Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2011
    Options

I like the heart-pouinding spin classes, weight lifting exercises and power yoga sessions. I do better with wipeout exercise, as I find it to have great mood stabilizing properties. Gentle yoga-like activity tends to either bore me or stress me out. Chest presses relax me. Funny how that is so individual, isn't it?

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited June 2011
    Options

It is very individual.  The studies do show that you really have to get the heart rate up in order to get real benefit.  My yoga sessions are not easy.  If I do them right, they wear me out big time.  And the Pilates, if I do it right I ache the next day.  I need to get more weights in!

The Yoga tape I have is Yoga for Breast Cancer:  From Surviving to Thriving

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited June 2011
    Options

Just thought I'd join in. I do eat pretty healthy, lots of veggies but I know I need to get more whole grain into my diet. Believe it or not I don't eat a lot of bread. (noodles/pasta another story but I don't overdue those). I also exercise regularly although with my exchange surgery this past Friday I can walk but not power walk or weight train. They don't want me to bounce the girls around to much or lift, pull and push stuff for a while. Frown

I also take supplement including ones recommended by my PC and onc (Vitamin D3 & Calcium).

IMHO there are 3 things that are a must to be healthy and fight of any disease.
    1. Eat a healthy diet
    2. Exercise daily
    3. Don't neglect your mental health (reduce stress)

Sometimes I think #3 is the most important.

----------------------------------------------

I too am an X-smoker. I was about 1/2 pack or less a day. It's been almost 6 years. Don't miss it nor could I afford to do it on all levels any more. Wish my husband would quit. He doesn't smoke our home or near me. There are times when we are walking on opposite sides of the street.

If you need incentive to quit: breast cancer is the #2 cancer killer of women… guess which cancer is #1! We do know the link between smoking and lung cancer. (source)

------------------------------------------------

"If you control your weight after a diagnosis of breast cancer, you'll be less likely to die.' (source)
  • Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2011
    Options

Susieq -

Congrats on a really positive, informative thread!

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited June 2011
    Options

Lago, I don't eat any breads or pasta anymore.  I think it has made a huge difference for me.  Milk is another thing I gave up.  Hated to do it, but it too has bee helpful.  No more sinus headaches.

I definitely eat more nuts now too.  And salmon.   

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

LtotheK

I found the dvd ;)  LBBC site says I have to telephone to order it.  Going to do that right now! YEAH.  Thank you  - SUSIEQ58 - isn't this thread YOU started wonderful!  If anybody, and I am serious about this, tries to harm this thread, I am going to remind you all of that man in Tienneman Square who stood in front of a tank!  

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi girls - glad you like the thread. Hopefully we can share good information that will help us.

Also, thankyou for your support re the smoking. I had almost stopped when I had my first surgery, but when I found out I needed chemo, that was the end of it. I read Alan Carr's book and all I got out of that was to call it 'stopping' as opposed to 'quitting'. I've  been thinking of trying Champix - I've spoken to a few people to ask them if it works if you really don't want to stop. It has for a couple, but one friend at work started again as soon as he went off the Champix. My GP said that is what usually happens. I know you have to want to stop but I just can't get to that place. We are due to go on a big overseas trip to the UK and Paris and I know I should try then, but poor DH would probably be driven out of his mind.

Ooops - better go and get ready for work - will check in later.

Sue

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2011
    Options

GREAT THREAD suzieq - Couldn't ever find a thread where I belonged and this sounds like it! Will go back & read from the start. Excited to discover this today. THANK YOU!

Arlene

• pip57
    edited June 2011
    Options

Arlene, I want that kitten...please?

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

OK, all those Yoginis in waiting - here's the dvd LtotheK referred to:

http://www.yogaforcancer.com/   

Lovely site, I just exchanged emails with Kate Lybenesky and am off to the Post Office to mail her my check for my DVD.  Her website uses PayPal, and I don't, but she answered my email in just a few minutes!  Really REALLY looking forward to this DVD.  Thanks again LtotheK

• StaceyLynn
    StaceyLynn Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2011
    Options

Lovely, peaceful, informative, and supportive thread.

Will chime in later, but right now I'm having shortness of breath.

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Also check out a Gilda's Club near you. Lots of great (free) wellness programs.
  • 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2011
    Options

I must admit that on the food part my vices remain. My rationale is that cancer gives you a divine right to chocolate, and that the happiness I dervice from chocolate, ice cream and the like should more than "boost my immune system" and "make up" for the supposed risk of recurrence. I can't let go of every vice...

• Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2011
    Options

Fantastic thread!  I love learning from all of you ladies!  Totally agree about stress Lago, it's the worst and I have been working to keep it out of my life as much as possible.  I'm a commuter and 'road rage' was always an issue, but I cannot believe how much more calm I am now, guess it has to do with actually having had cancer and thinking: "what's a bit of traffic now?".  Going to check out the book that thenewme reco'd, sounds like something that could help me as I feel I could never meditate since my mind always seems to be racing lol.

Diet and exercise are now more important to me than they ever have been, but like Claire, I love to enjoy what I'm eating and if I am presented with with the opportunity to indulge in a lemon tart or amazing buttery croissant, I totally will as I am active and eats tons of fresh fruit and veggies now.  

I also see a naturopath to help with all of the supplements and post-BC maintenance and any Tamox effects.  I'm on quite a few, and some I miss every other day or so, depending on my diet, but I really feel like I'm the healthiest I've ever been (never thought I would say that!).  Here's what I take:

~ DIM (has curcumin, green tea extract in as well)

~ Wobenzyme (for current tendonitis and back problems)

~ Probiotics

~ Omega 3 fish oil

~ Vit D

~  Co-enzyme Q10

~ B12

~ Cal/mag/vit D liquid

~ Melatonin

Used to have horrible sleeping habits, but now I get to bed earlier, NO tv, and I now use a sleep mask, something I never thought I would do lol.  Have also changed over all of my personal care products and make-up as I feel that it's quite important.

Anyway, am loving all of the suggestions here and look forward to more! :) 

• pip57
    edited June 2011
    Options

Athena, chocolate is NOT a vice.  It is a necessary medicinal food that we MUST have every day.  

My dh and I are in a stressful time right now as we are selling our home of 35 years.  It is actually a farm that has been in the family for 90 years.  However....the plan is to move into a waterfront home closer to his family.  So the end result will hopefully be less stress! 

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited June 2011
    Options

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79/topic/770191?page=2#idx_45

This is a thread where we have been posting power packed food recipes and ideas, just thought some of you might like to take a peak and add some ideas as well.

This thread is a breath of fresh air by the way

• TokyoSing
    TokyoSing Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thank you SusieQ for starting this... may I join you ladies?  I am in the process of moving to Singapore after 10 years in Chicago and 2 in Japan.

I have practiced yoga for 10 years now ( and only stopped for 6 weeks post mastectomy). I am going to have to find another acupuncture practioner when I get to Singapore.  The one I have here is Japan is fabulous. It will be a challenge to continue to brisk walk 5 K in the sweltering heat, but I noticed that the American Club has spin classes! (they don't have them in Tokyo).

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

I like chocolate but these are my indulgences:

http://www.anglotopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DarrellLeaStrawberryImage_000.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Zcgdan7nYYE/Sgk_HgvMASI/AAAAAAAAAs8/15FGPGUz1_Q/s400/51TP8K60N8L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61T0DW71DYL.jpg

Currently none in the house. When I do snack I try to stick to something a little more healthy like dried apricots, peanut butter (natural) or air popped popcorn

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

Britchick where did you get the info on D? right now I am at 79.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited June 2011
    Options

pip57~

I have had sinus headaches since I was a teen.  You have found milk to be a culprit?

I always get them right before a storm.  No need to look at the weather channel, we know a storm is coming from my headaches.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited June 2011
    Options

hey all -

my vice is sugar, hands down. i gave up all diet coke, etc. no sugar in oatmeal/tea etc, but i love sweets. sigh. i keep my meat organic and down to 2x week, salmon at least 2x, organic produce if i can't peel it. very little dairy and only organic.

it gets to be a thorny dynamic sometimes, trying to balance good eating without raising my familys' red flags. my 10yo son said over the winter, "you know, just because YOU have to eat all this cauliflower stuff doesn't mean WE have to!" omg it was funny and sad at the same time.

@ang: i have heard dairy is a culprit in sinus problems, but never experienced it myself.

my Vit D level was 22 months ago. my onc is going to test it in August. just had a bone density since i'm on Arimidex, but haven't yet heard the result.i take it as a liquid - what's everyone else doing?

thanks again to susieq for starting this thread.

j

• pip57
    edited June 2011
    Options

I get them with weather changes too.  I have a lot of allergies as well.  Although I never considered dairy to be an issue, things have definitely improved since I cut down the milk products.  Now I only have greek yogurt and milk in my one morning coffee.  

Lago, you need to move to Canada.  I am not familiar with any of the vices you show above so there would be no temptation here.  LOL 

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited June 2011
    Options

Lago..I had exchange on Thursday last week. How are you recovering? I hope well!

For those of you seeing a natural or holistic doctor, what else are they having you take? Just curious.... My vitamin D is only 25. It was 29 during chemo. I hope it goes up with the new liquid dose I am on. I still have to avoid the sun so that is not an option.

