Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2013
    Options

Nancy, I actually had a fill during my BMX so I woke up with a little cleavage in the hospital. One side never did really have wrinkles but the cancer side did for a month or two. I think it depends on how they did the do the incisions. Mine was one big one from the middle of my chest to under my armpit. The muscle was sore on days where they filled a little too much but from what I have heard us large gals have a lot less discomfort than some with small ones.  I just made sure to keep stretching and I had full range of motion fairly quickly. I have to say I can't wait for summer and not having to worry about bra straps under tank tops. Never been able to do that before.

-Aimee 

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Nancy and Karrie! I'm glad you found us. We are all in different stages of surgeries and treatments, so we have a lot to offer. Wonderful group of ladies here. I'm so blessed to have known them for the last two years!

We also have a group on Facebook if you would like to join us there. Send me a pm, and I can add you.

For me, fill days and the days after were really painful. But I was small before and hardly had any skin to work with. Valium and Tylenol were definitely needed.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited March 2013
    Options

Nancy - how about hitting a pillow or screaming into a pillow. I do not recommend walls or other people cause that can hurt your hand ;~)

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013
    Options

Iatigger-  ia m also thinking about those bra free,strappy dresses and what to do whit all my huge bras!!!!  I also have different inscisions on each side, i think they needed as much acess for the bmx, but were trying to be cautious to save my nips.  My 4 year old saw me getting dressed yesterday and announced Mom i do not like your boobs.  I tried not to laught, i just said yeah me neither, but they wont always look like this, soon they will look like what you were use to.  He said okay, cuz i dont like those!!!!

O2Bhealthy,   my hub pulled my last to drains last nite, our ps assistant said he could, i was kinda freaked but it went great-I am untethered!!!! woo hoo!  Not sure why I a in a funk today, can't get any energy, i was great yesterday, perhaps i overdid it?  I think if i can get out and walk i can burn off this frustration energy!

• CowgirlTuff
    CowgirlTuff Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies!  I'm not really sure if this is the right place for me to post or not.  I was diagnosed in 2007 at age 39.  I had found the lump years before when it was very tiny, but numerous mammograms, compression studies, and ultrasounds all said it was a cyst and I was told for years not to worry about it.  Finally the lump got too large, and I decided to have it removed.  Imagine my surprise when I found out it was cancer!  I had a BMX the month after that, and then went into liver failure from a reaction to something they gave me during the surgery (either an antibiotic or an anesthetic).  I was jaundiced and sick for months and couldn't start chemo because of it.  Eventually, my liver improved and we started chemo.  After the chemo was over, I started Tamoxifen.  I am still on it, but developed a complex ovarian cyst and enlarged uterus while taking it.  My remaining ovary was removed this past January at age 44 (my other ovary was removed in my 20's due to severe endometriosis) and now my doc wants to switch me to Arimidex.  I'm really scared of taking the Arimidex.  I think it's bad enough that my ovaries are gone at age 44, but to completely deplete myself of estrogen really scares me.  But since they left my uterus in, my doc wants me off the tamoxifen.  Anyway... that's where I'm at right now.  I have to get a dexascan and some bloodwork, and then I have an appointment with my onc in April to (probably) switch to Arimidex. 

I'm married, but don't have kids (just fur-kids for us).  I work full time and am pretty active-- I ride my horse, ride my bike and like to kayak and hike.  Despite that and really watching what I eat, I've still gained weight on the tamoxifen-- I'm about 10 lbs overweight, and it won't budge!  I'm sure that won't be any better on the Arimidex! 

Anyway... just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi!

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Cowgirltuff, sounds like you had a really rough experience the last couple years. I like to think the weight gain comes from being in our 40's. I know mine did long before I started on Tamoxifen and I actually have been fortunate to have lost 20 lbs since my diagnosis but don't know if it is due to the Tamox or just all the stress and things that come with the DX. Hoping all goes well for you if you switch to Arimidex.

