Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Druanne, Yahoo for your great news!!  Always celebrate the good stuff.

Lisa,  warm in NC but rain, strange you all are colder.

I don't know about Kmur, so strange she has not been on, maybe she is out of town, or busy baking us cookies.Laughing

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Thanks Ladies for the input.  I'm just so incredibly overwhelmed with all of this.  I thought after I had my son via c-section I could never feel any worse.  Nope, pretty sure this is worse.  I have zero patience with my son and just on edge.  Sure hope this passes soon.  It's like pms x 100!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Heather - sorry you are having a hard time.  What chemo are you doing?   

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

I ate normally during chemo, and never had any aversions to anything.. If it were true for me, I would have eaten all fattening things during chemo so I wouldn't want them later... LOL

KMUR was on facebook yesterday, so she is around I think...

Very rainy here tonight... :(

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Oh... and my vision has not been great since chemo... another :(

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Me too betsy.  I craved cheeseburgers and QT cinnamon rolls straight thru chemo.  Still love both, unfortunately.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

Welcome Druanne and Kennylane!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to not check in. Christine good luck tomorrow you are the test subject this time. Let us know how you do.

Wish I could remember what everyone said but yes chemo fog and chemopause have set in.

I have been making cookies and caramels and painting ornaments trying to get into the spirit.

I just found out my old neighbor( she is like a mom to me). Will have a biopsy this week. She has been fighting lymphoma and doing very well but they think she may have a golfball size tumor. So if youdont mind say a little prayer for her. If you all met her you would love her. She is ornery and full of stories. I have not posted because I try to always have something funny to share. You know that old saying if you can't say something nice...anyway thinking of you all and welcome to the new girls

Yes, I had food issues with chemo too. Could not eat my fav pent butter and jelly for along time. Sounds like the other girls were ok but if you have a favorite food maybe avoid that one the day of chemo? I wish I had.

I will catch up with you girls soon

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

I tried to post last night from my Kindle, but I am so tech unsavvy that it wouldn't post so forgive me if I am late on some of the conversation.  I remember being very foggy for a few days after chemo.  That is why I scheduled for Friday to have the weekend.  I always told everyone that I would fall off the face of the earth for awhile. I was moody for most of the time, but it does get better. I craved Chinese and can still eat it, but chicken still unable to stomach too much of.  My tongue was affected, I think by the Adria, so for the first week to 2 weeks water even tasted bad. 

Welcome Druanne!!! You are a survivor!!!!  Sorry you have to be here, but we are here for you if you need anything.

Kim-glad to see you!  I was hoping you were just getting on with life.  I find life taking over more and more these days.  Love you girls, so I have to remind myself to keep reading and writing.

Kim I will be praying for your neighbor.  I am so sorry she is having to deal  with yet another blow.  I want to bake and do all the Christmas cookies and candy that I didn't get to do last year, but I just eat them and I have been told for the diep I will probably have to loose weight and not put more on! Frown

Heather where is Renfrew?

Christine- hope all goes well tomorrow.  As Kim said I am glad you are the test subject.  Curious to see what you think.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2011

Profbee - when I got dx again, I felt clueless all over again.  This time at least my research could be focused only on mx and recon, which was simplier than dealing with everything all at one the first time.

As you know, I'm HER2+ also.  Finished my Herceptin day before surgery.  On biopsy this 2nd cancer is all HER2-, but still waiting for final path.  I have not yet gone to any HER2 specific sites as I too know they don't reflect the better stats with Herceptin and someone warned me off, I'm not ready for it yet.

Add me to the ornament mover list when kids decorate! Proud Mom_Wife, I would say same thing, you would like it feel more "normal" and would really like a tree and some decorations. 

o2bhealthy - thanks for the link for LE.  It definately got trauma from the IV leaking.  The right side was proph, so nodes taken.  The elevation and warmth seem to be helping, but I do have baseline measurement from my lump I can use if it does keep getting better.

lisa - congrats on NED! and your new mortgage.

Good news and bad news at 1st f/u at PS yesterday.  3 of 4 drains pulled - yeah! I only thought 1 would come out.  Bad news left breast is very red and definately infected.  He switched me to stronger antibotic and drew around the redness.  Not getting any worse this am definately.  DH and I both think a little better, but we are not sure if that is because we want it to be.  The flap part is fine.  Betsy, how did your infection start, was it just the flap or your own skin also?

