Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi everyone,

I am happy to find this thread! I am 39...married...two babies 1 and 2 and I was diagnosed with triple positive bc on June 22, 2012. I just finished my last tch last Monday. Still feeling it:( getting ready for bmx on nov 6. Election Day! Guess I need to vote early!. I have found wonderful supportive women on this site...but, sometimes I want to talk about all the things in our daily life and how we cope with them while dealing with bc.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2012
    Options

Jennifer, welcome.  This thread has been a little quiet lately.  Terrific group of women though.  Mostly we chat about, jobs, kids, funny stuff as well as sharing milestones.  I guess finishing chemo and getting ready for BMX is a milestone for you.  Hope you have lots of help with your babies.  Mine were close in age too and I remember how much work it was.  My girls were fortunately older as I had my kids younger and I think that is easier in that they can take care of themselves, but harder because they really understand the fear of our BC diagnosis.

Beautiful, sunny, fall day here.  Think I may go out and try and clean up my gardens, haven't really had much attention in the past year.

• dafishwife
    dafishwife Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hello All. I hope all of you are having a good day:) Anyone here suffering frome chemo brain and just sick of not being focus-forgetful-start/stop a project.....

My Oncologist said Concerta is ok to take in the morning and 1mg Ativan at night to help sleep.

I am afraid of this....i am wondering if anyone else is prescribed a stimulant for the chemo brain?

HELP! and thank you. I am 48. ER-/PR- HER2+, Double mastectomy w/reconstruction, prescribed 6 rounds of chemo but only finished 4, my body couldnt take it, oncologist stopped it but stayed on Herceptin...4 more to go.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited October 2012
    Options

ok, I am really thinking of joining facebook.  you guys are a major part of it, plus I had a girls weekend with my college roommate last weekend and it would be nice to keep in touch with her too.

My PS dinner was great, it was so fun.  Good food and the "mentalist"  was like a mind reader/magician.  He guessed people's PIN number, favorite movie, vacation spots, even seat numbers, it was crazy.  He also guessed like cards people were thinking of and moved jewlery and other things. I can't stop talking about it!

Hope everyone is safe.  School is cancelled for next two days and I will be working from home until the power goes out at least...

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2012
    Options

Welcome to the newbies! Sorry you had to join us but hope you find love & support here. 

Saying a prayer for all my sisters on the east coast. Hoping the storm is a whole bunch of hype and nothing more. Stay safe....

• Jennifer404
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi ladies!!! Where is the fb page??? I am on fb quite a bit and I want to join:)

• bgirl
    edited October 2012
    Options

Meegan - yeah was having my daughter give me a tour of FB when she was home this week.  May join.  Hope you stay safe

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2012
    Options

bgirl, jennifer and readingmama just send a PM to Burley with your FB name so she can invite you to the group...

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hello ladies!  I don't have time to go back through all the posts I've missed in the MONTH AND A HALF I haven't been on here (bad, bad Kim), but I wanted to welcome any newbies and let them know we have a Facebook group as well.

You can either PM me with your name, or look me up on Facebook-Kim Melvin (close up of me, short hair, glasses, Queen Creek, Arizona) and send me a friend request and I'll add you to the group.

I love all of you!  You are truly some of my best friends, even though we've never met <3

• burley
    edited October 2012
    Options

oh yeah, HAHA, my Facebook picture is the same as the one on here!  Chemo brain is full on lately

• burley
    edited October 2012
    Options

Jen, I sent you a friend request.  Yayyyy.  I'm high on my Vegan lifestyle and water at the moment-feel like I've taken a Xanax.  Maybe it was the car chase we just had on the way home from a restaurant where we saw a drunk guy leaving.  We followed him for about 3 miles until the police finally caught up to us.  Mission accomplished!

• dnadebbs
    dnadebbs Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2012
    Options

hi there!   i actually live in san tan valley!   so very close to you.   it looks as if you have been through everything already.....i'm actually at the reconstruction stage and trying to figure out what to do.   did you know that there are several women that meet every month from our area who have gone thru the same thing?   would love to hear from you.

God bless!

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies not sure if any of you remember me I havent been on in a very long time, life has handed me some pretty crappy stuff but am happy to report my year check up was clean so huge sigh of relief there. I am not on fb right now as I was getting stalked on there but am thinking of opening a new account. Anyhow I just wanted to say hi and see how you have all been.

Hugs Kymn

• odie16
    edited November 2012
    Options

Welcome back Kymn.... Hope life is being kinder to you these days....

• ReadingMama
    edited November 2012
    Options

hi. learning to post from my kindle. still no fb account maybe when im home for surgery. we came through the storm better than many. we lost power for 8 days, but could sleep at sil, about 20 min away. she also loaned us generator for freezer, fridge + computer. no heat, but i was able to work from home with many sweaters and blankets. limited public transport into nyc, didnt get to work until almost 10am today. downtown has a lot of flooding damage, many stores and businesses closed still.

trip to savannah last week with girl scouts was great, a good mix of planned evnts and free time. seemed to see alot of historical downtown. eat at paula deans too!

