm 41 now.  I have 6 kids, 9, 10, 12, 18, 22 and 25.  My oldest lives in MA and works 4 jobs while going to college, the next one just came home from Iraq and is relaxing while going to school online.  My 18 year old lives at home with her BF and they are going to college, and the youngest are in elementaty and middle school.  My DH is disabled and my job is to take care of him. 

Hey Crystal, I had a hysterectomy too, my doctor told me the whole sex thing isn't really the estrogen and progesterone at all, he said woman make a tiny bit of Testosterone and that's what does it!  He also said work hard on the environment.  It works.

I also like wine on occasion, especially trying new flavors.  And did you know that deep purple is the color of survivors? (so sick of pink!)

• cd1234
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi Sue,

Funny, I was just reading all your posts from "do I have an alien in me...". Are you okay? Six kids is a lot of kids. My one keeps me plenty busy. I did not know that deep purple is the color of survivors. Good to know though. So I have to work on the environment? I guess I kind of knew that. I just have not felt like it for so long. After chemo, reconstruction took a year, and all those surgeries  made me tired.

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh I want to talk about anything and everything!  I just wanted to find a group that was right around my age, with women who were going through similar things in our lives.

I went into "chemopause" and definitely lost interest in sex then...and now I just had my ovaries out in February (BRCA1 positive) so I think it's even worse.  It feels pretty weird to have all the symptoms of menopause at age 40.  None of my friends are dealing with anything like that.

It's funny-I saw a group that was for women age 40-60, but it says right at the top something about not having young children at home (I still consider 11 young.)  And there's a group about drinking, but I couldn't keep up with it.  My chemo sisters have all but disappeared, and my bmx group has slowed way down.  Bummer!

Thanks for joining me ladies!

• cd1234
    edited July 2011
    Options

I saw those same threads. The 40 - 60 year olds...my mom is 60! Are either of you on Femara? I started taking it after my hysterectomy. It is actually pretty good to me. I have only been on it four months, but my onc. said I should feel most side effects by now.Kim, how often do you drink? I really like to drink wine, but I always beat myself up over it. I try really hard to be VERY healthy, but I just can't let the wine go. I know A glass here and there is fine. What grade are your kids in? Do you work?

• 37antiques
    edited April 2011
    Options

The chemopause was ok, my doctor gave me Effexor and it totally got rid of those horrid hot flashes!  And to be in one stable mood all month is appreciated by the DH for sure.  I didn't get any Femara, or anything else.  I am totally drug free now (say that in a room full of people!).  They say lavender and vanilla scents are good for it, try some candles, lotions or infusers.  Softer lighting, attractive linens, be calm before bed, all that sort of thing.  It can take a while with the body beating you've had, just give yourself time.   

They say red wine is better for you.  The French have always done it, and they seem pretty healthy, statistically speaking.  I can stay away as needed, I just use it as a perk every now and again.  That's easy for me, the DH and oldest son had some issues with it when I was in treatment, so I can restrain myself.  I just try to live guilt free, and I don't beat myself up more than I can help it.  I lived pretty healthy before, and I still got it.  I still eat my blueberries and keep moving at a good rate, but I think it's overwhelmingly just a raw deal on the gene pool.  Just my opinion, and of course it may only apply to me because I'm strange like that, but I wasn't going to make huge lifestyle changes and start eating things I didn't really like, either.  Pizza has all the food groups and ice cream gives me calcium.  A good salad cleans me out.  Yep, guilt free!

I didn't have an MX or reconstruction, the BS never did tell me if the insurance would cover it, so I figured I'd leave them alone just in case there was a next time.  Looking back, I may have missed my chance to make myself more in proportion.

I don't know my alien status yet, still waiting...I have called every one of my doctors, they all seem to be in surgery and I can't even get a NP on the phone!!  Every time the phone rings I have a little heart attack, but I refuse to leave the house because then they will definitely call. But I do have to go to baseball practice with my son later,  I can almost guarantee they will call then!

The sweetest little lady ever told me about the purple thing, she had a magnetic ribbon on her car and had BC some 20+ years ago.  I guess we all rebel against pink one time or another. 

The good thing about so many kids is they keep you busy all the time.  The bad thing is, the youngest 3 are so close in age that they just can't get along!  You'd think they'd have some of the same interests, but no, not since they were toddlers and all agreed that Blue's Clues was the best show EVER!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hey girls!

