Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Meegan... That is up for debate.. Most feel that no monitoring is necessary, no trips to the BS for sure. I will continue to see my MO though. I have heard of some women getting MRIs, to check chest wall or nodes, but most doctors don't think it necessary and most insurance company's probably wouldn't cover it... Once one has had a MX, there really isn't anything to monitor and MRIs don't show microscopic tissue, so there wouldn't be anything to see, unless of course a tumor grew from that tissue... With implants, they monitor the implant, not the surrounding tissue, so they aren't aiming at the chest wall or nodes... Not sure what they can see otherwise.

Stacey... Dr Kline (as better body babe said) is also another doctor in Charleston... so now you have two doctors who are very qualified for DIEP... the following women have also gone to Charleston: AnneW, Bennetts1, SamayoFl... and of course better body babe... and nowords used Massey also... Maybe PM these ladies.

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Thanks Better-Body-Babe and Betsy.  I have learned so much that I never knew!  Stuff I wish I had of know last Oct. before the first surgery.  Oh well.  I guess I could talk to my case manager at the insurance company and see what the coverage would be for the surgery and if the doctors are in net work, before I decide who to talk to or see.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Well.. Thats another thing... Most are NOT in network, but they will work with you. In NOLA, I am not in network, but have a plan I didn't even know I had that made my case be treated like I was in network, so instead of called your insurance company, call and send in paperwork to the doctors office and see what they can do... they do it ALL the time, and know what to ask for... and its a whole lot less work for you. I had NOLA do the negotiations and then they told me my portion... which was 1800 for EVERYTHING.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone,

The young man celebrated his 14th birthday...had so much fun eating cake and all that fun birthday stuff...he is getting so tall and adult like ...I miss Winnie The Pooh and Matchbox Cars  Lol  ...Honestly...I am so proud of him ( sorry to ramble )

Christine ...wanted to say Happy Anniversary tomorrow.

Eema ..thinking of you as well...hope you are healing and feeling a bit better

Gina..I hope you are feeling better as well.

Mamachick...I think you will make the right decision...Sounds like you are doing all the necessary research...gosh I feel as though I did not take the time to really look at my options.  I am happy with the fat grafting though...I looked into Dr. Massey shortly after my exchange surgery.. She was very kind...for me though..I didn't want to start over at that point. I think I will probably have additional fat grafting...but I don't know about long term when the time comes to switch out???

Hope everyone is doing well

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Hi ladies!  I hope everyone is doing well.  I have been super busy lately and have not had much time to read and post.  Not much to report.  My second post diagnosis mammo has been scheduled for next week.  Ugh.  I think I am going to refuse the close up of the tumor bed this time.  It was so painful last time and I pretty sure it is what triggered what I believe to be lymphendema in my left breast.

I have been glued to the TV with the penn state scandal.  Wow.  As a college football fan, I am just blown away by this story.

Well, off to bed.  Exhausted.   

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

Lisa,  The Penn State thing is just sickening.  I am so embaressed when it comes on and my boys are around to hear it.  I also thought this coach was so wonderful, what a way to end your career at age 84?

kmur, thanks for the good wish for my cancerversery.  I have my bone scan scheduled for tomorrow, lets hope 11/11/11 is good luck.  I think we should let mamachick go to Dr. Massey first, then in a few years when we need new implants we will be all ready to go and she can give us advice.  Your little one is 14, they grow so fast, I too miss the little boy stuff.  Last week my oldest son told me he was going to Barnes and Noble with some friends after school, I got there early to pick him up and he was playing chess with a girl, all his guy friends were studing and drinking coffee, I do miss my little boys.

Hi to all, everyone has been so quiet this week.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Christine, I've been lurking but not much to add to the conversation. I've 9 rads left, and I think the fatigue is starting to settle in a little.

And (eyeroll) don't get me started on the Penn State debacle. I work for another Big 10 university, and we are just in shock, and shamed and saddened at the same time. It will take that institution years to recover from this. And then, of course, there are all the victims. I read the grand jury's report today, and I was just sickened.  Cry

Kim, I remember when my son was that age (he's twice that now). I think the last time he sat on my lap he was 14. Laughing I miss him at that age. We were very close, all the way up till his high school gf, who later became his wife and the mother of my DGS's. Enjoy it now while you can! It won't come around again until your grandkids!!! 