• bgirl
    edited November 2012
    Options

Glad to hear you did ok in storm.  Got my daughter to set me up on FB when she was home.  Our 40's seem to be doing well.

• ReadingMama
    edited November 2012
    Options

Also, can't remember if I posted this, but Stage IIb revison surgery scheduled for Nov. 26th.  This will be the last one, whether it takes or not.  I've had enough!  Then onto nipples and tattoo's - is there a thread for that?  Quite bummed, the place I was getting the HBOT (the oxygen treatments) no longer does them.  trying to get set up at a hospital, but not sure can do it in time.

• bgirl
    edited November 2012
    Options

REadingMama, I passed your news on to everyone on FB group.  They would love for you to join us.  It is not to hard to join.  I did it a couple of weeks ago.  Hope you can too.  If you want to know how to find us I can PM you info.  Good luck on your surgery.

• CherylinOhio
    CherylinOhio Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies.  Well I had a mammogram for my 40th bday after finding a lump. Started out heading to surgery at stage 0-1 and ended up out of surgery 3c. Bummer!!  I am beginning my 2nd year out of active treatment and am hoping to get through the 2nd and 3rd years without incident. I understand these are the years where reoccurence is most likely to occur.  I am gearing up for turkey day as I love to eat. Usually I have a nice wine buzz on by dinner BUT something in my body seems to be rejecting the alcohol and I get sick so I will be drinking tea and grazing all day.  I will not be shopping on black friday, never have because I am usually nursing a hangover. LOL...   This year instead of a hangover I am picking up my newest family member, Tango AKA Lord of the Dance.  He is a gorgeous national show horse and I can't wait to get him.  It's supposed to rain here in Ohio but only 40% so I am hoping that I can get him during the 60% of no rain.  I hope all of you have a wonderful turkey day!!

• Jennifer404
    edited November 2012
    Options

Cheryl-congrats on the newest member of your family:) sounds beautiful! Hope the weather holds out for you:)

Hope everyone else had a very Happy Thsnksgiving:)

• ReadingMama
    edited November 2012
    Options

Surgery Monday and still on my list to set up a new email account and join Facebook while I am recovering.  Can't keep up here though, so I'm sure I can not keep up on Facebook, esp. since social media is blocked from our work computers (so I can't even check during lunch) and I don't have a smart phone...

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Look forward to seeing you on FB ReadingMama!  I don't have access to FB at work either so I do all my catching up after work.  Someday I just might break down at get a smart phone but right now I am too cheap!

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Look forward to seeing you on FB ReadingMama!  I don't have access to FB at work either so I do all my catching up after work.  Someday I just might break down at get a smart phone but right now I am too cheap!

• btrflynaia
    btrflynaia Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I'm 42 without kids......waiting to meet my prince charming.  I was diagnosed at the end of September and had a BMX with TE placement.  I am waiting on oncotype score to determine next phase of treatment.  Chemo or no chemo....but, def. 5 yrs of tamoxofen.  I would love to be part of this group or the FB group. 

Namaste'

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi gals, I just found this group. I am 47 and just 6 weeks out from my BMX and TE's. Oncotype was 8 so fortunately no chemo for m. Started Tamoxifen 10/31 and so far no SE's on that. Look forward to joining the FB group too. -Aimee

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012
    Options

Welcome!!

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2012
    Options

Welcome!!!!

• odie16
    edited November 2012
    Options

Sorry you have to join us but welcome to the group...

Namaste!

• jkeller3
    jkeller3 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi all, I am 39 and have two little boys ages 4 and 10 months.  I start chemo in 2 weeks and nervous about the unknown especially when it comes to my boys.  I have a great supportive husband fortunately! I also work full time. 

Jennifer we have a similar diagnosis.  What made you choose TCH versus AC-TH?  I know about the heart issues any other reason?  Also curious about your choice of BMX.  I had a lumpectomy and now wondering if that was the right decision.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013
    Options

jkeller... I chose TC instead of ACT (no H for me) because of the heart thing, and Taxotere is prven to be very successful, but ACT is the strongest you can get... so it depends.

As for lumpectomy v MX, I originally had a lumpectomy, then started chemo. I had time to think and research. In the end, I decided to have a BMX which also meant I didn't need radiation. I have a laundry list of reasons I chose this route, but have no regrets. I actually travelled to New Orleans from NJ to have it done because I wanted to have a DIEP flap and the doctors in NOLA are the best at the flap.

Theoretically, I am no  longer 40ish as I had my 50th b-day this past Friday. But I am still here anyway!