Crystal-I'm not on Femara.  I was on Tamoxifen until I had my ovaries out, then the Onc switched me to Arimidex.  The hot flashes that started during chemo are a lot worse.  He has me on Neurontin for them, which makes them a little better (I only know because I ran out of the script once and they were terrible!)  I was on anti-depressants before all of this, so he didn't want to change them and put me on Effexor.  I've heard people are having good luck with Effexor...sigh

My daughter is in 5th grade-she's definitely starting to be hormonal!  Holy hell, some days it's really hard to deal with her and she's only 11.

My son is a sophomore-he's a very sweet and mellow kid.  Boy Scout.  We're slowly teaching him to drive, but he doesn't have a car so there's no rush.

Oh me and my beer...I honestly crave beer every night.  That started during chemo, but I wouldn't allow myself to drink then.  I keep 2 cold in the fridge so if I want some, I only allow myself the 2 (if I'm desperate, I can always throw a 3rd in the freezer.  lol)  So I probably have 3-4 a week...sometimes less.  I try to restrain myself for some reason.  I'm not a huge red wine fan-it gives me headaches for some reason.

I don't deny myself anything as far as food or drink.  There are 5 women on my mother's side who had breast cancer (my mom and grandmother died of it), so I knew there was a good chance I was going to get it.  I didn't expect it so young though.  Then I was tested in December and found out I was BRCA1 positive, so it all made sense.

I tell ya, I need to join a gym or something.  My eliptical and Wii fit just aren't doing the trick.  I've gained about 10 pounds since starting on the Tamoxifen last August, and since I started the Arimidex the beginning of March, my binge eating is out of control.  I was thin before cancer, so this is all new and frustrating to me.  My weight has settled on my belly and butt...ugh

Oh and working!  I'm trying to answer all the questions.  My husband and I own our own business (auto body shop) and I'm able to work from home doing the invoicing, bills, payroll and taxes.  Nice.  But when the business wasn't doing so well about 2 years ago, I started looking for a full-time job.  Now mind you, I have 20 years experience being an administrative assistant and/or office manager.  I put out 214 resumes (I counted) in 10 months, and couldn't find a job.  I got really close, but nothing.  So I took a job as a part-time receptionist at my friend's hair salon.  Worked there for a little over a year before I got cancer.  Told her I wouldn't be able to work until I was done with chemo (I was afraid of all the germs.)  They hired someone temporarily, so I was able to go back to work last August.  About 30 hours a week.  I just quit about 3 weeks ago-couldn't stand the backstabbing and gossip even one minute longer!  There was only 1 woman older than me, so I felt way more mature than the chicks in there...they kept sucking me into the middle of nasty gossip and I wanted to bitch slap every one of them!  Sucks because the manager is one of my best friends, so I miss seeing and talking with her every day.

Sue-what's this about alien status?

• mom2one
    mom2one Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2011
    Options

I just turned 43 this month with a 15 year old daughter.  Married 22 years and dx with cancer on December 30, 2010.  Went through 2 lumpectomies and a BMX on the 28th of March.  Still working through my tx but consider myself a survivor.  I hope I count :)  Currently have TEs (which I hate) but learning to cope.  I work from home but have been taking time off to continue my recovery.   I go to Duke University next week to find out if I need further treatment.  My oncologist wasn't sure of the next step for me.  Hopefully, when the time comes you all will have lots of advice.  Thanks!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

mom2one-you definitely count!  Welcome...

I had TE's too...hated them also!  Holy crap, were they uncomfortable.  I had leftover pain pills from the BMX and would take one before going in for a fill.  I would advise you to do the same, or at least some Ibuprofen.

I will definitely have lots of advice-went through 6 months of chemo (no radiation luckily.)  I hope you find out some good news!

Then in turn, you can give me advice on dealing with a teenage girl...lol

• cd1234
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Kim-I am sorry about your mom and grandma. My grandma died of BC, but I am not BRCA positive. I know what you mean about the weight settling on the butt and belly! I have always been a runner, ran through chemo and I am still running, but my body is weird now that I am in menopause. I refer to my mid section as "gooey". Lifting weights has defiantly been helping with the goo, but I feel like if I even take a day off, I am gooey-er.

Mom2one- I just finished breast reconstruction (tats and all). It was a pain in the rear, but I am glad I went through it. When I look in the mirror, I feel much better.

