Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2011

All this cake talk is making me hungry.  I don't really bake at all though...

KiwiMum - the concert sounds great and I will think of you jumping in the pool on Christmas, when we will probably be freezing...

Burley, sorry about your liens and your friend.  I agree, a week to wait is crazy!!!

For me, my left breast seems to be looking better.  But I start hyperbaric oxygen therepy tomorrow, anyone know anyone who did this?  I will search the boards tomorrow, but not I mush sleep.  it look like a big tanning bed, but all clear and they said I can watch TV or listen to music.  I think I will be in 1/2 hour.  Wish me luck!  The worst part will be the 40 minute drive there and back.  As I'm still napping mid-day, it also takes away my morning "awake" time to get stuff done.  I'm hoping I only need to go for this week.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

ReadingMama,

Hyperbaric oxygen??  Are you having wound issues? Good luck, let us know how things go.  If I baked and lived closer I would bring you some cake balls.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited December 2011

Hi all!

Haven't been on here for a while, sorry. My OCD has kicked in again and I've been having lots of anxiety issues and resultant depression - very tedious. It seem to rear its ugly head again after at least 4 years following my mld massage/lymphassist treatments which I've been having since early Nov. Comes and goes now. Don't want to go on in detail here as would bore you all to death. Tried an online OCD forum the other day - what a bunch of loonies!  Won't be going on there again!

Lovely to hear all your news. I expect you're all really busy with Christmas approaching. I've bought most of my stuff, apart from for my 2 nephews and some more for my son. He has no idea what he wants, really, apart from modelling clay/plasticine to make his fantasy models/Dr Who-type figures. But he loves his stocking and array of pressies on Christmas morning, so we're not going down the money route yet. Will be putting the decs. up this weekend - late as usual! Not doing a lot of cooking this year, apart from the Christmas dinner itself. May make a Christmas Log - a log-shaped chocolate butter-cream Swiss-roll thing - which is totally wicked and gorgeous! Do you have those in the US?  I think they are originally French and called Buche de Noel - yummy!

BTW, Lisa - love  the sound of those cake-ball things! I would guess you are heating the chocolate up too much/too quickly and it is seizing and going grainy. I've had that problem. Try microwaving it slowly, little by little, or buy cooking chocolate/chocolate covering which has more fat in it and is more liquidy. It's really bad for you and not really chocolate, but tastes quite nice on cakes/marshmallow squares as an occasional indulgance. As you can tell from the size of me, I am a woman who knows her chocolate!  Slimming at the mo.though.

Love reading your posts - you ladies are all so life-affirming!

Sarah x

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Ok all this talk about balls........I might have shared this chuckle with you already, chemo brain, but here goes....I have a much younger brother with the most adorable two year old, a very very smart two year old.  At thanksgiving at the table, my DH had made peas with pearl onions.  My DH is the unspoken favorite uncle of my nephew....so anyway, the other uncle is asking the baby what they are.  The baby pears in the bowl and says, "Green beans." So I chime in and said that was really close but they are "green peas".  He carefully peers into the bowl again and almost in disbelief of what I said, he tells me in the cutest two year old voice, "Uncle Doug's green balls."

Boy have we had a few good laughs over my DH's green balls.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone,

Gina , that is a cute story. Long time ago one of my coworkers had a son and a little girl kicked him in the private parts. He came home from school and was so upset as he told his mother. In his attempt to get out his frustration. He said...." I'm gonna kick her in the china" that's what he thought her private parts were called. Sorry if this offends anyone. Just made me think of that.

Sarah.. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. You are so kind always. I think kind people really should get a break from any bad stuff. I will be thinking of you.

Christine. Just wanted to say have a blast with the family skiing. Wanted to tell you my best buddy is from greensburg pa she just moved back there She took me skiing in pa. ( could it be 7 springs). Can't remember the name. But. .....I found out very quickly that me and skiing just don't jive. Me and the lodge and a hot dog....that was what became the 50.00 dollar hotdog because I rented skis and the lift and all. I had fun though. Just brought back memories for me. Hope you are doing well and like your new tats

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Sarah - so good to hear from you. I was just asking about you the other day. I am sorry you are having a hard time. I hate to make light of it, but as a self-diagnosed OCD freak, I was cracking up at this: Tried an online OCD forum the other day - what a bunch of loonies! I really can't thnk of anything less appealing than an OCD forum. LOL. I hope you feel better soon.

