Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• andeerae
    andeerae Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011

I am glad to see that I am not the only 40 something on this site.  I want to talk about everything under the sun.  I was also glad to see that you live in Queen Creek.  I live in Mesa!!! I have a 16 year old son.  I also have two other kids, ages 25 and 20.  Yes, I started young.  I found out yesterday that I am going to have a bilateral mastectomy.  I am scared about looking like a freak.  My breasts are not the best right now, but they are mine and the idea of giving them up is a bit wierd.  I was strong yesterday and felt like it was the right thing to do...I still do, but I am not feeling so strong anymore.  Lets become friends!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Hi Everybody...

before I forget names ( can't go back to other page)...welcome Julie and andeerea...I will be 46 in May...so I'm not a youngster here. I'm sorry to read you will need to undergo the MX andeerea  it is not a path any of us thought we would travel...I will tell you it gets better as you make your way...there are so many wonderful women here on this thread ..so willing to give advice when needed or to lighten the load...hope we can all be helpful in some way.

Julie...I have a soon to be 14 year old son..and I wish now I could go back and read what you posted...so I will say welcome and I look forward to reading.

Lisa ..I'm so sorry for your loss and your friends loss...I can not imagine as my son IS really my world...so I am really thinking of you..

Martha..you really said it very well

Take care everyone...I really need to take care of leaves......and the house...and many other things

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Welcome Julie & Andeerae!

I am so sorry you have to join us but hope you will find these boards as comforting as I do. I am also 40 with a 21 yr old (started early too...lol)   Stay strong but lean on us if you need to. I had a bilateral mx in September and found it not nearly as scary as I had made it to be in my mind. I too hated loosing my saggy but MY own girls but hope to someday have the best boobs in the nursing home....

• slg2130
    slg2130 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2011
    Betsy - I've been on tamoxifan for two months now and no problems.  Even my doc said I could expect hot flashes, but I haven't had a period since chemo started, so there were no hot flashes either.  As far as joint pain, I've got 16 years of gymnastics on my joints, so they hurt regardless - hasn't been any worse since I started the drug.  Best of luck to you!
  • marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

slg, c'mere... so I can give you a noogie!

No hot flashes??? At all??? You're gonna make me cry, gf. I take at least a dozen little "personal trips to the tropics" every friggin' day! Mostly at night, too!

No hot flashes. Hrrrrrrmmmmmppppfffff! :::pout::: Yell

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

Hi to our new girls!  Everyone here is in their 40's, so you should fit right in.  I am 47 and have 2 boys (13 and 15).  Needless to say lots of testosterone and an empty frig at my house.

Andreera, looks like you are a newbe, hope we can offer some support, we do try and keep things upbeat here also.

Julie, looks like you have been at this bc stuff for awhile, I am coming up on my one year mark of diagnosis. This year has been quite the ride!

Ok, so I have been on the Tamox for 5 months, with no major side effects, that I am aware of.  I don't have but an occasional and mild hot flash.  I actually worry that maybe the tamox is not working since I am not having any significant hot flashes.  Maybe I worry too much.

Hope everyone has recovered from Halloween, I keep stealing my kids chocolate.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Hi all. Just stopping by. Counting down the days until I get out of this hellacious stint at work. Worn out.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Lisa, are you getting ready for vacation, or just finishing a project?  Only 3 days left this week.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

I wish it was vacation. I have several huge deadlines this week and next. The return to my normal work load will feel like vacation though. :)

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Gotcha, hang it there.  Not sure how I will ever go back to working full-time next year, never seems to be enough hours in a day.  I get on the computer to keep sanity and avoid what I should be doing.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

hi Ladies

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Hi Julie... If you are the oldie, I am the oldiest, 48 years old, have a 19 and 16 year old.

Andeerae... I understand you worrying about losing your breasts,. I had a bilateral MX this summer, and it was my choice... I could have just had radiation after my December lumpectomy, but chose this route... And I had fabulous breasts  before... Before my surgery I kept reading about women saying the MX/recon would be an upgrade from droopy breasts, but that wasn't my take... BUT in the end, I look at it as re-stuffing the pillow.. and my new breasts are on their way to being great. I have good shape and have cleavage etc... I chose a path of DIEP flap/Hip flap, so its my own tissue, so its a work in progress... I go back under the knife in two weeks.

Chocolate... OMG... I have our stash sitting next to me.. Oh KNOW. I need it to go away, and I mean have someone else eat it... I am proud cause I did return lots of candy today to the store.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Christine...Are you no longer sore after fat grafting??  I am still sore fromt he donar sites and have what may be scar tissue??

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Lisa, so sorry about your friends loss.  It is such a tragedy to loss a child and someone so young.

Julie & Andeerae - welcome!

