Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2011

That's wonderful Gina!  I remember when I met my pain management doctor and she told me I was not imagining my pain...to be validated after so long and so many other doctors just  have just blown you off...

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2011

Irr4993:  Did you know that you don't always have to prick your finger to get blood sugar results.  Two of our six kids are type 1 diabetics and they both prick their forearm for readings.  MUCH less painful - you might want to ask the doc about it - and you also have to get a lancet device that allows you to forearm or finger test - you just switch out a little plastic piece at the end.  I believe ours is the Freestyle brand lancet device.  It's a little chunkier than most devices and is easier to hold while testing.  It definitely has made out lives much easier - and the 3 month test is called a Hemoglobin A1C - it gives the docs an average blood sugar reading for the last 3 months.

• juliehowell
    juliehowell Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2011

Hey Martha!

I actually graduated from Churchill!!!  Have you always lived there?  How old were you when you had bc?

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

thanks, ach. I did know that and will look at those.  Either way, I am going to hate it. Yell

I thought I remembered seeing some sort of blood sugar device advertised on TV that was prickless.  I cannot seem to find it so I must be remembering the commerical incorrectly.  I did see that there is one that is test-stripless so maybe that is what I saw. 

So my PCP talked me into my first ever flu shot yesterday.  I have never had one and have only had the flu twice; most recently about 15 years ago.  I figured with all my immune system has been through, maybe it is a good idea this year.  So far, I am regretting this decision.  My arm is killing me.  There is a decent sized lump and bruising where the shot was and my arm aches all the way down into  my hand.  Ugh.   

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Oh no, Lisa!  We got our first flu shots ever this year too.  My arm hurt for days.  Even toughie hubby complained.  The nurse said they were bad this year.  My didn't lump up or bruise though!  Yikes.   

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

I got my shot last week... no lump or bruise... barely felt her give it... Maybe in comparison to all else this year...

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Julie did you mean me, and Churchill in San Antonio? I didn't go look back at the boards.....

This new doc wants to give me my first ever flu shot too! We are going to wait until this nerve thing is resolved - hopefully by my follow up in two weeks.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Hey Everyone,

What a busy weekend for everyone... I'm happy you all are out doing stuff

Michelle...hope you found your way and enjoyed the music...I can not get anywhere without GPS

Meegan...hope the birthday party was fun

Sarah...did you enjoy the bonfires?

Gina...I hope today finds you feeling better.

Kim...Your last post ...you sound happier....Hope this sounds right but you sound like you...upbeat..so that made me smile..hope you had ( are having) a good weekend

I will be getting a flu shot too...I have had them many times though..I used to volunteer each week with a first grade class and they always had some kind of yuck they were fighting and I needed to not pass on yuck to my family. My son has an irregular heartbeat so...I do try to keep us all as healthy as I can....

Hope I didn't miss anyone...can not go back and check again..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Oh my goodness...stupid GPS!!!! We got to Phoenix almost two hours early and the kids wanted 'In and Out Burger' typed it in GPS and started driving...we must have used the 'take the most residental/back roads route' option because 35 minutes later the GPS said 'you have reached your destination...' we were in front of someones house...of course we were laughing and goofing around but we had to figure out how to get to downtown!  I told the kids that if I could find a major street I could get us back to the freeway and hopefully find our way to the concert...wouldn't you know it...20 minutes later we passed an 'In and Out Burger' but there was no time to stop!!! We made it to the concert...missed the first band but got to hear the other 9...the kids had a blast and passed out on the way home leaving me alone to jam out to the CD's we bought :)

Burley... did you find a place to ride???

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Burley - so happy to see you posting, I was wondering how you were feeling.  I am glad you are feeling better these days, please keep popping in here for us non-FBers!

Michelle, glad you at least made it the concert and had fun in the end.

Lisa - You are lucky to have a PCP you like.  I have not seen mine in over two years, ever since my dx, I was just too busy with all the cancer doctors to find time to see the PCP, esp. since I don't have a close relationship with her.  But my girlfriend recommended someone she goes to, so it is on my list for 2012!  I got a flu shot this year, only 2nd time, 1st time was last year when I was dx, my MO gave it to me when I met her, before chemo, and they offerred it to me during my Herceptin trmts this year, I first said no, but then got dx again, so had it the next week.

My son's part was great, thanks.  All the kids seemed to have a great time, they were really wild, but the 2 college age kids did a great job playing games with them, etc., so it worked out really well.

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Hello Everyone!  It looks like everyone had a pretty good weekend.  Had a great weekend in Charleston with my oldest DD.  She loved it and it was nice to connect with her by herself for a change. 

Michelle I am envious of the Winter Jam.  Went to a Jam not sure what kind a long time ago and it was fun.

Still not sure if I am going to jump in line for a flu shot.  Never had one and have never had the flu either.  I think I will wait and see. 