Speaking of kids and balls, my 8 year old nephew constantly talks about his "nuts." I heard this is perfectly normal for his age, but wow. Every conversation turns to this.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

My son asked me what they were for...I didn't know what to say, so I totally said, "Ask your daddy."  Then he said, "Oh wait.  I know.  They're pee pee tanks."  HILARIOUS!!!!

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2011

Hi all, 39 at diagnosis, 40 at double mastectomy.  My oldest will be 20 shortly (eesh!)..she's in her sophomore year of college.  My youngest just turned 17 and is a senior in highschool.  Come next fall, it's just me (woohoo!).  I live in Northern California, single, never married, lived in sin for ten years with my daughter's father before I left his lazy butt.  Nice to see women in here who had kids at a young age as I did.  I always feel like the odd-man out with my daughter's friend's parents.

Thought I'd finally pop into this thread and say, hey!

Michelle

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Profbee.... That is so very funny. Pee pee tanks. How do they think of such funny things. I bet he is too cute

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Michelle - Welcome!

Prof - that is so cute.  I do not envy parents having to talk about stuff like that with their kids.  I have had a few moments with my nephew where I did not know what to do.  Once when he was quite young - maybe 3 or 4 - he was spending the night at my house.  We were in bed watching a movie and I noticed that he kept touching his penis area but I did not say anything.  He seemed uncomfortable, like he had an itch or was irritated.  Finally he looked over at me and with concern said "my wiener is big."  I tried to remain calm and just very matter of factly said "that is what happens when you touch it.  Just stop touching it."  It worked.  That was the end of that.  I hope he does not end up asexual because of me.  LOL.

So I am about to break out a book I read while killing time last year waiting for my biopsy results:  Shit my Dad Says.  Has anyone read it?  I vaguely recall laughing out loud several times, but that time is such a blur so I am re-reading before I decide whether to buy it for my Dad and Granddad for xmas. 

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hi and welcome Michelle!

Sarah and Kmur, we have missed you both.

All the stories of boy and girl parts/names are cracking me up.  I have friends who use all the correct anatomical names with the kids, I prefer not to discuss at all (hey thats what the internet is for, right?).  My oldest is 15 and my husband has still not had the talk with him, so glad it is not my job.

Kmur, loving the tats (thanks for asking), seems no one around me has any interest, so I finally get tattoos and I can't show everyone.  I am going to my one year f/u  tomorrow with the onc surgeon who did my mast last year, he has lots of residents following him around, so I can show them!!  Laughing at your $50 hotdog comment, (yes 7 springs), now it is about an $90 hotdog.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Christine. I know me too. Never really liked to talk about body parts. This friend also used correct terms. That's how " china" came about. Lol. Good luck with your check up. I have the longest story about my checkup. Wish I could sit down and share with you. Too long for typing. I am fine just needy sometimes with reassurance. Just think ...made me laugh thinking how we could all appreciate our tats and scars. Lol

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Forgot to say welcome Michelle. The ladies here a a great group. One never knows where the conversation may go. Laughing is good medicine

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Kmur, somedays I am soo needy. I think the problem is we take care of families, etc and feel bad about needing taken care of too.  Not sure if that make sense.  Hope your appt did go well!!

• kmur
    edited December 2011

I think you are correct. You know it did go well. I had been asking about scans and he says he is not concerned about recurrence . I on the other hand do become concerned. So iwill be taking my husband the next time Sometimes my onc speaks in numbers and so on. I don't always follow or i get hung up on one thing and don't hear anything else. He does know he is supposed to follow me around and say you are fine you will be a little old lady with grandkids right?

• ReadingMama
    edited December 2011

Hi Christine, thanks!  The radiated skin was red all over, the entire breast turned bright red, but the skin all around and the flap skin were fine.  It started to get better a few days ago, whether from the antibotic, some fluid pockets the PS drained or time I don't know.  But yes, the PS wanted me to do HBOT.