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited November 2011

Hi all!

Happy Birthday to your son, Kim! I bet you are proud of him!

My son, Dan, turns 13 next Thurs. Wants a big chocolate cake this time - no "theme". Last year was Wallace and Gromit,  the year before, Piccachu from the dreaded Pokemon!  We had quite a funny time this afternoon as a duck had escaped from the garden behind ours. They also have chickens who often make an appearance too. We were both trying to catch the pesky duck, with no luck, so Dan climbed over their fence and told them to come and get it. The kid comes with his special net and chases it a bit more. It ends up in the house with the two kids chasing it round the kitchen, leaving a muddy mess and duck poop where they'd cornered it at last! Needless to say, I was not very pleased to be cleaning that lot up!  

Got MLD again tomorrow at the hospital - very relaxing!  I am sure I've slept better since the first one on Tues. Not sure my bad arm has gone down, though. Give it time, I suppose!  I can't help worrying that the tumours are growing back and blocking it even more. I was inspired by Kiwimum's gym-going the other day!  I bought myself a new, cheap treadmill on Amazon, which was greatly reduced in price, Can't afford the gym, but I used to have a treadmill before and used it a lot. Hope it doesn't collapse when I start "running" on it!  Will have to try and sell my ex. bike. I have had a whole graveyard of unused and broken ex. equipment in the garage!  Weather and light here at the mo. not conducive to outdoor activities.

Hope you girls are all OK.

Sarah x

• christine47
    edited November 2011

marthah, 9 rads to go, you can do it!! 

sarah, I think we probably all have some old exercise equipment, I found my exercise bike was a great clothing rack!  Good for you for exercising.  Give that swelling some time and enjoy that massage.  I am thinking about you running around your house chasing a duck, making me smile!

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Sarah...thank you I needed that chuckle...I have to tell you about my goose story Lord..I hope this doesn't take forever...anyway...we had many Canada Geese that had taken up residence in our pond and making "messes" in my strawberry patch...long story short we found our English Mastiff to be quite scared of those evil geese...he went out to chase them off and one of the geese chased him to the house hissing and had his neck all stretched out....and our dog was 200 lbs...so your story brought back memories for me. Good for you with the exercise..and I hope you will see improvement with your arm. Do give it some time..I work on my arm to keep it in check..  Will you make a cake for your soon to be 13 year old?? 

Martha...I have heard this about boys. One of my friends has three boys and her oldest has a girlfriend he spends most of his time with...I threaten my son that I will have to go off to college with him...Lol  I sure hope he will someday find a great girl and they will enjoy our company...but not for a long time   Lol

Christine...I know that would be great if Mamachick could do that and then tell us what to do...I really was impressed with her. As I said..I had sent an email to her ( what I figured ) would be her office people early one sat morning and to my surprise..she answered the email personally and even said she hoped I didn't think she was a crazy lady answering emails on sat. morning..anyway...maybe someday I will look into something different as I know I will not have the implants forever.  Coffee and chess ...Oh gosh...That is so sweet and at the same time I can't help but think NO....No girls yet....  LOL  ( I bet you enjoy your boys ) How awesome you got to see that sneak peak.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Shoot....I say all that stuff but forget to say good luck with your bone scan Christine..and yes..I have to think 2012 will be a much better year and we will just march right on to being little old ladies someday saying " You remember when..."

