Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

Yay, Meegan!  Glad you're home.  Oh, wishing DH had a video of that.  LOL!  I hope you slept through the worst of it, and now you're home free!  

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2011

o2bhealthy - glad dh is doing better. and congrats on your second job! I'm sure the scheduled will work out, it sounds quite flexible and a great org.

kiwimum, hope you are feeling better also. SO, so sorry about your friend, I'm angry at the doctor too, that seems crazy to just give up now, esp if she recently did chemo and was due to start rads??

burley, so sorry about your friend.  people suggested ginger to me also, I couldn't stand it.  But ginger tea wasn't so bad and peppermint hard candies and peppertmint tea helped me.

profbee = jack sounds so cute.  my dd (11) never wanted much, where my ds (8) list is so long and this is very sad, his top item is an Iphone 4S, which, no he is definately NOT getting.  My sister took the kids for the weekend and they went to the museum of natural history and my ds wanted to buy everything...luckily he always hears no, but still its not exactly how I would want him to act.  The cute side is everything he opens he loves and it is always "EXACTLY what I wanted!!!". 

I have to go now, but I would like to chime in later on HER2+.

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Meegan- so glad you are home!!! Sounds like you had an ordeal, but are feeling better.  I could read back, but now I can't, what actually did you have done. I know a BMX, I think. 

Kiwimum and Burley- been thinking about you all with your friends and their mets.  So hard to hear about.  I can say I don't lurk on the Stage VI too much because my head takes me back to all of the what ifs.

Can't weigh in on the ER+/PR+, HER2+ as being triple neg.  Though going back to what Michelle has said about Herceptin.  It is very upsetting to hear that meds might be held from stage 4 ladies. I agree with Probee and wanting to know more about my specific type, but the info out there just doesn't answer it all and sometimes it tells too much than back to the what ifs.  Can't live there anymore. Have to get back into life.

Welcome Heather! Keep the positive attitude.  It helps so much and I agree with Michelle, don't eat your favorite foods. Didn't have rads. Yay for your first treatment down.

Not a control freak, very type B and even more so now.  Though when it comes to Christmas decorations can get a little controlling, but I gave it all up to the DH and kids this year.  Tired of doing it all or having to fix it, so it is staying as is.  Needless to say it was cut back this year.  Did more last year while in treatment just to make sure that it was still special for the kids.

Have a great rest of the day!

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited December 2011

Meegan - very happy to hear you are home.

Heather - welcome!

So I have a bit of an issue.  Last year with my dx we had a very quiet Thanksgiving, just our little family (DH, our two high school  boys and me).  At Christmas it was pretty much the same thing.  Since I could not decorate the male members said we really did not need to, all that matters was that we were all together and enjoying each others' company.  How sweet, right?

Now to this year.  Thanksgiving was again just our little family since I had my revision surgery and wasn't up to the big extended family thing.  But I am feeling great now and wanting to really decorate the house for Christmas, although I am not suppose to lift heavy items, etc... for at least two more weeks.  But once again the males members of my little family are saying the same thing about not needing to decorate and "all that matters is that we are all together this year enjoying each other's company".  I am annoyed.  I want to decorate the house (don't need a lot of stuff, but at least a tree this year would be nice).  Any advise?  Should I just go along with the guys want?

Thank you. 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

Meegan - about the arm...is it hot to the touch and swollen??  I only ask because I would hate for you to develop celluitis...has your doctor talked to you about the risk of lymphedema?   it sounds like your arm has had a traumatic event and it should be watched closely...here is a link to learn more about the risks of LE and how to find a good therapist http://www.stepup-speakout.org/

ProudMom - I would let the 'men' know that you really want things to feel normal this year and would really like to decorate and have a tree.  They are probably thinking that they are 'helping' you by not putting added stress on you for the holidays...  

Hugs to all!!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

trying to catch up on all the posts!  I miss you all when I don't get to read for a few days.

Meegan, so glad you are home and doing so well, keep up the good work.

Back tomorrow for my 3 month onc visit, and go to PS on friday for my tattoos.  Not even sure what to say about how I feel to my onc.  One minute I feel fabulous and the next moment I don't, everyone saying I look great, feeling just alittle blah, and the holiday stress.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Meegan - glad things are going well.