As far as sweets...I cleaned out the pantry and threw all the bad stuff away just like that. My favorite sweet treats these days are So Delicious Coconut Chocolate Minis (like a frozen fudge bar-made with agave, cocoa and coconut milk), Trader Joes 100 calorie 70% dark chocolate bars or home made banana cinnamon muffins (all organic, whole grain and I use organic honey or agave to sweeten them a little).

I am going nuts not exercising these days but I can't for a few more weeks due to surgery. I am going to go crazy sitting around.....I don't know how to sit still.

• suzieq60
    edited June 2011
    Options

@work - boring. Long meeting coming up 9:30 until 2pm - eeek!!! BTW I am a software engineer and work on insurance software. My new project is starting up, no real work to do yet, just lots of meetings - sigh.

Sue

• PattyS
    PattyS Member Posts: 194
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sue....a software engineer, you must be one smart cookie! I work for the public school system and we are on summer break now. I love the long, lazy days of summer.

I also get headaches when storms move in. I think mine are because of the change in the pressure. Although, I am not quite sure if that is what causes them when a storm comes in.

Sweets are definitely my downfall. I keep reading how sugar is go bad for you.

• suzieq60
    edited June 2011
    Options

I figure that most yummy things are supposedly bad for you - we've only got 1 life, so I eat whatever I like. I did go off chocolate during/after chemo but I finally have my taste for it back unfortunately.

Some things I look at make me feel sick - a definite hangover from the chemo. I used to be a fruit nut (especially stone fruit), but now I can only eat bananas and mandarins. I think it will be a gradual thing getting the taste back.

I am a smart cookie - been in the IT industry since 1971 - but hate the behind the scenes techo stuff, I'm strictly a user interface/database programmer. 

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

Susieq I disagree. There are plenty of things that are good for you that taste good… Kale isn't one of them though Wink I love sushi, even brown rice sushi.

MDG how are you doing? I feel great. Off the tylenol today. Still tender but nothing huge... granted I don't feel well enough to power walk... not that they would let me. I was told no bouncing of the boobs. But I hear you about not being able to do stuff. I need to be careful to not overdue.

Right one is a little squarish on one side but he had to do extra work there so It's swollen. Overall I think they look pretty nice. I'm about the size I would be with my old boobs in a push up bra. It will be interesting to see once they put me in a bra what I really look like. My PS doesn't use compression bras. I just have a compression band on the upper pole. Later I guess he puts the band on the lower pole.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited June 2011
    Options

Does anyone have a favorite brand of CoQ10 to recommend?

Thanks

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited June 2011
    Options

Nice thread! 

Age (mostly menopausal status) makes a huge difference in terms of how we deal with health issues and in reading the various posts, there is a lot said that applies here a lot more either to women who are younger and not as menopausal, OR to those who are older and more menopausal -- but not both.

I'm 9 1/2 years out and fortunate enough to have a low-stress life by habit, but it is literally not possible after chemotherapy to achieve the same nice body effect at age 60 from the same diet and exercise that works for those who are 40 to 50 or even younger. So.... it would be helpful if people could more honestly post at least a general range of where they are age-wise to go with their results from their choices for complementary treatment. Up until age 50 and receiving treatment with steroids and chemo and radiation, my weight was within normal range of BMI.  With absolute rigid diet and exercise 30 minutes a day jumping rope, I managed to get back briefly to my normal range of BMI while I was still in my early 50's. But eating the same diet now that I did in my 50's to lose weight and doing the same exercise 7 days a week produces zero weight loss at age 60, and I'm exhausted by it and sore from it for the rest of the day, not energized by it at all. I do it anyway because it reduces risk, but it is totally useless for weight loss. However, it does help with bone mass and balance and lowering the recurrence rate and lots of other helpful things.

I eat organic and stay away from sugars, including honey, etc., I don't eat potatos, potato products, corn, corn products, white rice, pasta, or anything made from white flour, I would enjoy alcohol but can't drink more than small glass without falling asleep (low stress is low stress I guess!) 

I make choices that keep my lifestyle as simple as possible, which works better than the repetitive routines of yoga for me.

AlaskaAngel

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ang

I found that by going dairy free, I reduced the amount of mucus in my nasal passages to almost nothing!  I still use a Neti pot every day, several times a day during worst allergy season.  Oh, and I don't need to use a breathrite strip to breath thru my nose when I'm sleeping.  Makes it all worth while to me.  Tho, I drool at the thought of sharp, hard cheese, and miss my frozen vanilla yogurt!  Also notice much, MUCH less of the "bloaty" feeling.  My Arimidex stomach/spare tire is much smaller.