Sue - I like your idea of "try to live guilt free". I try to do that too. Much more than before BC. I was always guilted about something. Keep us posted on your alien status.

Take care!

• 37antiques
    edited April 2011
    Options

Well girls, the alien staus is still unknown.  (Kim, I have a post on the stage IV boards "Am I having an alien or have I just lost it?).  I've been trying to research accuracy rates the past couple of hours, I can't quite wrap my head around this.  I had a bone scan and the result lit up my sternum, but the BS office is going with a clear XRay, with the recommendation that I get an MRI of my sternum. This is a NEW BS to replace the OLD BAD BS.  I don't know if I picked right, confidence is Low.  I go for an MRI of my head tomorrow morning, I have a nasty habit of walking into walls and blurry vision lately, and after the emotional rollercoater today, I think it's time I had my head examined anyway, just to make sure I still have all the pieces.  So what, really is the point of the new high tech fancy shmancy scans if the good ol' XRay technology of 1895 is The Reliable Source? 

Crystal, both my grandmothers died with BC too, and I'm not BCRA positive either.  It's hard to know though, back then they didn't talk about things and it could have started anywhere and just been a by-product, so to speak.  I hear that in the Victorian era it was taboo to say "stomach".  Interesting how we progress! 

Wait, are we going to discuss teenage daughters?  I could sure use help in that department!  The 18 year old is ok, but the 10 year old?  Holy cow, she's a handful!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh I'm all about talking about my 11year old...she is two handfuls!  Yet can be so sweet, and want to cuddle with me on the couch.  Huh?  She's so irritated with me right now because I won't let her get a facebook account.  Really?  Wow.  She has everything she needs and then some, but wants to argue about that.

I had one beer tonight...and really only because it was ice cold and I just came in from pulling weeds.  Ok, funny story about that...I just had my nipple reconstruction 2 weeks ago.  Yesterday was the first day I was allowed to go without the nipple shields.  So, hello!  Giant headlights, right?  I originally put on a sports bra and a large t-shirt to pull weeds but got really hot, came in and threw on a tank top over the sports bra instead...went back out...neighbor comes over and is talking to me while I'm doing the duty...I think nothing of it until I came in to go to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror-in my white tank top with huge headlights.  I almost died.  All this while i was walking around in front of my 16 year old son too.  Gotta love it.

• jackiebrown
    jackiebrown Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to post this question and will probably do so on a few threads... I am hoping to hear some advice on pros/cons of doing a hysterectomy, and/or stopping Tamoxifen.

My BC dx was in May 2007, just after my 40th bday. I had a bilat mast, A/C/Taxol chemo, and started Tamoxifen. Within a year my uterine lining showed significant thickening and I was advised to have a D&C, I also had large cysts on one ovary so it was removed. A year later my lining thickened again and I stopped Tamox for 6months to see if my lining would return to normal, and also to determine if I was truly post-menopausal or just in a Tamox-induced menopause. I must admit I LOVED how I felt during those 6 months and it was the only time since my diagnosis when I felt completely myself again! It turned out my lining continued to thicken, my estrogen levels skyrocketed to pre-menopausal levels, I dropped the 5lbs I hadn't been able to shift, and had what seemed to be 2 'light' periods for the first time since this whole ordeal began.

I then went back on Tamox and was scheduled in Dec '10 for what I thought was going to be a second D&C with my gyne onco but after I woke up from surgery he told me he only did a large biopsy since he was too concerned about puncturing my lining with a full D&C. The biopsy was clear. Now my lining is 1.9cm, I have several cysts including one that is 1.2cm, my estrogen levels plummeted again, the 5lbs are back, and I went for a second opinion. The second opinion is strongly recommending I have a hysterectomy and continue Tamoxifen. I am inclined towards just stopping Tamox but must admit it does scare me.

Other than the findings during my TVU's every 3 months, my only symptoms are a full feeling in my lower belly, frequent urination, and frequent UTI's, I also had some spotting a while back but none now. I have had 8 surgeries so far (including bilat mast, reconstruction, and the bonus of an elective tummy tuck), plus 2 c-sections before diagnosis. The thought of more surgery is obviously less than appealing, but of course avoiding more cancer and being around for my 3 children who are all under the age of 10 is paramount !