Christine - I too have up and down days.  I assume it is normal.  Holiday stress cannot be helping any.  I hate to sound like a scrooge, but I absolute hate Christmas.  the actual day is fun, but all the craziness, gift shopping, etc leading up to it is just miserable for me.  It always has been.

I had my second post diagnosis mammogram today.  "Nothing suggestive of cancer" was the final word.  Whoo hoo!  I celebrated with a slice of cake from Piece of Cake - the best cakes on earth.  If you ever need one for a special occassion, they ship!! Tongue out  The white chocolate one is to die for.

Thanks again to Cristy and Michelle for hanging out with me on FB while I waited for what seemed like forever in the waiting room today!!! 

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Good to hear from you Meegan. I am glad the op is over and you are on the road to healing.

Yay for you Lisa. Great news!

Good luck with your onc visit tomorrow Christine.

ProudMom - I agree with Michelle. Tell those men to get you a tree quicksmart.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2011

Welcome Heather. Sorry you have to join us but agree you'll fit right in!

Kiwimum - A field trip to the beach sounds heavenly since it is cold here. Please know that I am praying for your friend ((Hugs))

Readingmama - Glad to see you are back... The stories hubby will have to tell huh?  Wishing you a steady & smooth recovery....

Had my first post dx ob/gyn visit today. Went fine, doctor was very sweet... Even said the new foobs look so good she wouldnt have known had it not been in the chart...lol

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the welcoming ladies.  Much appreciated.  Feeling a bit crappy today.  Just so achy and tired and it's only my first day..yikes I'm a little frightened about what I will deal with tomorrow. 

02bhealthy..thanks for the hydration tip..I've drank more lifewater, water, gatorade, etc.  then I have ever drank in a day.  I'm not a big "drinker" throughout the day for some reason.  But, I'm  so freaking dry..It wasn't that hard today. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

MEEGAN... you are home... rest up!!!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Heather hang in there, you will have worse days for sure, but then you will have better ones that follow.  Don't drink any of those fav beers either....you might not want them later...not just the day of chemo the whole time.  When I found that out, I systematically went to all the fast food joints I could stand during chemo, I still can't drive in some of the parking lots without gagging. All in my head maybe, but I really don't think so. Either way, it worked!  And just in case you missed the post, my NP reminded me no toxic sex!  Like anyone has that energy in chemo....lol.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Toxic sex??

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2011

That so makes me laugh!!!!  Has anybody really felt like sex??? I am hoping to get my mojo back soon, when does this happen? Any thoughts on this?

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Ahhh, yes I remember the warning about toxic sex.  I agree like I would care for in the 3 days it took to clear my system. 

kennylynne-  Mine never really came back, but I have some underlying circumstances.  Menopause does not help.  It does come back though. 

Christine- hope the onc went well today.  And I am curious to hear about your tats!

Seeing a PS in Charleston on the 19th.  So excited!!!!! No I am not being sarcastic, I really am excited!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

My mojo came back after rads when I didn't have to pick myself up off the floor from fatigue anymore.  But sadly my DH's mojo went bye bye - really think he still sees himself as the caregiver.....he's a retired paramedic - job hazard I guess? lol.  I keep telling him I have enough mojo for the both of us!

I'm not sure if all chemo drugs come with that warning - I seem to remember the strongest warnings coming with the red devil.   

• profbee
    edited December 2011

Yeah...it hasn't been happening for us either.  sigh. 

• profbee
    edited December 2011

Okay...just read some info on drinking.  So, now I guess really any alcohol at all isn't good.  It said even 3 glasses a week could raise recurrence rate.  Wow.  This makes me kinda sad, and I'm really not a big drinker.  Are you guys cutting down or cutting out drinking?

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

Mojo...what mojo?  

Drinking...I am not a huge drinker but if I am in a social setting and I would like to have an adult beverage or two then I will...life to too damn short and really it's all a crap shot anyway!  JMHO anyway...

