Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to make Saturday a girls day out.  Our farmer's market at our swanky Pearl complex (an old brewery they have converted) is being held in conjunction with a Christmas mercado (an open air Mexican market, foods, gifts, crafts) and a Tamale fest.  Then in the evening this part of the riverwalk (the museum portion) will be lit up for Christmas.  Sounds like a fun day out. 

Profbee~have they considered an inhaler just to get the irritation down? We had to resort to that with my daughter a few years ago.

Meegan~thinking of you!

Kim~go for it! That artwork was so cute.

Kiwimum~hope your skin heals quickly and fatigue stays at bay. 

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Profbee..I'm glad you got that first one behind you..but "gladder" you got to do something fun with your hubby..I miss those days when Santa was on the young mans mind. We also had to look through all those Sunday ads!!  So much fun..enjoy that little guy..and hope you kick that cough soon.

Kiwimum...YAY for field trips...man I miss that too...and I just had to say..me too with the snacking before dinner...I am sooooo hungry when my son comes home from school ..he has a snack and I join himSmile I always tell myself not to..but I'm not a good listener!!

Gina...wow...we have farmers markets here,but not like that....I hope you have a blast..and whoop it up with those girls!! Something tells me that tamales in SA would be so very yummy.

Wish I could go back..I know I'm missing something...I hope you all know..each of you I do consider a friend even if I can't see you each day..I do think of each of you every day.

Good wishes to you Meegan..I KNOW you will do great and we will be here when you are ready to chat again

Michelle..hope your husband is feeling good now??

Hope everyone is having a good day...sorry to ramble again

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Okay, I just can't seem to get here as often, but I wanted to let Meegan know I am thinking about you tomorrow.  I hope your recovery is quick!  Let us know when you can how you are doing.

Yay! Kiwiwmum!  I know I told on FB, but wanted to tell you again YAY!!.  I hope the skin heals quickly.

Profbee-I am glad you first Herceptin went well.

Gina- congrats to you too for good results.

Not a tattoo mama.  Not sure if I would be brave enough. My sister got one last year after my DX.  She is a BC survivor too.  Her's is very visible.  She put it on her inner forearm and it is pretty large.  She designed it herself. It says sister survivors, for her and me.  She tried to get me to get one, but I told her I already was getting 2!!!.

I will meet you in Asheville at the bar, Christine and Kim!  I am not a drinker but I would love to see you two in person! I don't think DH understands the friendships on here either and I too find myself telling people about the girls on here.

Christine you were asking awhile back about decisions, I thought I had my mind made up, but then DH decided to weigh in finally.  I think we are going to wait and go to Charleston next spring/summer for the diep.  I already have so much muscle involvement, don't want to add more muscle.  Hope everyone is having a good week, though I know Meegan will be glad when it is over.Welcome to the new girls.  Can't go back now to see names and my memory is not as good as it use to be.  I wonder why?!?!?!

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Hi everyone, thank you for all the good wishes  - and I definately consider you friends!  I usually say my support group and leave out the online part. 

BS Surgical nurse messed up again today and when I went for my dye at 1pm, there was no record of me.  They called and cleared it up, but wanted me to come back at 3pm.  Since that was when my massage was, I said I couldn't come back til 4pm, which worked out fine...The dye injection hurt more than I remember last time, but the pain in gone quickly.

Last Herceptin went well.  I brought the nurses in kisses and peppermint patties (all white/silver covers) in two vases.  Looks nice and lots of people in the infusion room like to snack. :)

As I don't have a smartphone or an Ipad or even a working laptop at this point, I will not be able to post until I get home, but I'll post as soon as I can. 

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited November 2011

Hey girls!  Finally got time to read through all the posts...

Kiwimum-CONGRATS on being finished!  I did say that on Facebook already I think.  Chemo brain.

Gina-I know I said congrats to you on the scan results, but CONGRATS again!  Yay

Profbee-I hope the cough is clearing up.  I know it's been going on for a while and I'm sure you're very tired of it.  Are you able to sleep?  Is it keeping you up all night?

Christine-I popped 2 Xanax before my nipple tatts.  I was pretty freaked out.   They did hurt even though my boobs are still slightly numb there, and she used a little numbing cream.  Didn't seem to help.

I have a tattoo(s) of 3 butterflies on my hip bone, one big, one medium and one small to stand for my kids and I.  All in different colors.  It's beautiful-if I knew how to post a pic I would.  I will say it hurt like HELL there because of the thin skin...I was in tears the entire time.  But it was worth it.