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

My DIEP doctor in NOLA has an ASK THE DOCTOR website and he personally answers questions about ANYTHING... you don;t need to be his patient, you don't need to be heading toward DIEP... thought I'd share the site:

http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/

• christine47
    edited November 2011

kmur (i use that name since there are several kims), thanks, by this time tomorrow I hope to be thinking I was so silly to complain about the pain in my butt (tailbone).  I will let you all know.  No one but you all and my gyn PA even know I am having this done, not even my DH.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Kim~feeling much better, thank you so much.  The Gabepatin must be working, finally, the nerve in my face has calmed down much! And in calming this nerve, it's calmed my "nerves".  I've never taken an anti anxiety only cause of the great medicine head I get with almost any drug....so this is a little nice escape in the middle of the day! lol.  today it was much needed.  I can't post this on FB since my co-worker is on my page, but she tried my very last healthy nerve today, and I really didn't give a crap, thank you Gabepatin.  I printed her vicious email, took it to my boss (which by the way in the pecking line I'm just below the boss) I laid it on his desk and apologized for not being able to handle the problem today. I then told him, no not really, I just don't really care about the petty stuff today.

Normally I would have asked her into my office so we could discuss and I would assume the blame for the sake of argument (and since my boss knows the truth anyway blame doesn't matter), and she would feel better leaving my office and our working bond would be even greater.....NOT TODAY, it felt so good to be Teflon, let it all slide.

So tomorrow I'll have to deal with her BEFORE I take that pill! Heavens knows what might fly out of my mouth after I take it, it's a diplomacy killer, that pill! and it feels good.

Christine prayers for you, it's never silly to complain now.  It's not that we are complaining, it's just that we have become painfully aware of our bodies.

Marthah, a grandchild? You must have a picture of yourself 20 years ago? You look wonderful!

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

Kim - happy birthday to your little man. I'm proud of my children also. It's fantastic to watch them grow to be their own individual.

Good luck with your scan Christine.

Sarah - go you getting a treadmill! I've not been back to the gym yet but plan to tomorrow.

Martha - I had rads #14 today. 11 to go. I'm not feeling fatigue yet, but my skin is feeling sensitive and uncomfortable.

I've had a stressful afternoon. My eldest had a fall at school and I was called to pick her up. I took her to the doctor and after an exam and X-ray it was found she has broken her collarbone. I can't believe it. Poor little thing. She is desperate to get into the pool and now has to sit and watch for a while. She is also in quite a bit of pain, so here's hoping she can get some sleep tonight.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone..

Kiwimumm...Oh My Gosh..I bet that was stressful..I hope today finds her a bit more comfortable. I know you will be so happy to be done with rads. At the end ( honestly probably the last week) my RO did give me a prescription for a cream...I don't know why she waited so long..it did help. You may not peel..but don't be alarmed if you do "shed"...then very nice soft skin. I can't wait for you to be done and it will actually be nice to hear you rubbing it in about ...being warm...swimming in the pool....we will be freezing here ( except Gina- Oh- and the Arizona girls) Lol

Christine..I think Gina said that very well...I think you are not silly  BUT smart to listen to your body.  Us women plug along ( I think) I think we often ignore pain, I think us girls have become more aware  and that is probably a good thing.  Good luck today  ( prayers too )

Gina...I am like you with meds...they usually don't work for me or I will have all of the side effects listed...I would really like to take something at night to knock me out...so far I only lay there wide awake. Sorry to hear though about your co-worker...I wish all people could understand the " it really isn't a big deal..in the big scheme of things rule"  like we do Smile  You always have a wonderful attitude..and I wanted to tell you every now and then ..I do head over to the Catholic thread and your writing is truly a gift ( thank you )Hope today is better.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

I thought I would share a funny story with you all ( well funny to me I guess ...hopefully not annoying to you) LOl

This morning on the way to school...we passed a gas station and they had a sign that said "Boiled Peanuts"...now I don't know why Kentuckians (is that right) would have boiled peanuts..but anyway...I truly love all food  ...if I could be healthy eating everything ..I would gladly do it..Back to the story...I am sorry if this should offend my southern friends..but I think boiled peanuts are about the yuckiest things I have ever put in my mouth...and I shared that with my son telling him all about the Georgia peanuts we had once...he said " Well what do they taste like?" and I said "Like you're eating something someone else has already eaten"....Lol he said "EWWWW" I said " I know..and I really wanted to like them too..looked forward to eating them...maybe I got hold of some bad ones..maybe I will try the KY. ones....LOl

Sorry to share my warped sense of humor..but I got to laughing just thinking about the look on his face...good grief

Have a great day/afternoon all

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2011
    christine47 - Thinking of you today with your bone scan.
  • mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Okay, might be a long one.  I need to get on here more often so my posts aren't a book.  Sorry if I forget anything.  First, I celebrated being 42 yesterday.  Never thought I would be happy to celebrate being in my 4o's, but so thankful that I have had at least one more year and feeling good!