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

They just had a segment on the news about breast cancer and any alcohol being bad... BUT then they went on to say that no one knows how environmental things affect cancer... like pesticides, chemicals etc... I can't live thinking something might make a recurrance more prevalent... everything in moderation, except toxic chemicals... those I avoid.

• christine47
    edited December 2011

profbee, the studies on drinking have been so conflicting over the years.  I am not a big drinker, but every once in awhile enjoy a few cosmos, etc.  So like everything else, moderation.

my DH and I are finally getting back to normal, well as normal as you can get now with memopause, over 40 and with 2 kids.  He is still afraid of the new parts.

I was never told about toxic sex during chemo, just told not to get pregnant! 

Mamachick, I have heard some great things about the docs in Charleston (not just Dr. Massey), I am excited for you too.

Heather, welcome, hope you are feeling well.

Saw my onc today.  They will call me with labs, but he thought I was doing well.  He wants me to continue working only part time for 3 more months.  I was shocked when he told me he would continue my restrictions.  We work for the same health care company, I am actually relieved, and fortunate that I can work part time and still keep same benefits, etc.

So friday is my day for the tats, I am excited (I think).  I have deciede exactly where I want then and the size.  Hope my PS is on the same page.

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

sagina...thanks for the tip...really no beer the entire time...geez..I was looking forward to having a couple over the weekend just to unwind a little, but I sure don't want to hate it...So do you end up hating everything you ate or drank during chemo or how does that work. 

Toxic sex..that's funny...my mojo has been on a hiatus since my son was born....was just coming back..then the "you have breast cancer" call came and all bets were off..now I'm lucky I can stay awake until 9:00. 

Can any of you tell me if you felt "foggy" after chemo..I can't focus, can't see as sharp, etc.  It's horrible.  I don't know if there is something wrong or if this is normal..Thanks for your help.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Heather - I don't know about the vision, but lack of focus and "chemo brain" is very normal.  Oddly, my vision improved with chemo.  Not sure what that was about.

I think the taste thing depends.  My onco warned me about eating favorite foods because I would not like them anymore.  Not so much for me, but I did not have severe taste issues.  

So, with the except of two family members, got all my xmas shopping done today on the computer.  Woo hoo.  Of course, the two that are left are the most difficult to shop for.  

I go tomorrow to close on my mortage refinance.  Can't wait - I will miss two mortgage payments which is awesome with all the xmas shopping. then my new mortgage is $450 less than my old one - WOO HOO!!  

Is everyone freezing like we are tonight?  Supposed to be super cold tonight.  Maybe some snow and ice in the northern suburbs.  

• Druanne
    Druanne Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2011
    I am not technically a "survivor" yet but can I join your club?? Laughing Perty please?? Wink
  • christine47
    edited December 2011

Heather,

I remember being very "foggy" after chemo.  I had TAC.  I can still remember feeling out of it for several days at a time.  I promise it gets better.  I don't hate anything I ate or drank during chemo.  I always craved mexican food when my taste buds recovered from a round of chemo, and still love mexican.

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Druanne, of course you can join us!  Just bring your sense of humor.  Are you having chemo??

Lisa, congrats on the refinancing, I am sure that is a great feeling. I thought you were in GA?  Is it could there?

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Druane - Welcome - please join.  I think we have one or two others who are relative newbies too.  Its all good.

Has anyone seen Kim (kmur)?  Maybe I missed that she was going out of town or something.  Seems like she has not been around lately. 

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

It got cold today christine.  Yes, I am in atlanta.  

• Druanne
    Druanne Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome!! :) Not sure if I am having chemo yet....am seeing oncologist for the first time tomorrow. Just found out today that different mass I found in my RIGHT breast is NOTHING! YAY!! And node under left armpit on cancer side is cancer cell FREE! YAY!! Will see my surgeon again on Monday to schedule my lumpectomy.....It got cold here in Wisconsin today too (what a SURPRISEWink) but the sun shone most of the day!! I have a fire going outside and think I may crack open a beer and celebrate the good news I received today!!
  • kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies

Glad to hear I am not the only one without mojo...... hopefully soonFrown Druanne you are a survivor as soon as you are dx.... at least thats what I was told.

Heatherb8 yes it is very normal to feel that way, hang in there. One day at a time. Hugs