Hope everyone else is doing well!  Have a terrific evening :-)

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2011

Hi all!  Just swinging by to let you know DH is doing really good!  He is off the pain meds and now chopping at the bit to get out of the house.  He cannot drive until after his Dec 8th post op appointment and is going a bit stir crazy Laughing

I got my first tattoo for my 40th Birthday in February this year...there are pic's on FB.   I went to Vegas with a couple of girlfriends and three of us got tat's on our feet...'Live', 'Laugh' and 'Love'.  I got the 'Live' with a butterfly. 

Profbee - I miss those days when my kidos were little and shopping was so much fun :)

Gina - Yay and clean scan!!! Time to celebrate...have fun on Saturday day out!   

Meegan - I hate scheduling mix ups, you handled that well! Hope you enjoyed your massage.

Christine - haven't had nip tat's yet but will probably get them done if Vinnie Myers ever heads out to AZ...he does FABULOUS 3D work!  I hope you have a pain free experience...

Stacey - I am glad you have make your decision and I think you will be thrilled with the DEIP

Kiwi - congrat's again of finishing rad's!!!

Hi Burley!!!

Hugs and well wishes to all...sorry if I missed anyone!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

See Burley's tattoo story - that right there is why I will likely never have one.  The pain!  At least she is honest about it.  I remember when I did laser hair removal and they said it feels like a bee sting.  Yeah, right.  Maybe one hair does.  But when an entire hair filled area is getting zapped it is like 100 bee stings at the same time.  I cried.   

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

Agree with you Lisa about Laser hair removal pain! 

I am hurting.  All I can say is "ow".  My arm pit is blistered and my chest wall feels like constant burning.  I know I'm at the end and this will be over soon BUT ow!

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

On a brighter note, because I'm trying to distract myself, I went to a costume hire place today to get a costume for a Xmas party tomorrow night. 

After trying on many outfits I settled on a retro air hostess outfit, with a cool thunderbirds type hat.  The guy helping me kept bringing me costume ideas that were cleavage-y. It's a bit hard to wear something like that with one breast!!  I was deflecting him as best I could. The air hostess costume has a button up shirt which will hide the burn and and lack of cleavage.

I'm planning on popping some painkillers and going to the party. I'm sick of BC and SEs stopping me having fun.

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Good for you Kiwimum!! Have a GREAT time at the party tomorrow! you deserve it.

Ohhhhh I forgot to mention...I got a 2nd part time job!  I my hours were cut back in August and things have been tight but God always provides!   I am so excited to have more income coming in and I am really looking forward to this new challenge...I will be an admin assistant for a local charity that screens, trains and licenses families to be foster parents for children that need placement in my community.  What a blessing to be part of such a wonderful organization!   I truly hope that the position will become a full time job in the future...I am a little nervous about juggling two jobs and although I have full blessing of my current employer, I do worry about conflicts.  Thankfully the new job offers extreme flexibility, I can work from home and pick my hours...I just don't want work taking over my life and interfering with family time...got to get better at managing my time :)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

So... during my surgery two weeks ago, I asked my PS to remove a mole/freckle, up there under the breast... turns out it was atypical... they got clear margins, but oh boy... not what I expected. My new favorite motto, be proactive.

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Whew! Glad you were proactive Betsy!  

• burley
    edited November 2011

Wow Betsy!  Scary.  I'm so glad everything was clear.

Kiwimum-sorry you're in pain.  I hope it clears up soon.  You're costume sounds so cute-I hope you have a great time.

That sounds like an awesome job, Michelle.  I would love to work for an organization like that.  I had wanted to go into social work but never quite got that far.  Sigh.  And now money doesn't really permit me going back to school-heck, I need to save up for my son to start in a couple of years!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Michelle- so glad your hubby is doing so well.  I cringe when I hear back surgery, but he seems to be doing so good with it.  Congrats on the new job, sounds like one you are going to enjoy.  We know a lot of foster families, I am sure that you will be a big help.

Besty- good job in being proactive!

Okay, no tattoos for me unless they are necessary, if you know what I mean. And it looks like no hair removal unless it is with a razor.

Burley- how have you been feeling? Getting any better?

Kiwimum- have a really good time at your party, it sounds like fun!

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi Everyone, 

So quiet today....I hope you ladies are well today.

Kiwimum..I hope you are feeling less pain today. I was uncomfortable..but I really do not have as much feeling in that area anymore. Good thing I guess...I did burn as well.

Michelle so happy to hear your husband is feeling good post surgery..and congrats on the new job

Kim..hope you are healing well post surgery and you are happy with your results.