• burley
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome cowgirltuff!  So glad you've found us!  You fit perfectly :)

• burley
    edited March 2013
    Options

Nancy-I'm not sure if I found the right you on Facebook.  Look for me-Kim Melvin.  I look just like my picture.  Should say I'm from Queen Creek, Arizona.  :)

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013
    Options

Kim  HI i found you and sent a friend request.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013
    Options

Cowgirl.... I think (could be wrong) that I read or was told that the risk of tamoxifen causing uterine cancer is so slim and the risk of bone loss is greater with the AI. So when I spoke with my MO he is leaning toward keeping me on tamoxifen for 10 years, til I am 59, but wants to re-discuss next year. Initially he thought 3 years Tammy and 2 years AI.... Newer studies show 10 years of Tammy are optimal... I do not want bone loss, etc... And believe I have a greater risk of that than uterine cancer.... Plus, my gyn says that uterine cancer risks can be monitored...looking for spotting etc.. But it is true the risk goes up post menopausal.

• CowgirlTuff
    edited March 2013
    Options

bdavis--  I hope you are right that the risk of uterine cancer is small, as I would really prefer to stay on the Tamoxifen.  Especially with me riding horses, I really don't want any more bone loss than what will happen with the oophorectomy.  I do have a small fibroid, though, and I'm not sure if that will get worse on the Tamoxifen for 10 years. 

• CowgirlTuff
    edited March 2013
    Options

iatigger-- You are probably right about the weight gain being an over 40 thing, although I will say that I only noticed the "jiggly" tummy after I started the Tamoxifen, so I tend to blame it on that! 

• burley
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hey girls, if I haven't responded to you on Facebook, I'm sorry.  For some reason I can't see a lot of the updates on my phone.  Hopefully I've added those that need to be added?  If I haven't, send me a friend request.  Kim Melvin.  Thanks!

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies,

How are you? It's been a while since I was on this forum, probably over a year since I posted anything.  Been busy with life, and the kids (6 year old twin girls).  I was diagnosed in 2010, BMX in Sept 2010, chemo and herceptin.  Once I was done with herceptin my life became absolutely crazy with catching up with the kids and friends, felt like I neglected everyone while I was going thru treatment, so there was very little time to catch up on this forum.  I would read posts here and there, but thought it was time for me to move forward and try to forget (as if that is ever possible) about cancer.  I thought I was fine until today.  One of my dear friends had a re-occruance a few months ago and now she is getting ready for hospice.  She is 37 years old! It really hits home because I was 39 when I was diagnosed.  Anyway, just wanted to say hi and re-aquaint myself with all you wonderful ladies again.

Basia

• burley
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hey there Basia!

I totally understand about trying to move on. I think a lot of girls who originally started out here have done just that. There's a large group of us on Facebook and would love for you to join us there. Send me a friend request, Kim Melvin (should be same or similar picture, I live in Queen Creek, Arizona) and I will add you to the group. E communicate daily and actually all day long there. Lots of great ladies and lots of fun.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I know it's extra hard when it's someone close to our own age. We have a couple ladies that are in stages of recurrence, and some that are actively going through treatment.

Hope to see you there! Take care, Kim

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited June 2013
    Options

Thanks Kim! Will friend you, my name is Barbara Syversen so when you get the request, please don't ignore it :)

Last night I said my final goodbye to my friend.  She passed away Sunday night with her family holding her hand. 

• burley
    edited June 2013
    Options

Barbara, I added you to the group.

I'm so, so sorry to hear about your friend.  I can't imagine how hard that was for you.  We're here for you.  xo

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2013
    Options

bump!

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2013
    Options

Basia, sorry to hear about your friend.  wow i dont understand cancer, some had re-occurance but live for years and some are so unlucky :(.  I hate cancer!!!