I had my first treatment today, it was fine, you are in a pod like thing, laying down, you can't bring anything in with you.  But they have a TV hanging on the wll and pipe the sound in, today I watched The View and the news.  I can bring a DVD or try to sleep, there is nice background noice from the oxygen.  I'm in for 1.5 hrs and it was kind of boring.  It's a little early for my nap, but I might try to nap tomorrow.

ProfBee - so cute!

Michele - welcome!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2011

Welcome Michelle. I am just 40 this year as well and my children are all around 20 ish... Glad I got the kids out of the way early while I still had the energy to keep up with them....lol 

Love the kid part stories.... Thanks for the laughs...

Christine - best of luck at the onc visit tomorrow. Wear those tats proudly...

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2011

I have to tell this one about my grandson but don't want to offend anyone so I'll use the correct terms.  He was in the bath and yelled "Dad, Dad come here quick" so my son went in and my grandson was looking at his scrotum and had seen that it had a darker line in the middle (hope you know what I'm talking about) anyway  he says "is that where I'm sewn together?"  My son I'm sure had that "what in the heck are you talking" about look on his face and said "what do you mean, sewn together?"  My grandson said "you and mommy said I was made from two people is that where you sewed me together?"

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Had to get on here and thank you all for the laughs.  I needed a good laugh and I can always rely on you all. I am sure my DS has said some strange things in the past, but I am brain dead so, can I remember them? No.

Welcome, Michelle. I will echo I believe Kmur.  You joined a great group.

Christine- thinking about you tomorrow.  I am jealous about everything.  You have your tats, you get to go Skiing!!!!!  I haven't been since right before I got pregnant with my 3rd.  Too expensive now to take the whole family and my husband doesn't like it very much. I grew up skiing.

Meegan-1.5 hours! that is a long time.  How many treatments are you having?

Sarah- Good to see you! You can send some of your Christmas Log cake this way if you have left overs.

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited December 2011

Hey Ladies, 

These are cute stories!  For once I'm at a loss and don't have anything funny to say.  I'm infected, and I believe my right Alloderm has busted and my implant is sitting on my skin instead.  It is sooo comfortable.  Has anyone had this happen?

Anyway, didn't want to leave and not say hi.  They have to open me to fix this, don't they?    

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Oh Eema - that's terrible.  I'm thinking of you :(

Great to hear from you Sarah & Kmur.  I have been wondering how you both were.  I'm sorry you've been having a tough time Sarah. Kim, I too had a check up this week and am totally anxious. I've been quite good at keeping going and being positive.  My friends condition has really upset me and made me feel vulnerable. 

My children finished school for their summer break yesterday. They are so tired and really really ready for a holiday.  I finish work next Wednesday and am having a month off (yippee).  It's been such a crappy year that I decided I needed a big break.  It will be grand.

Welcome Michelle!

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi eema. I have missed you. Gosh.... I am so sorry to read you are having trouble with this surgery. I wish I had the answer for you. I sure hope this turns around or you. I was hoping this one would see you at the end

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Forgot to say - your anatomy stories are hilarious!!  Especially yours Profbee - "ask your Daddy".  I would have said that too.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi kiwi mum. Same for me. I am normally really positive too. I am still that way. Sometimes though. I do get nervous I guess. I know you all know what I mean. Yay for you with time off with the girls. Has your daughter been in the pool post broken bone.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi mama chick. I missed your post. And I forgot to tell Sarah. I know about Yule logs. I would love some too. Speaking of food. ......... I had lunch with my husband today really yummy sushi,but for dessert really yummy deep fried cheesecake served in a tortilla? Sounds so weird but it was so good. Then I wonder why my thighs continue to get bigger! Oh well.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited December 2011

Hi all!

You made me laugh with your lunch menu, Kim - so virtuous with the sushi, then rapidly down- hill with the deep-fried cheesecake!  That Christmas log I make is a Nigella recipe and it is positively dangerous - I get a headache and fast heartbeat from the sugar rush - just as well I only have it once a year!

So sorry to hear about your friend, Kiwimum. She has just heard she has mets-  did I remember right?  Because I had all my chemo. at home, twice, through a private health scheme, I never met or connected with anyone else at the hospital. It must be very hard when friends get progression. My friend's sister has bc. in the neck, now and that depressed me, especially having been so lucky with my treatment so far - you can't help imagining all sorts. It's the random nature of it all that is so scary.  Hope she gets good results with her treatment.