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Heather ~ on the chemo stuff ~ my OC told me that when my blood counts would drop that is when I would feel the worse - usually about 7 days after chemo.  I had issues with drinking fluids, I don't know why, but even water gagged me.  I can't explain the taste or food issues, but I think it's like when you are pregnant and some certain food or smell repulses you, then some how that gets written on the brain.  My OC was also very specific about no buffets, no rare meats, when eating away from home make sure all food is cooked all the way.  I was getting Adriamycin and Taxotere.

Funny that you mention eyes...I saw my eye doctor 3 or  4 times while in chemo.  He couldn't figure out what was happening, thought maybe the fluid in the tear ducts where affected somehow, but that did resolve on its on.

The chemo brain for me, still lingers....spelling was impossible, even simple words. Remembering stuff was impossible too.  I used to explain it to people as there is a disconnect of the thought process, where before chemo I could connect the dots to remember something, now the path is gone....the spelling is getting better....lots of words games and memory games - my OC warned me about that too and suggested playing games while in treatment. 

The fog is finally getting better, almost out of it completely.  But I do have memory loss of the time I was in treatment, and well, that's probably just fine, who wants to remember that crap anyway.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

So.. I was watching the news yesterday an dthey had this segment on BC and causes etc... then this morning, another segment on the news... You would have thought it was Pink October... Bottom line, everything causes BC: alcohol, weight gain, pesticides, etc etc etc... so we better start leading stress-free, exercise driven, foodless lives,, according to the experts. Great, huh?

• heatherb8
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies for the feedback.  It's good to know I'm not feeling anything out of the ordinary.  The body aches are just ridiculous.

Lisa..I'm taking 4 x T/C

Stacy...renfrew is about 40 miles North of Pittsburgh, PA

Betsy..I pretty much came to the conclusion that every possible thing can contribute to BC...mother-in-laws, having children in your late 30's, alcoholic beverages, job, the pill, husbands, plastic, you name it it causes it.  You're right stres-free, excercise driven, foodless, adult beverageless lives..Good Grief.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

My mantra... everything in moderation!!!

• heatherb8
    edited December 2011

Amen!

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hey heather, I grew up north of Pittsburgh, new Grove City.  Small world, do you go to Pittsburgh for treatment?

• brenda69
    brenda69 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011

Hello, I am 42 was diagnosed in 2005 see below, and all is ok now! 

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hi Brenda, please join us.  Glad to see good news!

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Heather - I did TC as well.  I am sorry you are having a hard time.  A lot of people seem to do bad on that combo.  I must have really lucked out.  I had very few SEs and they were mild.  I have had sinus infections that knocked me out more than chemo.  Are you drinking a lot of water?  I firmly believe that is why I did as well as I did (plus a little luck).  I drank a total of 3 2 liter bottles per day on the infusion day and on each day after for 3 days.  It was hard to do but I forced it down.  I was told it helps with digestive issues (of which I had none at all) and that it helps the white blood counts rebound.  I don't really understand how it could help with WBC, but mine were always very good and I never did nuelasta.

Brenda - welcome!  Nice to see someone with stats close to mine who is doing well so far out.  Yeah!!

On to non BC stuff - has anyone made cake balls before?  I am thinking of making some red velvet ones for xmas.  They look difficult to make.  I am planning to take the easy way out and buy a premade red velvet cake from a store in atlanta (their cakes are soooooo good) and just mix that up to make the filling.  Any thoughts on if that would work?

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Lisa.. I did TC too. And had few issues... more issues from Neulasta I think... I drank a lot and iced my nails, and used Bryan Joseph lash and brow gel... and took claritin... had one bad day per cycle that I satyed home and slept/rested... otherwise I was ok... and worked fulltime.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Betsy - mine was exactly the same.  One day that I slept nearly nonstop and was a bit achey . . . like the flu.  I was otherwise fine.  My sleep day was always on saturday so I never missed work other than my infusion days.  I was shocked.  My boss was shocked too.  We hired a contract attorney to help with my case load then I ended up working full time.  I missed far more time from biopsy to the day that I got my PET results (about a month and a half), during which time I was a complete disaster.  

I was glad to avoid the neulasta.  It seems some people have a harder time with that than with chemo. 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Hard to say, as they went hand in hand. I usually had chemo on Monday or Tuesday (missed work), then had Neulasta 2 days later (Wed or Thursday) and by Thurs or Friday I had my bad day... I once had aa Thurs chemo and Neulasta Friday... I went to a party Saturday night waiting for it all to hit me... never really did... fatiqued on Sunday, but never had that flu day. That was only that once... the other 5 times, I had the flu ish day.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

I had more fatigue then anything else on T/C but it really kicked my butt for several days...I also had problems with constipation and/or diarrhea, if it was one it was the other...no happy middle. I developed neuropathy in my feet/hands and even now still have some mild neuropathy in my feet.   I did get really discouraged on #3 and did not drink enough and could REALLY feel a difference (BAD) in the SE's so hydration is the one thing I always advise. 