Mamachick..I don't drink much,and as far as meeting you and Christine...it could be any old where..still not sure about when. My son will begin Spring break April 7( his last day). We will also have a long weekend first weekend in May ( Derby Week)..Then we get into graduation..and then summer??? Anyway..all I'm rambling about is I'm happy with anywhere.

This week has been cooking week. I usually make about 18  different cookies/candies for gifts etc....I'm not sure how it happened,but a couple of turtles found themselves in my mouth..and a couple of cookies too..and some bread. I could go on,but will not bore you..

Hope you all have a great day

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2011

Happy Thursday ladies..

Kim - The cooking sounds fabulous. Eat just one cookie for me, ok?

Kiwimum - I hope your burn is getting better and you are having a great time at your party..

Michelle - Glad things with hubby are going well and Congrats on the new job!!! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Betsy - So glad you are being proactive & caught it........

Hope everyone else is doing well. Take care....

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Hi girls,

Boy it has been quiet on here.  Guess everyone is busy getting ready of the holidays.

Kiwi, hope you are doing better.  You dress in costumes for Christmas there??

Michelle, congrats on new job.

Kmur, send some of those baked gifts to me!  I love homemade deserts and candy.

Readingmama, I think you have had your surgery now, my thoughts are with you for a smooth recovery.

Kim, hope you are feeling better, too.

Profbee, what is Jack getting from Santa?  I wish my boys were still that age when it comes to shopping for toys.

Hope all are doing well!

• sagina
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone, just checking in, I usually check in afternoon's and miss all the fun....I think I missed it again! lol.  Smiles and hugs to everyone!

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hey Everyone,

Oh gosh..me too Christine..I miss the days of cute toys..it's all about Xbox now.  I do still enjoy his company ...at least the teenage years have been good so far.

I will say I have scarfed down a cookie for all ( and then some). Cooking helps me get into the Christmas spirit. I think the Holidays feel different though now that my son is older. We used to make gingerbread houses and we pull salt water taffy..really fun to do.

Anyway..not much to report really..today my son is shadowing another High School. I like this one so will be interesting to see how he feels about it. He was raised in the Catholic School System..and this school is actually a Christian School..but my feeling is that religion is incorporated more than our Catholic schools. Ok I'm done rambling ( sorry )

Have a good day everyone...I will be out with the husband person tonight so have fun girls.

Gina ..have fun at the market and keep sharing those pictures of food!!! YUMMY

• burley
    edited December 2011

Omgosh girls, one of my friends from my mastectomy group just had her cancer come back.  She was diagnosed the same month as me, and had her BMX the next month like I did.  They think one of the spots is mets.  I'm just devastated.

• burley
    edited December 2011

And thank you for asking about me.  I'm feeling better-had an appointment with a GI doctor today and he said the pancreatitis cleared itself this time.  I'm not allowed to drink for 2 months, then only in moderation after that-no binge drinking.  Dammit.  No more drunken bingo nights for me I guess.  I told him about being nauseous every day for months and he told me to go buy crystallized ginger and suck on a piece of it every time I feel nauseous.  HELL NO!  Can you imagine that? 

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Sorry about your friend. :(

I am here waiting on my mom to arrive. Big birthday weekend in our family. Lots of family time in the next 48 hours. No relaxing for me.

Have a great weekend all!

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited December 2011

burley - I am so sorry about your friend.  I think I can speak for all of us and say CANCER SUCKS!  My thoughts are with your friend.

Glad you are feeling better.  For nausea my doctor told me sucking on lemon lollipops will help along with drinking ginger tea, and it did help me.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Latest cancer breakdown . . . God, I just want my old life back.  I have been doing so good lately.  I am thinking less and less about cancer and feeling more and more my old self.  I have even gotten back to buying a few bigger ticket items for my house (for over a year I have been hesitating with the thought of why waste the money if I won't be here to enjoy it) and thinking about the future in a positive way.  Until tonight.  My mom is in town and we were going over her will that she just updated.  No big deal, right.  We had been talking about various "if so and so dies first" hypotheticals with no problem.  Somewhere after the will but during the discussion of the power of attorney stuff (which I am my mom's designee for) the thought crosses my mind that (a) there is a realistic chance that I may not outlive my mother and (b) I probably should have all of these documents prepared for me in case this cancer comes back.  I was trying to shut down the thought in my mind but it must have shown on my face because my mom started crying, at which point I completely lost it.

Blah.  I feel like I just lost months worth of progress on the attitude. 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Oh Lisa,

I am sorry you had a bad night...we all have those moments of losing it.  Tomorrow is another day and I hope you are feeling much better.  Discussing death, wills, etc is so stressful.  It is a big deal, so unfair we would ever need to think about such things. 