Kmur and Christine- I feel so wishy washy.  I want to go with the diep, but I am also like you.  I just want to be finished and if my PS can fix it with larger implants and fat grafting and do it out patient and no travel and no having to take vacation time for my DH  I might just wait like you and do it when my implants need changed. But then I think if I go ahead and do it then it is done forever, but with more time away from my family, which I have already lost a year in mine and their life, that isn't good when homeschooling.

Kim, I have to agree about the boiled peanuts.  I am not southern by birth so I guess that may be why they are sooooo disgusting to me.  I know people who love them!  Your description is accurate.

Kiwimum, I am so sorry for you little one, and just after the pool is finished.  I hope she gets better soon!

Christine, I hope all went well today with your scan and that now you can have some relief about everything,  I agree with Kim and the others.  We are so much more in tune with our bodies and it is so hard not to worry about every ache and pain.

Last but not least, sleep, what is that?!?!?!  I am with you in that I would love to have 8 hours uninterrupted, unassisted with meds sleep.  Tried Melatonin and forget that.  Took the 3 mg dose sleep for about and hour and then wide awake.  Uhggg.  Is there any hope? 

Sarah loved the duck story, gave me a laugh. Don't even want to think about the Penn State deal. Don't even want to think about my DS being a teen, it is hard enough with my DD being so close. Okay again sorry if I missed someone.  Have a great weekend everyone!!!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

MY BONE SCAN IS NORMAL!!!  well, almost completely normal, I do have a hot spot on my knee (patella), but this is more consistant with a stress injury/fracture , I already knew that it hurt.  My concern was my tailbone (coxcyx), no increased uptake, so must be soft tissue issue, still hurts like heck, but if its not mets, I can sit on a pillow for awhile.  Also had diffuse increased uptake in my skull, the radiologist said this is not unusual as "we get older", I was so happy, I did not even kick him.  I had my technicium injection at 12 and the scan at 2, told the tech (at 12)  that I wanted to see the radiologist or my scan immediately after my 2 oclock appt.  She explained that usually they called the referring provider to notify the patient.  When I came back at 2 she immediately informed me that the radiologist would be pleased to review my study with me.  (Good answer).  I promise to not whine or worry about any aches or pains for at least 6 months!!

Thank you all for your good wishes!  I did not even tell my DH that I was having this today, other than you all and one cancer friend in my exercise class, I kept it quiet.  I did tell my husband tonight, he was a bit mad that he did not have a chance to go with me.  Exactly one year ago today I received my original diagnosis, and he did not even know I was having a biopsy, just hate for him to worry anymore that he needs too.

Boiled peanuts and collard greens, I guess people in the south have no taste.  How about that white gravy over biscuts, tastes like paste! 

Kiwimum, a broken collar bone is so painful, but kids get better so fast.  My oldest broke his several years ago, and I broke mine when I was 12.  She will be in the pool before you know it.

Mamachick, don't feel rushed on your recon, you will know when the time is right.  You wouldn't be burning any bridges but swapping out the implants and doing fat grafting for now.  That is little down time, minimal pain and local for you.  As Kmur and I have said, and we mean it, we would help you if you chose to go to Charleston.  We could make it possible for your husband to get back to the kids and work sooner, or whatever.  Lets seriously plan to meet in 2012, Asheville, Charleston, or somewhere.  I would drive 5 hours to just have lunch with you all.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Christine...YAY!!!  Happy to hear your scan is all good!!

BTW....I have to admit I love all other southern food...just the boiled peanuts noy so much  Lol

• kmur
    edited November 2011

not so much I mean

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Great news, Christine!

