Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• Dutchie
    Dutchie Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey ladies and happy belated birthday Betsy! You are awesome and will rock 50.

Just wanted to let you know that I invited jkeller3 to join us over here because we all know what she's dealing with and I know you fantastic ladies can help her with her questions and support and welcome her the way you did me.

Glad to see you here jkeller3 and happy to help any way I can. I know you're nervous but it will be better once you're in the groove and in treatment and working towards a goal. It's hard to wait.

Hope you keep checking in with us!

Jennie

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi Jkeller, It all seems overwhelming in the beginning.  Just focus on today and what you need to do and deal with now.  It is easier to deal with the what-ifs when you realize that things are okay as you go through treatment.  Know that there are others here who don't judge, so feel free to share your concerns and joys on this journey.

Jen, hope you are feeling better today.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi to all you gals,  I have not been on in a long time!! Happy birthday again Betsy!!  I think you will always belong to the group.. We will need to start a thread to celebrate the 40 somethings 50ish thread ( I am not far behind you!!)  So happy you enjoyed your birthday. I heard in the FB group there are some gals posting here and I just wanted to say....it was so scary at the beginning...but I found treatment to be not too bad at all.  I had three FEC then 3- Taxotere then 28 rads.  I think everyone is so different as far as how they feel after infusion, but for me it was really not bad. Just wanted to send some happiness to you all..I guess now being on the other side I feel you need to know it is not so bad, and the light at the end of the tunnel is very bright!!  

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome Jkeller!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey, hey JK!

So, I work full-time.  My son was 4 and a half when I was dx'd.  I'm also Her2+.  I did a BMX, but honestly, I probably didn't need to.  I was just at my wits end when it was time for that decision.  Everything in the literature says that lumpectomy or mastectomy, it doesn't affect survival rates. 

In March it will be 2 years since my dx.  In November I finished my year of Herceptin (that part was total cake).  My chemo was a clinical trial, so it was different than most.  Where are you?  Hope to see you over on FB.  Seriously, these women are the BEST.  We keep each other going, and laughing, and sometimes even yelling "balls" at the top of our lungs.  :)

Oh, one last thing for now...don't be a hero...a little something to help you sleep isn't crazy.  I took some Klonopin as needed to sleep at the beginning...my hubby worked at night, and I didn't want anything to zonk me out so I couldn't awaken if my son needed me.  It didn't ZONK me, but it slowed my brain from jumping all over the place, thinking of death, all sorts of nuttiness.  Truly, it was a lifesaver at the time.  (I still have most of the bottle too)

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2013
    Options

Also, I need a new pic on here with my curly hair!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi Jkeller, and all the others I've missed.  I've been away from the boards for a while, but I'm going to check in to this thread. 

Jkeller, I had a lumpectomy as well, had chemo first to shrink it, had A LOT of time to think about it....it felt right for me. I work full time, through treatment too, I don't know what you do, but my brain was fuzzy quite a bit.  Working with numbers was a challange. I had to always double check my double check.

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi Jkeller  welcome to the group

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome to Jkeller - I haven't been on here in a really long time, but used to just about live on this thread in particular.  I'm also not very familiar with some of the newer members to this group, but am one of the original members of the group that moved to Facebook.

Come here for support, but only if it makes you feel better, not more confused.  I am triple positive and have six kids.  A little over 2 years since diagnosis and I was 43.  I was very open with my kids and told them what I knew about diagnosis, treatment, etc.  I had one treatment of TCH then switched to AC plus Herceptin after an allergic reaction to TCH.  I had a few heart issues during treatment, but all have subsided at this point.  It probably has all of this on my status, but can't remember if they list all of that or not.  Also had radiation, 17 Herceptin infusions, was on Tamoxifen but now on Arimidex.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi Jkeller and all.  I too haven't visited for a while.

It's nearly two years since my dx on March 2nd.  Where has the time gone?  After having a MX in March 2011, I am finally have DIEP recon in a week.  This time next week I will be in surgery.  It is starting to weigh on my mind ... but in a good way.

Please know Jkeller that you will get through this.  It's not the most fun you will ever have, but is do-able.  I have 2 children and they are my reason to fight with everything that I have. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013
    Options

Kiwi... In a week I will be having my stage IIb from DIEP... You will do great!

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey Jackie!  I sent you a friend request on Facebook so I can add you to the group :)

• kiwimum
    edited January 2013
    Options

Betsy - I have a bra question.

What happens post surgery?  Are you all bandaged up and sent home? Or are the bandages gone?  My surgeon has said to expect 8 nights in hospital (including the night before as I'm first up and 7.30am)

When do you wear a bra?  I am having DIEP on the right side and a lift and symmetry on the left.

When you do wear a bra, does it have underwire?