Christine- thank you for your comment on the implant thread.  I think whippetmom was a little confused!  :)  I don't think she realizes that we "talk" in other places too.  I am having a really hard time deciding what to do about further reconstruction.  You all can weigh in and give me you opinions.  I am what they are calling on here a "bodacious" broad and as of right now there are no  implants big enough for what I need.  Trying to decide if I need to travel to get a DIEP consult.  But I also like my PS, but he can't do a DIEP.  I just want to make the right decision.  My PS says he can work with me to get the right result, but how long is it going to take to get there, if a DIEP is what I need how would I know for sure?  I don't want my belly malshapened either and this is what I am hearing about the DIEP too.  AHHHH!!!!  I hate this.  Sorry this has been on my mind so much.  I am just tired and am ready to be finished and get on with life!!!  

Meegan glad the party went well.  Burley- you sound so much better, I am glad you are feeling better. Sorry if I missed anyone, can't go back to read now.  Have a great Monday everyone!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

Hi Mamachick, Whippetmom did not know that we on these threads are the best.  I realy do want you to know that if I could help you if you choose to travel to charelston I would.  I could stay and help with feeding you, transportation, ect.  Maybe this would make it easier for your husbanc if he needed to be working or taking care of you children some of this time.  Get all the info you can and when you deciede how to procede, you will know you made the right choice.

Hoping everyone has a great week.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Stacey... I had hip flaps and DIEP flap and haven't even had stage II yet and am not mis-shaped... You should look at the pictures on Tim Tam's site so you can see before and after pictures.

When I went to the first PS who wanted to do implants, he was suggesting very large implants (I was a 36 C/D) and I was imagining them being heavy and uncomfortable... he also said I did not have enough fat for 2 c/d breast to have a DIEP... so I travelled to New Orleans and they recommended a stacked DIEP (using hip and abs) In the end, they only needed hips... but I had a MX complication and ended up going back and getting the DIEP too... I go next week for stage II where they will reallocate the fat and I get a butt lift (YAY) and lipo at thighs, upper stomach, love handles or whatever I want.... plus they will lift the breast and build my nipple. I have no regrets going this route... and in addition to Dr Dellacroce and Sullivan in NOLA, there is Dr MAssey in Charleston... all great!

• angelfromabove
    angelfromabove Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2011

My oncologist ordered an mri for last thur. the insurance company is still reviewing it. what other scans besides an mri? ct? i haven't had any yet. waiting on insurance company now

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited November 2011

I have some peeling, and the scar areas are getting pink, but doing ok. I am a little nervous for the next several weeks of rads, because I teach zumba and I am a little worried that it will start to get uncomfortable.

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Mammachick - I have seen several threads where the PS used both implants and fat grafting...there in a Dr. K in Florida who pioneered the procedure with pretty great results.  I'll try to remember who it was who posted about it and bring in the link... I remember reading about it think I might go that route when these implants need to be replaced, I will admit they feel heavy and in the winter my foobs are always cold. 

Winter Jam was pretty awesome!  My kids had such a great time jamming out to their favorite christian bands and I had a blast watching them

Angelfromabove - my oncologist would not authorize any scans after treatment...I do get annual breast MRI's because I had BMX with recon and there is not enough breast tissue for mammo's. 

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

sorry the picture is so big...I cannot figure out how to make it smaller...

• angelfromabove
    edited November 2011

Hi Betsy--I was only on tamox from May until august of this year. i stopped taking it a few weeks before reconstructive surgery. So I thought the back pain would go away. I've never had spinal pain before in my life. I exercise and ran the Boston marathon months before all the craziness started and I was diagnosed. My vertebrae seem stiff and breakable! its very strange. I have to let oncologist know insurance company still hasn't approved mri. Tamox gave me major side effects (instantly stopped periods, bone pain, and fatigue). I just thought these side effects would be gone since I've been off of it for several months. Your thoughts? I really appreciate the response. I am so busy with work and my two sons but I cant blow this off. Have a nice week1

• angelfromabove
    edited November 2011

o2bhealthy--cute pic! Interesting..i had MX and asked dr how that breast will be monitored because of deep tissue margin that didn't clear. was told no chest mri..rely on self-exam. odd to me because I never had a lump the first time but had widespread dcis. maybe the spine pain is still from tamox but thought it would be out of my system by now.

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Angel...I am sorry I didn't see the post regarding bone pain.   I had some rib pain and leg bone pain that lasted for several months...my onc ordered a Bone Scan that thankfully came back clear.   I would fight for a Bone/PET scan to make sure there is nothing more worrisome going on...  I stopped Tamoxifen and it took several months for me to notice a decrease in the joint pain and depression/anxiety...how long have you been off the tamoxifen?   

I had ONE post surgery mammo and questioned my onc about future mammos since if I were to have a surface recurrence I would most likey feel it but if I were to have a chest wall recurrence , there is no way I would feel it under the implants and muscles and a mammo does not look at the chest wall.  She finally agreed to no more mammo's... Edited to add...duhhhhh just re-read your post that you stopped Tamoxifen in August...I am a dork :)

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

angelfromabove... I haven't started tamoxifen yet. I start in December, and fear the side effects (fatique, joint pain, hair thinning, nail issues), but also hope that just like with chemo, I can ward off the ill effects by being proactive. Just haven't figured out how to do that yet... One idea was Biotin for hair and nails... I wonder if the claritin would help with joint pain as it supposedly did for Neulasta... No one could explain it, but said that Claritin (yes, the allergy drug) helps joint pain... Since I take allergy meds anyway, might as well be that... Really don't want to take Ibuprofen daily.