I am obviously not fully post-menopausal, neither am I really pre-menopausal so the Tamoxifen/Armidex choice is not obvious. One of the benefits of early 40's diagnosis! I would also rather not have surgery unless it is necessary.

Would love to hear if anyone has faced a similar situation and any advice you might have.

Thanks !!!

• cd1234
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi jackiebrown,

I was also having issues while on Tamoxifen. I developed a weird disease called Porphyria as a result. I stopped the Tamox. and was scheduled an oophorectomy. During that time I also felt GREAT! I had an ultrsound done in preparation for my ooph. When I went to see my obgyn for pre op, she told me that I had uterine thickening and what looked like polyps. She told me that because of my history of BC, and I was already having my ovaries out (because I could not take Tamox.) that she recommended a complete hysterectomy. I really did not hesitate at all. I went in two days later and had it done laproscopically. The recovery was really easy. The first couple of months I had some CRAZY hot flashes, but they are pretty much gone now.  Actually, for the first time in 15 years I feel completely balanced. I used to get a little nuts around my period, but now I am just happy all the time. I have been on Femara for four months. It also has been fairly easy to deal with. I did not want to take it because I felt so great and I was just sick of taking drugs. Then one of my good friends that I met in chemo was diagnosed Stage 4, and I started taking Femara because I am just too scared to not take it. Anyhow, long story short...I do not regret having a hysterectomy at all, and the Femara has been easy (so far!).

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care and good luck with your decision.

• jackiebrown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Dear Crystal,

Thank you so much for sharing your story !! I was really hesitant about having a hysterectomy and removing my remaining ovary because of all the side effects I've experienced with Tamoxifen and afraid I would experience worse (and irreversible) side effects with surgery. 

I'm going in for my biopsy today, fingers crossed results are ok but sounds like a hysterectomy is not so bad after all and certainly better than more cancer !

Jackie

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi women!  Can I join in?  I'm 39...and a HALF!  (I keep thinking that will improve my odds with bc lol)  I saw the other middle aged spot too--but I don't fit in either--my boy is just four and a half.  But, we're done having kids (thank goodness I guess), and I work full-time too.  I'm just starting the journey--so far I've had my first 2 weekly Taxol and Lapatinib chemo sessions.  I'm doing pretty well on it, but I cannot WAIT for the end of the school year.  (I teach.)  

Burley, it's only 1pm here, and now you've completely made me CRAVE a cold beer!  Mommy may need to have one after the boy is in bed tonight.  :)   

• anonymice
    anonymice Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hey folks, nice to meetcha - I'm Pam, 44 years old, with two girls age 6 and 7.  I work f/t as a hospital management consultant from home.  I was diagnosed with IBC in September and just had my last chemo 8 days ago!  This is scan/scanxiety time for me - I had an ultrasound and mammogram on Monday, and had the PET, CT and brain scan this morning.  Erk.

I did get good news on the ultrasound - nothing to see, so they said.  So...keeping everything crossed!  My visit for results is on Monday.   

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Jackie!  So sorry to hear of your issues.  I was on Tamoxifen with no problems that I know of.  Because of my BRCA1 positive results, my doctor recommended an oophorectomy-actually said the insurance wouldn't approve a full hysterectomy.  Although after the fact, they did say there were some cysts on my ovaries that were benign.  Now I'm on Arimidex since I'm officially post-menopausal (at age 40!  WTH?)  GOOD LUCK with your biopsy today-my fingers are crossed for you!

Profbee-hey there!  You fit right in!  Congrats on finishing your first two chemo-how many more do you have?  And hats off to you for working full-time while doing it-and teaching!  Wow!  You're my hero.  I definitely wasn't able to work-not sick, just exhausted all the time.  I'll meet you here later and we can have a beer together-I'm a Coors Light in the bottle girl.

Hi Pam!  Talk about scanxiety-that's a lot of scans!  Great news on the ultrasound-I'm hoping all your other results are the same.  CONGRATS on finishing chemo!  Doesn't that feel awesome?  Did you celebrate?  I made my husband take me out to dinner, and I'm sure I must have bought myself something.  Lol

Hey funny story about "lol"-my 16 year old son was reading something over my shoulder the other day on Facebook and told me that lol, omg and lmao aren't cool anymore...that no one uses them...so I guess I'm not as cool as I thought I was.  I did verify kids are still using WTF.  Guess it will never go out of style.  Ha

• jackiebrown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks Kim for your reply, I love that you started this thread ! I felt so alone when I was diagnosed, and thankfully I don't have many 40-something friends dealing with all of this so it is good to have a group to chat with. I was married in 2001, had (natural) identical twins in 2002, had a third baby in 2003, and just when life was settling down at home I was diagnosed in 2007 a few months after my 40th birthday. I had a bmx with reconstruction, AC/Taxol, no radio, and then Tamoxifen.