• kiwimum
    edited January 2013
    Options

One more question - what does stage 2 involve? Is it minor in comparison?

• bdavis
    edited January 2013
    Options

I woke up in a surgical bra, no bandages. I was to wear the surgical bra was 2 weeks straight, then I could wear anything except an underwire. I did switch to underwire sometime later but I can't remember when.

Over here, stage I is just about moving the donor flap. Depending on the surgeon, lifting the contralateral side is sometimes done during stage II, but could be done at stage I. Stage II also includes:  scar revision, shaping, breaking up necrosis, nipple, lipo, fat grafting... I had GAP and DIEP flaps so I also had a butt lift at stage II.

This next stage II (next week) I am getting a baby flap (from my armpit/lat fat) to replace necrostic tissue. I am also getting another butt lift, lipo, fat grafting and a little re-shaping of the other non-necortic breast.

• kiwimum
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks Betsy.  It sounds like stage 2 for you is quite significant.

My surgeon wasn't that keen to do the lift at the same time but I talked him into it.  I would rather have both healing at the same time, rather than have a "lift" surgery.  Fingers crossed it works out!

I'm not sure what happens at Stage 2 here.  What day is your surgery?  Mine is Friday here (Thursday there)

• bdavis
    edited January 2013
    Options

Good luck ... Mine is Wednesday.

• kiwimum
    edited January 2013
    Options

I'll be thinking of you. One day before mine. Good luck to you too!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome Jkeller

It may seem overwhelming now but it will get better and we are here for you the entire way!

kiwimum, love the new pic. Wishing you and Betsy the best with your surgeries this week..

Hey there and hugs to everyone!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013
    Options

Odie... Just saw this... Thanks-

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013
    Options

HI  I am happy to find this group in my age group.  I was dx first time at age 40, which was a lumpectomy and radiation.  After a reg mammo in dec 2012, i had a biopsy that said Its baaaack.  Both were dcis, but came back in less than 3 years, so i am not so sure about that mx  vs. lump/rads being equal.  I do not fit any groups ,family,lifestyle etc. (except i did have my kiddos as an older mommy)  My boys are 8 and 4 and are the sweetest things in my life, oh and a pretty darn good hub that has been supporting me too!  My nipple sparing BMX was Feb 28 and I have TE's in and the pain is improving each day.  I am so ready for a fill, so i can stop looking at my granny boobs.  my boobs were huge before so i have lots of skin that needs filled up.  I make lots of jokes about all the crap i've gone through, guess some people expect me to be more serious abou the nature of BC, but we all deal with things our own way.  I do not want to feel like a victim, but a triumpant gladiator that stomped the BC into the dirt.

Nancy Lamb

• bdavis
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Nancy, and you are a warrior!!!

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Nancy, sorry you had to do a BMX after doing the lumpectomy. I looked forward to my weekly fills and getting back to normal size, I was a large boob gal as well. Finally have my squishy swap date for May and can't wait. Hang in there every day gets easier or more normal.

-Aimee

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Nancy.... Sorry you had to join us but promise to cheer you on as you stomp BC to oblivion!!!

• Dutchie
    Dutchie Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Nancy! So glad you found us!

• GreenCowgirl
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you girls for the warm welcome!  I was really needing a lift today, between pain and just starting to let the reality seep in, I can feel myself getting the blues.  I am a typical kick ass cowgirl and hate feeling weak.  Grrrr I hate this shit and really need to punch something, but then that would hurt my granny boobs.hahha. 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome GreenCowgirl!! It does get better but sometimes punching something does help :)

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Nancy!

• kap
    kap Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi ladies. I was diagnosed the day before I turned 41. I also have young kids at home. My son just turned 8 and my daughter will be 10 next week. I am 5 days out from my bmx and on the road to recovery. I would love to make some friendships with people who get what I'm going through.

Karrie

• GreenCowgirl
    edited March 2013
    Options

o2bhealthy,  Got anything in mind for punching!!:)  I just feel better having found this group of ladies that seem to really get it. I am only 13 days out of BMX , Te's(big ol 700) and SNB and my general surgeon doc is treating me like a junkie because i want her to refill the vallium scrip-WTH!!!!  I have been looking at the ladies going through the fills and i want to make sure i have some for that fun appt. Sounds like vallium and tylenol is the way to go.

Iatigger- How many fills did you have to do to get rid of the wrinkly skin?  my boobs were huge,so they love having all the extra skin to work with, but its the musle that will be more unhappy about it all.  i have triple set of wrinkle folds from the expanders being empty.  I am soo taking a pic so i can see the progression with fills and to show others it does get better.

Welcome kap (Karrie)  I just joined here to and feel very at home already, I am sure you will too.

Nancy