Ok, got a tentative surgery date for the BMX with DIEP recon, Nov. 30th.  I am both excited and scared.  But I'm glad its after Thanksgiving, since that is my favorite holiday, at least I will get to enjoy it!  Halloween was fun yesterday, pizza party went well, we had 2 fire pits going to keep all the adults warm, less people than usual due to the weather, but still fun.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

Hi Ladies.  I'm sitting at work killing time.  I need to leave in 10 minutes for rads.  Thought I'd spend my time here ... instead of working.

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Saw this on Facebook.  Hilarious!

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Hi Meegan...I guess it is good to get things going,but I understand the mixed feelings

Hi Kiwimum...how are rads going so far?

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Rads going OK thanks.  Apart from the hassle of getting there everyday, no SEs to speak of.  How are you?

• kmur
    edited November 2011

I'm fine..thanks for asking me...i still have some issues with my arm swelling...I am keeping it under control. Just had the last of my BC meetings last night. I know it is kind of a pain to do the rads every day..are you feeling pretty good?

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Yes feeling good.  Sorry about your arm.  I still have cording issues in my arm.  After my first week of rads I now have cording in my chest too!  Very annoying.  I also get swelling and wear my sleeve on and off. 

Don't even get me started on hot flashes.  What I wouldn't give to have a good nights sleep.

Better head off. Will check in later.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

kmur, I am not really having any discomfort now from my lipo, sometimes just abit sore in the morning, but goes away very quick, no longer doing any compression.  I am having some slight swelling and tightness in my right arm, started wearing a sleeve (off and on), seems to help but really makes me mad.

KiwiMum, those pumpkins are so funny.  I also had cording in my chest early after my BMX, it eventually resolved.

Readingmama, I had my BMX with expanders last year the week after Thanksgiving.  I had to rush around and do all my holiday shopping, etc., before then.  Looking back it was actually a nice Christmas, since no one expected me to do much.  I know you will be so glad when it is all behind you.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

My swelling is also in my right arm....I don't like it either...I am right handed  so...I normally do everything with my right arm. I have a sleeve and I also have a pump...

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

What does the pump do?

• kmur
    edited November 2011

the pump is a sleeve that compresses the arm then deflates...hard to put to words but it is kind of like a massage sleeve to try to move the fluid out....I was shocked that insurance covered the cost.  My LE therapist suggested using one.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Hey friends!  3 days without power over!!!!  Ack.  I just showered like I'd never seen water before.  :)  Y'all were right.  I went to my primary care and got some antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection...fun.  There's much to catch up on.  Hello to the new women!  I know I won't be able to get to everything now, but I had to say I loved Lisa's post from the page before.  It reminded me of when I was going in for a D&C after my first miscarriage.  I was scared and all I could think was how I knew if I died people would be sad but I hoped everyone would know how much I loved my life and I was happy.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

Andee--I had a BMX in August.  I was scared--got a nice scrip for some anti-anxiety meds that definitely helped a time or two...or maybe like 6 or 8.  :)  But, who's counting?  

Love to everyone.  Y'know, I started to have some cording right after surgery and then it totally stopped and I wonder...okay, this is silly, but I usually sleep with my arms over my head.  Of course, right after surgery I couldn't, but I would often wake up soon after with my arms up and put them down.  I think I stretched it in my sleep!  LOL.  

Oh, and a good night's sleep equals 2 Ativan for me these days.  It's that or staring at the ceiling! 

Gotta run...much to do since the power just came back on!  Good night!! 

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited November 2011

I am 45 as well, and just joined this thread. I have a 16 year old son and an 18 year old daughter. I finsished chemo, but am on my second week of 7 of radiation.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

welcome zumbagirl!  Kiwimum is also doing rads now, so you won't be alone in this group.

profbee, so glad your power is back.  I think it is going to be a long winter (and I live in the south).  I keep stretching, but find myself sleeping on my "bad arm" all the time.  Maybe if I stopped the ambien and tried ativan, lol.  Just kidding, take away anything, but not my ambien!

Kmur, I thought insurance would insist you be really bad before they would consider a pump. You are very fortunate to get a pump.  How often and how long do you use it for??  I can not realisticly wear a sleeve to work (hand washing every 5-10 min),  I could probably make an argument for a pump.  I saw a PT over the summer, at that time no real swelling and just tight and heavy, I really did not care for her (and trust me I am not that hard to make happy).  I think I will ask for a referral to another one.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

I really couldn't believe they would cover it either...we were ready to pay out of pocket. I use it as needed. Often I am doing something that strains that arm...as I said I use it all the time....so when it swells..I put it on for awhile. Usually about 20 min. My PT was all set for us to pay out of pocket...I saw a different girl in the office and she suggested sending the paperwork in and it was approved. My LE is in the early stages..and I guess this is the time to catch it so that it does not get worse

• kmur
    edited November 2011

zumba...you and are the same age...  I have a soon to be 14 year old son

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Hi zumba.  I've also finished chemo and in my 2nd week of rads. How are you doing?