My children were so young they didn't even know what I was going through, and when one of the twins caught me without my scarf on I told him I shaved my head for Halloween !! Then for fear he might do the same, I told him oops mommy made a big mistake :) When my hair grew back in I told my nearly 4-year old not to be afraid of mommy and we laughed at how my soft fuzz resembled a baby duck! Nothing prepared me for one day 2 years later when we were sitting around the dinner table and one of the twins asked 'mommy is it true that when you had no hair it was because you had cancer and almost died'? I couldn't believe someone said this to him but quickly responded with a description of what a cancer cell does, why the medicine that fights cancer makes you lose your hair, and most importantly why I thought they were too young to tell them the whole story at the time. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when they not only understood but were grateful I spared them these details when they were only 3 and 5-years old...

The hardest part of all this though has been after I started to look 'normal' and everyone assumed I would naturally feel 'normal' again. Sure I had my hair back, but I had nipple-less boobs, a tummy that looked like a jigsaw puzzle due to a botched ooph on one side, and 10-lbs added to my previously slim frame. I no longer felt attractive or sexy, was constantly riddled with guilt about everything I craved - from chocolate to an occasional drink, to any sort of carb or dairy. Then not only has all of this not tapered off, but now I may be facing a hysterectomy and making a decision on what to do with my remaining ovary and medication.

Of course, this is all a slight exaggeration, most of the time I am so happy to have each day, adore my growing boys, and no longer feel guilty about minor indulgences like stealing a bit of time alone. It does feel good though, to have a place to vent those thoughts and feelings I can't share with my dear husband, family or friends. I felt sexy and back to my old self only during my Tamoxifen hiatus. I would love to give up on it and all other treatments completely but also have cancer friends who long after their initial dx found out they were stage 4... so I don't want to tempt fate too much.

So for today, I'm not taking tamox, waiting for my path results from my endo biopsy, will discuss tamox/femara/arimdex choice with my onco, and likely have a hysterectomy in a few months. 

Crystal, I am sooooo heartened to hear you feel good and balanced with your treatment now, it really gives me such hope. Kim, I love reading your posts and boy am I tempted to try a beer on a warm day. And to everyone else, so happy to have this wonderful community of support for each other as we all try to embrace our 'new normal' !!

• cd1234
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kim- My entire family are Coors Light drinkers. We call it CL Smooth. Not sure where that came from but it cracks me up whenever someone asks for a CL Smooth. 

It is nice to hear from all you 40ish ladies! 

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

I had just one again tonight...after pulling weeds AGAIN.  We have an acre, and they're out of control.  Gives me a chance to get a little sun-this time without my huge headlights.  Ha

I'm glad I started this thread too-I was feeling a little lost.

Anyone watching American Idol?  I'm watching it right now-not thrilled so far, but I love James no matter what he does.

• jackiebrown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Would love to watch American Idol but someday need to figure out how to wrestle the remote control away from my husband and 3 sons ...I'm stuck between sports, news, and cartoons ...laptop tv viewing is all I seem to get !

• cd1234
    edited April 2011
    Options

No American Idol for me either. My husband and son control the remote also. Kim - my headlights went down alot! After I got my tattoos, they got even flatter. They look pretty good though.

• footballmomx2
    footballmomx2 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies. I am 42. I was diagnosed at 39. I have 2 boys - ages 18 and 11. This is my first post - ever - for any kind of site, so please bear with me as I'm not very good with all of the abbreviations. I decided to go with the double mx and immediate reconstructive surgery with implants. Then ended up with an infection and lost one of the implants. Was informed that I needed to wait until after chemo to try again and ended up getting fed up with all of the medical appts and just started thinking about the reconstructive surgery recently. I'm torn between going with another implant like I have or doing the DIEP and having an implant on one side and my own tissue on the other side.  Thoughts?