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2011

Lisa - I understand completely. I start chemo later this month and went for my scans yesterday, and until I hear from the doctor, I'm going nuts.

I started a thread a few days ago called "Trying to Get my Head out of Cancerland," and there were some really helpful replies. BC takes so much more away then just our breasts. We fight almost every day to keep ourselves and our spirits up and running. Don't think that one breakdown negates all that great attitude you've been working on. You're being honest with yourself, which probably means you're a pretty strong woman. Stare that fear in the face and then slap it back where it belongs.

Then get back to redecorating the house!

Wishing you the best.

• sagina
    edited December 2011

Lisa I feel ya.....talking about that stuff is just ugly no matter the situation, but do it once and put it away....for a long long time!

Burly so sorry about your friend. I met a wonderful 28 year old her on the boards then in person, stage 4 mets......

Rachelvk hang in there.  I"m triple neg too and supposedly we respond well to chemo...I did.  Had chemo first to shrink the massive crap, then surgery, then rads.  The port left a worse scar than the surgery!  So now a few Chemo hints - as explained to me by the NP - your bodily fluids are toxic - no sex for a few days afterwards.  Ok do I hear the entire boards laughing out loud till your belly hurts, I mean really, no sex during the first days after chemo - really the last thing on your mind.

Anyway Rachel wanted to give you a chuckle to take with you into the infusion room.  Emend was my best friend.

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Thanks girls.  I am sure I will be fine tomorrow.  I just can't wait for the time where these crazy moments no longer happen. Before all of this, I was the most together, controlled, strong person I knew.  Now I fall apart for what seems like no reason at all.  It does not happen often anymore, but it still happens.  

Rachel - good luck with your scans.  I understand your going nuts right now.  The prechemo scans were the turning point for me.  Once those were clear, I really started getting back to normal (to the extent that what I am now is normal . . . lol).  I got the call with my PET results about 5 minutes into a deposition and therefore could not take the call.  I could see by the caller ID on my cell that it was my doctor.  I was a wreck.  I can honestly say I probably committed malpractice in that deposition because I could not pay one bit of attention.  All I wanted was to get out of there and listen to the message.  I was literally shaking all over as I walked to my car to play the message.  With that good news, I finally felt like maybe i would be okay, which felt heavenly after two months of bad news and excruciating fear.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2011

Gina - Laughing

Thanks for the belly laugh. I am very thankful that I have a wonderfully supportive boyfriend. He found me in the bathroom crying earlier as I stared at the hair that's going to be cut tomorrow in preparation for chemo and he did a good job at making me smile again - brushing his receding hairline, he reminded me that at least mine will grow back... I suppose I can spare him the toxic sex for a few days! (Not that there's been much post-op activity. A longer recovery period before chemo would have been nice).

Lisa - Glad you're feeling better. And I'm really glad we've all got each other for support. 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

Oh, Lisa.  You've been such a rock!  How could you NOT think that when looking in your mom's eyes?  She's your MOM!  She saw your thoughts on your face.  I know it was an awful afternoon for you, but what love...what empathy...it's such a beautiful illustration of love between a mom and daughter, two women who have both lived through your cancer.  Tons of love sent to you tonight, my friend.  I'm sorry.  

Burley, I'm so sorry about your friend.  I popped on a Her2 positive site the other day to ask a question...and seeing LOTS of recurrences there (despite assurances that the stats don't reflect the latest treatments and my outlook is great) was way scary.  As for ginger, I prefer real ginger snap cookies.  :)  

We all have our ups and downs.  I was so down this morning...just tired of this whole thing...want HAIR, want to kick this damn cough.  Yesterday, a neighbor I haven't seen in a bit (it's getting colder so we don't see the neighbors as much) was out for a run and came running over..."Oh, I want to see your hair!"  (She thought since I had some fuzz this summer that I'd have hair now)  ugh...I'm totally BALD...that second round of chemo...yeah, lost my hair AGAIN.  Hubby and I laughed, but really he was like, "Could she have said something worse?"  I laughed so hard thinking of her bounding over thinking she was being encouraging.  LOL.  

We are buying cute stuff for Jack--the new, bigger Batcave from Imaginext (he has one already, but this was his HUGE Santa request!), superhero stuff...a Wii game or two (we shop for us and for 2 sets of grandparents too...oy).  It was fun to do with my hubby.  There's an adorable website where you can put in your kid's pic and santa sends a video saying he's on the nice list.  Jack's eyes were so HUGE watching it.  It was really cute.  tomorrow we may go get our tree.

In other news, yeah, I'm going to have to make another batch of butter cookies.  LOL!  :)