Funny I had my neulasta shot the same day as chemo... 

• heatherb8
    edited December 2011

Christine..I'm actually going to a look good feel better class in Grove City on Monday.  Renfrew is actually the Butler area.  Such a small world!

Lisa..thanks for the tip and glad to hear your side effects were not bad.  I seriously tried to drink as much as I could for those days..not quite that much though.  Did you do just water?

They aren't giving me the neulasta shot..so I would think my side effects should be minimum.  It's really just the achiness that's doing me in.  The whole way from my head to my toes..I keep taking advil and it helps a little..Hoping today is a little better. 

Thanks for all the help ladies..I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions, but your experience is such a blessing!

• christine47
    edited December 2011

heather, it is a small world.  I now live in North Carolina.  My parents have moved to a retirement community in Greenville, PA.  My mom said they had snow last night, sure do NOT miss that.  Do you have your treatments in Pittsburgh?  I had a favorite aunt in Butler and we would go there every year for Christmas dinner, miss the good old days.  No Neulast, are you getting Neupogen?  I thought everyone got these drugs.  Hope you do feel better today.

Got my tattoos today!!!  I was suprised that I had alot more feeling that I knew, he had to numb me and the shots hurt, but I am done.  I have a black tie event tonight and will need to figure out what I can wear and hide the dressings, fortunately they are temporary.  I can not believe how much of a difference the tattoos make.  Told the PS I was disappointed that we did not have margaritas first and he was not wearing a leather vest and chains.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Heather - not sure what you mean by just water? I drank that much water each day. I probably had additional fluids as well - like coke. Although I normally drink about 12 glasses of water a day, it was hard to do.

• heatherb8
    edited December 2011

Christine..It is a small world..I was actually born in Greenville, then my folks moved back home to Butler.  So funny.  Yes I am having my treatments in Pittsburgh at Magee Hospital.  Kind of a haul, but I only have to get there 4 times.  I will do my rads in Butler.  The docs in Butler are out of West Penn Hospital.  No no neulasta and no neupogun.  They said because of my age I guess I don't need to.  I turned 42 in June.  I'm glad everything looks great with your tats and you made me giggle with your margarita and leathers comment. 

Lisa..just didn't know if you drank different types of fluids or all water.  I get so bored with just water that I can't even force myself to drink it.  I do like lifewater, but I'm finding absolutely nothing is tasting very good right now.  But, I will take your advice and do my best to hydrate as much as possible.  I tried the Biotine mouthwash...that almost just did me in..it's awful.  I feel like such a whiny little baby.  This is so not like me!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Christine- you crack me up!!!  Thank you for a really good laugh.

Heather- I asked where Renfrew was because my parents are from Pa and I grew up around Philly. my parents are from Clarion County.  Mom went to nursing school in Bulter and that is always where my grandmother went to the hospital.  I also have an aunt and uncle in Indiana, PA. Glad you don't have to get the Neulasta.  I think that was one of the worst things for me.  The first one just about killed me.  Then we cut it in half and it was much better.  It's okay to whine, I know I don't mind, you are where I was last year. Lost my hair for Christmas.

I only used Biotine because I had no saliva during chemo.  I found water was about all I could drink, really missed my Diet Coke, but it tasted awful, glad it is okay now.

Lisa- cake balls sound really good, don't know if I am brave enough to try to make them though. Broke down and made some cookies and candy today with the kids.  Now if I could just keep my hands off of all the goodies I will be fine.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Heather - would lemonade or something like that help?  I think it does not matter as long as is not a dehydrating drink (i.e. caffinated).  Have you tried the Crystal Light Pure products?  I am addicted to them.  They are reduced calories although not calorie free.  I think they are sweetened with Stevia or something like that.  No more of the chemical sweeteners for me.  I also love vitamin water zero which I know is sweetened with stevia.  Maybe the flavor would help you get more water down??  Good luck!

Has sarah from the UK been around lately?  We seem to have lost a few regulars.  Or maybe I have just missed them. 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

I used to grab a LARGE iced coffee (decaf) on my way to chemo.. and brought a cooler of snapples and flavored water... I would ask my friend's who escprted me to force me to drink... it was very helpful.