Re - the, erm, boy's parts stories - my son had swimming lessons at the local pool when he was about 7. The teacher , Rhodri, one Saturday morning, was complaining that he was feeling a bit fragile after a few beers the night before - not sure that was appropriate with a load of little kids, though!  Later, in the changing room, Dan was speculating on how much beer Rhodri had drunk and said that "these" ie his testicles would have been enormous with all that beer!  A little confusion needed to be cleared up there!  Like your grandson's "sewn together" comment, achpurple!

Hi to Michelle - we're a friendly bunch here!

Really hope you can get some quick relief, Eema. Hugs to you.

Sarah x

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2011

I'm sitting at work trying to concentrate on a spreadsheet and my chest, mainly my right side is so itchy inside!!!  I am sitting here rubbing and trying to scratch but of course I can't feel it.  I'm about to jump out of my skin!

Happy Friday all...

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone

Hope you reach that itch Michelle ....it just figures when that happens you are in a public place where itching could be embarrassing ?...happy Friday to you too

I know Sarah. That is my jekyll and Hyde coming out lol. I have no will power anymore. Love the stories (arch purple and Sarah). So funny we have talked about this before too. Oh gosh...

As you know I do like to laugh. Really hope you all don't mind me sharing his story. While on kids and body parts. When my son was in second grade...I picked him up from school. ( you moms with boys may know what I mean, boys don't talk like girls do). Anyway we had the usual how was your day. "good". Well when we got home we were having snack together. And he said "mom, jonathan got in big trouble today." ( poor Jonathan got in trouble often). So I said " what did Jonathan do". He says ( very matter of fact). " he drew a vagina". At this point I was trying not to 1. Laugh 2. Be shocked. I said "really". He said yes the teacher caught him during inside recess. He then says. " I don't even know what a vagina is". Oh my gosh. Needless to say jonathan had much older siblings and was very educated about no Santa and many other things. I tried to tell this story to my husband and just couldn't help but laugh until I cried. To this day I am really not sure how you even draw such a thing but anyway.....there is my funny Friday story for you all. Hope it is not offensive

Kiwi mum. Just wanted to say I will be thinking of your friend. I too have a chemo lounge friend. We still keep n contact. I do know what you mean. It is those things that make me feel less confident. We just have to remember we are all unique. I have met several stage three and stage four girls many years out

Sorry for the long post. Have a great weekend everyone

• ReadingMama
    edited December 2011

achpurple - very cute!

Mamachick - yes, 1.5 hours is a long time.  I'm not sure how many trmts, he wrote the script for 30, but his asst said she's never seen anyone go that long.  Since 2/3 of the breast was no longer red before the trmts, I'm hoping that I will go 4 times next week (they are closed Friday) and be done with it.  But we'll see.

SarahUK - great to see you.

Eema - sorry no help from me, but sending hearling thoughts your way.

KiwiMum - a month off sounds great - enjoy!!!!

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Good evening Ladies!

ReadingMama, It is so great that your PS/you have access to HBO (not TV), this is wonderful for helping in the healing of tissue.  Sounds like you are improving, so keep up the good work. I am sure it is a hassle, but so great he is proactive.

Eema-- I am so sorry you are having trouble, maybe time to check out another PS?  Since there was none of your usual humor in your post, I know you are down.  I wish I could come take you out for a drink and give you a hug.  I will be thinking of you, let us know what you find out.

KiwiMum--so funny your children start summer break and mine begin their winter break.  I love the summer.  Are you getting ready for that Christmas day swim?

You all have me howling over the body parts stories, so funny how kids think.

Kmur--I was worried about you after one of your earlier posts, glad everything was ok at your onc appt.  I saw my surgical oncologist today (he did the mastectomies and my port).  He usually has a bunch of residents following him around and today he was solo (didn't even bring nurse in room??).  He admired my plastic surgeon's work and did exam.  Last year I was horrified at all the handsome young residents looking at my precancer breasts and post surgical scars, this year I was looking forward to showing off my new self.  He did go over stats related to reoccurance post mastectomy in breast tissue and chest wall (blah, blah, blah). 

good night ladies.