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi footballmom!  I'm so sorry for all the mess you've been through-I know it must have been really hard to lose one of your implants.  I can't even imagine.

I wish I had good advice on the DIEP, but I never considered it.  My doctor said I was too thin to have it, that I would have had to get an implant as well anyway.

Have you met with your plastic surgeon to discuss the options?  Or maybe some heavy internet research.  My only insight is one of my best friend's had a DIEP, and she has some huge scars from it.  So I guess if you're concerned about that, it wouldn't be a good way to go.

Welcome!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh and Crystal, I'm expecting the headlights to go down a lot-my friend's are pretty flat actually.  I just have to get used to wearing a bra around the house.  I've been wearing a bra 24/7 for so long, sometimes I just need a break.  Like this morning, when my son missed the bus and I had to drive him to school...praying that I wouldn't get in an accident or pulled over!  lol

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello ladies!

Pleasure to meet you all but sorry it's under these circumstances...I would have much rather met you all at a nice little restaurant where we could have been toasting over who was gonna win on Amazing Race!  :)

At any rate.....I just turned 43 last week...was diagnosed last June.  I had lumpectomy, 6 rounds of T/C, and 37 rads that ended April 11th....Active treatment is over and I gotta tell you, it's bittersweet.  So glad to have it behind me, but feeling a bit apprehensive since. When I was having my treatment, I was feeling more secure that something was being done...now, aside from my AI..that is it. 

I don't have any human children, but do have a couple fur babies who have been my saving grace during this whole thing...

I have a great husband (who is deployed right now, but here for all my chemo) and except for all this business have a great life...

I'm determined to not let this define who I am or what I plan on doing in the future...I keep saying that this is just a "bump" in the road and someday it will be a distant memory, but I'm still having issues in regards to even starting to put it in the past, when really there are so many other things going on that keep putting me back in that "dark" place that I"ve been fighting to stay of since this all began...geez...

My husband will be back in June and I'm already fretting about sex and everything that goes with it because of everything that has happened...yikes!

I still enjoy an ice cold beer too!  YUMMY!

Hope to get to know you all a littlle bit better and to learn some stuff along the way!

Peace and prayers,

Tori

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Tori!  Welcome!  I would have love to have met everyone outside of this site as well.  Alas, at least we have somewhere to go where everyone understands what we're going through.

CONGRATS on finishing treatment!  That's awesome.  It's so nice to put that behind you-I remember that well.  And I know what you mean about feeling a little strange now that there's no active treatments going on-I'm glad to have to see my Onc every 3 months.  Makes me feel better.

I have 9 furry babies including 4 big dogs, 3 cats and a baby tortoise (well, I guess he can't be considered furry.)  My dog (85 lb Akita/Shepherd mix) has been such a wealth of support for me.  He greets me at the door every time I come home, would lay with me in bed or at my feet when I was in the recliner...I absolutely adore him.  They were all wonderful to have/touch/see through all of this.

I'm drinking a cold one right now-I've been craving it a lot this week.  And sugar.  Two of the things "they" say can cause cancer, whoever "they" are.  If you read or watch the news, just about everything can cause cancer.  I'm going to live my life though, and relish in my beer, or my chocolate...my preservatives in certain foods, a McDonald's cheeseburger if I so desire.  I figure I deserve it!

• gabbie18
    gabbie18 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Options

hi football mom, I'm new as well on all this.  I was diagnosed with bc on April Fool's, having a BLMX soon with immediate reconstruction.  I have an 18 yr old son and a 15 yr old daughter. I am 48 years old and unsure about the DIEP or implants.  If I have implants saline would be the way to go. However I do have extra fat around the abdomen from having 2 children.  I love to drink wine with friends and enjoy going to vineyards and tasting.  I drink occasionally with will ask my ONC about this.  I have to go through 6 rounds of chemo after surgery.  This is all so new that after reading up on all this, being pre postmenstrual is scray and thinking about having a hysterectomy after chemo so no estrogen producing ovaries in my body. 

• jackiebrown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Dear Gabbie,

I have implants and they look pretty good, all things considered. The shape is great and the procedure with implants alone is obviously easier than a DIEP. I have silicone implants, teardrop shape, the brand is McGhan/Allergan/Inamed (not sure which company name) but the style is "410 cohesive gel implants"

All my friends say they want to get the same...but I'm sure none of them want to walk the path we have all walked to get here !