I am very interested in the breast monitoring and  will pursue that in the spring when I am all healed from surgeries...

• angelfromabove
    edited November 2011

Hi Michelle, You are funny not a dork! hahah Is a bone scan or pet scan as effective as mri? im fine with any scan as long as they do something. oncologist said mri (3 of them) of complete spine. Cleveland Clinic told me it would be 10k out of pocket expense if insurance doesn't approve it. oncologist will then have to appeal. i was only on tamox from may-aug. I so agree with you..no way with implants/muscles to feel lump and cant look at chest wall. How are you doing otherwise? You are so strong to get through what you have been through!

• angelfromabove
    edited November 2011

Hi Betsy--Well, one thing I discovered with tamox is some women have lots side effects, some have few and some tolerate it better. I am sensitive to all meeds and never take any so that may contribute. I tried to say the benefits outweigh the side effects but wasn't feeling that way. i was exhausted after a week of work and running the kids to their sports. i may go back on it but oncologist said wait until after mri (if i ever get one!) Yes, let me know what your dr says about monitoring. my dr isn't too concerned but my cancer was not invasive. Just the one chest wall margin is really why they said to take tamo. It is nice to chat with people who understand this. I've really kept all this in, have not even told my neighbors, and just didn't even know where to reach out for support till this site...thanks for advice....

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Ladies,

I think monitoring the chest wall and nodes (what a mammo can't do anyway) is totally worth fighting for... With implants though, I think you are entitled since possible rupture is supposed to be monitored... I don't have implants so I have  weakened case... And MRIs are indeed expensive.. I know I need pre-authorization to get one.

• angelfromabove
    edited November 2011

Goodnight Michelle and Betsy...early to rise!!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Yes, off to bed.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Zumbagirl~ hang in there and listen to your body, please.  Make sure you are using the cream recommended by your RO.  The last week of rads I peeled under my arm, it was uncomfortable, not unbearable though.

Hope you exercising through rads helps your energy level, I had none the last week of rads. 

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

I had a pre BMX Bone scan so I had a baseline scan to work from...it cost me about $1,900 out of pocket (I have a HIGH deductible) for the piece of mind of know there was no change from the baseline scan...honestly I am not sure what kinda of scan is better then the other...I have put off this years MRI until after Jan 1...not sure what my out of pocket will be, however I worry that if I have the MRI now and they find something I will have to start all over next year with treatment.  I don't mean to sound like a 'downer' but with 2 cancer diagnosis's in two years I guess I am a little gun shy...

Have a good night all!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone..

Christine I would like to volunteer to help you with mamachick...so if you decide to go this route mamachick ..let me know..I  have had conversations with Dr. Massey via email...and also her helpers...sounds like she is doing some pretty amazing things and she is also working in the area of lymph node transfer. Anyway...my feeling is-- I would like to do something...she does answer email personally ( I was shocked ) so it may be worth looking into ...you really should be able to come out of this happy with your body...if I can help ...it would just be great to do it in this waySmile OH ...I was reading that NOLA thread some time ago and (Betsy) could probably share more, but from what I gather some of the girls do go to Charleston instead of New Orleans..I think there are some very affordable places to stay for those of us with breast cancer..I will have to go back and read again....

Zumba...I can not remember how many rads you will have??  I hope you can stay nice and soft, I will say at the end...the last week ..may be a bit uncomfy..I hope not ...but maybe..I think most of us at the end did burn and peel and it can become a bit tender...as I say this though...you may not have this SE at all...we will hope you sail through without being tender.

Michelle...great picture and what fun to spend that kind of time with your children...I'm sure they will always remember that ...sounds like even getting lost was  kinda funSmile

Have a good day everyone!!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Love the pick Michell, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Sorry girls can't weigh in on the rads or the tamox. had neither.  I request a PET scan if I have anything questionable.  It covers most of the body. They block out the brain and it starts at your knees. My docs have never said anything about a mammo or breast MRI after having a BMX.  I don't see how a mammo would show anything. And I don't ever want to go through a breast MRI again if I don't have to.

Betsy- how many surgeries does the DIEP require?  Where I would be going is 3 hours away and I would have to make arrangements for the kids.  I might leave DIEP as a last resort and have it done in the future when things need to be redone, like Michelle says.  I was looking forward to the tummy tuck.  Believe me they would have enough fat to make a triple E on me.  Laughing  I was a full C or small D before the BMX.  The DIEP seems so involved and I don't know if it will fit into my life right now.  I guess I just need to wait and see if they ever get back to me and also see what my PS has found out, also pick his brain about the DIEP.

Michelle I can understand wanting to wait till after the first of the year.  Scan anxiety is the pits and in your case with 2 histories I think I would feel the same way.  Hope everyone is having a good day!