Boiled peanuts - yum!!! But I only like them hot and very salty.  I just ate a cup full at a football game a few weeks ago.  Good stuff.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

You know ..the ones I had were cold....maybe that is the problem

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Yay Christine!!!!!!!

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

That's the best news Christine. Congratulations :)

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324
    edited November 2011

Hi ladies just heard about this thread from the TCH thread and thought I would share this bit of info, not sure if any of you use or heard of Multi Gyn? since chemo pause excuse the TMI but my southern regions were like the Sahara I was using replens for about 2 months but it was not enough. I actually got a yeast infection from It. So I was cruising the web looking for alternatives as KY and Astroglide didn't work either, I came across a product called Multi Gyn, I thought what heck and ordered it. Its hormone free and safe for us +++. All I can say is wow I am starting to feel like me previous to chemo pause without all the messiness of other products. It's actually is supposed to help strengthen the walls that lack of estrogen creates. All. Can say is after a week of usage of the gel and lubricate things are at my new normal after a 6 month drought -PUN INTENTED.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone,

Christine ...last evening I was answering my post quickly to let you know how just great that news was about the scan...had that on my mind Friday...but wanted to write my usual longer post. ...sorry... I think that is a great idea to plan a get together. I would drive the 5/6 hours too..I like to drive. So wherever we end up would be fine....I'm sure I could work something out with either bringing my son and having a bit of vacation or the family and making a long weekend... I love that idea..since you all are more that way...I could travel more your direction. I will look around for places to stay/things to do in that general direction.

Kiwimum...I hope your little one is feeling better. Hopefully she can stick her legs in the pool for now.

We are off this morning for High School Advanced Placement testing...Then open house for several schools

Take care everyone

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Hi everyone.

Christine - Congrats on your Bone Scan - I'm so very happy for you!!

KiwiMum -sorry your dd broke her collerbone right when your pool is ready.  Such a bummer, I hope it can heal soon enough for her to go in by the end of summer...

Loved the Duck and Goose stories, thanks for the laughs!  I too have been following the Penn State story closely and am appalled (and really students rioting, c'mom) and my dh is now watching the game b/c it is all he has been listening to all week.

I have been crazy this week, spent 2 hours Wed. night in Toys R Us and 2 hours last night in Target (I am NOT a good shopper and am very slow), but the good news is now 10 people on our list are done!  I guess this is another silver lining in the surgery, I'm never done with so many people this early.  And mostly kids so I can stay away from the crazy toy stores in Dec.  The rest my dh can do...

Counting down, have too much to do at home and at work before the 30th, I need to prioritize better as I know I will not get everything done, never do, right? Saw the PS on Wed., signed conset forms, got my scripts, then went to the cancer center and got Herceptin #17, last one will be day before surgery. 

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited November 2011

Hi all!

Christine - big Congrats on your scan!!!! You're not whining on here - we understand what you feel like and are here for support.

Sorry for your daughter's collar-bone breakage Kiwimum. Hope she not in pain and I'm sure she will be well on the mend soon - by Christmas, I'm sure! Such  a bummer for her too with your pool. Love and hugs to your family.

I like the story of your big doggy, Kim and the geese! Lovely too that you have a pond. We were set upon by a small group of them a few years ago, walking by a farm near our home. They advanced on us as a group, pecking our clothes to see if we had food, I think - it hurt!  My OH ran from them, but afterwards he said he didn't!  That "beeping" duck was back again today - chased by a little white dog that the neighbours also keep in the garden. Ducks are really funny when they land after flying - they crash-land!  Mike had to catch it and return it to them in the cat-cage we have for going to the vets. It is starting to get annoying, now!

I agree, those boiled peanuts sound revolting!  I saw them on a TV show called Antony Bourdain - No Reservations - where he was visiting Georgia and someone gave them to him. It's quite a good show, but I really like Man vs Food - another foodie-travelogue programme. I really would like to try some of the places he visits when I eventually visit the US. The Texan BBQ pit one had some delish. grub in it. I'd just like to travel around, eating!  My idea of heaven!

Hope you are all OK,

Love, Sarah x