• burley
    edited December 2013
    Options

we are still an active group for anyone that is interested. We have just moved over to Facebook :)

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Burley can you invite me on the fb link?? My fb is Kymn Perry. Thanks looking forward to reconnecting

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi everyone!  Dx'd last Oct. at age 46.  Had UMX w/TE in Nov. and am scheduled for my exchange sgx in 1 month.  I will also be having a reduction/lift on non-cancer side.  I have been one of the "lucky" ones, not needing rads or chemo, but am on Tamoxifen now.  Again, lucky, as I have so far not noticed any significant SE's from it.  Looking forward to my exchange sgx, and hoping my luck will continue and everything will turn out ok and I will be happy w/results.  I'm a married gal (27 yrs.) with a 24 yr. old son.  DH has been very supportive and loving throughout all my emotional high and lows.  He thought I was complex before - Little did he know that it could get much worse!  

• SportsMomma
    SportsMomma Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello to all of you! I've been a "visitor" here for quite some time as well as other boards.  While I'm close to my 2 year "Cancerversary", I still feel as if I'm in the middle of the fight.  Recently, I've started experiencing a great deal of anxiety fearing a recurrence.  I have a strong family history...Great-grandmother, grandmother, and even lost my own mother at the age of 49.  I am 43 now and while I know God's plan is perfect....and my head tells me that faith has no place for fear....My heart argues.
    Throughout all the tests, surgeries, and chemo....I had a HUGE support system of family and friends.  And while I could still call upon them for virtually anything....I feel stupid doing so now.  I should be celebrating my cancer freedom, instead of questioning it.  Survivorship is a lonely place....which is why I've decided to join in here.  I've maintained a blog of my journey from the very beginning....working through each of my feelings. I've received much comfort from that....but I guess its nice to come here and know I'm not alone.  Thank you for the site and look forward to joining in with you all.
    Blessings.... 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Terri ~ Welcome.

I will be celebrating my 5 year and it does get better with time but I dont think the anxiety ever goes away.   I honestly did not start to feel physically better until the last year and a half.  Emotionally, I still have days but they are fewer and farther inbetween.  I am thrilled you had such a great support system, there are so many of use who fought our battles with little or no support.  

Survivorship can be a lonely place.  The average person has no idea how hard it is not to wonder or worry about the cancer returning.   Somedays I can be hyper-vigilant over my health and other days I like to stick my head in the sand.  

You may find that this thread is not very active.  The majority of the ladies in the group are now on a private Facebook group (if you are FB and want to join in just pm me your name and I will contact the admin for the group). 

BCO was my life saver during my inital dx and tx.  Now I only check in when this thread and one other gets a post but neither are very active anymore.  

Blessings ~ Michelle

• burley
    edited April 2014
    Options

Monis-sorry I haven't been checking the group for a while.  We have a group of 53 members on Facebook that talk daily.  Would you like to join us there?  Send me a friend request-Kim Melvin, short hair, glasses, live in Queen Creek, Arizona-and I can add you to the group!

Sportsmama, the exact same thing goes for you.

I love the group over there because it's so active.  We have so many ladies in all different stages of recovery and even some still in treatment.  We'd love to have you!

Kim

• srdc2013
    srdc2013 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Kim - I just sent you a friend request (I think that was you!) I would love to join the group. I am going to exchange next week and then have 5 more Herceptin treatments. The "end" of treatment is almost in sight. My local support group tends to lose people after their first few visits and it's at a hard time to get to anyway. Thanks!

• burley
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi there! I did get a request from a Sharon. Is that you? I'll go accept it! :)

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't find you on FB....same profile pic on FB as here?
  • burley
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi ToriGirl! I just sent you a private message. I'm so sorry I didn't get notification of your post back in February.

Check your messages and we're still very active on Facebook if you would like to join us.

Thanks, Kim

• burley
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi any new girls! I'm sure this group is far back and hard to fine. We have a terrific support group on Facebook.

If you would like to join, send me a friend request and I'll accept then add you to the group right away.

Kimberley Melvin, should say from Queen Creek, Arizona (and my profile pic is a political sign.)

Everyone else, Hi!